YDKJ's HHN 25 Review

YouDontKnowJack

I know it's a bit late (as I was there on the 16th and 17th), but here is my review of HHN 25.

To start out, I would like to say that of the three years I have gone, this year was by far the best. Not one maze was "bad." It was also nice running into some HNN members including MZ, Figment, and Dr. Jimmy. :D

Let's start with the mazes. Here they are ranked from worst to best:

The Walking Dead: The Living and the Dead (6/10)

A lot of people really disliked this house, but I thought it was really fun. It was way more intense than TWD mazes from 2013 and 2014, and the food bank scene was awesome! Not much else to say besides it's TWD.

Asylum in Wonderland 3D (6.5/10)

As far as 3D houses go, this one was phenomenal (particularly when the only other one you experienced at HHN was Afterlife). It did lack intense scares, however, and it would have been better if not 3D.

The Purge (7/10)

Whatever this house lacked in set design (understandably) made up for it with atmosphere and intensity. While not the scariest or creepiest of the event, it was by far the most intense overall.

Insidious (7.5/10)

While Insidious was a great house, it wasn't nearly as scary as anyone made it out to be. In fact, I got a few better scares in TWD. The one thing it did have going for it, however, was the creep factor. Definitely the most unsettling house of the event.

An American Werewolf in London (N/A)

The only reason this one has no rating is because it is a repeat. To see my full thoughts on this one, check out my 2013 review.

RUN: Blood, Sweat and Fears (8/10)

This house gets a lot of hate, and I don't really understand why. The first time I went through it I didn't care for it very much, however it got better with every trip through. It was a solid house and a good send-off for the Disaster queue.

Freddy vs. Jason (8.5/10)

This was a great house with great sets and great actors. I felt totally inmersed in the sets, and I almost had a panic attack (from excitement, awe, and fear) when I found myself at the doorstep of 1428 Elm Street. It was also by far the scariest house of the night. The only problem was the last few rooms. They lacked the amazing detail of the previous rooms and the video effects were laughable.

Body Collectors: Recollections (9/10)

This one was great. I was finally able to experience a Psychoscareapy house AND a Body Collectors house in one fell swoop. Amazing sets, characters, and story truly made the experience one to remember, too.

Jack Presents: 25 Years of Monsters and Mayhem (10/10)

I was given only one word to describe this one, it would be awesome. It had by far the best sets, scares, and characters of the night. A truly amazing house that one must see to believe.

Now, onto the scareszones:

Scary Tales: Screampunk (5/10)

This zone showed a whole lot of effort and very little payoff. The giant gears were pretty sweet, but the characters just seemed generic and not very intimidating.

All Nite Die-In: Double Feature (7/10)

A very fun zone which could have been terrifying if it wasn't for guests turning it into a photo-op. That's really all I have to say about this one.

Evil's Roots (8/10)

By far the most atmospheric zone of the event. What it lacked in scares was clearly made up for in atmosphere.

Psychoscareapy: Unleashed (9/10)

This was an awesome zone! It was extremely chaotic and I actually felt as if I was in danger at times!

Icons: HHN (10/10)

This zone was downright jaw-dropping. While not as scary as Psyhoscareapy, it was amazing to see all the icons together. The kills are what really sealed the deal for me.

Now onto shows:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure (6/10)

I'm not sure where they went wrong this year. Last year's show was awesome and this year's was just sublime.

The Carnage Returns (10/10)

This was an amazing show overall. The dancing, the music, and the pyro all enhanced the amazing special effects. This one was truly a spectacle.

Well, there you have it! My review of HHN 25 is complete. I'm looking forward to HHN 26!

Edited by YouDontKnowJack
  • Like 2