FOTL pass good for only ONE entry per house/ride

I predict this year will be different in terms of lines though. As much as I disagree with all the stipulations in place now, I see 1 of 2 things happening...

1) They're predicting a MAJOR year; lines will be just as long as years prior and they had to accommodate for that by tuning down some ticket options and the crowds will be either the same or a bit more than last year so they're eliminating all the things that caused the long waits.

2) They think by eliminating all of these things and with a similar amounts of crowds from years prior, the lines will thin out and have about 15 minutes waits for each throughout the night, much like Knotts does.

It's really up in the air though as you can't anticipate who is coming and what not. But honestly, with the event growing, I suspect the lines to be just as long as they were last year anyway. The new rules will just make them not 3 hours instead of the usual 2 hours - _ -

The FOTL pass has historically had ZERO effect on standby lines. I have only used FOTL when I have gone, and they've only had FOTL since 2006. The only times I have ever waited in the Gate A line was for a gap to open up in the standby line - and that was no more than 20 seconds. Last year, FOTL sold out every single night (usually just an hour or so after the gates open), yet the FOTL were so limited that even then it had zero effect on standby.

I am searching every corner of my tiny little brain to figure out why they would add this stipulation and the only thing I can come up with is that they are going to FLOOD the event with FOTL just as Orlando does. Over there, it's not uncommon on a peak night to see a standby line of 2 hours and a Express line of 30 minutes. Over there, they sell many many thousands of Express passes nightly. They do sell out, but the numbers are staggering compared to Hollywood because the park is so much bigger. And even when Orlando does sell out of Express passes, and the Express lines are dwindling to 15 minutes around 11PM, they start selling a 2-hour "Mini Express" pass that keeps them constantly unpleasant.

Historically, I bet that Hollywood limited FOTL passes at perhaps 2-3% of expected capacity. I'd expect that they will raise that limit to 15%-20% this year. What it means is that lines are going to be crazy long - for both standby and Gate A. I do not doubt that this year will be the busiest ever for HHN Hollywood. The good times are officially over for the diehard fans.

The FOTL pass has historically had ZERO effect on standby lines. I have only used FOTL when I have gone, and they've only had FOTL since 2006. The only times I have ever waited in the Gate A line was for a gap to open up in the standby line - and that was no more than 20 seconds. Last year, FOTL sold out every single night (usually just an hour or so after the gates open), yet the FOTL were so limited that even then it had zero effect on standby.

I am searching every corner of my tiny little brain to figure out why they would add this stipulation and the only thing I can come up with is that they are going to FLOOD the event with FOTL just as Orlando does. Over there, it's not uncommon on a peak night to see a standby line of 2 hours and a Express line of 30 minutes. Over there, they sell many many thousands of Express passes nightly. They do sell out, but the numbers are staggering compared to Hollywood because the park is so much bigger. And even when Orlando does sell out of Express passes, and the Express lines are dwindling to 15 minutes around 11PM, they start selling a 2-hour "Mini Express" pass that keeps them constantly unpleasant.

Historically, I bet that Hollywood limited FOTL passes at perhaps 2-3% of expected capacity. I'd expect that they will raise that limit to 15%-20% this year. What it means is that lines are going to be crazy long - for both standby and Gate A. I do not doubt that this year will be the busiest ever for HHN Hollywood. The good times are officially over for the diehard fans.

Front Of The Line passes totally affect the stand by lines. That is like saying Fastpass at Disney don't affect the standby line. At Horror Nights it decreases the hourly stand by capacity by a minimum of 25% but usually closer to 50%. So the stand by line moves twice as slow (60 min stand by turns into 90 to 120 min). With single entry FOTL Uni is able to control and put a number on your pass (with unlimited entry you could do 2 mazes or 30 in a night) as far as overall event/attraction capacity. Now with single use FOTL they can sell double the amount. They saw a demand and a way to make more money and they jumped on it. I think the event theme this year should be greed. It will be interesting to see how this year plays out for them with a very limited/non-existent multi night pass, one time entry FOTL, and overall very minimal ticket discounting in comparison to last year.

Front Of The Line passes totally affect the stand by lines. That is like saying Fastpass at Disney don't affect the standby line. At Horror Nights it decreases the hourly stand by capacity by a minimum of 25% but usually closer to 50%. So the stand by line moves twice as slow (60 min stand by turns into 90 to 120 min). With single entry FOTL Uni is able to control and put a number on your pass (with unlimited entry you could do 2 mazes or 30 in a night) as far as overall event/attraction capacity. Now with single use FOTL they can sell double the amount. They saw a demand and a way to make more money and they jumped on it. I think the event theme this year should be greed. It will be interesting to see how this year plays out for them with a very limited/non-existent multi night pass, one time entry FOTL, and overall very minimal ticket discounting in comparison to last year.

I don't think you read my post completely. Yes, Disney fastpasses have a huge effect on standby due to the number they hand out. Historically, HHN Hollywood (not Orlando) has sold so few FOTL passes that it effectively has no effect on the line. You're telling me you've seen a Gate A line at HHN with more than 10 people in it? When? I'm telling you that on the 10 or so nights I've gone since 2006 (peak and non-peak), the Gate A lines were empty all night long.

As I said (and you seem to agree), if they raise the cutoff of FOTL by several thousand per night, it will have a huge impact to the standby line. Yes, limiting to a single entry per house will mitigate the impact somewhat. But if you sell 5000 single use FOTL instead of 500 unlimited FOTL, the single use aspect will be meaningless versus the total number sold. Case in point - Orlando has always been single entry, and those Express lines are absolutely terrible, even on non-peak night.

Those guys in Orlando are selling a single use Express pass on Peak nights for SEVENTY BUCKS a pop, and they sell out every single time. $70 to stand in a 30 minute line instead of a 2 hour line when it's 85 degrees and 90% humidity. That's like deciding if you want to be kicked in the nuts or the face. They both suck.

There's no other reason to go single entry than to flood the park with FOTL this year, and that's what I fully expect to see. They're giving us almost 100% new stuff, and this will be the price. I stand by my statement that the good old days (a.k.a. inexpensive) are over for die-hard fans. On the other hand, taking this hard-line approach is also telling us that Uni expects to drastically increase their profits this year, which in turn makes me as a consumer expect to see 90%+ new stuff every year, including more houses, better shows, a website that doesn't suck ass, and backstage tours. You want to charge like Orlando? Then you had better deliver like Orlando.

One question with the FOTL passes I understand there only one time in each maze but can we still go in the maze as a group? It's probably a stupid question

Each person in the group has to have a FOTL pass. Yes, you can all go in.

The FOTL is a lanyard that acts like a virtual punch card, good for one punch per house and ride. They scan it at the "Gate A" entrance for each house and ride. Sometimes, the scanners don't work, so they use a sharpie on the pass to show you went through.

The biggest mistake I see people make in Orlando is using their single entry pass to get into a house that has no standby line. Only use the FOTL if the line is > 10 minutes; otherwise, you're burning cash. Like maybe use it for Wolfman when you first arrive, since that will be packed for most of the night, then empty at the end of the night.

Each person in the group has to have a FOTL pass. Yes, you can all go in.

The FOTL is a lanyayrd that acts like a virtual punch card, good for one punch per house and ride. They scan it at the "Gate A" entrance for each house and ride. Sometimes, the scanners don't work, so they use a sharpie on the pass to show you went through.

The biggest mistake I see people make in Orlando is using their single entry pass to get into a house that has no standby line. Only use the FOTL if the line is > 10 minutes; otherwise, you're burning cash. Like maybe use it for Wolfman when you first arrive, since that will tbe packed for most of the night, then empty at the end of the night.

I didn't even think about very smart idea thank you

As much as this disappoints most, I'm looking at the upsides here. 1. An expanded number of passes could have a positive effect on standby time. More people with FOTL passes = fewer people in standby lines. Granted, the waits may be just as long, but they could also be shorter. 2. Without repeated entry, I could see the park thinning out a bit earlier than it used to. It used to be you get the FOTL pass, and keep running through mazes until they kick you out. Now with this, people aren't gonna want to cruise into a maze, then wait in line to see something they've already seen. As much as I'd love the park to be empty every night, the fact of the matter is, more FOTL passes = more exposure. Lines are the biggest detractor from any amusement undertaking, and this would provide a way for more people to avoid those lines. More people = more money = bigger budget next year = HHN keeps getting better. Change begets progress my friends.

As much as this disappoints most, I'm looking at the upsides here. 1. An expanded number of passes could have a positive effect on standby time. More people with FOTL passes = fewer people in standby lines. Granted, the waits may be just as long, but they could also be shorter. 2. Without repeated entry, I could see the park thinning out a bit earlier than it used to. It used to be you get the FOTL pass, and keep running through mazes until they kick you out. Now with this, people aren't gonna want to cruise into a maze, then wait in line to see something they've already seen. As much as I'd love the park to be empty every night, the fact of the matter is, more FOTL passes = more exposure. Lines are the biggest detractor from any amusement undertaking, and this would provide a way for more people to avoid those lines. More people = more money = bigger budget next year = HHN keeps getting better. Change begets progress my friends.

One only needs to look at Orlando to see why your idea about the FOTL is wishful thinking. By the way, I went through houses 10 times in a row. You really heard of them kicking people out of a house for using the privilege they paid for?

I don't think the average fan gives a rip about the FOTL change (but they will probably complain about it once it sinks in). It's the die-hards like us that get hurt by it. How special would it make you feel if you got an E-mail from HHN saying that as a huge fan and member of HorrorNightNightmares, you could buy an unlimited FOTL? Give the same offer to the average Joe and they would think it was a sales pitch.

^ HOPEFULLY that's how it turns out. I'm scared of the outcome. But we shall see opening night.

Please stop by GR several times during the night an report back how long the complaint line is. Take a picture. I'm sure it will be filled with people complaining that their FOTL only worked once. I'd hate to be working GR this year... They're gonna barricade the doors like Night of the Living Dead.

To be clear, I meant kick you out of the park, not out of the maze, as in, "Park's closed sir, go home now, your children miss you."

Oh, jeez. How did I misread that? :lol:

Yeah, that has been me on more than one occasion.....

I remember going through F13 at closing time while hiding a bag of Cinnabon. Believe me, those hungry scareactors were ready to attack.

the executives are really robbing us out of our pockets this year from the FFP to the FOTL. well we wanted all new material and extra mazes and this is the cost for it. universal has to make there money back some how -_-. I'm actually very scared about how the lines will be this year. Last year they were VERY LONG ! im not use to walking up 2 feet every 5 mins and i hated it. More FOTL passes = longer wait times for the regular crowd. this SUCKS! i guess this is one of the advantages of having a FFP; you can always come back and do it again but geeez this stinks. I think zombieman pointed this out but 90% of the time at HHN i NEVER notice anyone in the Gate A express and if i do its not that many people. Im not sure how this will go. Will people say "hell no your ripping me off im not buying this one entry pass" or would people be fine with it. On the bright side people can only go through once so it wont impact the lines that badly as if it were to be unlimited. Im more of a FFP buyer so the one entry doesnt really stab me in the back to hard but im still curious about the line waits this year :-/

the executives are really robbing us out of our pockets this year from the FFP to the FOTL. well we wanted all new material and extra mazes and this is the cost for it. universal has to make there money back some how -_-. I'm actually very scared about how the lines will be this year. Last year they were VERY LONG ! im not use to walking up 2 feet every 5 mins and i hated it. More FOTL passes = longer wait times for the regular crowd. this SUCKS! i guess this is one of the advantages of having a FFP; you can always come back and do it again but geeez this stinks. I think zombieman pointed this out but 90% of the time at HHN i NEVER notice anyone in the Gate A express and if i do its not that many people. Im not sure how this will go. Will people say "hell no your ripping me off im not buying this one entry pass" or would people be fine with it. On the bright side people can only go through once so it wont impact the lines that badly as if it were to be unlimited. Im more of a FFP buyer so the one entry doesnt really stab me in the back to hard but im still curious about the line waits this year :-/

I'm telling you - we are going to see one of two things come the first weekend:

1) The Gate A line will be nearly empty all night long, meaning that people are not buying the overpriced FOTL pass or add on, or just didn't care. In either event, it means that management didn't have to change the rules for FOTL. Remember, in previous years with unlimited FOTL entries, it had practically zero impact on standby lines. This will translate to: management made a pure money-grab, and it failed.

2) The Gate A lines will be packed - 15-20 minute waits for those who bought FOTL, and 100+ min wait for everyone else. If this happens, it means a ton of people took the bait, and management erased the per night cap on FOTL, FLOODING the park with the passes. Removing the unlimited restriction would have been a necessity for this, otherwise we'd be looking at 100+ min waits for Gate A and standby. Everyone would be pissed. This will translate to: management made a pure money-grab, and it worked.

What do you guys think of the FOTL options that Orlando offers (I'm translating for Hollywood):

And old one: FFP + FOTL (Frequent Fear admission + FOTL each night of FFP) - $175. This is non-peak nights scattered throughout the run.

A new one: "Rush of Fear" + FOTL (Entry into HHN for ALL nights during the first 2 weeks of the event + FOTL each night) - $170. This includes Fri and Sat peak nights.

Of course, these FOTL are in addition to normal "limited" FOTL pre-sales + in-park FOTL add-ons, making FOTL less valuable. Would you guys like to see these options?

^^ me personally no. i more of a FFP holder so skipping my way to the front of the line is the least of my concerns even if i have to flash out 100+ just to get that deal. Also the second deal kind of seems like a rip off. Sure you get the first two weeks and FOTL but thats only 4 days (friday and saturday) the first option seems a little more reasonable to me

I think that I'll have to take it as it happens with the usage of the FotL pass this year. I think I'll only use mine as a second or third visit a maze, if the standby line isn't too high at that moment. I may stick by my normal plan of doing the Terror Tram then move to the Lower Lot mazes.. but that's not for here, is it?

It'll be interesting to see how the new FOTL policies will affect the lines for the mazes. And it's slightly off topic, but I feel that could slightly scale back their FFP and Express pass policies, but there would be an even larger outrage, so that would never happen.

Last year, I ended up arriving later than planned on a super busy night, so having that chance to hit FOTL access for each maze was a blessing. But if you arrive around opening, and tour in a smart fashion, you should still be able to hit all the mazes 2-3 times easily with minimal wait (again, probably depends on how busy the night is).