HHN 2011: Zombieville

just to clear things up:

zom·bie   /ˈzɒmbi/

noun

1. (in voodoo)

a. the body of a dead person given the semblance of life, but mute and will-less, by a supernatural force, usually for some evil purpose.

b. the supernatural force itself.

mu·tant   /ˈmyutnt/

adjective

1. undergoing or resulting from mutation.

noun

2. a new type of organism produced as the result of mutation.

Although there are many "horror" variations on each and both are fundamentally different, I think we can all agree that their function on the TT was pretty much the same.

I am pretty apathetic toward the idea of a zombie maze as in general I feel that zombies are boring and have basically been done to death. Plus they really work better in a SZ or TT capacity where they have larger areas to shamble around. Slow scares don't tend to work as well within mazes and fast zombies are just lame.

It could really go both ways with a zombie maze I think, obviously it couldn't work as a classic, shuffling zombie (everyday they're shufflin?), but something more along the lines of 28DL, or even Quarantine, with more of a rage zombie than a classic undead zombie would be somewhat effective. That being said however, there's clearly a reason they HAVEN'T done a zombie maze yet, be it logistics, or jadedness on the part of the mass populous regarding zombies, who knows, but the fact is, we're now 10 years into this madness, and zombie mazes have we none. Seems to me if it was gonna be done, it would have been done already.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trev! There you go bringing up Haunt again and here I go commenting on it :) Freak is gonna get so mad. Anyway, although I drank way too much last year at Knotts and don't remember the last two mazes I went through due to being blacked out (hehe) the pictures we took inside Virus Z looked pretty sweet. The Quarantine maze that they had a few years back was actually really really good the first year (it suffered from lack of monsters and deteriarating props the second year). There were people flying at you from everywhere! So I do agree that the "rage zombie" type scares can work within mazes but again, these aren't really zombies to me. I know they are within the genre in a way but they aren't really undead and therefore not really zombies. And making traditional zombies fast in heresy in my book. But again, that is just my book.

Knott's has done zombie mazes before and last year's Virus Z was pretty damn impressive.

Definitely have to say the last couple of years knott's has done really impressive zombie mazes, which to me says universal shouldnt have a problem as far as making them scary, and gory. The only issue I believe they have had are not really any good zombie properties they could use, or have rights to use, but now that we are seeing more creative and original stuff for the mazes, I think we might finally see a zombie house in the near future :D

This scarezone is going to be a success. The street dressing looks awesome and we have a GREAT crew. (I mean, Im here, so of course we're gonna be great.)

coming from you trevler gives me a even greater feeling from the SZ ! your a AWESOME scareactor and im sure you and your crew wont disappoint. For anyone that visits the park soon can we please get some good snapshots of the SZ.