HHNXXI Round 2

foREVer56

eview part 2:

i went again last night and stayed until 12:30. it was really packed for a thursday, with 60-120min lines fore everything besides the SS's. i managed WN 3 times, Nightingales and SAWS twice, HoH, IB, Forsaken, and Nevermore once, and no THING. i had an excellent time once again and saw that the casts really can make or break a house. I'll review in order of my favorite to least favorite:

Houses(EDIT: as the withdrwals kicked in and the houses were on my mind nonstop, i realized that WN delivered better than IB did, so i had to switch their rankings.)

1.Winter's Night:ive done this house 6 times, and ive gotten at least 2 scares in each of those runs. this house defenitely shows the best consistency. the facade is incredible, the sets are immaculate, the SA's are on the ball, the cold is an incredible touch and sets an excellent mood for the whole house. makes it incedbily eerie. the forced perspective scene is really something to look at, and works perfectly for getting scares. the bones SA is great at getting scares as well. i see that in the finale they took the flap covering the SA's faces off so they could see better, and they defenitely get way more scares now. they got me every round. The best house since Resserection.

Atmosphere:10/10

Effects:9/10

Scares:9/10

Sets:10/10

Overall:9.5/10

2.In-Between:this line was consistently long, so we said we'll come back to it later. we came later, it said 75 <_<. we got in line and saw the MASSIVE row going all the way around the gates so we figured it had to be longer. it actaully turned out to be only 45 min. this house last time was not scary to me as i missed every SA. this time i saw most of them and now i understand why this is the highest rated house in the past 5 years. this house is spectacular, from the sets to the effects to the actors. the college dorm and tunnel really get you into the house, and the house kicks in and kicks your ass right after that. the winged demons are intense, the first drop door got me real good, the laser room was incredible(loved how they added the strings hanging from the roof to make the lasers feel tangible), the string room was trippy. everything in this house made it work. the 3d was defenitely put to good use. excellent house that demonstrates how a 3Dhouse should be done.

Atmosphere:9/10

Effects:10/10

Scares:10/10

Overall:9.8/10

3.Nightingales:the banshees save this house SA wise. the sets and ambiance are excellent, but most of the male cast look incredibly bored, especially cast B, specifically the finale & rip scene. some fire their guns, but they look like they'd rather be somewhere else. besides that, this house is fun to walk through. it's fast paced and awesome to look at, the scares are present mostly in cast a, but cast b has a few as well. ive seen the rip scene 5 times in 4 run thoughs, so its defenitely sped up A LOT. such an awesome thing to watch happen. i still wouldnt mind if there was a sequel, but its not necessary.

Effects:9/10

Overall:9.2/10

4.Nevermore:this house wowed me fully the first time i did it, but the second left something to desire. the sets and effects were excellent still, and i finally saw the pendulum working, but the SA's seemed to not be working as hard as my first visit. most were, but somw were just lazing around. the last dancers in the masque scene didnt have a dance partner. did it ever? i dont remember. i love the finale in this house and the facade. great house, defenitely the best one to be in this tent.

Effects:8/10

Overall:9/10

5.Saws N' Steam:the first time i did this house i was amazed by it's awesomeness. cast A was amazing. i did it twice with cast b.....not as great. the effects are still incredible, and many SA's were still getting scares, but cast A still reigns supreme over them. still an awesome house and the best to be in the JAWS queue.

Sets:8/10

Overall:9/10

6.Bloodengutz: This is defenitely the best dark humor house ive done, and the best house done in Disaster! the story is great, the opening with Bloodengutz as the first scene is very smart and helps set the comedic mood of the house, the sets are defenitely awesome. Valentine's day is very cool to look at, the feaster bunny looks awesome in easter, thankskilling has an amazing smell and the feast is sick, the headless santa is the funniest thing in that huose :P. well done house that even delivers scares. very well done.

Atmosphere:10/10

Effects:6/10

Scares:8/10

Overall:8.5/10

7.Forsaken:i went through this house twice, both on cast A..this cast is really not that good at all. the guy in the prison in the opening scene, the courtyard scene and the finale bungee were good, but that's it. the rest weren't really trying hard and the tilted ship scene SA's weren't really trying at all. i really wish i could've seen cast B. the house itself is impressive and beautiful though. its not a bad house, it's just lackluster scare-wise.

Atmosphere:8/10

Effects:7/10

Scares:7/10

Overall:8/10

8.THING:i went through this house twice the first time I went, and I was left with the impression that it was beautiful and the puppets were sick, but the actors werent really trying. I planned on doing it again yesterday, but the line was almost an hour, so I didnt get to see it again.

Atmosphere:8/10

Scares:5/10

Overall:8/10

First Impressions:

1.Saws N Steam

2.Nevermore

3.Nightingales

4.Winters Night

5.Bloodengutz

6.In Between

7.THING

8.Forsaken

Final List:

1.Winter's Night

2.In-Between

3.Nightingales

4.Nevermore

5.Saws N Steam

6.Bloodengutz

7.Forsaken

8.THING

Overall, I think there was no bad house this year and is definitely the strongest lineup of houses ive seen. The detail was definitely thought out with care and done very creatively, so major kudos to A&D this year for making such an incredible year of houses.

I wont review the scarezones, but I will say that nightmaze improved greatly, giving me one of the best scares ive ever gotten. I also got a very nice scare in Acid and Luck. I found every SZ this year, along with the houses, very good and were actually scary for a change.

Scarezones:

2.Acid Assault

3.Nightmaze

4.Grown Evil

5.Your Luck Has Run Out

6.Canyon of Dark Souls

Edited by foREVer56

7.Forsaken:i went through this house twice, both on cast A..this cast is really not that good at all.

With respect: I'm sorry the runthroughs you had in this house weren't all you had hoped. However, as much as I love all the houses, if I had to pick a favorite right now, it would be Forsaken on Cast A. And it's all BECAUSE of Cast A. No disrespect to the other casts or houses, they all have given me a lot of fun and pleasure. But I've had the most scares, interactions, and creativity witnessed in Cast A here this year. Major Applause.

No personal aspersion is intended here, I just feel this is one of those areas I should stand up for the SAs. I'm glad your overall experience at HHN was so great, though! Best wishes, hope you can make it back for XXII!!

That's consistency? Hmmm.

i probably should've mentioned that the first time i hit this house was on a cast change and thatsa why i got only 2 scares. lol. every other time i got at least 2 from the finale alone:P.

about forsaken:i'm not saying only 3 scenes in the house are good. there all very nicely done and i saw plenty of interaction, but those are the only 3 rooms i saw people actually scaring guests. no disrespect to the SA's on that cast, of course and the firecrew for that matter.

But it seems like your basing your opinion on the reaction of the group of people you went in with. Just because they didn't get scared in a certain room doesn't mean hundreds of other guests don't get scared when they come through. "this cast is not really good at all," seems like a pretty bold statement. Just saying.

But it seems like your basing your opinion on the reaction of the group of people you went in with. Just because they didn't get scared in a certain room doesn't mean hundreds of other guests don't get scared when they come through. "this cast is not really good at all," seems like a pretty bold statement. Just saying.

i see what your saying and i apologize if i offended anyone, including you with my opinion. have the cast gotten plenty of scares throughout the event? probably. but on my 2 runthroughs, i saw little scaring. thats why i said it i didnt just go through once on this cast i did it twice on 2 diffrent days at 2 different points of the night. that shows a little inconsistency to me.

With respect: I'm sorry the runthroughs you had in this house weren't all you had hoped. However, as much as I love all the houses, if I had to pick a favorite right now, it would be Forsaken on Cast A. And it's all BECAUSE of Cast A. No disrespect to the other casts or houses, they all have given me a lot of fun and pleasure. But I've had the most scares, interactions, and creativity witnessed in Cast A here this year. Major Applause.

I was thinking the same thing when reading the OP. Cast A Forsaken is one of my favorites this year; it's hard to imagine them "not trying." I guess anything can happen on any particular night, but I'm sad the OP didn't get to see the usual glory that is Forsaken Cast A (we tend to see them a lot since we do Kid Zone S & S a lot).