HHN 2011: The Wolfman: Curse of Talbot Hall (HOH Overlay)

horror lover

My MAIN concern is how they will fit wolfman into the other themed rooms. Mostly Chuckys room and psychos mirror maze.

Well... I think that if the Norman mannequin was redressed to be maybe Lawrence or Wolfman Lawrence, or even take out the mannequin all together and put a live actor in there who would appear to lunge before the light fades, sort of like how Lawrence's own nightmare was in the film then the first part can work. I'm sure there's an access door into that closet to the back of it, otherwise how could they have put Chucky on his shoulders, right? As for what could come from the sheet where Mother usually comes out, well why not another live Wolfman to act as an actual attack?

As for Chucky's room, well, I think it can work it was dressed with black sheets around the walls with white sheets to cover the normal scenery, and have the Feral Boy be there. As odd and out of place as he was in the remake as delusions, and in the memory, I think it might work to have him creeping around and attacking in the first room, then rushing out where Chucky usually is.

My main concern is the big Dr. Frankenstein's lab, though... that is really, really, a theme killer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ the first part might actually work. I really dont think psycho was my main concern it was more of (the mummy area, chuckys room and the frankenstein lab) As far as your idea of chuckys room it just wouldnt work. Keep in mind that the props and redressing done in the wolfman maze cannot interfere with the regular daytime hours. And i doubt they would have enough time to put black sheets around the wall in that time frame between the closing and opening time of HoH during HHN. So now these three areas are going to be the theme killers of the maze. Im hoping ill be proved wrong and murdy will redress these areas properly enough to mix in with the theme of wolfman.

Then I guess they turn the light off in that room again, and our adjusted eyes will see the Chucky props even though we aren't supposed to. Maybe strobe it up and confuse our vision with an attack? I dunno, in a perfect world they would give themselves a slightly longer prep time in between daytime operating hours and HHN hours to adjust it.

Mummy room.. yeah, it wouldn't make sense to make it another visit into the Talbot family crypt while we had already began in the start of the HOH, wouldn't it? May as well turn this into a full rundown for speculation of the maze..

Since I'm assuming that the Talbot family crypt is what we're implied to be going through at the start of the maze anyway, I'm hoping we see at least see some reference to the crypt scene, even if it's a partially transformed Lawrence where Nosferatu usually is with a full Wolfman attacking before you reach the stairs. Maybe we could even see a living statue scareactor standing in as the dream version of the statue on his mother's sarcophagus ("Look into my eyes, Lawrence. You'll see I'm quite dead.")?

I'm not really sure what could work in the Mummy's Tomb although with its close scene alignment with the catacombs, it could work as more of the crypt. Maybe just have another wolfy pop out where the live, growling Mummy does? Just again, darken the room and strobe it up with a Wolfman attack, since they seem to like the flashing lights and sound to prompt a scare anyway for some scenes of the normal HOH. But then that brings the problem of Chucky's room into light, too. If it's a darkened room, if might act as a good transition in between all scenes related to Talbot Hall or the surrounding areas; a dream or delusion of Lawrence while he's away in the asylum?

But then there's the Frankenstein's Lab catwalk afterward isn't there? I honestly can't think of something that can hide how out of place this venue is for the theme... they really can't hide the large generator in the center of the room. Psycho Cellar... have a human Sir John here to unnerve guests that listen to him, then there's the mirror maze, and I've already voiced my thoughts on that, so moving on. Then there's the projection screen and then the hanging bodies room, ugh, well we can see projections of the Wolfman attacking people as a reference to his attack on the asylum which continues to where the hanging corpses are. Then there's the stairs leading to the first floor and the forest, uh.. just place actors of Gwen and WolfyLawrence in that scene, and after the spinning tunnel just have both the Lawrence and Sir John Wolfmen attack from both sides of the walkway.

For the bottom floor the Lab... I dunno, just have Lawrence and Sir John attack the guests again for good measure. Exit room, one final scare from the Lawrence Wolfman and a beheaded Sir John's body, since they favor the headless scareactor thing.

As much as I'd like to see Aberline represented in the overlay somehow, I'm not quite sure where he'd fit.

Edited by Onca

The more we talk about it, the less anticipated I get for this maze. I can only assume this will be a failure. I wanna give the benefit of the doubt but damn, they're installing VERY last minute which can only make me assume they're not doing much this year as we hoped. Also, wouldn't it be wise for the days of HHN to have a sign posted outside the House of Horrors that says something like "attraction will be closing at 3:30" so they can have more prep time? Also state it on the website before you buy tickets for that day like they do to us for the Terror Tram? I mean c'mon, there's so many factors here that I feel like they're just not considering in upping the ante for this location. "This attraction is currently undergoing a makeover for the month of October due to the Halloween Horror Nights overlay. Please come back in November to experience the original version if you wish or come in now for a sneak peek of what's in store at HHN!" I don't know, SOMETHING. They can sell it... they're just being lazy. Boo.

The property would have worked far better as its own maze. You really can't even consider it Talbot Hall because nothing goes along with it..aside from the catacombs, but even that is pushing it with the screaming, light up skeletons and the unmasked Phantom of the Opera hanging that one guy... then of course the masque Phantom at the top of the stairs.

I'm sure Universal is very proud of their preservation of the remaining Van Helsing props, but the whole location just kinda falls flat when an overlay is used for HHN. That part needs to be a hallway of sorts to enclose the catwalk, which it probably can and quite easily made to still fit in with things.

I lost my excitement of seeing a Wolfman maze the moment I saw it was in HOH.. but if it was either that or something like La Llorona or Alice Cooper, I'll accept it that Wolfman was shoved in there.

Although I'll pin the blame on HotC's return as to why Wolfman was put in the HoH.

Edited by Onca

Honestly im glad wolfman is in the HoH. im not a fan of the wolfman and i didnt like the remake. A maze at hhn? yea i can dig it but wasting a full maze on it would of been a waste to me. But then there's the "theme rooms" problem in the HoH. And its not only for the wolfman its for anything thrown in the HoH. Murdy and his team need to find a way around this so it won't be a continual problem every year. Hell maybe they fixed the problem this year we wont 100% know until we see the actual attraction for ourselves. does anyone remember the wolf at the end that was used as a final scare in the van helsing maze ? i think that costume would be perfect for a ending but it doesnt look like the wolfman lol. Unrealistically speaking you know what would be cool ? If they used the wolfman hoh overlay during the daytime and night (with hhn having a few more additions) that way they wouldnt have to switch up the decorations,audio,lighting or props. But that will never happen lol :P

Well lets forget about location and think about the properties of the mazes them selfs

House of 1000 Corpses-Number one maze last year, strong cult following, and Rob zombies behind it.

La Llorona- Murdy's first attepmt at a full fledge Original Maze being backed by a (so called) big mexican star based on an urban legend that is big in this area.

Welcome To My Nightmare-Based on one of the biggest names in Rock Musics since the 70's although not totaly topical but non the less a big name and Im sure uni put up some big bucks to slap his name and image on this maze

Hostel-a well known Horror movie created by one of the most well known names in movies today Eli Roth who helped put in work for this maze.

The Thing- one of the most anticipated horror movies of the year, based on the idea of tons of creature effects and Snowy landscapes

and there Wolfman- wasnt a big of a success, is lost into the void of movies people forgot came out last year, and was mostly done out of fan service and Murdy's love of the character

now in the fact that 1.) its uni's own property which put everything but La Llorona and The thing ahead of the list for location 2.) the other Uni Movie is goint ot be center piece to advertise the hell out of like Wolfman was in orlando 3.) one location has a wolfman room already, and is easier to theme to Wolfman rather than La Lloro plus the fact that Wolfman was scraped two years in a row.

that being said Wolfman being shafted isnt totaly bad Vampyre last year was the best HOH overlay since Van Helsing and its a simiular enviroments plus Murdy has said on twitter they are switching up Manicans for Wolfman themed props once again only leaving the chucky room as the curse, now honestly all we can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst and just enjoy it.

Wolfman maze idea AMAZING. Execution CRAP. Orlando did it right a few years back. Ours looks like recycled HOH crap. I was really expecting a lot more retheming. As of today (well after rehearsals) top of the stairs has a new display, empty room after spinning tunnel has xmas trees (WTF) and a few cadavers in the lab. So many scenes do not jive with the Wolfman. How can they be explained/justified? For being our only real building/"soundstage" this location disappoints every year. Just leave it what it is...HOH, stop trying to fool yourself/us.

I'm actually glad to see how they're adding some things in there, unlike the "overlay" last year. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but I can't wait for this maze regardless. They are making a descent attempt to make it feel different and that's good enough for me in my book.

Wolfman maze idea AMAZING. Execution CRAP. Orlando did it right a few years back. Ours looks like recycled HOH crap. I was really expecting a lot more retheming. As of today (well after rehearsals) top of the stairs has a new display, empty room after spinning tunnel has xmas trees (WTF) and a few cadavers in the lab. So many scenes do not jive with the Wolfman. How can they be explained/justified? For being our only real building/"soundstage" this location disappoints every year. Just leave it what it is...HOH, stop trying to fool yourself/us.

good thing i'm thinking of going here last

Those Christmas Trees look terrible... I would pay to see somebody start decorating them while going through the maze. I know it's vandalism and not actually a good idea, but it would still be epic... :blush: The maze doesn't look bad to me but when I saw the trees I was like "Ummmmm.... What???".

Edited by bmoz628

Those Christmas Trees look terrible... I would pay to see somebody start decorating them while going through the maze. I know it's vandalism and not actually a good idea, but it would still be epic... :blush: The maze doesn't look bad to me but when I saw the trees I was like "Ummmmm.... What???".

HHNH loves to recycle props..cough...all the scarezones.... At least now they are being creative and recycling from Grinchmas instead of HHN...lol Maybe the Grinch will be hiding in there.

What did you expect, honestly, for them to somehow make a new batch of matching tree trunks and branches to be consistent with the previous scene before the spinning tunnel? Preposterous, sir!

I'll admit, it's cheap but...

HHNH loves to recycle props..cough...all the scarezones.... At least now they are being creative and recycling from Grinchmas instead of HHN...lol

...Because recycling is Green, and Green is Universal! :D

Pardon me, I had a dull day at work and I need to let it out in a positive, non-critical way. ^^;

Edited by Onca

I'm actually glad to see how they're adding some things in there, unlike the "overlay" last year. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but I can't wait for this maze regardless. They are making a descent attempt to make it feel different and that's good enough for me in my book.

i agree i'm glad to see at least there putting a effort in here to make it as good as possible. it's better than us getting 4 new mazes,a repeat and regular HoH. it would feel out of place if they reused the same theme for hoh. We all know we have theme killer rooms throughout the HoH so lets give murdy and his team credit for doing there best to work around it. ill have to agree with freak i cant wait for this maze either and im not even a wolfman fan BUT hoh overlay or not it still has a chance of being a good maze. It might not be up to standard with orlandos version but i know this maze will have some potential in it.

Edited by HorrorNights93

HHNH loves to recycle props..cough...all the scarezones.... At least now they are being creative and recycling from Grinchmas instead of HHN...lol Maybe the Grinch will be hiding in there.

LMAO That would be a WIN. I don't know my favorite part of the Wolfman maze in Orlando was walking through the forest. It was epic.

Edited by bmoz628

LMAO That would be a WIN. I don't know my favorite part of the Wolfman maze in Orlando was walking through the forest. It was epic.

we actually already have a good forest scene in the wolfman maze. im sure if they do it like last years it would work out perfectly. quite honestly the wolfman scene and the area after the tunnel might be our only forest scenes

A few random thoughts on this maze and this thread so far:

- HoH overlays are always kind of lame. It would be nice if they surprised us this year and really went all out (and it does sound as if they are upping the ante from years past) but it's honestly not really worth getting your hopes up. Even the most badass HoH overlay is still an overlay.

- Van Helsing was never an overlay. It was the permanent theme of the maze before they changed it to the more generic multi-themed HoH. I'm not sure why people keep reffering to it as an overlay.

- Speaking of that, does anyone else think that while the HoH is clearly a cooler daytime attraction, the maze lent itself better to HHN overlays when it was less themed room-to-room. Basically, while it's generally an easy fit to put almost any gothic horror theme into a "haunted castle" setting it's harder when said haunted castle has rooms specifically themed to Chucky, Psycho, etc.

- The werewolf stilt gag that they used at the conclusion to Van Helsing was super rad and totally scary. I know it doesn't fit The Wolfman look but they shodul bring something like this back as it was one of the best monsters ever featured in a Uni maze.

- I personally like it better when the theme is either a little more vague. Last year's Vamyr was a perfect example. That way those of us that know the HoH still experience an overlay but people coming through for the first time aren't as confused when a theme-killing room comes along. It would have been kinda cool to just do a "Curse of the Full Moon" type theme where a buttload of werewolves have taken over the HoH instead of the more specifically themed movie deal.

- Speaking of that, I'm not even really sure why they are doing anything based on a pretty weak remake that did horribly both critically and commercially when it came out over a year ago. I understand that for whatever reason some people on this site are huge fans of it but the remake was forgettable and totally lackluster. Visually it was pretty nice and there was some good gore but overall it didn't make much of an impression. And CG wold transformation FX are bullshit. No way around it.

- You should definitely do this maze last. Not for any reason other than the fact that most people (that have either never been to HHN before or just don't appritiate the finer points of theme park strategum) head for the first maze they see when the event opens and the lines for HoH near the end of the night are almost non-exsistant. This is good because I would never stand in any sort of line for an overlay. It also puts you in prime position for picking up some last minute merch and witnessing the chainsaw chase-out. Boom.

\what happened to my post 0.o ??? ughhh i guess ill rewrite it hold up guys. i was just commenting on a few things mike murder mentioned.

1) "HoH overlays are always kind of lame. It would be nice if they surprised us this year and really went all out (and it does sound as if they are upping the ante from years past) but it's honestly not really worth getting your hopes up. Even the most badass HoH overlay is still an overlay."

-Sure there just overlays but i wouldnt call them lame. I personally think that year by year they have gotten better at improving and amping the scares. Chuckys overlay and the vamprye overlay last year were good to me.

2)"The werewolf stilt gag that they used at the conclusion to Van Helsing was super rad and totally scary. I know it doesn't fit The Wolfman look but they shodul bring something like this back as it was one of the best monsters ever featured in a Uni maze."

-yea i think i mentioned this a few post ago. This would be a perfect ending for the wolfman maze but the wolf looks nothing like the wolfman lol

3)" I personally like it better when the theme is either a little more vague. Last year's Vamyr was a perfect example. That way those of us that know the HoH still experience an overlay but people coming through for the first time aren't as confused when a theme-killing room comes along. It would have been kinda cool to just do a "Curse of the Full Moon" type theme where a buttload of werewolves have taken over the HoH instead of the more specifically themed movie deal."

- Good idea. or even better it would be cool if they used multiple themes in the HoH like if they transfered chuckys room into a room from dead silence. Oh wait murdy said that the studios dont like the mixing of properties :/

4)" Speaking of that, I'm not even really sure why they are doing anything based on a pretty weak remake that did horribly both critically and commercially when it came out over a year ago. I understand that for whatever reason some people on this site are huge fans of it but the remake was forgettable and totally lackluster. Visually it was pretty nice and there was some good gore but overall it didn't make much of an impression. And CG wold transformation FX are bullshit. No way around it."

- actually i think it was 2 years ago :P but i agree with you the movie sucked horribly to me no hard feeling for the wolfman fans on here. Which is why im glad murdy through it into the HoH than wasting a whole maze on it. None the less i think it has GREAT potential in being a good HoH overlay. Plus we already have a scene from wolfman in there so it fits nicely. although like you mentioned earlier it would of been better if they did a more central theme based on wolfs than just the wolfman. I know freak has wanted a maze for a while so its good to see his dreams come true.

5)"You should definitely do this maze last. Not for any reason other than the fact that most people (that have either never been to HHN before or just don't appritiate the finer points of theme park strategum) head for the first maze they see when the event opens and the lines for HoH near the end of the night are almost non-exsistant. This is good because I would never stand in any sort of line for an overlay. It also puts you in prime position for picking up some last minute merch and witnessing the chainsaw chase-out. Boom. "

thats usually what i do but considering we have a repeat maze this year ill be saving this before i re-do HOTC

Edited by HorrorNights93