Employee Preview Review

CinemaOfTheDead

Well here's my take of yesterday's event... I went to only all 8 houses, 5 scarezones(didn't go to Esceleto), and sadly no shows.

Warning Spoilers Ahead (nothing that will completely destroy the good time you'll have just a warning to the ones who is spoiling haters)

Overall:

The lines weren't that chaotic as other years in the past but Horror Nights: Hallow'd Past was the most i had to wait for (30 minutes)

The Que Experience that was promised to be better than ever... with the Que Videos and the text messaging experience but the sad thing is all 8 houses had the same Que video playing and it's only past pictures and videos(past que videos included) but most of the footage was from the archives/cabinets site but some new footage from HHN's past so it wasn't anything impressive to look at and the text messaging didn't work (most likely will be operated in Opening Night as always)

The Video in front of the park: It's the same video that was the prize of Warehouse Exxpirence but extended version with more showings of the icons, icon "collectables" (the award for each game in W.E), The XX lantern, and Fear. Afterwords, a good showing of the lantern for a good minute and a half. Yup that's all.

Now the thing you came for:

Houses:

My first house was HAVOC: Dogs of War and the fun thing is that i ran to it and i was the first one to ever go inside Shadow Creek's military base... so it was a special and awfully scary feeling but the house in itself was pretty damn good scares here and there but the atmosphere wasn't that great as it seems like your going into the same room over and over it needed more of a variety like a training room there and a lab there but the scares themselves were above average but not the scariest house in the park but the whole no one is in front of me got me very good. And i thought the serum would make them look more super powered or mutant looking but just average army people with big boils were stalking around the base but as my first house this year it did a solid performance. The Facade looked damn good for a tent house (best facade that is not in a SS). I even took a picture but still needs to upload it to photobucket. Story lacked as you don't see much of what happened before the effects took place or how does this new power actually is displayed it was just argh army guy with machine guns and boils.

Story-2/5 Skulls

Atmosphere-3.5/5 Skulls

Fear/Scares- 4/5 Skulls

Overall-3.5/5 Skulls

Second house of the night was Catacombs when i tried to go to Horror Nights there was a huge line and it didn't open yet so i did Catacombs which was close by. The facade was okay for trying to represent a dig site but it seemed cheap as it was only exploring lights and a cheap black tarp around it... something you don't want to see for a wait for 30 minutes to end up seeing a black tarp that you use to gather up your garbage. But its interesting that there are small bits of information before the house about the black plague but didn't get to read it as the line moved inside so it was a good idea but they need to display it better. When you enter it seemed like the old Dueling Dragons' cave that was used to be filled with skulls and bones but throughout the house its the same and the same over and over except the final 2-3 rooms but it seemed like A&D tried for making the fear of claustrophobia play in this house but with that it was easy to see point out the boo holes throughout the house. But the costumes seem great as the "masks" are related from the time of the black death as they try to stop spreading the disease using those specific masks so it was good in that way but everyone wears the same outfit/hat and wished to see more citizens of that time period coming back from the dead. The last rooms were the special treat that got a couple of scares from me.

Story-4/5 Skulls

Atmosphere-2/5 Skulls

Fear/Scares- 3/5 Skulls

Overall- 2.5/5 Skulls

Third house of the night was a special one for me... Zombiegeden this house was pretty awesome as the story was very entertaining and fun . The facade is average looking as you enter you think this will be the dark humor house like Psychoscaraphy:Home for the Holidays or Leave It to Cleaver but it quickly changes into a true mean red horror halfway through the house as the zombies break the chains and turn maniac so it had a great blend of both themes way better than the past houses that was told above. There were scares but not often that i hoped for. And the look of it seemed very fun to go through.It's a house worth eating your brains to get back in line for this house. Btw this is the only house i seen that has it's own fully original Que Video and boy it was fun(as good as LITC or even better) sad thing is i only catch a clip. Don't want to ruin your fun filling you in to much of the story but if you like cruel humor houses you'll adore this one.

Story-4.5/5 Skulls

Atmosphere-4/5 Skulls

Fear/Scares-3/5 Skulls

Overall-4/5 Skulls

My forth house was very much one of the best in the event in my opinion. Hades:Gates of Ruin. From the Gates(facade) to the end it was pretty damn well neat it looked great but the only thing i wished for is to see the "man of the hour" more as i didn't get to see him but the rest were awesome topnotch. The costumes are very effective and illustrates perfectly what most of the creatures would look like which was rare for this year. Most of the scares were great, the length was reasonable even though i loved this house (best house of the year in my case). But lets say this can change if i get more scares from the other house as in every room someone got me especially in one room but why ruin the surprise? Don't stare or you will stay like that forever.

Story: 4/5

Atmosphere: 4/5

Fear/Scares: 5/5

Overall 4.5/5

The fifth house being Psychoscarphy:Echoes of Shadybrook which was for me one of the worst at least in Catacombs i got scared in this one no scares or jump-scares throughout the whole house and I'm the jumpy one even if it's bad but maybe i can blame it was a bad day for them. But the story is so plain just Shadybrook is closed but the inmates are still running wild! But it seemed very tame unlike past houses that you see something cruel or humorous i know they are trying a serious house but it didn't fit well for this franchise. And sadly no smells to remember. The costumes themselves seemed like they got them from their first two houses and just add more blood. The atmosphere is something you would already seen if you attended a psychoscraphy house that is not home for the holidays but even with that it still seems dull looking at the same room over and over. Bad way to say goodbye to a great franchise.

Story:2/5

Atmosphere: 2.5/5

Fear/Scares:1/5

Overall: 2/5

Next House was Horror Night:The Hallow'd Past which i have a love and hate relationship as i always wanted to see this kind of house but there were for me not to many scares and they didn't use all the years only the recent ones and only two houses/street that was before HHN 16and their scenes are cut short) was added so it wont be an awesome history lesson that most younglings of the event would love. The scares were okay nothing to memorable just only 2 jumps and then out but it's fun to see some house scenes you adore coming back for one last chance for spotlight. The costumes seems like they would couple of years ago. The House was a small length for me as the beginning was just a ohh and aww showing of the warehouse doing nothing until the spiral room and then a couple of familar scareactors come and great you but they really need to make this about the 20 years of fear and not just collecting from 5 years. The atmosphere seemed like the real prop warehouse with house scenes was pretty well done but not much scareactors scaring which was the downfall of this awesome house.

Story:4/5

Atmosphere 3.5/5

Fear/Scares: 3/5

Overall: 4/5

A special house for the fans was The Orphanage: Ashes to Ashes was interesting at first as you been welcomed in but in the middle seems like The Schoolhouse from there on and not really Cindy's house as i seen her one time. If you had scares in the schoolhouse (which i didn't but the scarezone seemed awesome at the time) you will get scared here but there seems like a super size version of the schoolhouse. Same costumes only add burned

orphanage story and cindy.But if you really wished for a whole house dedicated to her you might get dissapointed to see the results (i know i did). Only got one-two scares in this one. But the story makes up as it looks like they did their job on making a burned orphanage.

Story: 3/5

Atmosphere: 3.5/5

Fear/Scares: 2/5

Overall: 3/5

Last but not least, Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate was pretty damn good on the scare factor as this is crawling(when you see the hallway youll get my meaning) with paranormal activity (T.C.E Lvl 1) but you won't see much of LT in this only in the intro and the background. The ghost were just glowing masked people with old fashioned attire so it was okay. Had a couple scares (4-5) so it was pretty awesome in a way during a couple of rooms but the rest lacked. It is a pretty interesting how they pull off the original Haunted House and it seemed very real.

Story: 3.5/5

Atmosphere: 3.5/5

Fear/Scares: 4/5

Overall: 3.5/5

Scarezones and Photos coming up in a bit.

Edited by Andrew Ryan

Andrew, you may have won the award for longest sentence:

"When you enter it seemed like the old Dueling Dragons' cave that was used to be filled with skulls and bones but throughout the house its the same and the same over and over except the final 2-3 rooms but it seemed like A&D tried for making the fear of claustrophobia play in this house but with that it was easy to see point out the boo holes throughout the house but the costumes seem great as the "masks" are related from the time of the black death as they try to stop spreading the disease using those specific masks so it was good in that way but everyone wears the same outfit/hat and wished to see more citizens of that time period coming back from the dead."

good review, btw