Question for ... Hikers I guess?

Hi everyone :) 

I'm sitting here looking at my FFP+Express pass and being sad about two things.

One, I can't go tonight....Because:

Two, my feet got all messed up yesterday and we actually even had to leave early. We only saw one house!!! That hasn't happened since HHN 20. And that was an outlier - wifey and I usually see every house on opening night. Especially for the past 3 years when we get the Express passes (omg FFP+Express is NEXT LEVEL). 

I'll back up a bit. I'm a big dude. Tall heavy whatever. And I try to walk around as much as I can when the weather's right but, as any FL resident knows, by the time September 15th rolls around, there's not been appropriate "Go Wander Outside" weather for months. Especially for a big guy like me. . .  I was drenched in sweat before we even got in the park last night. My blood's too thick for FL.

After some hassle with the tickets I won't go into, and our immediate need to eat something or we'd fall down, we finally got out into the streets of HHN last night at around 8:30. We saw the Shining - I've been waiting for EVER for HHN to do that - and then, after a brief wait in the line for one of the other houses, we just .. left. I was starting to get nasty blisters ("hot spots" at that point), and we were both otherwise......... Not Feeling It. 

So here's where we get to my question here. I wear compression socks now when I know I'm going to be on my feet for a while so my HUGE BULK!!!!!!! doesn't cause shin splints. They help. Last night that was all I had.

We're going to do the Full Run tomorrow. I'm going to tape my feet up and wear the socks I was using before - athletic socks with thick padding on the bottom I used to wear on long walks.  But I also want to wear my compression socks.

Question is . . . .  What order do I wear them in? My logic says compression socks first, athletic socks after. But, as anyone who's worn or seen compression socks knows, they're by nature really thin. I'm afraid they'd shear that way. 

Then again, I think if I put the thicker socks on first, it would result in less compression and thus defeat the purpose. 

The Super-short tl;dr version: how do youse guys get around getting debilitated from the huge amount of walking involved in a night at HHN? Last year my brother's step counter clocked the distance from when we left the garage to when we got back at just under 11 miles (?!?!?!!). 

I never had this problem the first day. It's lame. I do end up getting foot problems a few weeks in (our plan with the FFP is to go every night, unless we don't wanna :) ).....  I imagine the same stuff people do for long hikes would work here. Can anyone help?

When I broke my ankle my Dr recommended compression socks if I felt like I needed added support and was quick to point out that you ALWAYS wear them under your regular socks.  Regular socks tend to sag and roll up and if they are under the compression socks, that could cause circulation issues.  If they roll up and then are subjected to the compression that could cause an issue.  I THINK he also said something about it hindering the healing process from lack of bloodflow (though I assumed it was already healed if I was walking on it).   He recommended a particular type for my type of injury...but I can't remember now.

Google to find more about it, but that's what I was told by an Orthopedic Surgeon 2 years ago.  He told me more, like how to put them on for max results, but I honestly can't remember as I didn't pay attention (I'm an idiot like that, I never went to PT either).

Take this with a grain of salt...but seems logical so I think I'm remembering correctly.

23 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

When I broke my ankle my Dr recommended compression socks if I felt like I needed added support and was quick to point out that you ALWAYS wear them under your regular socks.  Regular socks tend to sag and roll up and if they are under the compression socks, that could cause circulation issues.  If they roll up and then are subjected to the compression that could cause an issue.  I THINK he also said something about it hindering the healing process from lack of bloodflow (though I assumed it was already healed if I was walking on it).   He recommended a particular type for my type of injury...but I can't remember now.

Google to find more about it, but that's what I was told by an Orthopedic Surgeon 2 years ago.  He told me more, like how to put them on for max results, but I honestly can't remember as I didn't pay attention (I'm an idiot like that, I never went to PT either).

Take this with a grain of salt...but seems logical so I think I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks for the input!

I suppose the question is ... Did it help?

When I started visiting yearly in 2004 - 13 years younger - I could do commando runs.  Meaning visiting Orlando for a week and doing multiple parks per day.  I always got tired, but nothing I couldn't handle.  I protected myself from foot blisters by wearing 2 pairs of socks and loose shoes.  If it appeared I was heading toward a blister, I applied moleskin - best stuff in the world.  I also used Two Toms Blistershield liberally around the, shall we say, more sensitive areas of my torso.  A rash or boil there is devastating.  

That was 13 years ago...  Now at 50, a commando run is a night at HHN where I circle the park twice.  Still wear the double socks.  Still use the Two Tom's and moleskin.

A couple of years ago I went to HHN two nights in a row and did WAY too much.  Blew out my feet entirely.  Could barely walk.  So I had to rent an EV for the UTH tour.  That was super embarrassing but what are you gonna do?  It was mildly helpful, but of course it could not go inside the houses so I had to hoof it.

Every year I keep forgetting I'm getting older, and I do too much.  So this year I promise myself - one lap around the park per night and take the days off.  That's one thing HHN Hollywood has over Orlando HHN - the queues at HHN Hollywood are so much better.  We have only one looong walk to the backlot, which is about as long as the AHS queue in Orlando was.  Give me Hollywood queues and Hollywood weather in Orlando and I'd be happy as can be.