My quick review

Oysterhead00

Event Weather:  0/10

By far the worst weather we’ve had on any trip…including when we were down during a Hurricane a few years ago.  Thursday was 93 with a real feel of 102…but there was no HHN that day (thanks Microsoft).  Friday the rain held off until 6pm.  Did the S&S at Finnegan’s and left and went straight to The Shining.  Halfway through the neverending maze in the concert queue it started drizzling.  Then raining.  Then POURING…right about when the line stopped moving.  Stood there with zero shelter for a good 10 minutes.  Sat was the worst day and after the Friday fiasco, didn’t even go until 11pm and stayed until closing.  Did both shows that night and a couple houses.  Sunday, that they were forecasting to be the worst day, was actually the best and the only time we really saw all the scareactors (though a lot seemed to be missing from the IP zone).

Overall Event:  8/10

Houses rated a solid 10.  Blumhouse was the only one my group didn’t care for.  The facades, where they had them, were amazing.  Both shows were solid.  The real weakspot was unfortunately the Scare Zones.  I’ve been on record often saying I prefer the Scare Zones to the Houses…but this year they were horrible.  The Purge was probably the best in terms of atmosphere and scares.  Trick R Treat was the best to walk through but had pretty much zero scares.  Their directions seemed to be to walk directly at people and turn away at the last second without so much as lunging at them or screaming or anything.  Invasion looked great and the costumes/masks were great….but they just paced around.  The only person doing anything was the soldier by the sandbags.  

100% Spoiler Free Rankings (may update this review in a week or two after I’ve had more time to think about it).

Houses

1. Scarecrow – Amazing house with the best scares and cast in the whole event.
  2. Dead Waters – Pretty much any other year, this would be #1 without a doubt.  JAWDROPPING FACADE
  3. Ash vs Evil Dead – Love the movies, love the show, loved the house.  The one “can’t believe they did it!” gag was great…except the time we went through and there was nobody in it.   Those who have already gone through it can imagine how weird that looked.
  4. The Shining – Looked great, low on scares.  Twins were amazing though.
  5. Hive – The actors BROUGHT it.  They really need to get BLACK ear plugs though…nothing like shining black lights on people with neon orange earplugs.  First time that a smell effect actually felt right and helped with immersion. 
  6. AHS – I hadn’t seen any of these seasons so I wasn’t all that impressed.  I blame myself for that.  There were a couple good scares.
  7. The Fallen – The disappointment of the event in my mind.  Came in with sky high hopes and it was a huge let down.  Lots of eye candy sets…but just boring.  The coolest creatures were just there to do their thing and not even try to scare.
  8. Saw – Same problems as the first time…it’s all about timing.
  9. Horrors of Blumhouse – Other than The Purge I haven’t seen any of the movies from this house.  Did nothing for me.

Zones

1. Trick R Treat – Looked amazing.  Should have not bothered with having Scareactors in it.  Would have been just as good without any actors as they didn’t add anything…should have added the actors to the Alters of Horror zone.
  2. Invasion! – Thought it was just as good as last year’s zone here, but was even more cramped and no real scares to be had at all.
  3. The Purge – Worked just as well as before, the one stage was boring, but the rest was entertaining.
  4. Clowns in Springfield (and front of the park…ran into a couple there) – Same old same old.  They bring it.
  5. Alters of Horror – Where were all the scareactors?  And can we stop calling it a selfie / photo op zone?  It’s like they were explicitly told NOT to allow pictures.  Also, we went through this and never saw the Twins or the Bear if they were actually there.  Pablo just kept doing the same “scare” over and over. 
  6. Festival of the Deadliest – had a lot of stages to be used…but scareactors were NEVER on them.  Only saw the antler chicks one night before it got dark...never saw them at night.  I blame the weather for that.

Shows

1. Academy of Villains – Was just awesome.  Hope that the stage fiasco means they’ll be back next year with the full show.  The painting was awesome. 
  2. Bill and Ted’s – Was OK.  I’ve said it before, I’m getting too old to get all the references.  My breakdown would be 25% were hilarious, 50% I didn’t really get, and 25% I understood but didn’t really care about.  They seemed like they upped the cursing and lewdness a bit which is great.  This might be the tiniest of tiny spoilers:  They never got in the phonebooth!  They used to get in and out a few times a show.  That really stood out.

Unmasking the Horror Tour:  0/10

First time in the past 10 years I didn't do the tour.  The photo bullshit means I won't be doing it ever again.  If seeing Deep Waters' facade didn't make me relent, nothing will.  I'm not paying $150 after taxes for Story Time.  Already spent $300 for 3 nights (once again, thanks Microsoft) so not paying half that again to get to look at the houses with lights on and have arbitrary rules about what you can and can't take pictures of.

Edited by Oysterhead00
Cleaned up some formatting
  • Like 1