PeoriaBJJ's HHN21 Review

PeoriaBJJ

PeoriaBJJ's Halloween Horror Nights 21 Review

Note: I went 4 nights in a row (blisters!) from Sept. 30 to Oct 2.

Houses

The Forsaken – Set design was unreal. Movie quality. I spent a lot of time looking around trying to take in all the detail, but it was impossible. The second to last room was outstanding. Like they built a ship in that place. The scares werent the greatest of the park but the costumes were pretty awesome. I didnt mind the glowing eyes at all. And as others said the church scene was pretty rad.

Scares – 3/5

Set Design - 5/5

Saws n’ Steam: Into the Machine – Loved this house. I took me a couple times going through it to get all the proper scares. But I liked the idea of the whole house and the sets were second to none. The agressiveness of the actors was great. They really loved yelling at my wife bc she is so small! Which made it better for me lol! And the guy cutting on the other guys calf.... YUCK!!!

Scares – 4/5

Set Design - 5/5

H.R. BloodnGutz presents: Holidays of Horror – When "what?!" meets "funny!"... I love the camp houses (ie - Meetz Meats). I thought this one was very clever and well done. H.R. at teh begining was great. I asked him what H.R. stood for and he said he'd have to kill me if he told me. I offered up my wife instead and still nothing ;) Now I went through this house 4 times. Personally I loved the little rooms witht he b&w TV's giving you a preview of what horror awaits. Now the creepiest part I saw only one time through... the scary-ass Easter Bunny! I saw it the first time and missed it the next three times! I thought the scent of the Thanksgiving room was awesome and the girl in the Indian costumes was a nice touch too... ;) Great house!

Scares – 3/5

Set Design - 4/5

The Thing – Now I didnt get to go throught the Thing Assimilation house (missed that year) so I cant compare it to that one. But upon entering this house I was really impressed. The Thule Station from the outside was AWESOME! I thought the inside was great too. Plenty of scares in here but maybe a little too many strobe lights. But the actor were great adn teh animatronics was impeccable! NIcely done! I also liked the end where they paid a little tribute at the end to an older alien movie!

Scares – 4/5

Set Design - 5/5

Nightingales: Blood Prey – Okay this was probably my favorite house do to the amount of times I said "WTF?"! Nice and gory with a cool story. Completely original. It took me 2 times to realize that right when you go in your walking under a tank! The nurse eating on the dead horse was insane! But the scariest part of HHN was that little bald Nightengale sitting on all those wrapped up dead bodies chewing on them. The creep factor compounded by the mirror at the end that made it look twice as big! That will be burned into my memory forever as something that HHN kicked some serious ass on. The nurse 'flying' overhead was a great touch too. Such detail in that house too. Man thats what HHN is all about!!!!

Scares – 5/5

Set Design - 5/5

Winter’s Night: Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery – ok this set was amazing. The scares werent. But luckily Im more impressed with awesome sets than being scared. And this set delivered! The mini cemetary set was a nice touch as was the half-person crawling around! The snow was a nice touch and you really get the feeling of being somewhere else. Nice work on this one!

Scares – 2/5

Set Design - 5/5

Nevermore: The Madness of Poe – Ok I admit that Im not real read on Poe. I know the usual hits but nothing too extensive. But this house was great. I loved the fact that the first door you walk in was lined with the same certains I have in my bedroom! SO my wofe and I thought that was pretty cool. But the sets were VERY well done. I think there were some probs with the pendulum htough and 2/4 times we went through it was working. But the Raven Hall was completely creepy! Loved it! House well done!

Scares – 3/5

Set Design - 5/5

The In Between – this house was 100x's better than I anticipated. I loved the comic book fascade at the begining and the house is laid out to wear you can really understand the story. This house got more scares out of me than any other! The 3D combined with the black light was amazing. The demons were terrifying and I actually got some great ideas from this house for my own hween party on the 22nd! This was my 2nd favorite house in terms of set design but a runaway #1 in terms of scares. This house was really well done and kudos to A&D for a great job! That had to be a tough one to put together!

Scares – 5/5

Set Design - 5/5

Scare Zones

Canyon of Dark Souls – pretty cool. I wasnt crazy about it but the actor were agressive and those costumes were pretty cool!

Nightmaze – meh. A cool idea but just wasnt dark enough or long enough. I got a couple scares out fo it though so its all good!

7 – Loved this idea. the girls were really into this! And the minions were too. very active scare zone... but the question is - will those scareactors ever listen to 'Beautiful People' again in their lives after HHN21 is over.

Acid Assault – Best SZ of the event. Costumes were rad, the 3D buildings falling were awesome (I got a great video of one) and the guy in the wheel chair with no legs is my new hero! that dude was everywhere and almost ran me over, scarring me in the process! Nice work on this SZ... only thing I could suggest is that they make it a little darker (if possible) for the building effects. Great idea with the projection though!

Your Luck Has Run Out – Im undecided on this one... I like the sext Lady Lucks, but the demon-looking ones werent very well done. In fact those masks were aweful. But a cool SZ none the less. So much fog made it hard for pics though. But Im glad the wheel was out there for pics!!!

Grown Evil - ok cool zone. The owls and ravens were creepo as hell! The bat women were a little less creepy but whatever. I liked the mood and music very much. We went throught this one the most! Nice work!

Overall me and the ole lady had a great time at HHN. We seriously LOVE making the trip to Orlando from PEoria every year. We actually plan things AROUND this time of year bc missing it isnt an option unless somethign dramatic happens. So a big thanks to Universal for making such a great event for the greatest holiday in the history of the universe!!!! Now I gotta go get thins ready for my own party....

• 1 month later...

Great review, agreed with most of it. The wheelchair guy in Acid Assault was awesome and calf cutting scene in Saws was one of my favorites. I had to laugh when I read what you said about the Beautiful People song in "7". I bet they are still hearing it in their dreams lol