HHN 17: Reviews

• 4 months later...

I really enjoyed that year, I thought the house design and overall atmosphere was top notch, better than they were at Sweet 16. I enjoyed all the houses for different reasons, but in terms of jump/scare factor, my two favorite houses were Dead Silence and Nightmare on Elm Street. One detail I would have loved to have seen in the Dead Silence house is during the part where we're up in the shaky rafters and we look down and see Mary Shaw looking up at us, if they had the Mary actually coming up at us slowly that would have been great. I even enjoyed Vampyr for what it was, a party of scantily clad vampire babes. And I have to give props to The Thing for it's animatronics and atmosphere, I really felt the urgency of the situation.

My only real disappointment was with the scarezone/streetmosphere. I was really psyched when I heard that there would be no safe areas in the park, as I really enjoyed the atmosphere of Sweet 16's scarezones, and imagining that all over the park, potential scares ANYWHERE had me really excited, but it might just have been on the nights we went, the theming was there, but there were too many "dead spots" where we were just able to relax and nothing was happening, aside from the occasional visit from the biker gang.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

People will hate me for saying this probably but this was my favorite year, i thought the facade for the entrance to universal was outstanding it was done so well it blew me away. My favorite house from this year and all time was the thing i thought it was so great in detail i thought it followed the movie well it was just great. Another house i was very impressed with was dead silence, i loved the movie and the house was just as good it followed the movie so well, the mary shaws werent as good as i wanted them to be make up wise but still cool. Jacks funhouse i got my best scare of all time in that house but overall not the best house it was a disappointment to me. As for the NLC houses Freddy was the best with Jason in second and Leatherface last.

Castle vampyr was the worst house ive been in IMO did not enjoy it at all. And PS:HMTH really good house i thought it was almost a little funny but got a couple good scares in it. All the scarezones were great IMO i didnt like one more than any others.

Overall this was definatelly my favorite year great detail in the houses pretty cool theme and Jack lol.

• 2 months later...

This was my second year going to HHN and was my second favorite year as of now. The scarezones were lacking as there was pretty much just the one throughout the whole park, but the houses were some of the best I've ever been through and the shows were all really good. Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw is my favorite house ever at the event and Psychoscareapy: Home for the Holidays was such a great concept for a house. Although I'm not a big fan of movie-based houses, the New Line Century characters' houses were all great. Here are my (I'll try to be short) reviews for everything in order of favorites.

HOUSES

1. Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw - Such an amazing house, it really showed what they could do with the soundstages. Great effects and awesome scenes. The dolls heads turning to follow you as you walked into the theater and the walkway that dropped as Mary Shaw it looked like Mary Shaw was falling to her death below you was so cool. The second time I went through we were almost alone the whole time and it was such a great experience.

Ratings:

Story: ***** / 5

Scares:**** / 5

Scenes:***** / 5

Overall:***** / 5

2. A Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers - A really great house starring Freddy. You entered into a tent outside of the soundstage and it was set up to sell Sleep-Well, a drug to prevent dreams. We then entered into a dream and the house from Nightmare on Elm Street appeared in the fog (one of the most amazing facades ever). The scenes were all pretty good and the end felt like a labyrinth with characters appearing from the movies. Freddy looked very authentic through the house.

Ratings:

Scares:***** / 5

Scenes:**** / 5

Overall:***** / 5

3. Psychoscareapy: Home for the Holidays - Such a unique house to me. We walked through a neighborhood where the patients of Shadybrook Hospital had escaped after their van crashed into a house. There were multiple houses in here and the transitions with the fence and Christmas decorations were cool. Definitely a great house just a little low on scares.

Ratings:

Scares: ***/ 5

Scenes: ***** / 5

Overall: **** / 5

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Flesh Wounds - I was scared to death of Leatherface when I was younger and this house really played with that fear. The sliding metal doors throughout were just scares waiting to happen and the finale, running through bed sheets with Leatherface chasing you was so memorable.

Ratings:

Story: *** / 5

Scares: **** / 5

Scenes: ** / 5

Overall: **** / 5

5. Vampyr: Blood Bath - This house was pretty cool and definitely got points because of the outdoor portion.

Ratings:

Story: **** / 5

Scares: ***/ 5

Scenes: *** / 5

Overall: *** / 5

6. Friday the 13th: Camp Blood - The scenes were great but the Jasons in here were very large and scary, I especially remember on putting his machete at my throat near the end of the house.

Ratings:

Scares: **** / 5

Overall: *** / 5

7. The Thing: Assimilation - The concept was cool with the animatronics, but the only time I got through this one I actually missed most of the scares, thus it's low spot.

Ratings:

Scares: ** / 5

Overall: ** / 5

8. Jack's Funhouse in Clown-O-Vision - My only 3-D house I've been through. It was more funny than scary, but I did like the blow-up hallway at the end that you had to push through and had hands pushing back at you.

Ratings:

Story: ** / 5

Scares: *** / 5

Overall: ** / 5

Shows - Not really ranked because they were all so different.

Bill & Ted - The show was funny, but the story wasn't very coherent. Still a good time.

Freak Show - I saw Brian Brushwood in the Freak Show. He's a really talented magician, but I thought the show was too short.

Jack's Carnival of Carnage - Great show that mixed humor and magic. And introduced us all to Chance.

If you got through all this, thanks for reading my review.

• 4 months later...

Initially, I was unimpressed with the event, as a whole. The houses were excellent; Dead Silence and Nightmare on Elm Street are still two of the best and most extravagant houses I've ever been in and and the remaining houses were pretty consistantly scary and fun. Even the lamentable Vampyr: Bloodbath managed to make me scream a few times. The streets were just not what I was used to; truth be told. I wanted scarezones. Lots of scarezones. From the press releases and word of mouth I was expecting scares everywhere; but there were no scares, save Troupe Macabre. While it still ranks as one of my favorite 'zones ever, it was still a bit disappointing.

As my visits increased and the month wore on, though, I found myself deeply, deeply in love with its atmosphere. Especially on those few days of smaller crowds, when you could just hear the music and the wind blowing in the trees. Every so often, a sinister laugh would come from a darkened corner. It reminded me of the 'good ol' days' when the whole park was dark, with simple, eerie red lighting and sound effects piped in from behind doors and windows. 'Safe spots' were few and far between; a drill team or horde could simply appear and wreak havoc. While the danger was not evident in 2007, the haunting and spooky was and it made wandering those dark crossways and sidewalks so much more...Halloween. The only time they've matched it since was the Pumpkin Patch/Skoolhouse zone in 2008. I still love me some scarezones, but those? They're magic.

Mae