Mission Report: December 16th... I Mean November 4th

Grindhousehero13

I'm gonna make my review this year sweet and to the point... 

In chronological order.

Scarezone- Honestly as great as the Gauntlet of fear it felt empty this year I still don't get why we can't have a SZ in the lower lot. I don't know if it was just because it was the last weekend but the New York street felt empty. 

Grade: D

The Exorcist- Not the best but was pretty good considering the source material not too much to say but it was okay. The coolest part was the facade. Also all the static seemed like an odd choice

Facade: A+

Scares: C

Environment: C

Overall: C+

Halloween: Hell Comes To Haddonfield- Honestly tied for best maze of the night, I wasn't a fan of the last two mazes especially last year's and I never really been afraid of Michael Myers even though I love the Halloween series but the Michaels in the maze were intimidating and several got me pretty good. Funny seeing Murdy on the TV in the first room. Loved that they based it off the second movie and got to the jacuzzi kill. The surreal parts at end with floating pumpkins and inside the faint one was a cool touch loved it!

Facade: C+

Scares: A+

Environment: A-

Overall: A

Freddy Vs Jason- The other tied for best maze. So good and nostalgic to see the original Freddy and Jason back. This maze could of been longer but it didn't take away at all all the liberties were great but I kinda wish they had a video or voice to give a back story but again didn't take away but would of been appreciated the scrim gage where the room turned into the boiler room was amazing. Also those all black rooms with the tunnel light really f'ed my shit up good job.

Facade: B

Scares: A-

Environment: A

overall: A

American Horror Story- I feel wierd on the choices of seasons but it was a decent maze, had no idea what was going on in the hotel section but didn't hurt. Got some great scares though. And for thinking Twisty is a dumb character the guys playing him here were great loved the transitions and the maze had to been the best looking maze this year. That being said the facade was really weak. This might come back I got a gut feeling.

Facade: F

Scares: B+

Environment: A+

Overall: B

Krampus- Exactly what I wanted! Was a really cool maze but I missed a lot of scares so I can't judge but was a great maze in all other aspects just minus the Krampus reindeer. So bummed they didn't do the password last night though. 

Facade- A

Scares- ?

Environment-A

Overall B+/A-

Gauntlet of Fear- not sure how to judge this but I loved it felt like a full maze hope to see this used again but with a different theme. 

TWD- since this is year round I won't grade but as much as I love Walking Dead I'm glad this is just a normal attraction plus it felt super short.

Terror Tram - this year was so meh and idk why felt super short everything just felt half assed the only cool thing was the video and the tram drop off other then that I really felt like this was a flop. 

Overall: F

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Blood Brothers- I'm under the impression now that original Leatherface just does not do it for me the talent was great but it was a boring maze in my opinion but at least no black walls. 

Facade: C

Scares: C

Environment: B

oberall: C

so overall great year but just left me wanting more really excited for next year! 

5 hours ago, DTH316 said:

Sounds like you had a good time! Where would you say this year ranks among the other ones?

It's hard to say because Halloween, Freddy vs Jason and Krampus are some of the best mazes Murdy has ever done  up there with TCM: Back in Buesiness and Into the further  but the terror tram was really weak and the lack of scarezones made certain areas seem empty but it one of the better years 

Didn't you go in 2006? More like your 11th! ;) BUT your 10th ANNIVERSARY.

I noticed this was my 10th year. And next year will be my 10th anniversary. Opening weekend will be trip number 19 and closing weekend will be trip number 20, very close to the first time I went to HHN which was Halloween 2007. That was such a special night, I'll be very excited to celebrate such a wonderful marriage of Haunt with Universal!