NK's HHN 2013 Orlando Review (Some Spoilers

Nintendokid33

The time for Halloween Horror Nights has finally begun and HHN came back with a blast! Following last years event, which fell short due to extensive wait times, bad marketing choices, overwhelming construction and budget cuts, and the idea of just slapping the name "The Walking Dead" onto everything, I really didn't have high hopes for this years event. But following the reveal of 2 IP's I have wanted to see for a while, my hype grew! I hit the opening night and here is a house review! Spoilers may come out and opinion may change following more nights.

Houses

1. An American Werewolf in London: Seeing this was one of the first horror movies I ever saw, this film has held a special place in my heart for 7 years. Now, Universal has finally brought it to life, and I may regret saying this is the long future. Best HHN house is my 5 years of going! Some of the great highlights included the attack on the moors, the transformation scene, and anything with the Werewolf. As said in many reviews, and I completely agree, the wolf puppets. The cast did great, the setting was perfect, and the ending was a great finale for a soundstage. This house is amazing

2. Cabin in the Woods: The Less said with this house, the better. Such a realistic house that made me feel like I was in the movie. Some scenes we're actually scary, manly in the cabin itself, but the purge. Man o man, this was crazy fun and gory! Loved seeing the house and all the many creatures, also look for some past HHN characters near the end!

3. Evil Dead: I loved the remake, and this house rocked. It was gory fun, scary at moments, and had a good voice over through the house. Not much more to say, just be ready to be shocked.

4. Resident Evil: Yah I know people are rating lower on there list, but like AWIL, this had a special place in my heart. As a huge fan of the series, manly the games, this how's made my dreams come true. Yes I could say the lickers were a bit odd, nemesis only coming out once, and the hunters were odd, but the feeling of the house was all there. And I got add-least a good scare from the machine gun fire. I think this how will grow over the events run.

5. Havoc Derailed: As a big fan of the first house, I really liked this one. The beginning was slow, but it enjoyed the ending when the train crashes. Lots of gun fire and light flashes. What made this house lower was how long we waited. This was not worth almost 2 hours to get in, but that may just be the disaster que. Worked good setting wise, and loved the pumping power from the que video.

6. La Llorona: Got to get into this one early as part of AP night. It was a ok house. Scare wise it was good and setting wise. I think it's just the approach they took that felt off. I would have maybe seen this as a SS house. But it was a great setting and the sounds used made this house a good one. Hope to see it grow some more and I will probably take it on more times. But like I said, the sounds really sold me in this one.

7. Afterlife: O boy. This house was a mess, but no terrible. 3D sucked for me and really, it was too dark. The story was also a big mess. Also lots of old costumes from The Inbetween and seemed like some stuff from Penn and Teller. But I would hit it one more time.

8. Walking Dead: At the moment, due to 70 minute wait times . So I will add a review later on.

Scarezones

Really rather than review each of these TWD areas. I should just say they were all great in there own right. The walkers really blend in great with the crowd and the "survivors" interaction is crazy to see. So many great street props such as the tank and the barn! I felt like TWD invaded Orlando, and it was done right. Really fun and crazy, but one problem struck this experience.

The Big Event Issue: This year, I noticed on major flaw. It was not the amount of IPs, or lines, or anything like that. It was lack of TV show survivors. No Rick, Carl, Glen, Governor, or even Daryl. Not counting his crossbow. I really wish universal could use them. And I feel like if universal using TWD more, feature human characters more.

Overall this was a fantastic year, so far. Since I have a FF pass, I will experience this event a lot more and excited to see how houses evolve and grow along with the streets. This year was great. 9/10