The Only Way I'd Stop Going to HHN is...

21 members have voted

1. 1. The Only Way I'd Stop Going to HHN is...

• If I moved
    • If they promised to do ONLY movie mazes for forever
    • If they promised to do ONLY original mazes for forever
    • If they stopped the Terror Tram
    • If it got to Knotts quality
    • If it got to Fright Fest quality
    • If they went on hiatus again and I forgot about it
    • If Murdy was no longer creative director
    • If the crowds became so large that it became unpleasant, even on weekdays and no FOL
    • If they stopped Bill and Ted
    • If it cost $80+ to attend
    • If a scareactor went ballistic and actually murdered someone
    • If it rained every day of the event
    • If it was all day but closed at 10 PM (like Fright Fest)
    • If Uwe Boll movies were being represented at the park
    • One word: Twilight
    • Repeats. Nearly every year.
    • If another park started to put on a better event
    • Something else entirely (describe below)
    • NOTHING CAN STOP ME FROM ATTENDING HHN

I voted for a multitude of reasons, but I think I'm probably a bit of a different case from most HHNH-ers on HNN, as I'm from CO, and it's a long ass trip out to either HHN for me.

But my big things are if it dropped in quality - not slipped, but fell- down to the point where it's really more like painted walls and Walmart costumes for every maze. Another biggie for me is the overall ideas/concepts of the houses. I'm good with movie houses, as long as it changes more often than not and they're good movies; the problem usualy comes around when the ideas seem like giant stretches -uncreative, "seen-before" feel, Knott's-did-it-better, what have you. Being as I get one chance to go to decent events every year, I always have to try to hit the best one. This year, I'll probably be at HHNH; Orlando's spec. seems to have mostly "meh" houses, and HOS is mostly repeats and uncreative themes. So I want the best event I can get, especially since there's no decent event anywhere in this state.

That and the Terror Tram is the life blood of Hollywood to me.

• 3 weeks later...

My boyfriend, his sisters and I did Fright Fest in... '09, I think. We had season passes... It was horrible. 4 mazes, with it's best maze having a rating of 7 out of 10. Thw worst was the "maze" where you walk through the "fog" and things jumped out at you... Never going there for Halloween again. Knott's is what we started with, and it's become a tradition, this will be our first year at HHN.

Crowds are another killer. I hate waiting in long lines, especially when you're on a limited amount of time. At Knott's we're always able to see and do everything we want in one night... Hoping it won't be too bad at HHN when we go.

I didn't use to do HHN... I didn't drive then, but that was only part of it. I am 100% willing to pay 37$ for 5 or 6 houses(don't like the term maze for hhn... knott's has mazes hhn has houses) cause we're doing killer deal... but I would in the future pay full price! I am not willing to spend that much money for 2 or 3 mazes... just won't happen... then I'd rather just do haunt. I said Murdy not running it would not be a deal breaker, but if there is a steep design in quality or quantity that will be the end of HHN for me.

HOWEVER! I did not mark the last option, cause if I move to England or something no HHN! That is the only thing I am worried about. You can generally judge a haunt by how the theme park is run, universal does VERY well themed areas and rides, and have a rich history to work with... the quality of everything they do is nearly Disney quality...Disney would have the best but I never ever want a Disney haunt cause Walt would HATE it! Knott's is the exception to the rule... they are run by Cedar Fair, who do not theme very well historically, but because Haunt was there long before Cedar Fair it had a STRONG following, which is why Knott's pumps a nice amount of money in... not HHN quality, but not crap. Six Flags is JUST known for coasters... their theming is little to none and their park is not run particularly well. People go to fright fest to ride the coasters late at night... but in the end they know they can't beat the quality or quantity of Knotts and CERTAINLY not of HHN! The point of this long post is that HHN will always be held in the highest standard no matter who they get in charge... it's like how if Disney builds a coaster like Space Mtn. At any other park it would be outside the most boring ride in the world... but because it's Disney they can give it crazy effects... think of HHN that way. Anyone can make a Haunted House, but most can't include movie level props, costumes, and effects! For those reasons HHN reigns supreme... and I will always pay for 5 or 6 quality scary ass mazes!

• 2 weeks later...

Last year was really iffy for me, because it was almost all repeats. Had I known for sure that HOTC would be repeated this year, I would not have bothered going in 2010. So for me, when HHN becomes like Knott's in that you can skip a couple of years and not miss anything - that will be a great reason to not go every year. This year was a redemption, what with two original houses and only one genuine repeat. NOTE: I still haven't gone this year, so I can't vouch for the quality.

And in the event that they present 6 brand new mazes every year that are on par with Fright Fest, I would skip it as well. Fortunately, they are far, far from this.

Contrast this to Universal Orlando, where they always present 100% new houses every single frickin' year. You miss one year at Orlando, and you'll never, ever be able to see what you missed. I'm still kicking myself for having missed 2003. Every year is fresh and new, and quality is by far the best of any theme park haunt. That's why I'm willing to save up and fly out there every single year. It's worth every penny.

If I lived out in Florida, there is no way I would fly out to California every year. Between HHN, Knott's, Dark Harbor, and Fright Fest, there's too few new things to draw repeat customers out to see. It's the small mazes like Sinister Pointe and Reign of Terror that make California worth visiting. That, and the unforgivable fact that Magic Kingdom STILL hasn't added the freaking Nightmare overlay to the Mansion...

I have a friend who works Mansion at Magic Kingdom. She says the reason why they haven't done Nightmare (and won't do it) is because WDW gets so many long distance, first (and only) time visitors that they want them to be able to see the Haunted Mansion as the Haunted Mansion.

I have a friend who works Mansion at Magic Kingdom. She says the reason why they haven't done Nightmare (and won't do it) is because WDW gets so many long distance, first (and only) time visitors that they want them to be able to see the Haunted Mansion as the Haunted Mansion.

I've read that on various DIS boards, and there are definitely people who believe it. I'm of the other opinion. They already do an overlay to Country Bears and Small World. I imagine Ghost Galaxy will be going there soon as well. I totally agree that Florida is all about the tourist while California is all about the locals, but WDW was the first to offer the idea of ride programs on ToT to lure return customers. And of course HHN goes out of its way to offer a 100% new experience every single year. Why spend all the money if they are catering to one-visit patrons?

Personally, I think that tight purse strings over at WDW all these years prevented it. If John Lasseter ran operations at WDW, you better believe they'd have the overlay by now.