Favorite (new) facade?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite facade!

• The Thing : Assimilation
    • Hostel : Hunting Season
    • Alice Cooper : Welcome To My Nightmare
    • La Llorona : Villa De Almas Perdidas
    • Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses: In 3D ZombieVision

So we finally have a glimpse at all our new facades for this year? Obviously they're all impressive, which leads us to this question...which is MOST impressive! I'm excluding Wolfman as it's facade is just the entry to HoH, and HOTC as we had it last year. So here we go, which facade is impressing you most so far!

The Thing

296970_251422634895511_100000833308740_663241_1153666403_n.jpg

La Llorona

lloronafacade.jpg

Hostel

hostelfacade.jpg

WTMN

alicefacade.png

^Even though it is a repeat, I had to add HoTC to the poll since there always could be that one person that may think it has the best facade.

This is honestly a tough one for me. They all look very well-done but out of all of them, here is my synopsis:

The Thing: Assimilation facade: Although it's hard to look at since it since the picture was taken by the side, it looks like the best facade the Western arena has ever had. When I was looking at the construction videos earlier this year, I thought they were just going to reuse the F13 barn facade structure from 2007 and 08, put snow on there, and call it a day. Thankfully, I was wrong. They went above and beyond to give the WWW arena the spectacular facade that it really needs by putting the garage and wood post there. I would say that this is my third favorite facade.

La Llorona facade: This is my favorite facade. Not only is it the tallest facade Universal in Hollywood has ever done, but it is very detailed and suggest the image of La Llorona; this definately takes the step further by adding story to not just the maze, but the facade.

Hostel facade: This is my second favorite facade. It's one of the most detailed and beautiful facades I have seen Universal do. It's also the first time I've seen them add a small "extra" to the facade (Referring to the toll booth).

Alice Cooper: Probably the weakest face of the five. I like the fact that they used the same approach as La Llorona as they imply that you are entering the nightmarish world of Steven's nightmare in Alice Cooper's twisted world, but the facade is small and not too terribly big. Another factor and why I think it's the weakest facade is because it's in a position where you can see the entire tent, and then there's the entrance just slapped in there. Despite its size and how the facade is approached by the maze's structure, I do love the details they put in this, though.

House of 1000 Corpses: IMO, this ranks as number four. I love the colorful facade and how the 3D actually begins in front of the maze; not to mention it's probably the largest facade USH has ever done with HHN.

Actually, could we tweak this poll a bit? Have one question being the best facade this year and then the other question the best facade since post-hiatus, including the new facades and skipping repeat years where there was no difference? That's how I was gonna do it when thinking of the thread and to save space of the forum.

As for voting, I'm gonna wait until I see them in person. They effect you a bit different when you see them upclose, the mood/music and the scale of it in accordance your personal stature. Just makes it a whole different experience.

Actually, could we tweak this poll a bit? Have one question being the best facade this year and then the other question the best facade since post-hiatus, including the new facades and skipping repeat years where there was no difference? That's how I was gonna do it when thinking of the thread and to save space of the forum.

As for voting, I'm gonna wait until I see them in person. They effect you a bit different when you see them upclose, the mood/music and the scale of it in accordance your personal stature. Just makes it a whole different experience.

Unfortunately I'm lacking pictures pre-this year as far as facades. '09 was my first year and I didn't bring a camera, and last year all I have is a blurrycam picture of the facade for HOTC and another of the Camp Crystal Lake sign from F13. If we could get a roundup of facade shots from '06 on I don't see why we couldn't reopen this poll under GD. My main interest in this was just in getting opinions on the facade we're most impressed with so far.

quite honestly i dont think the thing had a fair chance in this poll judging by the way it was shot i cant give a full review on it yet. However, i chose to vote for la llorona. Now in the la llorona thread i had said that hostel was a tad bit better. But now that i look at it the detailing is far more amazing. And just imagine how it will look at night. Thats just something spectacular about this facade that none other facade has so that gives it extra points in my books. Unless you wanna count the hostel shadow gag but its been done before already. In all, ALL of the facades look amazing this year including HOTC. Alice cooper i have too agree might be the weakest but i dont wanna fully give my opinion on anything til after i see them in person. That being said...... 3 MORE DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I consider when it comes to facades is how realistic the placement is. For example, I could believe that there is some industrial warehouse on the lower lot somewhere where possibly people go to murder people. Seems plausible especially in big wig, corrupt Hollywood. However, something like The Thing doesn't stand a fair chance because of the warm climate we live in so some suspension of belief is required when judging how awesomely placed a facade is. But considering the outside building is a western, dry and even desert setting - - despite the type of weather we have in So Cal and the suspension of belief I already took on that, it loses points.

Can I believe a chicken rest stop is behind the Cyberdyne building? Not really. What about the others though? La Llorona, WTMN? Sure. For all we know, as naive guests, Universal Studios was built around a haunted church that the creators didn't want to destroy out of superstition. Or the WTMN house? Maybe a crazy old janitor lives there. I love for these maze placements and facades to somehow turn out plausible.

Let's go into further years:

07 & 08 - Hewitt House: eh, maybe. I guess Universal could have a house full of psychos that they don't wanna bother. NOES: I honestly can't remember the facade... boo. Barn: with the West venue, it was the PERFECT location.

09 - Jigsaw's digs: same as Hostel with the warehouse situation. Myers residence: an odd placement for a grand house but hey, even Walt lived in Disneyland. Mining tunnels: it was such a simple entrance that it worked.

10 - Camp Crystal Lake: especially with the West venue surrounding it, this totally seemed plausible. Old Daycare: Possibly like the church, old and haunted that nobody wanted to destroy.

the nightmare on elm street facade was a asylum lol and the second year was the house and than well the third year we should remember <_< honestly i never really though of it that way. The atmosphere its in never really caught my attention. i still think it wont but that's interesting to think about when judging the facade. quit honestly i think this thread was a little to soon. We dont have full complete pictures of all the facades so i'm going to delete my vote into i've seen all them in a clear image showing the WHOLE facade or til friday when i see them in person

Edited by HorrorNights93

I just saw a full picture of the The Thing facade. HOLY SHIT, WOW. The angle we see it at only lets us see HALF of it. It looks freakin AMAZING.

296970_251422634895511_100000833308740_663241_1153666403_n.jpg

Look at that cold steam rising from the roof. With that theme from the original playing, I imagine that'd be pretty creepy. Ugh, it's gonna be so hard to choose!

Edited by DTH316

Also, I don't see a black trash bag like material for the wall of the maze from the outside. That always bugged me and made it look a bit cheap. The WWW venue was the only maze that did that but this looks like the facade is covering up the entire side of the maze, which I hope it is.

I replaced the old The Thing facade picture with the new one on the first post now that we've got a better picture.

Speaking of the Thing, I was afraid it was just going to be the hut and that's it. Now I'm happy they've added more to the facade and covered up the black trash bags, like DTH brought up.

• 2 weeks later...