HHNH First Time Conditions Thread

10 questions on what the conditions were like when you first attended HHNH. This thread can go in so many different directions and I'm excited to hear all the answers. Of course, you can share more than the questions provided since there's always more than what's expected. I'll go ahead and go later after someone else has answered but for now, here are the questions :)

How did you first hear of HHNH?

At what point did you become interested?

When did you actually start to plan on going?

What were your expectations like? Were they exceeded or underwhelmed?

Did you ever think you would become a fan?

How did it feel when finally arriving?

Can you remember your first scare?

At what point did you know you were hooked? Was it that year or another year later?

What did the people with you think?

Did you go again in the same year?

1) How did you first hear of HHNH? I first heard about HHNH back in 2006 when it came back. At that point, I was about 14 at the time and was too chicken to go to such an event. lol My parents were going to go and they offered to take me as well, but they chickened out. Yeah, I went into the Van Helsing maze one time and went in there a second time and had the crap scared outta me...BAD. I hated getting scared but enjoyed it later on...

2)At what point did you become interested? About 2009, after going to Fright Fest the previous year, I started to get a bit more adjusted to the haunted houses and scaring. That year, I wanted to go to Knott's with my friend since they had 13 mazes and other cool rides to do. I thought it was fun, but not extremely scary like I thought it would be. That's when I decided to go to Universal's event to check it out out of curiosity. Looking on Youtube, I thought the Saw maze looked cool and was interested in the quality of the maze so that's when my attention was grabbed.

3)When did you actually start to plan on going? I wanted to go as soon as my friend could go...which wasn't until October 30th.

4)What were your expectations like? Were they exceeded or underwhelmed? Exceeded VERY MUCH. I wasn't expecting much since they only had roughly a third of the amount of mazes Knott's had. But after going to the event, my mind WAS BLOWN. The quality was amazing, the Terror Tram ROCKED, the scares were over-the-top, it was a freaking good time! I discovered a sparkling jewel that was pushed behind a major event.

5)Did you ever think you would become a fan? Before I went, no way.

6)How did it feel when finally arriving? Before driving there, I thought, "This will be fun, but Knott's will be better since the have more". I felt a bit excited, but MAN was I in for a surprise!

7)Can you remember your first scare? I think it was Harry Warden pounding that noise maker at me in the My Bloody Valentine maze. You know, the one where he bends that pillar at you? Can't remember what it was...

8)At what point did you know you were hooked? Was it that year or another year later? The day after I got back (Which was Halloween). When going trick or treating with my little sister, I was constantly thinking how amazing it was.

9)What did the people with you think? I was anticipating becoming a big fan of Knott's like my friend was. Both of our minds were changed after we went to HHN. I still like Knott's, but not NEARLY as much as HHN.

10)Did you go again in the same year?No, because it was too late in the year. Only went one time last year as well because I went to Florida's event and the fact that the year was okay at best. This year, I'm down for buying a FFP if this year looks like it'll kick butt. :)

1) How did you first hear of HHNH? I've always been a theme park nerd so I saw some updates on a few websites and heard of some rumblings on the Halloween Haunt fan sites about Universal making a come back. Before that, I knew Universal had a Halloween time that had discontinued and I always wished I coulda saw it but figured it would remain a thing of the past or that if it were to return, it wouldn't be for long...

2) At what point did you become interested? I heard of it too late that it returned in 06 but didn't regret missing it much since the content wasn't too appealing. When I heard they had the big 3 the following year, that's when I KNEW I had to go see that. I figured it would be a one time chance to see them (only to find out a year later that would be completely wrong). Also after reading some websites saying it could give Knotts a run for its money. I had a friend who is really into those horror icons also who went earlier and said "YOU HAVE TO GO TO HHN" and so I figured, if he liked it, I might too.

3) When did you actually start to plan on going? Early in the month, maybe after the first weekend after I saw some reviews and the commercials were amping me up. I decided it would be a fun thing to do with my girlfriend at the time on Halloween so we made plans to go. We ended up breaking up a week before and still planned on going anyway but she ditched me and I ended up going alone which I'm so glad I did or else I probably wouldn't know or care much about it now even though they're still churning out awesome horror icons.

4) What were your expectations like? Were they exceeded or underwhelmed? I remember being excited but never thought it would be the end all, be all Halloween event. I figured I'd go in and get some awesome quality sets but thought the scares would be just on par with Knotts which I soon realized I was dead wrong about. The scares were amplified beyond anything Knotts could do and that really shocked me. I honestly went there mostly for the Terror Tram and that was the first thing I did and by the time I was even half way through, my expectations were already exceeded. I decided to do a maze, to see if it could even match. It was even better. This was the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it was the scariest fucking maze I had ever been to in my life. I knew right than and there that it was already better than Knotts and I had only done 2 attractions.

5) Did you ever think you would become a fan? Never. Like I said, I knew it existed in the early 90s but I was a young kid back then so I never got to go to that stuff. I remember first hearing of Halloween Haunt back in 2000, oddly the year HHN went on hiatus, and just thinking it was the coolest idea ever. It was described as "walking through a living horror movie." I knew I had to do that so

I asked my grandma, who was usually in charge of my theme park trips back then and so she took me and my cousin who were so stoked. I was a fan of it right away and right after that year, I got to do more stuff on my own and I was a huge Knotts Halloween Haunt fan for 7 years. I knew the sets were cheap and the monsters were kinda hokey, but I still figured that would be the limitations for a budget of a thing of that magnitude. I had no idea that Universal had the capabilities of getting close to realistic sets and monsters because I had no money would be put into that kinda thing. So it's 2007, still a Haunt fan, going to Universal just to see what the buzz is about only figuring I'd probably be going this once since it's probably just a one year deal Universal would be having to have these legit monsters and they'd probably go back into the realms of mediocrity the next year (all wrong, lol). Never thought I would continue to be going now and even preferring it much more than Knotts.

6) How did it feel when finally arriving? Once I got there, I saw how crazy the traffic was. It wasn't just an LA thing (although the LA traffic was a bitch) but more of a "parking lot crowded because everyone is trying to see this" thing. I knew something epic was awaiting me. I was alone so I was somber when I saw all these friends having fun around me and then I was also pissed that I got there uber late and had to walk in a super long line, knowing the park would be closing at 12 and there would most likely be long lines (I didn't get inside until 10). I walked in and once I was finally INSIDE, all the sadness went away and I was stoked. I immediately went to the Terror Tram and being able to step on that Hollywood classic ground while horror havoc was going on (I've walked the lot before but in a more calm situation lol) was epic. So to answer that question in one word, about arriving, it felt "epic."

7) Can you remember your first scare? I can't but I honestly wish I could. So I'll share my first "HOLY FUCKING SHIT OMFG" scare. It was in TCM. The dinner table scene. Leatherface pops out of some shed, chainsaw revving, literally inches away from our face after the dinner table pushes you directly into his path. The strobes went off, the chainsaw buzzing and him coming out full speed with the pop of the door hitting the sides -- I just couldn't believe what was happening. I had no idea a horror event would go that hardcore in getting a scare. They were literally trying to scare the shit out of people, something I had never experienced before. I actually felt afraid and unsafe, a feeling I never had in a maze since becoming used to the environment. It felt REAL. And I must say, holy shit, if anything, that was my first real scare at a Halloween event, probably EVER.

8) At what point did you know you were hooked? Was it that year or another year later? I knew I loved 2007 but I wasn't sure if it was coming back so I tried my best not to fall for something I wasn't sure of it lasting. I was glad 2008 was a repeat year so I could actually experience it with friends this time and that was when I knew this would be an event that was gonna stick around. I comfortably fell in love in 2008, while I was already in love in 2007 but I had my guard up. I didn't want to be "hurt" by Universal by them getting rid of something I cared so deeply for. So I fell in love 2007 but 2008 is when I knew I was a hooked and that I would gladly pick Universal over Knotts without even batting an eyelash.

9) What did the people with you think? The first time, I was alone so this didn't apply. 2008 I went with my good friend who loved horror movies just as much as I did and was the one who told me I had to go in 2007. So we both loved it since we were such a huge fan of that stuff. We were two grown men screaming at our favorite horror icons chasing us. 2009 I would be going back with him but also a crap load of other friends, but he didn't attend with me in 2010. But all the friends I went with those last two years (somewhere near 20 of us each time), we all loved it and preferred it over "that cheap place near Disneyland."

10) Did you go again in the same year? I went the last day of 2007 so it wasn't possible. And 2008, I went the last Thursday of the event before Halloween and it's been tradition ever since. However, if 2011's lineup really impresses me, I may consider breaking tradition to go a little early and THEN also stick with tradition by going the last Thursday, just for old time's sake and in case 2012 doesn't live up, I can still say I've been every last Thursday of the event.

• 2 months later...

07 commercial with the carnival and cards.

Was always a horror movie fan, love the movie-to-maze creations. Feels like I'm in the movie.

Friend invited me in 07 but was a failed attempt because none of us had a ride. 08, I decided to go with a couple of friends (ended up going twice that year with different groups of friends)

First time, I expected too much and did not like it as much (could also be because my friends weren't really into it..) and plus I went at a late time so the maze lines took FOREVER which took alot of fun out. I also went to House of Horrors (LOL) which wasted a good amount of time. The second time I went (same event; same month) was a much more memorable experience.

Not at all, especially after my first time going.

Felt great, I remember my adrenaline pumping when I first entered the gates and heard the music with all the fog.

Chainsaw, near the entrance lol (where WTH was last year). They were clowns I think. I ran away and into the line for HOH (while cutting some people in line on the way; sorry lol)

At what point did you know you were hooked? Was it that year or another year later?

Same year, second event. Different friends - much more memorable because we were all into it.

First time going, they didn't like it.

Yes =D

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled upon it while looking up HHNO

Right there.

Late 2008, right after my first trip to KSF.

I was honestly expecting less than KSF, mainly since it had more to it and had been around longer. They were well exceeded. I just wish it wasn't so damn crowded; I never got to do Saw.

Yep. I figured I would immediately following my new-born obsession with KSF and halloween in general.

I remeber I was feeling kinda sick and pissed at the time of arrival, but that was from outside sources. Once I actually got inside HHN and in a SZ, I was in some demented heaven.

It was also the most awesome scene ever: Welcome to Hell had Superbeast by Rob Zombie blasting, and a saw pig jumped onto a pile of corpses. He landed in perfect timing with the music and a blast of fire. It seemed to happen in slow motion.

The moment I stepped into Welcome to Hell, I knew.

I was with my dad, and he seemed to at least be entertained.

Being as I'm from Colorado, no, I did not. Would if I could though.

1)How did you first hear of HHNH? Well i stumbled upon it actually when i was at universal one day. Back in 2006 i seen alot of halloween decorations being put up so i asked someone who worked there what was being done and they let me know :D

2)At what point did you become interested?After i seen all the halloween decorations and heard about it i became VERY EXCITED. And after my first HHN trip in 2006 is when i became fully interested.

3)When did you actually start to plan on going? The minute i heard of it i planned to go the first day as i did :) been loving HHN since back in 2006.

4)What were your expectations like? Were they exceeded or underwhelmed? Back in the early 2000s i always wanted to go to knotts but never got the chance to so this was my first actual Halloween theme park event i would be attending so i didnt know what to expect. It was more of a excited feeling because i love the season of halloween period and this seemed like a good way to enjoy it. Other than mazes,terror tram and scarezones i really didnt know what else to expect. I was GREATLY EXCEEDED!!! My first walk into the entrance of HHN 2006 was a VERY diffrent atmosphere i had evver been around. The music,the scares, the go go dancers etc. were just AMAZING to me. For those who didnt go in 2006 im very sorry to hear you missed the Asylum and where The HoH originated at. Everything was just a GREAT experience. Even though we didnt have maze quantity or much to do it still kept me there the WHOLE night. We had more shows back than too! I also remember scareactors literally being EVERYWHERE around the park this year there was truly no place to hide. I knew i would be returning the next year especially after hearing the Big 3 would be our neext icons.

5)Did you ever think you would become a fan? Not at all. I did LOVE the event and by each year my love for it grew even more.

6)How did it feel when finally arriving? The anticipation waiting for HHN alone was killing me. As soon as i arrived i became instantly EXCITED. My adrenaline was running so fast... the fog and loud music is what got me most excited as i stood at the front gates.

7)Can you remember your first scare? Certainly not at the time of my head i had many scares at once lol. The Scareactors were really good. I remember beein chased from one scarezone to another by the same scareactor. The chainsaws,the mazes everything got me in some way. I think the Asylum got me most in scares :P besides scarezones. The HoH was even scary that year! i remember them having like every scare icon in there (freddy,michael,jason??etc.)

8)At what point did you know you were hooked? Was it that year or another year later?i knew iwas hooked after my first time back in 2006.

9)What did the people with you think? They loved it just as much as i did.

10)Did you go again in the same year? Hell Yea ! i think i only missed one day if that lol

I was looking for other haunts to visit in 2006 when I stumbled upon HHN.

Form the point I started looking over the website. To be honest, I was much more intrigued with Orlando's site and all the detail they had for that year. I figured it would be similar to the one in Hollywood though so it didn't matter.

I wanted to go in 2006 but decided against it. (Not enough people to convoy up) So I went for the first time in 2007.

Having been to Knott's for 7 straight years and then being immersed in the horror Universal presented blew my mind. I remember being so excited the moment I walked in. The attention to detail, the interacting characters and the entire atmosphere were amazing. I remember calling my mom (who is a big fan of Knott's) that HHN absolutely blew Knott's out of the water.

It was highly likely to happen since I consider myself a horror buff.

I was lurking over at the Vault before attending and I remember being more interacting with the Orlando side, to be honest I can't remember if there was a Hollywood side. I got the information from the website. Even the small bit of info that I got from Universal far exceeded the visual and literary content that I was getting from Knott's. I think I was most excited because this was a brand new haunt and I had no idea what to expect which was very exciting.

I wasn't expecting to get scared when I got there. I was a little jumpy at the entrance but I remember being terrified in TCM. I think it was because of how realistic it was. Leatherface looked exactly like he did in the movie and the smells and atmosphere brought it all together.

After that night. I went again two weeks later and ever since then I've been a fanatic.

I think they had a good time but I'm not too sure if they appreciated it as much as I did.

Yep.