Doctor Jeffula's HHN2014 Night Review

Doctor Jeffula

It is 4am as i am writing this review. Ill try to keep everything as brief as possible and not spoil much for you guys, trying to catch up on the UFC fights i missed. I am grading scare zones and mazes with an A-F rating

We arrived at Universal really early again and ate camacho nachos, got our shirts (i got the American Werewolf in London shirt and my girlfriend got a walking dead shirt) and hung out till the security set up. I can proudly say i was the first person at early entry to get checked in, i know its a big woopdy woop for everyone but it was awesome to me!!!!!

As you may have seen in the forums this is the first year since 2009 i did G.A. and the first time i did early entry which was a circus in it of itself but it DID help out a lot and we were able to repeat 3 mazes.

SKULLS (Scarezone)

Ill keep it brief, this is on the lower lot and this has been known as the stilt walker scare zone. There are more Stilt Walkers but they are not scary at all/

GRADE F

Yes you do have to walk to the backlot as you may know the walk isn't too long but its a boring stretch, can't do much about it eh whatevs

WALKING DEAD (Scarezone)

This is pretty much the same scare zone as last year but when we went through it was daylight so i thought it wouldn't be as cool as going through during dark. Still a pretty cool scare zone

GRADE B

Walking Dead: End of the Line

Went on this maze twice while on the backlot because this was my gf's favorite maze. The good news is that i enjoyed it WWWWAYYYYY more than last years. The first time i went on this maze it seemed rushed but the second time it was more fun. Hey its the same ol same ol walking dead schtick. This one wasn't as good as the 2012 maze which i think was amazing but it wasn't a boring line jam as it was last year. Got very little scares in here. It wasn't Bad but wasn't anything memorable. It looked a little uninspired design wise.

First time going through was a walk on and the second time going through was under 5 mins

GRADE C

AVP: Alien Vs. Predator

This maze LOOKED really cool and they put a lot of effort in the maze design and the Predators were awesome but the Alien puppets seemed kind of silly and the queen alien was the silliest of them all. a few good scares. We didn't repeat this maze. I kinda wish we did so i can get a 2nd look on it but the wait time jumped up a little too much and passed on it. A lot of hype about this maze but honestly its not anything amazing. Probably one of the better set designs HHN has done though.

GRADE B

From Dusk Till Dawn

WOW, Didn't expect to like this maze so much. This was a repeat maze as well (first wait a couple minutes second was about 15) and told the secret password to the doorman and got small prize. The Gecko Bros and Doormen were highly entertaining. Now let me tell you, the cast in this maze was ON FIRE!!!! Several scares on both walkthroughs and they seem like they come out of nowhere!!! It seems like a short maze but packs a BIG punch. Maze design and scareactor design were excellent. LOVED this maze.

GRADE A

An American Werewolf In London

This was the maze i was looking forward to the most and we also repeated this maze (1st walkthrough was over an hour wait the 2nd was the last maze we did at almost closing and it was a half hour wait). Just like FDTD there were multiple scares throughout the maze. Almost every scene i got a good scare. The nazi werewolf scene was fun and the werewolf puppets are EPIC. The First walkthrough was really good but the second time they tucked away two werewolves and the scare actors looked like they wanted to go home. The representation to the movie was great and along with FDTD it was one of the best of the night. Comparing the maze to Orlandos there were slight differences but i think Hollywood did it better! Don't miss this one!

GRADE A

We were a bit on the cranky side after being in line for AWIL....alot of annoying kids and CLOWNS had a 70 minute wait so we decided to (god knows why we did this) go to the upper lot to knock out everything there.

Dracula Untold: Reign in Blood

Wow....umm....This maze started off pretty good and got various scares but that was only at the first couple scenes. Then it seemed like it got a big "(sigh) F*** it lets just go with it (sips whiskey from flask)" feeling to it. Didn't seem to get much love and it wasnt a HHN quality type maze IMO. The scare actors did put a good effort though.

GRADE D

Face Off: In The Flesh

This is what i thought it was gonna be. Universal Monsters Remix with no Universal Monsters. Exact same thing. They did very minor touch ups to the design of house of horrors but nothing crazy. No scares in this one. I think Orlando got the better part for this in having it as a scare zone rather than a maze then you can really appreciate the design of the monsters. In this maze you really couldnt

GRADE D

We were in line for despicable me for about half a minute and it was a buzzkill so we got out of there fast lol.

DARK CHRISTMAS (Scarezone)

I've never really enjoyed the scare zones throughout the years but this one was really fun. Very good concept for a scare zone and don't be surprised if this gets the original maze treatment next year. Everything was awesome about the scare zone but one thing.....did they really take a AWIL Werewolf and put horns on it?

GRADE A

Terror Tram Invaded By The Walking Dead

We did the terror tram and told ourselves we should of just skipped it. Seemed to have a lot more walkers this year though. Lets just face it, the terror tram will always be the same and not much can be done about it, for what they got though they do an ok job, No scares on this though, honestly if you been on it before, especially the past two years do yourself a favor and skip it and repeat some other mazes.

GRADE F

Sadly we forgot to visit masquerade i hope i didn't miss much.

Clowns 3D

This maze was ok but i think if it was done a few years ago i would of liked it more. There were some great scenes and the concept is good its just that these 3D mazes usually lack in the scare department and its redundant. It had some awesome scents that made me hungry and the freezer room was done very well. Other than that it was a lot of the same stuff we see during a 3D maze.

By the way did anyone see the naked frozen girl from saw? i was expecting it and didn't see it

GRADE C

Overall Thoughts on HHN2014

This event was WAY more fun than last year BUT i don't think its the best year we have had. What brings this event down is that there are two skippable attractions (Terror Tram, HOH) and two other attractions that have been played out in some way (Walking Dead and Clowns). As far as not having a show this year, oh well, sorry but i don't miss Bill and Ted.

HHN 2014 Grade: B

Edited by Doctor Jeffula