Shaker Cans

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do shaker cans belong at HHN

• Yes, there should be more
    • Yes, at least half should have one
    • Yes, but only beginning scare actors
    • Yes, but ONLY when it makes sense (a bum, maybe a zombie)
    • No, it's cheap looking so ZERO of them
    • No, but I understand if they do use them
    • No, it's simply just not scary and kinda ridiculous
    • No, it seperates us from Knotts
    • WTF IS A SHAKER CAN?

I love the sound of shaker cans. I really do. I don't know why. I kinda wish there were more at HHN but at the same time, I don't. It often breaks character or whatever the story is trying to show.

Like, where on earth did all these evil people find cans filled with coins in em?

But sometimes, simple weapons that make no noise can be a bit boring if the scareactor doesn't use it right (simply just throwing it into your face)

So I'm a bit half and half on it.

What do you think?

Personally, I really don't like shaker cans...at all. The only exception is if they make sense. For example, when if I was walking through some maze that took place in an ally way and some zombie bum jumped out at me, shook the can and yelled, "Got any change?" Then I would excuse that because that would totally make sense. Heck, that's probably the only time it would make sense for a maze. :P The thing that really bugs me is that at Knott's, Dark Harbor, and even HHN Hollywood, they use shaker cans to just make a good startle, not necessarily to keep you convinced in the environment. When I went in the My Bloody Valentine maze, I had no idea why these teenagers jumped out at me with shaker cans. It gave me a small startle but I walked away thinking "What was that about?". Even on last year's Terror Tram there were several scareactors jumping out with a shaker can and it looked stupid. It didn't do anything for me.

I personally opt to just destroy any shaker cans left in existence...except for the very few times it would make sense...which is basically never. It really detracts from the experience and makes the maze loom cheap. If you go to Knott's and go through the Asylum, how many inmates in a real asylum would weld cans full of pennies/beans? Seriously...

When they're done well, cans work great. But if it's at every corner, I honestly hate it. The more it's used, the lesser the effect to me. I've been in houses with countless cans, and by the end of it I hated those damn cans. On the other side, I went through one once with one can, near the end of the house. It seemed to have a surprisingly good effect.

As usual, moderation is the key in my book. I've seen 'em good and bad, so I have no definate answer.

People don't know how to use the cans. If they shake it at you, they are doing it wrong. If they just shake it, they are doing it wrong. If you can SEE their can, they are doing it wrong. Its best used to emphasize another action. I usually time a heavy can clunk when I swing my weapon at someone.

Also, Freak, no one at Knott's uses cans anymore. They all use slider gloves these days!

Edited by Trevler

People don't know how to use the cans. If they shake it at you, they are doing it wrong. If they just shake it, they are doing it wrong. If you can SEE their can, they are doing it wrong. Its best used to emphasize another action. I usually time a heavy can clunk when I swing my weapon at someone.

Also, Freak, no one at Knott's uses cans anymore. They all use slider gloves these days!

Feathers are also really overused at Knotts these days...

I was a fan of shaker cans the very first time I attended Knott's in 1984. But by the time I left that evening, I was bored with them.

Honestly, shaker cans are a product of Knotts and have remained a "West Coast thing". I have only experienced them in a few random haunts around the country.

It's really interesting how geographical regions all seem to catch on to a specific scare, use the hell out of it, and then mostly abandon it. It's not really like what happened with 3D or dot rooms - those spread like an epidemic and took a while to start to burn out.

I'm talking about things like carbon copy rooms where all paths lead back to the same room...until an alternate exit is found or real mazes in total darkness. I remember going to the midwest one year and experiencing my first house with a section of total darkness with a maze in it. I was astonished that this did not result in a total bottleneck, and was surprised by the novelty of it. And then I went to two other haunts that night that presented pretty much the same thing.

There are so many ideas out there and so many haunt owners are highly protective of their designs. They also don't usually get a chance to travel much to see what other regions are doing. Even the trade mags don't reveal much in the way of scare secrets.

To tell you the truth i only think i got startled once by the shaker cans. Am i a fan of them ? NO! It just takes away from the enviroment and makes the actors go out of characters. I ONLY like them when there used correctly and done in a situation that makes sense. The ways trev mentioned they used them are all the ways i experienced them lol so maybe thats the problem. Honestly i dont believe there necessarily needed at HHN. Chainsaws, sliders etc. are what give me the scares in the SZ mostly.