The 2012 HHNH Event Creation Competiton: Game 1: Round 1 & Round 2

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which 2012 event was your favorite?

• Hauntfan
    • StevenforTmrw
    • Grindhousehero13

Game 1: Round 1 has just finished

The Round 2 poll is now active! Voting will be open until Saturday, November 12th at 11:59 PM PST.

The 2012 HHN Event Competiton: Game 1: Round 1 & Round 2

Hello all, and welcome to the first competition page!

This is a competition to see who can create the best event for Universal Studios Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights 2012 (if you're an Orlando native, you can still play; just get familiar with the park). Like any competition, there are rules, guidelines and regulations. I'll try to keep it short in effort not to bore you! Make sure to read all before SIGNING UP into the competition and/or posting your event.

1. How the Game Will Be Played

There will be 4 games, each with two rounds. Each game's rounds are the same.

Round 1: All players submit their event based on the guidelines. The judges will then grade each event. The top winners will then be placed into the next round.

Round 2: The players who have passed round 1 will then be put in a poll to be voted for by the general public. Their work will be featured for easy access and reading so one can make a clear vote.

Finals: Whoever wins round 2 will than be the winner of that game. They will then be put into the finals where they will go up against the winners of the other games. The finals will be based off of votes as well.

Think of it as like a tournament: round 1 is entry level, round 2 is the semi finals and the finals are... well, the finals.

During the finals period, a list of categories will be placed on a ballot in which all voters can send in their picks. The events eligible for the categories are ONLY the ones that have at least made it into the semi-finals for all four games.

2. Entry

- All entries must cover the entire event. From the mazes, to the shows. Each must be listed clearly and have a location.

- One-shot ideas (JUST a single maze, JUST a scarezone) will not be able for competition. If your event is in anyway not up to par with the guidelines, you will be notified of what changes need to be made by the deadline date. If the guidelines aren't met, the event will be disqualified.

- You can enter into a game with only ONE event.

- You can play as many games as you like.

- If you win one game, you can still play other games but only with a DIFFERENT event. If you somehow win more than 1 game, your chances in the finals will be much higher.

- If your entry doesn't make it into round 2 (semi-finals), it can be posted in the other games if you wish but remember, you still only get one event per game so it'd be wise to make improvements on it. All events that made it into the semi-finals or higher must be discarded thereafter.

- Your event can be something you've already created or something new or mish mashed ideas as long as they're YOUR OWN.

3. Guidelines for Entries

- There must be at least 6 mazes.

- All the mazes in the early entry period must have a paragraph (5 - 10 sentences) description. If your event makes it into semi-finals, the description for each maze must be extended to at least 3 paragraphs in treatment form (what we see, smell, feel, the who, the why, where and when from the moment we enter the maze).

- There must be at least 1 show.

- All the shows in the early entry period must have a paragraph description. If your event makes it into semi-finals, the description for the show must be extended to at least 2 paragraphs in treatment form or a rough outline (Bill and Ted doesn't need a description of any kind if you decide to have it in your event; we all know what Bill and Ted is so just give it a fancy name!)

- There must be at least 5 scare zones.

- All the scarezones in the early entry period must have a paragraph description. If your event makes it into semi-finals, the description for the scarezone must be extended to at least 2 paragraphs in treatment form or a rough outline with the types of characters, props, sets and music we will see, hear or interact with.

- There must be a Terror Tram.

- The Terror Tram must have a paragraph description in the early entry period. If your event makes it into semi-finals, the description of the Terror Tram must be extended to at least 3 paragraphs in treatment form.

- All the rides in the early entry period need to be listed, whether they're related to the event or not (clarify). If your event makes it into semi-finals, the description for the rides you decided to change must have at least 2 paragraphs in treatment form or a rough outline of the changes.

- All events must have a rough marketing strategy (icon, billboard type, commercial type, etc.). If your event makes it into semi-finals, elaborate on the marketing strategy in further detail.

- If your event makes it into FINALS, you can decide whether or not to elaborate on your event or leave it as is.

- Feel free to add any extras to the event not listed.

- Pictures, maps and drawings WON'T earn you extra credit in order to be fair. Feel free to use them to help illustrate your point but ONLY if you make it into the semi-finals or higher.

4. Judging

There are 2 judges who will pick out of the entry pool of events to pass on into the semi-finals.

For game 1, they are:

1. DTH316 (myself)

2. HHNemy

All the events will be judged on a scale of 100.

1. Creativity (20 points - Creativity doesn't mean you can't use movie properties, it's just how they're utilized and placed in the event within the theme that makes it creative and interesting)

2. Originality (10 points - Ideas that aren't copycats of events we've seen before; try to do something new and exciting)

3. Theme (10 points - How cool is the theme? Is it something that would work at HHNH? Is it represented well in the marketing plan?)

4. Mazes (20 points - Don't think quantity, think quality of the idea of the mazes. If you have 20 mazes and they all suck, you can score low. If all of your 6 mazes sound amazing, you can get a perfect score.)

5. Shows (10 points - Once again, think quality of the show. Having just Bill and Ted might hurt your chances of a perfect score, I won't lie. How big of an audience can it attract? How often can it be on a night? Will it favor well with guests or will it just be a waste of time?)

6. Scare Zones (15 points - How awesome do the scare zones sound? Sometimes something simple is just as effective as something elaborate.)

7. Terror Tram (15 points - A new location might make yours be favored but if the idea is just the same as the old Terror Tram, it's still only as good. How plausible is this location? How can the trams get there, unload and load up again? Is the drive too far and can it take up too much time? Will any of the other attractions on the Studio Tour be accessible during this time?)

Each judge will then send me their scores for each event in one long message. After they're all tallied, the winners based off the accumulation of total points, will be announced immediately as to who will be going on into the semi-finals. Judges can post the scores in the forum for all to see if they wish (I will post mine though) or if a player asks to see their scores, then that will be given.

5. Voting

If an event makes it into the semi-finals, it'll be open to be voted on. Judges can say what they think should win, if they wish, but their vote is counted as one just like the rest. All the players in the game can vote as well, just not for theirselves.

During the finals, a ballot with all the categories to be voted on will be put up. Readers will then be able to vote in the poll but also list their favorites on the ballot of who they think should win. Whomever with the most votes, wins for that category. Categories will be listed at that time since they're still being delibirated.

6. Off Limit Areas

As is the rules of the park now, there are some areas off limits that you can't create in or on.

- Colonial Street (also known as Wisteria Lane - - this area is constantly used for filming)

- Elm Street (constantly used for filming)

- New York Street

- Courthouse Square

- The Lost World set (not stable enough to be considered safe)

- Sound Stages ("all" are being used or could be used at any moment; try to think of more creative areas to put mazes!)

- The Simpsons on-ride video (feel free to mess with the queue though)

- Any stages that would prohibit them from being used during the day (so try to stick with shows on the stages instead)

7. Deadlines

Deadlines will be enforced to the best of our control. In order to keep it a "think fast" competition, deadlines will be quite soon for each game.

8. After the Finals

If the game is popular enough, the game can continue after a winner is announced for the Finals. The game will then be changed to accomodate certain aspects of the event with "specialty" events. Right now, the next four games are standard events. After the finals, the "specialty" events can focus on certain tasks or scenarios that can be made up based off of the winning idea of the year. Here are some examples off the top of my head:

- Universal is demanding a more "kiddie" event at the last minute. Make an entire section of the park for kids 12 and under that includes mazes, shows and it's own scarezone(s). If you must (and you will), sacrifice old ideas in order to please upper management.

- Knotts is winning the Haunt battle for Southern California this year. In the middle of the month, come up with changes to the event (whatever the winner of 2012 will be) that are cost effective, would take little to no time to create and/or think of a quick new strategy plan in effort to steal back customers.

- All of the movie property ideas have fallen through. Come up with similar styled original ideas to replace them.

-

Minimum: 5. Maximum: 10.

How many are in the semi-finals for each game depends on the amount of players (3 if 6 players or less; 4 if 8 players or less; 5 if 10 players or less). If you wish to participate, go ahead and sign up! Reminder: this is ONLY for game 1. If you wish to sit this one out to see how this one goes before deciding to sign up for game 2, 3 or 4, feel free to just be a spectator.

1. Hauntfan

2. Grindhousehero13

3. StevenForTmrw

4. Shadybrook Oddfellow

5. ILuvStabWounds

6. Ridesandstuff

7. horrorlover

If you have any further comments, suggestions, or questions, feel free to post them!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

Edited by DTH316

I'll sign up.

Oh and a few questions. I will for sure take the soundstages out of the event, I'll move the mazes elsewhere.

But for New York Street on the Terror Tram, I have an idea, that won't cause it to be changed during the day, for Terror Tram. The Tram just drives through there on the way back. I will have an alternate route if filming is taking place, does that work or should I just throw out the idea all together.

Edited by Hauntfan

Oh and another question I just thought of. There are two different soundstages that can house a maze. The walk isn't too bad, but they are only currently being used as a storage area for old props. Can I use them for a maze?

Edit: I actually even think two mazes in each.

Edited by Hauntfan

^Add a photo by clicking on the "Insert Image" tab which is to the right of the "Insert Link" tab on the tool bar (the icon looks like a picture or something).

Once you press the tab, copy the image URL and paste in the box, then press insert image.

Then your picture is posted! :)

Edited by iLuvStabWounds

Western Street is fair game, I'd say. Plenty of space there for a scarezone.

And you could just PM me the scores or put 'em here, either way I'll see them and I can tally 'em up. Might be easier for ya to just post 'em here, it's up to you!

NOICE, good to have a scareactor on board. Would love to see what you can come up with.

oh trust me, after almost perfecting what I did this past year, and already creating concepts every other day

ohhhhh this is gonna be VERRY good ;)