HHNH 2017 Suggestions, Issues, and Improvments

(As a preface, I can only go off pictures and videos of the event. However there are those who attended who share the same thoughts.)

Good thing you brought this thread back, mazethinker. Since honestly, this is a weak year. An' there's a lot to say.

Mazes (Overall): Enough with the black hallways/rooms etc., they're so prevalant throughout the event it's not even funny. Some might say they're "transitions", but for me it's a lazy cop out when it's used all over the place and in multiple cases it breaks the flow of the maze. An' when I look over at Orlando's houses which use the same IP and they seamlessly transition from scene to scene without any black hallways...HW has no excuse for theirs.

On top of that, put some variety in the scares. I've personally felt Horror Nights relies a bit too much on trigger scares, but here it's a bit worse because there's a lot of "box" scares. Someone standing in a "box/window", often with a blackout curtain and popping/leaning forward from that. (More often then not, it's in a black hall/room.) Not to mention it's the same ol' strobe and sound effect for every one. Switch it up, have scares with no strobe or sound effect, or have scares with just a sound effect so it doesn't have the giveaway strobe. With all the mazes having black hallways/rooms, and a whole lotta' box scares, they all feel the same.

Finally the finales...or in this case the -lack- of finales. Most of the mazes don't have a defined ending, there's no themed room to end on a particular note or impact, most just take the lazy route with a black hallway/room with box scares. Seriously, just of last year we had some great finales. Krampus's happy purgatory, Freddy vs Jason's changing victory, and Halloweens amazingly surreal finale. This year there's really none of that, the only two that get close is the Shining or Saw, but that's it.

As for the mazes on their own...
The Shining : This one mainly needs the black hallways trimmed, and I'd change up the mask/morphsuit of the old woman since trying to do the more rotted appearance doesn't quite look right. Orlando's does more of a nude appearance and for me it looked better. Also speaking of Orlando, they found a way to have the elevator spray blood, so I'd have used the same effect in this and not a friggin' projection.

Ash vs Evil Dead : This one suffers the most from the black hallways/rooms, so all of that has got to be trimmed. Also, I would've incorperated more of the humor into it, since I was really hoping to see a Ashy Slashy puppet and I didn't see him anywhere. (Unlike Orlando where he's used quite nicely in the finale.)

Insidious : This is one of the few which I'll let the black hallways/rooms slide, since the further itself is darkness and fog. I wish this had more of a finale like the previous incarnation, and speaking of which. This year doesn't have the aweome above scares the previous version had, so I would've had those in as well.

Titans of Terror : The main thing I would add/change, is give this the finale it deserves. It starts perfectly with the home haunt and the kid going into a dream, but unfortunately the maze never returns to the house. Instead it just does a black hallway with box scares of all the titans, that's just lazy. The best way to end that maze is return to the house, with all the titans attacking in there. The only other thing I would change is giving different scenes for Leatherface & crew, since the very same scenes are used in the Terror Tram.

Scare Zones

Hell O Ween - This zone needs better theming, not wheeled in displays where it looked like they took a bunch of props from a warehouse, slapped them together and called it a day.

Toxic Tunnel - Why do they keep trying to make this tunnel a "scare zone"? It just doesn't work. I'd put in some lights and music and leave it at that.

Urban Inferno - While I was excited at the concept and the idea of making this a gauntlet of sorts, this unfortunately feels thrown together like Hell o Ween. Put in better props, bring in the flame tower, take out the slower orchastral music and blast heavy metal a la' Welcome to Hell. They've got some cool demons in there, but they should be able to run amok.

titans of terror - add a sheet maze for leatherface,

saw - add more new traps and not old ones, like the 10 pints of blood, the horsepower trap, the venus fly trap, the angel trap etc etc

shining - actually use blood for the elevator like orlando

blumhouse - replace purge and hdd with get out and split

and ahs - actually make it a mashup maze with asylum, coven, and ronake

There's so many problems this year, there's no fixing it other than just tearing a lot of it down and rebuilding. A lot of it stems from the actual inception and early design elements of the maze. They were just thought up poorly. This is a huge step down since last year was their best year ever and this might be their worst (have to do a review and look back at older stuff to confirm that).

1 minute ago, DTH316 said:

There's so many problems this year, there's no fixing it other than just tearing a lot of it down and rebuilding. A lot of it stems from the actual inception and early design elements of the maze. They were just thought up poorly. This is a huge step down since last year was their best year ever and this might be their worst (have to do a review and look back at older stuff to confirm that).

eh i think 2012 was worser, only good maze that year was la llorana 

I would just edit scenes and get rid of black walls in some of the various mazes, anyways:

All of the mazes: A proper finale, I think Insidious was the only one with a closing scene that made sense. A Finale should be memorable and make you want to get out of the maze, which only 1-2 actually did.

Titans of Terror: More TCM. I feel like after Back in Business they haven't been able to make a great TCM maze(in this case maze section). However, Freddy and Jason were good in this maze, and I felt like they're sections delivered the highest quality.

Blumhouse of Horrors: Add more snuff films into Sinister. Was a good section but was mostly just hallways when there was so much to work with. Also abandon the mini Purge(Big Daddy and soldiers) at the end, could've easily been a mini Ouija or Get Out room or a HDD/Sinister/Purge all at once room for the finale. 

Insidious: More Key Demon and Dirty Lady, and maybe have the little boy with the duck mask pop out since he was pretty creepy.

The Shining: I think this maze is fine. If I had to change it, I would have the Grady Twins pop out after you see them at the end of the hall, have Wendy pop out from their room instead of a random hallway of nothing, and have the elevator be like what Orlando did.

Ash vs Evil Dead: Oh boy there's a lot to fix here. I would make this a copy and paste of Orlando's maze, since they did it perfectly. If not that, I would do what was speculated of this maze to be(make it Evil Dead 2.) Also I would get rid of the black walls they're not needed for this maze and add more comedy.

AHS: Roanoke: I would add more of the characters into this maze, it relied to heavily on the Pig Man and Butcher. Scathach and some of the actors from the second half of the season weren't even in the maze; and for a house based on one season that's not very good. It's a good house but for it being dedicated to one season I was hoping we'd get the chandelier, Scathach, the colonist girl Flora talked too, and more of the Polks. Good maze, but if they do Asylum next year I'm expecting everything in it.

Saw: The Games of Jigsaw: Good maze, desperately needs scares though. It felt more like a museum with an occasional henchman. Razor Wire maze should've had more strobes, stuff hanging in face, and pig men popping out to disorient you. The Jigsaw trap should've had less static figures and maybe two more actors in the scene. Overall this maze should've had for actors scaring you and could've used a little bit more noise, some parts were louder than others and traps like the rack were silent when I went. 

Scare Zones: Get rid of the dubstep and start making better theming. At this point we should just make every zone a gauntlet or Purge since those seem to be the few things that work.

Edit: I'm slightly concerned for the speculated things of next year(Conjuring, It, Twin Peaks, maybe Iron Maiden) because I don't want them to get the black wall treatment.

Edited by wow

2 hours ago, themazethinker said:

eh i think 2012 was worser, only good maze that year was la llorana 

1 hour ago, bendelthegreat said:

La Llorna, Silent Hill, TCM, and The Walking Dead all were great that year (especially because it was the WD's first year so it was fresh). Alice Cooper and Monsters Remixed were alright mazes.

Agreed. La Llorona was amazing, but Silent Hill improved greatly the second time I went, Saw is the Law is the second best TCM maze behind BiB, and c'mon now, the first year of Walking Dead was astounding!

I feel this year was phoned in tbh but ehh I'm still gonna have fun but I can see why a lot of veterans might hate it since it seems to be only 15% new material a lot of the gags are reused on the repeats (Jason bed kill, snake Freddy, most anything with leather face, 95% of saw lol I think only one scene is from the new movie) ect. It's no biggie outside of saw since I'm a fan of insidious (except darth Maul lol) Purge and The big three but I can see people being annoyed hopefully next year is brand spanking new