HHN Hollywood scarezones?

• 4 months later...

... I think they're just fine. And the videos of Orlando's that I've seen don't make them seem any better. Eh.

I think a mod should move this thread to General Hollywood.

Or better yet LOCK this thread since no one has posted anything in months, and this could have easily been posted in another thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, even though our scarezones could be better...a LOT better, I do think we have the upper hand when it comes to "a lively event". Since Florida's park is flippin' huge, they can't have scareactors at every corner because it would be too much of an expense for park management. Over there, it's as if you have to go on a small "journey" to get from one SZ to another. It's distant from the next one. Now, flip that around with Hollywood, a park that is a lot smaller than Florida's, and over here the whole park is just one big living horror where there is almost no escape....except if you are in front of the Simpsons; then it's like a techno party over there. :P Even in most of the dead spaces, there are a couple of roaming scareactors to keep you on your toes which is a big advantage we have over Orlando. The only thing we need in our scarezones - which I hope Murdy does do this year - is more thematic detail. Ours just feel kinda "bare bones" with just scareactors, for, some strobes, and just a handfull of props. No hiding places or much scenery. Something I hope Hollywood considers this year.

For the record, I will keep this thread open for further discussion about Hollywood's scarezones and how we can improve them.

• 4 weeks later...

As one who has attended HHNH, HHNO, KSF, HOS, and Fright Dome, I feel obliged here.

Of the above, I feel KSF had the best SZs. Now, they've had a long histry with SZs and lots of experience. Their SZs have minimal detailing, but thet are capable of making the most of what they have (i.e. FOG). Now, while there are very large empty spots, the zones are imense and there is not many places inside the zones that are a safe place to hide (hell, not even bathrooms sometimes.) The actors are very energetic and always on the move, always ready.

At HHNO, the zones are heavily themed and detailed, and yet, when I went through I found many, many actors... standing. In every zone, I would see at least one actor that wasn't doing anything. Zombie Gras had most of their actors kinda milling about, never really seeming to scare anyone. Maybe it was the shift's end and they were all tired, I don't know. When they were on point, they killed; but they weren't always that ready. But the zones seemed small, with exceptionaly large gaps in between. While all the zones were very aesthecialy pleasing, there dodn't seem to be much to them.

I loved the zones at HHNH, although they were heavily underdressed. The actors seemed on edge and energized all night, always on the hunt. The zones were close to each other, so there was a feeling of 'can't escape.' The problem is, some zones were really two guys and a chainsaw (The Saw zone on the lower lot in 09). I also give HHNH a little benefit of the doubt, since they don't have the twenty-plus years of SZ experience.

HOS, however, had the worst in my book. Zones spread far, few actors, with most actors seeming unconcerned.

Again, these are only my personal experiences, and are representative of the events or their zones as a whole. Perhaps I went on a better/worse than average day, perhaps it's because I only go early in the month. Yadda yadda.

In conclusion, TL;DR. Shut up, enjoy the events, and have fun.

Me on the other hand i only been to KSF and of course HHNH. Cleaver i must of went on a bad day because the SZ at KSF were beyond Horrible. The scareactors were kinda lazy and i didnt see much if any detailing throughout them. I even walked past one SZ that only had two guys and a whole area of empty gaps of space. It was really Disappointing. I agree on everyones thoughts,well besides the first post, of HHNH SZ. What i would like to see is a SZ in front of the simpsons and from the shrek venue to TT. I think we had a few scareactors in this area though. Well Universal does present a no escape method. i remember back in 07 jason being in the restroom one time. Every park has there flaws in SZ.

I think one problem we face in this discussion is expectations and preferences. KSF was my first, so that really set my bar for events as a whole (not includin Fright Dome since they didn't have zones back then and I wasn't into the 'haunting' world at that point). By the time I got to HHNO, I had experienced some great events, and having being touted as the best for years, I was expecting something truly great from them, and I felt I was let down a bit.

Someone from Orlando will have a set idea of what mazes, SZs, and events as a whole should be like, as they've had HHNO as thier starting point. So in their mind, every other event will be compared to HHNO, and every event should be the way that HHNO is. Same for those hailing from Hollywood, Knott's, etc. I guess it all depends on where you're from, what you're used to, and what you prefer.

• 3 months later...

This may seem to be a little off-topic, but does anybody know what's going to happen to Western Street? I notice that they closed it this year since the Thing exit didn't have the same "courtyard" exit that F13 and Halloween had for the past years. And if they're getting rid of it, what's going to happen to the WWW arena?

^It's possible it may have some new Western sets pieces up soon, but not anytime before Transformers opens. That's their sweet baby right now. After that's been open, then I would think they would fix that.

As for the future of the arena itself, it's going to stay. That area is actually used more often than you would think outside of HHN. They need it for Grinchmas and special events.