Doctor Jeffula's HHN Hollywood 2013 Review

Doctor Jeffula

9/21/2013

Much anticipation for this years HHN. I did not attend opening night (9/20) this year but the day after. I had high expectations for this year and there were some good and some disappointments and i will cover everything with all honesty, try not to spoil it too much and in the order i did it in.

We did not do the early access to the backlot this year (but i wish we did) instead we stuck around for opening scaremonies and it was brought to us by The Purge instead of clowns this year. Opening Scaremonies are about the same as every year nothing bad nor good to say about it. The Purge scarezone is pretty much how Klownz has been they all run around with chainsaws....Not really scary.

El Cucuy: The Boogieman

First maze of the night!!!! El Cucuy is filling the "Hispanic Folktale" boots left by La Llarona which was a part of HHN for 3 years (once as a terrible scarezone on the terror tram, twice as one of the most AMAZING maze). The maze started off rather strange because you start out in a movie theatre (sign that we may get American Warewolf in London for next year?) and go through numorous scenes and ending up in El Cucuy's lair. I did get a few scares in here (best one was not from a scareactor). Although i rushed through it a bit i felt that this maze did not belong at HHN (it seemed like it would be a great maze for knotts). There was a hallway that was completely black which i disliked and some scenes that gave me some "umm ok???" moments but overall it wasnt terrible not was it amazing.

Grade: C (Best part of the maze is El Cucuy.....he looked really scary!

After the maze we went thru the Curse of Chucky scarezone. Now i liked this scarezone!!! It was pretty cool....unfortunately i missed the Insult Imporium which i heard was going on and i DID NOT go through the Cirgue de Klownz scarezone

While we couldnt go on Universal Monsters Remix after El Cucuy because it didnt open till 7:30 and it was too light out for the terror tram we decided to ride the simpsons ride................and i still miss back to the future.

Universal Monsters Remix

Ok i must admit...............i loved this maze last year and dubstep is a guilty pleasure of mine. But if you did UMR last year or even been in House of Horrors nothing really changed, except for the music....the music was brought to you by Figure and some different monsters but thats about it. I have more fun in this maze more than getting scared although i did get a couple good scares in.

Grade: C

Bill and Teds Excellent Halloween Adventure (RANT ALERT)

Ok seriously enough of this show......i dont even know why we watch it. Ok last year i remember it being decent and i remember 2010 being ok but seriously Bill and Ted has ran its course. I wanted to leave in the middle of the show (yeah it was that bad). They themed this after Wizard of Oz and they have to destroy the witches......Taylor Swift, Django, Superman, and even Kevin Hart (wtf?!?!?!) were parodied. Im tired of the stupid songs....the dancing......the jokes that are in bad taste...... Hey Universal....how about doing an actual halloween show....remember Beetlejuice?......Rocky Horror?......Creature From The Black Lagoon? (yeah i went there)....Shoot i remember seeing a CONAN show when i was little and it would be more fitting than this garbage.

respect to the actors/actresses i know they work really hard.

Grade: F

Terror Tram: Invaded By The Walking Dead

The good ol terror tram!!!! Hey if you never been on the terror tram before you will like it......if you been on it before its the same ol' song. It was pretty much a repeat of last year but i noticed the "zombie pit" hich was cool and it was loaded with zombies. Cant really say much more about this!

Grade: C

At this point nothing has really impressed me so far it just seemed like a repeat of previous years. After the tram was done i told my girlfriend "ok now lets go downstairs and start HHN"

We get down to the lower lot and the scarezone there was Scarecrowz. The scarecrowz were two stilt walkers....they looked really cool but it wasnt scary at all....but it was better than silent hill last year!

Evil Dead: Book of the Dead

This was one of the mazes i looked forward to because i love the Evil Dead franchise and yes i enjoyed the remake the maze was based on. Now i thought the facade could of been better (i think it was the same as silent hill minus the silent hill sign) but when you step in the maze you immediately go thru woods which was cool and towards the cabin where all the brutal stuff happens. Visually this maze was AMAZING they played out scenes from the movie very well. Very Vioilent!!!!! Unfortunately i did not get a scare in this maze, all the scareactors decided to scare other people but the maze did the movie justice and there were some cool mechanical props and the cabin was very detailed. The final scene was very awesome, loved this maze

Grade: B (if i got a good scare or two i would of given it an A but it lacked in the scare department everything else was awesome) Favorite Maze of the Event (but not by much)

When we exited Evil Dead we decided to get on the tram to enter the Walking Dead Backlot Experience. It was a long walk to the tram but the tram ride wasnt too long. When we got dropped off we had to go through the scarezone which was VERY AWESOME! alot of scares went on here and i was very impressed. The backlot area is actually not as big as i thought it would be but it had a snack cart and restrooms and its just awesome being in the backlot.

Black Sabbath 13 3D

Ok i know i probably said im really sick of 3D mazes and they should get rid of them but this maze i actually enjoyed alot! The facade was a little underwhelming but once inside you see the cathedral and figure in black and i was impressed. When walking through it seems to be a repeat of alice cooper but i got some scares throughout the maze and loved the charactors and the further along you go through the maze the less repeat of alice cooper it becomes. I liked the war pigs and nuclear scenes the most. Best scare of the night was the nuclear rock demon (?) Jumping out at me when i thought it was part of the wall. I really think this maze could be alot better without the neon colors and 3D, but with it, it wasnt too bad and it was leaps and bounds better than ACGTH.

Grade: B

Walking Dead: No Safe Haven

Ok im gonna be a little harsh here......this maze was the biggest disappointment of the night....and with Walking Dead being an epic maze last year, it ended up being an epic fail this year. As the heavy promoted ip....it was a heavy dump The best part of this maze was the facade which i thought was better than last years and i thought the design of the cell block and the helicoptor scene was cool but the maze experience was a wreck. Absolutely no scares what so ever.......i honestly dont remember seeing many scareactors in the maze...i think they were all out on the terror tram and scarezone (which both were better than the maze) or maybe on break.

The biggest annoyance was the delays while in the maze. The line kept jamming up and we were in the cell block scene for way too long...i even got jammed at the scene where there is the mechanical horde scare/prop and watched it go off about 3 times. At that point i just wanted to hurry up and get out. NEVER had that happened to me inside a maze before

Theres not much else to say besides wow what a let down

Grade: D (i know im gonna get alot of hate but atleast the design was nice)

So by this time we get back on the tram to go back to lower lot and my girlfriend and i were talking about how disappointed we are in the walking dead. We then go on Jurassic Park because thats her favorite ride and we get soaked.

Insidious: Into The Further

This was another maze we anticipated, we loved the movies and got excited for the maze. The facade was really cool and the house was very detailed. This was the creepiest maze of the night, loved the darkness to it. It seemed to be based more on the first movie than the 2nd but the scenes were played out well, unfortunately i did not see tucker and specks (?) in front of the maze and the "lady and black" didnt appear as much as i wanted her to, mostly the darth maul demon.

Grade B

After this maze we headed to the shop in the front to get our official shirts. i was dissappointed with the HHN Shirt they released this year but i got the Evil Dead shirt and my girlfriend got the "Infected" walking dead shirt.

Thoughts on HHN 2013 as a whole

On Paper, HHN 2013 seemed to have an amazing lineup but i had more disappointments this year than any other year i have attended and i have attended since 2009. Although Evil Dead was my favorite maze and Insidious was a close second they both did not have that grade A factor to it like Walking Dead and Texas Chainsaw had on me last year.

Really nice review bro :)

I agree with you on walking dead. I thought it was gonna be awesome and even better this year but it just turned out to be much worse :(

The only maze that truly satisfied me was insidious and maybe evil dead the rest need a ton of work to be up to par

Good review, but i have to ask, what made you do everything in the order you did them? That is the complete opposite of what most HHN fans I know of doing to avoid lines haha. But Sat wasn't that crowded so maybe it wasn't that bad for you.

Honestly, his longest wait was probably a 50 minute Walking Dead. Not unless he went while it was 80 minutes, but it dropped down to 50 for the rest of the night and 15 at 1 am.