• Shrek Venue
    • T2 Venue
    • The Mummy Venue
    • JP Venue

POLL NOW ACTIVE.

I'll go first.

From favorite to least:

WWW Venue & Behind the Mummy (tied)

These two have been delivering consistently amazing mazes. The Behind the Mummy venue has delivered repeats over the last 4 years but in my opinion, they were both just as strong as the year prior, if not stronger. They also delivered the maze of the year, in my opinion, in their premiere years (well Saw and Halloween tied last year but for different reasons but you get my point).

Behind the Mummy - TCM & Saw

WWW Venue - F13: CB, Halloween, F13:KJK

TCM, is no secret, the best maze they've ever done. Saw had awesome pace and very effective scares.

F13: CB was a little weak both years but they were still uber fun. Halloween was the most detailed maze they've done and so amazing in so many levels. And F13:KJK was the most intense maze of 10.

Also a really big selling point for these two venues - queue entertainment. For it's first 3 years, the Mummy had queue videos. For it's first 2 years, F13: CB had move clips projected (what happeend to that? That was awesome!) Halloween had Michael killing his sister and well, KJK just had cool music playing over and over like it was taunting it's visitors before they entered.

Next year will be the big indicator as to which one will take the top spot. I think the Mummy already has a bit of an edge because their queue has always been in a set environment until now (seriously, WWWs set up rails get very annoying after awhile)

Shrek Venue

This maze had always failed to me until 10 but I dig the dark environment in the queue and the eerie music with the spotlight of the logo on the side of the building. Plus, it's not a makeshift queue for the most part. The mazes in itself are usually pretty short and you can see the top of the colorful tent but oh well.

T2

This venue may have quite a length on it but it has some work to do. There is no atmosphere in the queue but it does deliver quite an awesome facade. Plus, there's ceilings which is pretty damn awesome.

What are your favorite venues and why?

Edited by DTH316

I love all the maze venues, for different reasons.

1.) Shrek Venue - Its small and 'claustrophobic' in a sense, which fits well in creating a maze with eerie hallways and small spaces.

2.) WWW Venue- Great place to always have outside scenes (really hoping the Wolfman comes to HHN next year lol)

3.) Behind the Mummy- Obviously the venue in which TCM , the best maze so far has been placed in. haha

4.) T2 - Its HUGE , Awesome facade

• 10 months later...

The JP extended queue is my favorite venue. I'm surprised about how much space it had for the AC maze.

BTW

Does anybody know where the "Gibson Lawn" is located? I saw it in the Creative page and was wondering where it is and if it could be used for any future maze in HHN.

IMO JP extended and WWW arena are tied in my book... with WWW winning by hare's whisker.

Edited by iLuvStabWounds

I know I've said it before, but now I want to add a bit more meat to what I've been saying much earlier.

The T2 queue would take the cake as my favorite haunted house venue. It's a huge area with lots of space to work with (Largest venue by far as you all know) and will probably be the closest we will ever get to a sound stage house. It's probably the only venue where Murdy and his team don't have to worry about running out of space when designing a house there--that is, assuming the budget doesn't run out first. :rolleyes:

Not only does it have lots of space to work with, but it also allows for a bigger facade. It could be on the same level of the Disaster queue or even the sound stage houses in Orlando. Even better, because of it's location, they could have the facade set up in different places to make the house longer if they wanted to. Because of the structure of the T2 building, the facade is covered up on both ends so that nobody can see the walls inside of the maze.

Even though the area has a lot going for it, there are some downsides but in this case they are very minor and fixable. The only downside I can think of is that people during the day can look down at the layout and sort of be spoiled on how it's going to be. They could always put up some sort of screen or black tarp to help cover it up to allow the guests' curiosity of it to grow and go to the event; in fact, black tarp would be better as it could create the "nightsky" illusion assuming that guests are not going to look up at the warehouse-like ceiling. Another downside they have is that there are several support poles that they have to work around. They're always creative with them so this isn't much of an issue either.

My second favorite venue would have to be the Shrek area. Yes, it is the smallest house venue, but the area has a lot of great set-up to allow the house to tell a story even before guests walk in. La Llorona is a great example of this. They had aquatic blue lighting shining on the canvas in the queue to represent the river and they had several posters to tell the backstory of the house. They could also use the wall for a queue video and tell a story there, but maybe when the event goes on, the budget will get bigger and they might do that.

Secondly, like the T2 queue, the facade is well covered-up on both sides to make it feel like you are really entering that world. Even though everybody can see the stripped canvas on the side, it is forgivable. The only downside to this is that the facade always has to be in the same location and cannot be moved.

I also like the WWW and Jurassic venues since they are in black tent. They are the only venues besides HoH where the ceiling is not much of a creative issue since the black canvas gives the illusion of night sky. They are perfect for outdoor and forest settings. Downsides: They are tents so the facade is exposed by the walls of the tent, making it look like you are entering a big black tent with a fancy entrance. Jurassic is fixable since they could have some foliage or another wall of the facade to cover up the tent.

^I pretty much agree with everything you said. I love the Shrek Queue as well, but I do wish they could do something with the Tent there because in some rooms it is clearly visible. But I always like the claustrophobic feeling that maze seems to posses except in the Nightmare maze last year. I also think that the Shrek Queue makes them have to be more creative with the design and layout because of its smaller size.

^I pretty much agree with everything you said. I love the Shrek Queue as well, but I do wish they could do something with the Tent there because in some rooms it is clearly visible. But I always like the claustrophobic feeling that maze seems to posses except in the Nightmare maze last year. I also think that the Shrek Queue makes them have to be more creative with the design and layout because of its smaller size.

I forgot to mention that in my post, but that's the one thing that bugs me the most about that venue. It was a bit annoying to see the stripped canvas above us in the river scene. It felt like it sort of took away from the setting. I wonder if there's some sort of way they could just paint the canvas black or put up some sort of black covering to give a better illusion of nightsky. It would really enhance the experience.

West Venue continues to be a strong venue housing The Thing this year, outing Hostel in my opinion, which takes it out of the tie I used to have it and now makes it the clear victor due to some of the Mummy venue's tired shortcomings (read second paragraph for more on that). Usually has a great massive facade with a soundtrack that can be heard throughout the queue area. The queue can get a bit tight in spots but it is ALWAYS moving, which is a huge plus. Downfalls are the trashbag like tent that surrounds the entire maze and the now, missing "final final" scare area where someone would pop out of the big double doors as you were exiting. Hopefully that can be rebuilt when Western Street is rebuilt.

Mummy Venue still has a great flow and length to it but suffers from having a similar layout each year in the "U-Turn" like way with the facade and exit in the same exact spot when it doesn't have to be like other venues (such as the Shrek area). Although Hostel dropped the ball on me twice this year, it still delivers some rather strong scares in the area. Another great aspect is it's so isolated away from the park, making visitors actually feel as if they're being lead to an actual area of the theme park where the horrors that await in the maze may actually be taking place. The queue usually moves a bit slow but with the Backdraft section in place, it at least has some nice permanent bars to walk through instead of make shift ones. Also TVs and speakers throughout the area for in queue entertainment.

Shrek venue has really stepped it up over the last two years and if things keep going the way they are now, it could easily trump the Mummy venue (that's if the Mummy venue lasts). This has by far the best queue, starting with the ability to fix the lighting in whatever way appropriate for the maze and having a good amount of speakers in the area. This year, as we all know, they were implemented beautifully for La Llorona to tell a story. In years past, to really set the mood with Freddy's hopscotch song. Also, the projection of the name of the maze on the wall looks really cool. This year, one problem had in years past, the Shrek storytelling walls are covered but they even went the extra mile to put more walls up along the route just before the facade to continue the story. I just realized I spent pretty much this entire paragraph talking about the queue ALONE. As for the maze area itself, it's pretty small but allows for some close scares and claustrophobic environments. One downfall is the tent but if you're like me, you make a habit out of not looking up. With the assistance of the location, there's many final scares to be had and the curtain one for whatever reason seems to just never get old for unsuspecting victims. Another problem is I seem to constantly get tail end scares but I realized that's ONLY when the line is short which means the walkthrough just goes by too fast. This maze is probably the only one that benefits from conga-line as some scares don't come at a constant rate in here, for whatever reason (Which was my experience last year with NOES and this year on two of my walkthroughs with La Llorona)

JP queue has such a massive queue, it almost seems ridiculous but it at least doesn't have that "make shift" feel to it. Music in the queue also helps too. The JP environment detracts from things but with the right maze, it could fit in (imagine how silly it would be to place The Thing here!). One of my problems is you don't get a sense of the facade while waiting in line as it's off to the left, out of sight until you reach it. I like to be taunted by the entry. The maze length here is WONDERFUL but the exit walk back is just RIDICULOUS and places you in an entirely different area then where you started. Not that big of a deal but still, unless you're the type of person who is in awe of sound stages, the walk is pretty boring. Also, the facade area has room to be pretty big but with the overhead cover of the queue, you probably wouldn't be able to get the chance to see all of it until you're just about to walk in.

T2 is a nice and giant location BUT the queue is so incredibly boring that it takes me out of the fun of the event. With NO music playing anywhere passed the Coke Soak area, NO special lighting and no projections even to look at; you could forget you're at HHN entirely. It doesn't help that this is usually the slowest moving queue also. The facade area is massive though and there's a ceiling but without the right setting just before the maze, no excitement can build. I do like however that the maze layout makes it seem like you're constantly moving forward, instead of back and forth in space just to take up all the possible room. I need to see another attraction in this area as I do think it has potential.

• 1 month later...

Am I the only person who wants the Mummy Queue location gone?

I mean, Saw and Hostel were good maze and Hostel had an amazing facade, but the layout just feels like its the same all the time. There is also no room to be able to change the scene or have a showstopper like the River Room from La Llorona, and it doesn't ever feel like we are trying to get out of someplace, heck we make a U turn in the middle of the house. I for one will be glad to not have this location next year, if the make-up location works.

Anybody with me?

Am I the only person who wants the Mummy Queue location gone?

I mean, Saw and Hostel were good maze and Hostel had an amazing facade, but the layout just feels like its the same all the time. There is also no room to be able to change the scene or have a showstopper like the River Room from La Llorona, and it doesn't ever feel like we are trying to get out of someplace, heck we make a U turn in the middle of the house. I for one will be glad to not have this location next year, if the make-up location works.

Anybody with me?

If what my sources are correct, you may more than get your wish this year. :)

^ I totally agree, IMO I think they should get rid of it all together.

But if Uni decides to keep, they should probably leave as the HoH and not invest any more for a overlay since it wouldn't make a difference whether they do an overlay or not.

^^Make-up workshop? Really? :)

Make-Up Venue. Should have worded that better, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm voting based only on the potential of the locations.

Based on that, I give it to T2 for several reasons:

1) The house area is very large

2) It allows for a massive facade - even a facade that can be broken into different areas.

3) It passes by a whole bunch of potential pre-house scare areas. Consider the stairs shortly before the house entrance, or the fenced off storage area that the queue passes by.

4) The area the queue passes through is so open, it could even be its own related scarezone. They could even park vehicles along the area for a Doomsday type house.

5) Along the lines of #4, the queue could be relegated to the Coke Soak, such that the house "begins" with a walk outside the building. Personally, I envision bungee scares coming from the roof. Weather is the only concern here.

6) Projections (think Acid Rain from Orlando). It won't be long before Hollywood uses these even more. We've seen before how effectively they were for interior projections in New York area. Imagine what they could do with the massive T2 walls.

Yeah - Shrek has allowed for some great facades and even greater houses, but you're still stuck with a castle pre- and post-house. T2 is a blank canvas of white walls in the queue that can become anything they want it to be. That they haven't utilized the full potential of T2 is beside the point; it clearly takes the cake when it comes to possibilities.

EDIT - It's funny.... Technically, we should all be voting for HoH because all of us want to see another Soundstage house happen at HHN and HoH is probably the closest we're going to get. But I guess we have now convinced ourselves that the venue is a lost cause. I've stated before that my big wish (aside from retiring Terror Tram for a few years) is that HoH gets gutted every Jul 31st and replaced with the signature HHN house - premiering at HHN and remaining open though the next Jul 31st. Wouldn't you guys like to see that? Of course, according to my wish, they have to put a brand new soundstage quality house there every year - not some throwaway crap built around one elaborate set piece.

I was saying the same thing with the HoH about 2 years back when I was suggesting they do a Thing maze to replace the HoH and keep it year round until they do a new maze for the next one. I was HOPING they might even consider that when they started construction in the old WWW venue and they could move Grinchmas back to where it used to be in front of the HoH with the Grinch maze, but no dice. Oh well. And I believe the T2 venue has a lot of potential too. Everytime I walked back there, all I could think was "they could be doing this, this, this" and it actually made me a bit disappointed. I don't know if that's a lack of creativity, budget or because it doesn't fit within the element of House of 1000 Corpses, but they definitely need to do something with all that space back there because it's themeless and totally takes me out of HHN.