iLuvStabWounds' HHNH 2014 Review

iLuvStabWounds

American Werewolf in London

First maze of the night, and I'd have to say I was fairly impressed with it. Setting my own personal biases aside (I really don't find werewolves are scary... and AWiL is more of comedy than horror to me), there were a few scares that got me good.

PROS

1. The Hospital and Nazi-Werewolf Nightmare scenes were by far the best part of the maze! The actors were aggressive and really in your face; the details within the sets and decor were impeccable; finally, the costumes and make up were awesome.
  2. Most of the werewolf puppets were well hidden in certain areas of the maze, so they made me jump a couple of times when they were set off.
  3. The maze was a near perfect interpretation of the movie, it pretty felt like I was walking through the movie in chronological order.

CONS

1. The way some of the transitions in the maze were questionable and maybe even a little awkward. The way the rooms were designed during David's werewolf transformation was just weird.
  2. While a majority of the puppets in the maze were strategically placed, the ones that's movements were limited to neck and head movements (like the one in the beginning and end of the maze) seemed kind of silly.

Overall score: 90% or -A

Clowns 3D

From reading some of the other reviews in the this forum, I can see why this maze get most of the hate: the overused props and sets, the campiness, and the unnecessary 3D. I get it... it was a major letdown compared to some of more the superior original mazes from HHNH. But to say it was a the worst maze in HHN history seems to be a bit of stretch.

PROS

1. The scents were probably the best parts of the maze. The soundtrack was pretty good, it kinda reminds me of the Curse of Chucky soundtrack for some reason.
  2. The 3D wasn't all that bad, it was actually disorienting towards the beginning of the maze.
  3. Cutty the Female Clown was probably the best character in the maze.

CONS

1. The premise and concept of the maze had a lot of potential, unfortunately it failed to deliver in the actual maze. Think about it, a bunch demented clowns luring and then kidnapping unsuspecting families and tourists so that they can be turned into human ice cream pops. The thought itself is really messed up, and it could've been an equally dark and twisted maze. Instead, we got a generic kill clown maze. The scenes that took place inside the factory itself seemed to have absolutely nothing to do with ice cream or human popsicles, it was just a bunch of random electrocutions, dismemberments, and some human-clown-spider thing.
  2. Cutty the Clown the was best character in the maze for a good reason: her costume was legitimately scary and her scareactors were more aggressive than the other two clowns. The Sweet Lick and Bubba were kind of boring in both their design and presence in the maze.
  3. Here's a bunch of random questions that went through my mind as I was going through the maze: 1) Was the long empty hallways in the first half of the maze even necessary? 2) Didn't we just go through the Murder Ride in HoTC? 3)What's with Bubba and the random cat noises? 3) Okay, we went through a freezer... But what's up with the vats of toxic chemicals? Why is there a the puking room? Why is there a torture chamber? What does all that stuff have to do with an ice cream factory?

Overall score: 70% or C- (I'm being really nice about this)

AVP: Alien Versus Predator

This was probably the best maze of the night! Even though I am not a fan of the AVP franchise movie, I was impressed by how the maze is scarier than the actual movie. The special effects were impeccable and everything about it was nothing short of amazing!

PROS

1. The set was gorgeous! There's nothing more to say.
  2. The last half of the maze that was set in the suburban was a nice nod to AVP: Requiem, and I liked how they improved on it with the additional scenes.
  3. The Alien Queen...

CONS

1. I personally felt like interactions from the stars of the attraction (Aliens and Predators) were limited. More often than not, the Aliens and Predators were behind a some kind of physical barrier like a wall or fence. Most of the "in your face" scareactors were facehugger victims. This could've happened because most of the to Aliens were puppets, but what about the Predators?

Overall Score: 98% or A+

Walking Dead: End of the Line

PROS

1. .

CONS

1. .

Overall Score:

From Dusk til Dawn

PROS

CONS

Overall Score

Terror Tram: Invaded by the Walking Dead (yet again)

PROS

CONS

Overall score:

Dracula Untold: Reign of Blood

PROS

CONS

Overall score:

Face Off: In the Flesh

PROS

CONS

Overall Score:

TO BE CONTINUED....