The 2012 HHNH Event Creation Competiton: Game 1: Round 1 & Round 2

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which 2012 event was your favorite?

• Hauntfan
    • StevenforTmrw
    • Grindhousehero13

Is that everybody? I can't remember lol

If I'm not mistaken, these are the participants:

1. Hauntfan*

2. Grindhousehero13*

3. StevenForTmrw*

4. Shadybrook Oddfellow

5. ILuvStabWounds*

6. Ridesandstuff*

7. horrorlover

And from what I can tell, the ones with a * are the ones who have entered thus far. So I think we're just waiting on horrorlover & Shadybrook before we can put in scores, HHNemy! Has everyone updated their events to how they'd like them to be so far?

Edited by DTH316

Eh, I dunno. Since mostly everyone is finished, let's make it tomorrow (11/7) before midnight.

If anyone doesn't meet the deadline, they can just enter Game 2 which we will start up a week from today (that is, if enough people sign up). That way, semi-finalists will be chosen Tuesday morning and voting will go on until Saturday with a winner revealed that night and with sign ups for Game 2 going on at the same time.

My event:

Halloween Horror Nights 2012: Fear Unleashed!!!

Mazes

House of Horrors: Revenge of the Classics (HOH) : They've been in the shadows, pushed aside for fresher, younger blood, mostly now thought of as a joke. But as you'll soon find out while navigating this old castle, Horror had to start somewhere......

Scream: The Woodsboro Massacre (JP queue) : Travel through the town of Woodsboro where you are stalked at every turn by the Ghostface killer and his razor sharp blade... Be careful how you answer his trivia questions, and try to remember the rules to surviving a living horror movie....

Freakz and Klownz: Circus of the Damned in 3D Klown-o-vision (T2 queue) : Step right up and come witness the goriest and most bloodchilling show on Earth!! Travel through this old circus that has been taken over by bloodthirsty Klownz and flesheating Freakz.... As you'll soon find out, the circus...... ain't no laughing matter anymore....... (ORIGINAL)

The Bellberry Curse: The Legend of Cassandra Hitchpickens (WWW Arena) : Unfairly executed for her wiccan beliefs at the height of the Witch trials, Wiccan healer Cassandra Hitchpickens now has but one thing in mind for the sleepy Puritan town of Bellberry Falls.... REVENGE!!! (ORIGINAL)

I'm not done... I will post more soon :D

^The Deadline is for the overview and not treatments right?

Treatments are only if you make it into the semi-finals.

DTH are there certain criteria we are judging specifically on or just overall?

It's somewhere in the middle of the first post what the grading scale is.

Ah ha, found it. Here it is:

All the events will be judged on a scale of 100.

1. Creativity (20 points - Creativity doesn't mean you can't use movie properties, it's just how they're utilized and placed in the event within the theme that makes it creative and interesting)

2. Originality (10 points - Ideas that aren't copycats of events we've seen before; try to do something new and exciting)

3. Theme (10 points - How cool is the theme? Is it something that would work at HHNH? Is it represented well in the marketing plan?)

4. Mazes (20 points - Don't think quantity, think quality of the idea of the mazes. If you have 20 mazes and they all suck, you can score low. If all of your 6 mazes sound amazing, you can get a perfect score.)

5. Shows (10 points - Once again, think quality of the show. Having just Bill and Ted might hurt your chances of a perfect score, I won't lie. How big of an audience can it attract? How often can it be on a night? Will it favor well with guests or will it just be a waste of time?)

6. Scare Zones (15 points - How awesome do the scare zones sound? Sometimes something simple is just as effective as something elaborate.)

7. Terror Tram (15 points - A new location might make yours be favored but if the idea is just the same as the old Terror Tram, it's still only as good. How plausible is this location? How can the trams get there, unload and load up again? Is the drive too far and can it take up too much time? Will any of the other attractions on the Studio Tour be accessible during this time?)

My event:

I'm not done... I will post more soon :D

Be sure to finish up your event before tonight.

I'm gonna start grading these events at around 6. If it's not in by midnight, you'll have to enter into game 2!

Edited by DTH316

And I shall start scoring the events... NOW! I guess Shadybrook will have to come back for Game 2 but he still has a couple of hours to get his event in. If all goes according to plan, hopefully the scores will be posted a little passed midnight.

So Horror Lover bows out of the competition, making the number of contestants now 6.

I graded hauntfan and StevenforTmrw's events so for me, those scores are locked! Some tough competition so far.

I'll grade the rest when I get home at around 11:30, starting with Grind's!

Okaaaaay but that means the scores and who makes it into the semi finals will be left totally up to you buahahahaha ooooh the pressurrrre hahaha

ANY WHO, gentleman (no ladies... sad), here are the scores that I have gathered up along with the reasons. Now let me say that I am a REALLY tough judge so if the scores aren't where you wanted them to be, don't be down because it's just my opinion and there's another judge who will have their own scores that'll probably help you get into the semi-finals. Also, there's still 3 entire other games yet to be played so that's plenty of chances to not only make it into the semi-finals but also the finals.

So here they are, in no particular order:

Hauntfan

1. Creativity (17 points. Lots of creativity here and that actually might be the downfall because it wasn't contained haha)

2. Originality (10 points. Despite bringing back Jack and the theme of nightmares, there's quite a lot of original creations throughout the event.)

3. Theme (7 points. Once again, we've seen Jack before and we've seen the idea of nightmares coming to life. It's nothing groundbreaking but it at least would work at HHN.)

4. Mazes (12 points. I really don't see HHN Hollywood jumping from 6 mazes to 14 in one year. So as far as budget realities, I gotta dock you a tad for that. I also noticed that Jeepers Creepers was no longer included in your event but it's in the sales pitch. There's also a few mazes that don't create the HHN-like imagery for me, and that's Trapped, Bloodrage & Henchmen. These seem to be a result of ideas starting to spread thin and trying to give too much content and would probably fit better at a place like Knotts. The score would've been better if you condensed the event instead of finding new areas, or putting ideas in those areas that sound truly scary. Also, with 14 mazes, way less than half are movie related or not major names, which I also don't think HHN would be doing in 2012 [especially with one of them being the Fog, which is quite old now]. However, there are some truly AMAZING sounding mazes here, like Tim Burton, Creations & Freakz and Creaturez.)

5. Shows (9 points. Good variety of shows here and all the available areas are taken up nicely. The only thing I don't see working is the show on the Blue's Brothers stage, especially since it's such an obscure show. Perhaps something that would appeal to a more general audience or a show based on a movie property would work better there, if they're going to sacrifice crowding near the entry way and re-route the entire queue for the House of Horrors)

6. Scare Zones (15 points. The Wizard of Oz scarezone is genius and the placement of it is also perfect. Also another great zone with perfect placing is Alien Attack. The only one that doesn't sound too exciting is Savages but the other scarezones more than make up for it.

7. Terror Tram (4 points. I think the location could work for where it is but other than Jack wreaking havoc, I don't know much about the Terror Tram itself. Will there be zombies? Mystical creatures? More insane clowns? None of that is given here, other than a listing of horror movies made there. And if that's what's going to show up, then what's going to show up in the Murder Lisa maze? Plus, there's already a Jack maze, so this needed a lot more to sell me on it.)

(74 points overall. This would've been a much stronger event if it focused on more what the competition was about - - and that's creating the 2012 event. This seems like something that wouldn't happen until way into the future, like 2020, if that. I can't see them pulling off an event of this magnitude next year and I think they would be more ambititious with more content focused on movie properties or big names since that's what we specialize in. I think the overall idea and content would be better if just condensed.)

StevenforTmrw

1. Creativity (20 points - The entire backstory is very creative, as well as the original mazes and scarezones. Enough mix of what we want from movie houses and original ideas borrowed from Orlando. The backstory alone pushes this above and beyond.)

2. Originality (10 points - VERY original event and even created a new icon and the mazes mix into the event nicely. I've never heard of a backstory like that before and it seems like something HHN would actually come up with.)

3. Theme (10 points - The event sounds very scary because we all secretly fear that even a normal HHN employee might snap haha. Having a grudge holding psychopath who never got their shot and bringing the scares now FOR REAL really works on a story telling level and brings such a creepy vibe to the event.)

4. Mazes (16 points - Great variety here. The only ones that aren't outstanding to me is the Dracula, PsychoScareapy and Run mazes, which seem a bit generic. Transfering over the Orlando mazes work to an extent but they don't really excite me as much as something like Zombieville. However, here we get Hellraiser and The Exorcist, which are both high on the demand list from someone like myself. And then we finally get a good zombie maze along with two semi repeats that are welcomed back. I don't know how likely it'd be that we could just throw two mazes over in the Square of Warriors but since that area is never used, I'll allow it!)

5. Shows (5 points - Only one show but there's quite a lot to do at the event so maybe only one show is needed. However, it's what we're used to and that's fine but at least one other show would've been a nice addition).

6. Scare Zones (8 points - Scarezones are a bit lacking and even seem a bit like an after thought. I like the reinvented return of the Repears. I also like Blackout, which would be really creepy on French Street. Also the dead brother's head on a post in NY Street is freakin' awesome and totally ties back in with the story)

7. Terror Tram (12 points - I gotta dock ya for a tiny point for using Wisteria Lane but the idea is genius with the "Welcome Home" stuff but alot of the stuff is stuff we've already seen (Freakz, Klownz) being thrown onto the Terror Tram BUT it works with the theme, so that pushes the points back up. Then you got awesome stuff like a plant being taken off the tram and being killed and using the Mummy Tunnel to it's full potential.

(81 points overall - Great event, just the scareznes and shows pull it down by so many points. If only you would've bumped those up a bit better, this could've been a nearly perfect event.)

Ridesandstuff

1. Creativity (15 points. The scarezones are interesting, some of the original maze ideas sound pretty good but there isn't enough detail about a few of them and the property mazes are incorporated just fine.)

2. Originality (6 points. There hasn't been a Trick 'r Treat themed event to take place at HHN so that works in this event's advantage, however some of the scare zones and mazes and especially the Terror Tram suffer from some recycled ideas.)

3. Theme (8 points. I like Trick 'r Treat working as a theme. Would it work for 2012? I'm not sure but either way, I think the theme could've been throughout the event a bit more. Maybe with a second scare zone or an extra brief appearance on the Terror Tram.)

4. Mazes (7 points. Your HoH overlay is freakin' brilliant and would be a welcome entry into that house's history. I especially like the idea of having a seducer Reaper that'd would basically be seducing you to come join death. However, all of your other mazes don't have anywhere enough detail to entice me onto them other than "Spirits of the Damned." And "Banshees" just sounds like La Llorona... but in Ireland. However, all the other choices are great ones and you would've scored a damn near perfect score if you put as much effort into your other mazes as you did the HoH. Unfortunately, maze choices is only half the challenge.)

5. Shows (10 points - Paul is a great substitution for Chucky and would actually work since he's a friendlier character. Putting him on the Blues Brothers stage gets in the way of the HoH queue though and therefor I gotta dock you a few points.. I also like the idea of maniac dolls tearing stuff up but it's nothing big that would have me excited to go see. Also you didn't specify where the show would happen, so that hurts this category a bit as well. And ofcourse, Bill and Ted is always welcome.)

6. Scare Zones (12 points - Some pretty great zones here like the Trick 'r Treat entry and the Wendigo. But the golden ones here, for me, are Gargoyles and Time to Play which are just freakin' awesome and are the thing of HHN legend. American Werewolf/London is a bit generic but would fit the Universal atmosphere perfectly. The only zones I don't like are the Mr. Cow and Hades ones, as they don't sound necessarily scary enough, especially for the areas they're in which are some of the biggest and most traveled through scare zones at HHN. Shifters just doesn't work as a zone in general for me and works better as a maze, in my opinion but your score is still relatively high.)

7. Terror Tram (4 points. I like the idea of the Strangers but other than that, there isn't much else that's new or exciting. The story also doesn't feel well thought out. Plus, Six Points Texas is WAY too far of a walk for it to be apart of the Terror Tram which drops your score way down as well.)

(62 points overall. The Terror Tram really brought this event down, down, down. Also, little information about the mazes left more to be desired. Show ideas and scare zones are great though. It was a creative effort but there needed to be more substance in the pitch for it to really stand out.)

Grindhousehero13

1. Creativity (20 points - Very creative and very informative with all the characters whether it be original or property based. This event is oozing with creativity and puts things together like an actual HHN CREATIVE director would.

2. Originality (9 points - Very original idea that hasn't been done. The Drive In scare zone is a bit familiar with an Orlando idea but this is done in a really awesome way. One downside is there's no original mazes but that still doesn't stop this event from being stuff we haven't seen before at HHN yet.)

3. Theme (10 points - Scare the Shit Out of You. What better theme could there be? Perfect theme and pitch along with some potential icons, the theme really soars and peaks my interest right away, even if it does have a movie in there that I don't like [being 30 Days/Night]. Also it represents what Halloween is all about and I think that's just what HHN needs!)

4. Mazes (20 points - A House of Wax type maze is a brilliant idea and taking it to the HoH is even better. With many monsters and ghouls standing around, some of them being real, opens the door to really outstanding scare opportunities. We've seen the life feed idea before but never for something with ghosts, which makes the Paranormal Activity maze an even better idea to scare those in the maze and those watching at home. Once again, live feeds of Racoon City is a cool idea as if we're watching from a random surveillance camera of zombies taking over. Also, the location works perfectly for the Umbrella like setting. The Wild West building has proved to be a good venue for cold enviornments and would give us our first full fledged vampire maze and even though I don't like the movie, this seems like it would be a great maze. The Trick 'r Treat maze is located perfectly as well. Now I don't know if Lords of Salem would work as a 3D maze but a maze on it in general is something I'm looking forward to. 6 mazes and a ride overlay is a good amount with all the shows you're going to have as well and since a lot of the budget would be towards these properties. The ONLY downside is there's no original mazes here BUT since this is Hollywood and since they're known for this stuff and because these are ALL great choices that sound well thought out, this gets a perfect score.)

5. Shows (10 points - Slaughterworld returns which is a great crowd eater. But what really gets me giddy is the fact that Sam is presenting the magic show. Human BBQ also sounds like a cool addition which I'm guessing is a mini-show of sorts. Once again, another perfect score.)

6. Scare Zones (15 points - The TrT zone sounds awesome but it seems like it might get a bit overcrowded in that area with that amount of scareactors. Doomsday also doesn't excite me much either but I suppose, property aside, a post apocalyptic theme for NY street would work very well. I didn't realize it but it's about time we get a vampire scare zone! I am a HUGE Resident Evil nerd so I'm bias over that, right off that bat but the fact that you made it really awesome sounding with the interactions with the queue and taking plants really sold me. I love the sound of Red Moon Harvest. All Night DrIvE In is a simple idea that you make sound really fun, especially with an actual screen showing the horror movie clips. And if the scarezones couldn't get anymore genius, we have Asylum in Wonderland. I don't care much for scarezones in general but all of these sound like places I'd actually would want to sit in for about 20 minutes just to take everythign in. Perfect score.)

7. Terror Tram (13 points - Terror Tram returns back to the central theme in perfect form. I just would've liked to have known WHERE some of the monsters would be but perhaps if (more like when, because I'm 100% certain you will) you make it into the semi-finals, you can elaborate on that.)

(97 points. Literally ALMOST perfect. I'd cry my eyes out in excitement to attend this event and would definitely be getting a FFP to enjoy it on a weekly basis with all that it offers. Very well done. This definitely gets my vote for the best event.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ILuvStabWounds

1. Creativity (13 points - The creativity here gets trapped in a bubble and that becomes a problem because it never expands outside of the idea and theme. There's some nice implementation of ideas but things start to become overused.)

2. Originality (6 points - There seems to be a large amount of ideas borrowed from Knotts in here or ideas that Universal has already done. Not only that, but they get re-used as well. The idea is also SIMILAR to an Orlando one already so it's novelty doesn't make it especially stand out.)

3. Theme (10 points - This theme is pitch perfect and the fact that it would be incorporated into literally every maze is the very definition of what a theme should do, if ya ask me [only problem is it's also present in literally EVERYTHING]. This also sets up our own icon, which is something HHN needs!)

4. Mazes (13 points - The Evil Dead is my all time favorite horror film, so I'll be a bit biased. However, there isn't much mention of what we'll see in the maze, which I would've liked to see. Also a few of the mazes suffer from that same fate, such as Labrynth, Dementsions and Camp Hatchaway could've used a bit more to them to let me know what to expect. However, I love the Hellgate Hall, Sisters for Life, Dead Paradise and Meatstalk mazes (although that last one, you forgot to put a venue for. And as great as the original ideas are, they get a bit "campy" and sound a bit like Knotts mazes with the humor. Blood Rave, Meatstalk (although a Universal idea for the Terror Tram) and Camp Hatchaway sound like direct riffs of Knotts ideas.

5. Shows (6 points - Bill and Ted is fine but MidKnife leaves me asking questions. What is it exactly? Will it just be amateur films shown on a screen or will he be bringing them to life? And is this location needed for something of that nature when we have a useable screen in the T2 venue? This is another example of shoving the theme wayyyy too down our throats also, especially since it's not a variation of theme like a MidKnife Marathon of horror movie related stand up comedy or something [excuse my horrible idea, it was just the first thing that came to my head].)

6. Scare Zones (8 points - These are a bit too coinciding with the mazes but at least it unifies everything. But with only 2 scarezones not maze spin offs, it leaves more to be desired.)

7. Terror Tram (7 points - Once again, Western Street is used but it's nowhere near close enough of a walk to be with the rest of the Terror Tram in conjunction with the original space. Also again, we're getting more Knotts ideas (Dia/Muetos and TerrorVision). The theme of the tram is great but it could use a bit more originality, or even a movie property theme to liven it up instead of the ideas already present not only in the park but also the mazes.)

(63 points overall. The repetition and the borrowed ideas really drag this event further than it should. The Terror Tram really pushed the points down, as well as the vague-ness of the MidKnife show. This was a well written and organized pitch though so if you don't make it into the semi-finals, I suggest putting this into game 2 and working with some ideas.)