Darth Celebrates The Kill (HHN25 EP Night /Opening Night) SPOILER FREE

DarthSpielberg

In 2007, a horror fan in Boston stumbled across the website for Halloween Horror Nights 17. The concept of the Carnival of Carnage intrigued me, but moreso was this event with a a huge story wrapped around it and the houses featured. From then on, I made sure to follow the event , wishing desperately I could attend. This year is the second year I've been able to attend, but it feels like the first real Horror Nights in some ways. A love letter to the "icons" era while still focusing on the new IP driven formula tha has proven so succesful, this year feels like nothing I've ever experienced. I'm on horror nights cloud nine. 

Houses

The Purge  (1 out of 5) 

The first house I went in was The Purge, and while I didn't hate it, I also  felt no real connection to it. I think the Purge movies have a fascinating concept that they don't explore well enough, and last years scare zone felt, to be, to be a better take on it than the movies. The housedoesn't fare as well. Lots of actors try their hardest and the scares do happen, but you can feel that this was put together last minute due to behid the scenes drama with Scream. Maybe it will improve over the run. I'm interested to see. 

Insidious (4 out of 5)

This house is insane. So throughly creepy and at times actually scary rather than just startling. I've not seen the third movie, so I can't comment on its inclusion in the house, but it gets the first two films right, and has one of the coolest effects I've ever seen in a house. I can see this being a perfect house by the end of October. I went through this twice on preview night. Both times were excellent. 

Run: Blood, Sweat, and Fears (3 out of 5)

A fun fun fun house that has a great concept and the actors going full tilt into it. It's not very scary (I'm not sure I even jumped once) but its got a lot of energy and fun set pieces at make it a house worth repeating. I hope it gets scarier, but for now i dig the feel of it. 

An American Werewolf in London (4 out of 5)

What a house. On preview night there weren't a lot of actor based scares that hit well, but the puppets were spectacular in every way, and holy hell are they BIG. I love the movie so seeing it come to life in this way was fascinating. On opening. Night, the actors were much more energetic and the puppets hit me every time. Good stuff and it will only get better. 

Jack Presents: 25 Years of Monsters and Maniacs (5 out of 5)

Oh my god. This is the house to best this year for sheer awesomeness. As a fan of HHN who missed out on a lot of stuff, seeing house ive heard of come to life again is a blast. The sets are fantastic, and some classic Horror Nights effects show up in ways that made me smile. It could use a little something at the end to spruce up the exit, but it's great. It's so so great. Did this both nights and the cast was on point both times. 

Body Collectors: Recollections (5 out of 5) 

I have wanted to experience a Body Collectors house since 2008, and here we are, with possibly the scariest haunt I've ever been in. The setting and basic story lead to an unease that really feels like we shouldnt be witnessing what is occurring in Shadybrook. The sets are incredible and it'd packed with good scares left and right. I cannot wait to walk through this one again. 

Asylum in Wonderland (3 out of 5) 

I've been in many 3D haunts (and worked in one for the first two years of being a scare actor) and they always leave guests disoriented, but scared isn't what most would call their feelings. Asylum is not a deviation from this. It's not scary, but it is fun. The costumes and sets a creative and are just neat to explore. Never got scared once, but I look forward to seeing this one grow with the season.

Freddy vs. Jason (3 out of 5)

Disappointe isn't the word I am looking for because I do like this house, but there was a lack of energy when I went through (I walked into the queue five minutes to close on preview night, so I understand why) but the sets were phenomenal. Like stepping into both franchises. This house is the one I am most excited to see firing on all cylinders. I imagine my rating will improve. Some real fun stuff in here for fans of the films, so when the scares get ramped up, I am sure it will be a classic. 

I didn't do Walking Dead on either night, and I can't lie, I'm it in any rush to see it. 

Edited by DarthSpielberg
  • Like 2

If you're a horror fan in Boston, how did you get into the Employee  Preview night? Did you move down  or something? 

Did you happen to get any pictures while you were there? (From any date that is, I ask because you went EP and Openin night, so if they had any differences.)

Also, how did you walk into the line 5 mins before close? Line close did you mean? 

Sorry if im coming off picky... 

Edited by Marco-S

You can walk into a line up until the minute the park closes and they'll let you through the line. Even if it's at a 45 minute wait. They do not close the lines earlier than the park unless an extreme circumstance occurs and they make that judgement call on the spot. All they have to do is know someone to get an EP ticket.

You can walk into a line up until the minute the park closes and they'll let you through the line. Even if it's at a 45 minute wait. They do not close the lines earlier than the park unless an extreme circumstance occurs and they make that judgement call on the spot. All they have to do is know someone to get an EP ticket.

Not in my experience. The past 2 years they have closed the lines on me somewhere between 15-30 mins before close. That's why I said that. 

I also know how to get in to EP night, I asked how he did if he was in Boston? As in,  when he flew down and what his connection was.

Not in my experience. The past 2 years they have closed the lines on me somewhere between 15-30 mins before close. That's why I said that. 

I also know how to get in to EP night, I asked how he did if he was in Boston? As in,  when he flew down and what his connection was.

Well in my experience I had the opportunity to get into Monsters and Mayhems line at about 12:56 we were passing it on the way out from Bill & Teds last show but I was tired and didn't want to wait an extra 45 minutes to go home. As for the rest? Uh? That's just a little nosy unless you know that member well. Meh.

As for the first question, I am from Boston but I live in Orlando. My roommate is a third party team member and she gave me her pass. As for the second, I don't know how it worked in the past but we booked it over and they let us in, no questions asked 

see you moved down, all I wanted to know, as simple as that. 

Well in my experience I had the opportunity to get into Monsters and Mayhems line at about 12:56 we were passing it on the way out from Bill & Teds last show but I was tired and didn't want to wait an extra 45 minutes to go home. As for the rest? Uh? That's just a little nosy unless you know that member well. Meh.

Nosy! I'm not asking for his social security, just wanted to know about his trip because I like hearing the stories of people flying down for the event. So I asked if he had moved down or something, and it turns out he has. Uh? Meh. 

SCAREZONES

i didn't spend a lot of  time in scare zones except for Psychoscareapy Unleashed but they were all fairly unique and entertaining in their own ways! 

ICONS 

This is so much better than Face Off last year. Yes it's the photo op zone, but the variety of characters roaming the streets will make HHN history buffs smile. The sets are amazing and I  only saw one kill (The Usher, both times I walked through) I can't wait  to see the rest. 

Evil's Roots

I walked thought this on preview night before the actors were out (most were still at the gate  doing opening scaremonies) and yet, the atmosphere was incredible. I went again on opening night with actors and its ethereal and mysterious and I love it to pieces. I just want to hang out in there and take it all in 

All Nite Die In: Double Feature

the biggest thing I can say about this zone is how crowded and cramped it was every time I walked through it, but both sets of actors are cool and got some good scares, even the classic ones. Lots of photo taking here, selfies with the monsters, but it's still very creepy. 

Psychoscareapy Unleashed 

this zone, like Purge last year is HUGE. It leads to some gaps in scares but man those who are scaring are having a ball doing it. I loved the set pieces, and some crazy things were overheard. Also the costumes here are down right fun. 

Scary Tales: ScreamPunk

Like Maskarade last year, this is a beautiful zone, with great costumes and characters. Little Bo Peep may be my favorite character in the streets this year based on the severally times I passed her waking through the zone to get other places. Not particularly scary, but imaginative and well crafted.

SHOWS

i only saw one show (I watched it both nights I was there though) and it was

The Carnage Returns

Jack is Back and it's a sight to behold. A sequel of sorts to the show from 2007, this takes the base concept of the Carnival of Carnage and ramps it up several notches. This is the better of the Jack shows, hands down. It's hilarious, brutal, and also really stunning to look at. A mixture of large scale illusions and acrobatics take this show to another level. I love this show and will be watching it every time I attend the event. 

Bill and Ted will have to wait until this weekend. I disliked last years so I'm not in any real rush to see it.