Service Members, Veterans With Concerns About Nightingales

Legacy

Disclaimer – I am not a mental health professional or, more importantly, a combat veteran. I have served in the Armed Forces for 9 years and have gone through numerous trainings that provide me an idea of what combat can be like. There is no training that can adequately simulate the real threat of death however, so I cannot speak on the psychological aspects of PTSD. This post is strictly to provide my insight, as an experienced service member, to other service members who may be curious if they “can take” Nightingales: Blood Prey. These statements are based upon the Employee Preview, which means some things can, and likely will, change. I will try to avoid spoilers, but just to be safe:

For a veteran, the audio track is an immediate concern upon walking into the house. The primary audio track is of a “fire-fight,” but during the Preview it was not as “loud” as initially anticipated. The audio can immediately put you on edge, but unless the volume is increased dramatically the combat sounds “distant.” Visually, there are attempts to recreate the “strobe” of multiple explosions and muzzle flashes, but these are seen behind walls and sheets. While the house occurs “in the trenches,” there are multiple wood and sheet rooms that may remind veterans who have been mobilized of living and working conditions (sheets and plywood walls) in certain areas of the Middle East.

The bigger potential issue is the use of guns in the house. One soldier, towards the beginning of the house, holds a pistol and “aims” at various spots throughout the room. While it’s obvious he was instructed to not point the weapon at guests, he inadvertently pointed it near enough to me that I had compose myself and not react in a self-preservative nature (though everything clicked in my mind and body to do so). An air-powered fifty-caliber machine gun also appears in the house, and is pointed directly across the path of guests. A soldier “manning” the prop can fire it, and that is potentially the loudest effect in the house.

While the house is, in my opinion, manageable, there is definite potential to affect individuals with PTSD. It will all come down to the individual’s military experiences, but I would warn that, yes, it may be too much for individuals who saw any true combat or casualties during a deployment. It is important to note, as well, that there was no obvious sign that Nightingales is a “war” house until you walk into the soundstage. If you know of any veteran’s planning on attending the event, please let them know this house exist and what its “story” is.

I am politely requesting that this thread be locked, and all discussions pertaining PTSD and the Nightingales house be directed This post is strictly for informational purposes only.

EDIT - After going back through Opening Night, I do need to address some of the changes.

Spoiler

The explosions and gunfire in the background "felt" much louder than when I went through EP. I am not saying that it actually was, I'm just mentioning a perceived change. I still believe that individuals who saw combat may have some issues with some of the audio effects and lighting, addressing the gun issue changes the tone of house immensely and, actually, allowed me to actually enjoy the house.