Need some help...

Depends when you plan on going. The earlier in the event, the better. It starts getting really crowded later into October. In my experience, you can usually get every house done in a single night on a non-peak night without Express if you follow a certain route. Shows on top of houses would be pushing it unless you have Express. On peak nights, it depends. While peak nights offer 2 more hours, the crowds tend to be slightly heavier.

In my opinion, to comfortably take everything in, go for 2 nights. If that's not an option, get an Express pass. No questions asked. Otherwise you'll spend the entire night worrying and rushing and that's never a good feeling.

Edit: Usually during the last couple of weekends (sans Halloween night) the Express queues can get to be as long as some of the normal queues.

Last year I only got to attend three nights due to my mother's severe illness, but on the last day we managed to do everything except watch Brian Brushwood's shows (I was bringing a first-timer, so I tried to get her through all the houses and Bill & Ted and we probably could have done everything if we arrived earlier).

Two nights, as long as you're not attending on peak nights with huge crowds, should be enough to let you experience the whole event and probably have time left over for repeats.

Even if you go on non-peak nights, there is the risk that you will not be able to get everything done in one night. My first two years we only went for one night and rushed from house to house trying to fit everything in. If you go 2 nights you can take a more leisurely pace, have time to repeat houses you enjoyed, and hang out in a few scarezones. If you choose to only go one night, try to do stay and scream so you can knock out a couple houses right off the bat with short lines.