The Grindhouse Reports 2011

Grindhousehero13

Pt , I

Traffic-IDK what was going on but the 101 was jammed up the butt so we ended up getting there at 7:30 and we had to wait for he rest of our group who didnt get there til 8:20 well it gave us time to shop and watch the go-gos and hit HOTC wont post that cuz nothing realy new Ill give it 9/10 still an awsome maze

Hostel: Hunting Season

Only two Mazes scared the living S***T out of me this would be one of them, The Slovakian girls were awsome too bad we didnt make it in time for the cards :(, so one of the HHN Virgins of group tryed to be the tuff and charged in.....then he ran rght back to after the first girl scared him, druing half the maze I thought my date was holding my arm turns out it was my other dude friend This was funny cuz I told one of the clients dude its not what it looks like and he came back with "Dude I dont judge I just kill em" classic! I just kept having to duck in this maze and the room with the body pile me and my friend swore the top one was the actor but it turns out the fakest looking one was the real one great scare, I think I saw steven, so if you heard someone with green hair and a red stripe jacket go "Steven?" that was me, the dogs at the end were a realy nice touch.

Award: Scariest Maze

Cons: Boiler room was the only part that reminded me of SAW

Scare-Actor Rate: A+

Enviroment Rate: B-

Scares: A+

Over All: 10/10

Alice Cooper: Welcome To My Nightmare

Well Although I liked this maze Im kinda iffy I only got scared once, but this maze was cool as hell, the SA seemed to be in a shift change, Loved the music playing through kinda set the mood more then I thought it would, I dug the maze and it was my date's favorite maze so I'll give it props just didnt see it on par with the rest as far as scary, in the "School's Out" scene we were at a stall and the headmaster poped out and realy scared me to high hell that I did enjoy, also on location I say this is one of the best. I have to say Im an Alice Cooper Fan now though btw alot of the Alice make-up seemed to be missing IDK if it was cuz of the cast change but it seemed like that also gotta give props to the burn doctor and the Nurse <3 the doc did a realy good job of seeming fake then jumped (litteraly!) out of the chair and into my friend's face so kudos to them.

Award: Coolest Maze

Cons: No explanation to the story

Scare-Actor Rate: due to Cast Change dont wanna rate cuz I dont realy know

Enviroment: B+

Scares: B+

Pver All: 8/10

Ill post the rest tomorrow here just a little taste to tide you guys over

Dammit! Why do I gotta be the only one who didn't get to go through Hostel at a good time out of the two times I went through it?!

You should check a video online of the Alice Cooper maze - - it might really be just what the maze was. The entire first half is kinda just void of heavy scares if you miss the one in the Steven room. Kinda the same situation if you miss the locker room scare in Hostel.

But that's why I loved La Llorona and The Thing all that much more - - scares on a consistent basis from beginning to end (at least, that's what I experienced).

But now that I think about it... pretty much all the mazes have this formula, it just depends if they up the ante of "section 3" (which is probably where AC or Hostel lacked and why I think they didn't do as well as the other 2 new mazes)

Section 1: Opening scene, no scare, just sets the tone [WTMN: Steven's house; La Llorona: Pre-church and outside scene; Hostel: monitor room; The Thing: a few hallways and ice room]

Section 2: End of opening, first big scare [WTMN: "Steven" room; La Llorona: end of the church; Hostel: locker room; The Thing: random creature from above in ice room]

Section 3: From still-to-life, random corner or from up high hole scares [WTMN: Up high in body room ghoulies and the toys; La Llorona: still to life statues; Hostel: still to life "scenes; The Thing: random creatures in corners]

Section 4: The big scares [WTMN: executioner sequence and on; La Llorona; graveyard sequence and on; Hostel: bathory sequence and on; The Thing: can't remember the actual point!]

Section 5: The body hanging room [WTMN: TWO of them actually - - one in the beginning and one in the end for the black widow; La Llorona; pigs; Hostel: usual bodies; The Thing: the exception!]

Section 6: The finale (all the new mazes this year had puppetry for this part) [WTMN: snake and spider; La Llorona: through the window; Hostel: random dogs; The Thing: those... things]

Section 7: The final-final scare [all had someone hiding in the last room and/or someone outside]

To some degree, Wolfman and HOTC fit this formula too.

But yeah, "section 3" is a crucial one! Just as big as "section 4" in some ways. Because if you miss that opening scare and/or if you tail end some of section 4, the maze could be a giant miss so section 3 is the area where it really needs to step up in order to be a full out great maze!

Edited by DTH316

ok ladys and gents

Pt. II

Reapers

first I wanna start by asking people who went opening weekend or the second I remember seeing videos the reapers were just skulls, but did they add Hair and facial hair to them (Mohawks, Cholo mustaches, Devil horn hair ect.) or have they always been like that? either way they looked badass. well when we first enter the lower lot not too much from them, got no reaction from any of them just watched them scare other people, but when we were exiting Alice Cooper we stoped in the ally way so some of us can use the restroom and some light could up a ciggerette while we sat there it was a cast change some reapers walked into the backlot and different ones walked back to the lower lot now this was the reaper's finister hour. first off out of NO where and this has to be the coolest thing I have ever seen this one reaper and no lie slid his chainsaw on the floor and did a HANDSTAND on his chainsaw while it was sliding. One Reaper actualy went into the Mens restroom I was checking my phone then my friends start to laugh and I hear a chainsaw rev up inside the bathroom and a bunch of guys run out of the bathroom and the reaper walks out and pretends to zip his pants never laughed so hard but this bring me to my new HHN theory "Dooshbags gonna Doosh" and this is why I gotta respect the SA, one of the Reapers was walking by scareing people and one not and of corse this Jersey Shore wannabe with his girlfriend got scared by him and then the dude started just saying the stupidest things then had the nerve to ask for a picture him and his friend who we named baby paulie D put their arms around him and get ready to take the picture then last moment the reaper slips out and does his "U Mad?" pose and walks away the D-bag then commences to yell and call him "Gay" well thas the disney version of what he calld him but everybody was laughing at his dumb ass so karma got him and realy people "Dont F**** with The Scareactors". Now the only thing once again like Pigz (But since Pigz was themed to SAW then it was forgivable) lack of props and enviromentand what would of helped too would be a stilt walked since they were Death's minions Death could of been on his stilts or at least a throne in the center or something.

Award: Most Badass Scare Actors

Cons: lack of enviroment and props

Scare-actor Rate: A+

Enviroment: F

Scares: C+

Overall: 7/10

Jurassic Park in the Dark

Not too much to say but I will say this what I love about HHN is that you can bond with people you dont even know which makes it seem like one huge group, every one on our boat were cool the laughed shared there made JP more fun then usual even ended with the whole boat doing the mighty ducks chant right as the ride ended, that being said I still realy think JP desserves an overlay.

Terror Tram: Scream 4 Your Life

Now due to videos and reviews I wasnt expecting much from this but all I gotta say is Murdy must realy listen to us cuz they uped TT like 100, first off they added tons more ghostfaces I know thats not enough to redeem itself but where they were added was the key here. ghost face was always in the beggaining and end of each fake movie and stalk areas where there were no characters, thesome ghost faces would pretend to be the ushers, they where given flashlights and they would do what the ushers would do and point you in the right direction but kept there his dwon until he would scare someone, so ghostface's pressence was realy felt and to be honest this realy blows last year's chucky out of the water I might even say 2nd best Terror Tram in my book, the energy was high from every area, no traffic jams, no dead spots,great scares! Great teamwork from the actors just everything was to honest perfected and I have to say it became the underdog of the year started off weak and ended with a boom. I need to bring up again what makes HHN better is bonding with the people the guys behind us were funny as hell as a group we kept getting attack by "HERDS" of bushpeople in Meatstock they were coming out of the woodwork here and scaring the crap out of everyone. the first Face rip off girl was the best though The Cannibal hippie that riped her face off was chasing somone around in circles so she (let me warn you this next part is rated R) *she sat over where the water squirted out so it was right between her legs she sat there giggleing and when our group got there she said "Hey cutie with green hair guess what Im a squirter" and I was just like "yeah that hot" then she goes "this ones for you" I was kinda confused then she opened her legs and just squirted everybody while she laughed non stoped she didnt stop aquirting till we left the area this was soooo f'en funny. then the last hippie by nromans house who had a british accent was all over the place scarred some girl then tells her boyfriend "Awsome high five me for that" then walks up to my friend (who was wearing a star wars shirt with the Rebal Allience logo on it) and just goes "well look what we got here we have a rebal on our hands boys" then salutes him tells him to keep on with the good work this was pretty epic. then on to Zombiez on a plane again I love them placing Ghostface during the transition realy gave the feeling the he was pulling the strings here and the best part was at that fence between Norman's house and WOTW a Terror Ape was hiding on the fence and poped out at the guy behind right as he called his friend a P**SY for getting scared with Nroman then he got so scared he tryed to kick the Terror Ape and he fell back on his ass this was too funny but anyways the zombies here were great alot of enegy and realy into it that night. one thing I like that did was add bush people to when they drop you off back at the park and this is where we felt so bad there was this couple in front of us and a bush person tries uses her can to scare the girl and the girl accedently kicks the can from it's hand then acted the beatch and kicked it further on purpose further away, so my friend runs to pick it up since the girl acted like a beatch an just kept walking away, he handed it it to the bush person and this kinda surprised us cuz I know me at least since what we USUALY call them *Bushmen* always thought them to be these big scary sounding men but litteraly all you hear is the cutest and sweetest girl voice say "awwwww thank you" I just felt so bad for her and gave me a reason to hate the girl who kicked the bush girl's can. well back to what not and everything, although the whole Ghostface ending up to be our tour guide "(like I predicted) and I know alot of you guys didnt like the mummy tunnle honestly I think without it or some sort of finaly it just ends leaving you wanting something more.

Award: Best Attraction of the night.

Cons: The removal of the ending & the same sets since 08.

Scare-Actors: A++ yeah two pluses

Enivroment: A- although they are the same year after year its still the back lot after all.

Scares: A

Overall: 10/10

The Thing: Assimulation

we headed straight to the thing which was the only long line of the night and was just 30 minutes we hit everything perfect to be honest, but I have to say this was my favorite maze as a fan of the original movie but one thing I gotta say (no pun intended) I didnt get to do F13 last year so I totaly forgot about this and returned to my least favorite tradition triping over the switchbacks while waiting to go in the Wild west venue maze -___-. but anywho the maze was awsome the pupets were amazing and I love how faithfull to the movie it was the only problem was another case of "Dooshbags gonna Doosh" the guys in front of us just kept banging on the walls and the windows that the frozne guys were behind so much to the point that my friend had to grab his arm from hitting the puppets just how people disrespect things baffles me. well I love how creepy and disturbing this maze was you realy felt like something was not right here and what freaked me out was the room with the little things crawling all over the place one of the puppets poped out so close to my face and got me realy good the autopsy room felt realy disturbing, The Truck I thought was realy gonna hit us haha, and the last guy with axe outside the maze was awsome swung the axe over my head and followed me to the street saying "come on just a little off the top just to make sure your not one of them!".

Award: my favorite maze and Creepiest Maze

Cons: Swtichback hell

Scare-Actors: A+

Enviroment: A+

Scares:A+

After the thing we headed over to Bill and Ted got us some bomb Mushroom and pepperonie Pizza, Brownie cookie, and our HHN cup from louie's and sat and in line for the show and just chilled,

Bill and Ted 2011

I loved the show this year I gotta say but to be honest I wasnt too happy with the music selection it was hit and miss with me although I more of a hard rock, punk and screamo fan I do enjoy pop music as most people do and if you dont your lieing lol but the whole opening harry potter school kids dance sequence with Kesh's Blow was awsome but then the ending dance for no reason part which is usualy the best part started off strong then ended kinda weak the Jeniffer Lopez, Nicki Manaj, Bruno mars, Brittney Spears, and Chris part made sense and were great but Adele didnt real seem like a dancing kind of song and the Rhihanna song just wasnt strong enough to end with I honestly would of used the LMAFO song to replace Rolling in the deep instead of just randomly playing it after Rebbecca Black dies and would of used My Chemical Romance's SING as the finaly I mean come on there should be at least one rock song since it is Bill and Ted, so although I think it was one of the funniest years i think last year's has to be the best one.

over all 8/10

Freakz

awww freakz honestly wasnt feeling it anymore its gotten stale to me its like its just there and they SA didnt seem to realy be into it this year so realy I hope it retires finaly

Awrad: N/A

Cons: nothing new just there taking up space

Scare-Actors: D+

Enviroment: B

Scares: C

overall: 4/10

Zombieville

both times I went threw it was kinda understaffed ll I saw was the tall Butcher and an old man in a rob but I gotta give them props they realy picked up the slack and did there best and scared the crap out of people, one of the only bad things is it reminded me WAY too much of Shuan of the dead from 09 just without Ed or Shuan or the winchester.

Award: most enthusiastic Scare-actors

Cons: Understaffed, and way too SOTD like.

Enviroment: A

Scares: A-

Overall:7/10

Klowns

Honestly always awsome! and I know Im gonna get shot but the only thing I wouldnt mind one more time around nest year, Klownz are always the top of there game, The Ringmaster is always funny, and the energy is just great.

Award: Repeatabilty

Cons: non

Enviroments: A

Scares: B+

Overall: 9/10

La Llorrona

First off this is just a beutifull maze the attention to detail was perfect, the cries of La Llorrona and her children being heard in line realy set the mood, as well as the old mexican (lady or man), telling the story was great, first off all the La Llorrona's were on there game great scares from them they were fast, and fierce and not gonna lie kinda attractive lol hope Im not alone on this, the living statue effect was just great the way the faces glowed green right before they attacked you was just awsome, the bridge scene was awsome felt like a real river and the pepper ghost effect was a great distraction, in the tombes a smell cannon shot me right in the face so the rest of the night all I smelled was dirt, the stilt walkers were amazing, and loved the final scare with Death and La Llorrona. What I love about this venue is the secret final scare were its not in the maze so you think your safe then you walk past the stage for shrek and out of the curtains one more scare comes, espeacialy this time cuz she scared the girls in front of us and they litteraly ran into the wall, classic then the last La Llorrona they added thats hiding in klownz scarred my friend realy good this was just amazing all around and as we were walking out all the chainsaw guys marched out from behind the maze for the chainsaw chase out so we knew we were the last ones in La Llorrona with only a ten minute wait we hit this perfectly.

Award: Most Visualy Stunning

Cons: non

Enviroments: A+

The Wolfman: Curse Of Talbot Hall

With it being two minutes to two and the Chainsaw chase out about to start we noticed Wolfman was still open with no wait so we headed in, first off I have to say this they also fine tuned into perfection, all the actors were in beast mode even with it being seconds away from closing for some reason they all went after me, Anthony Hopkins voice made the maze that much better, they seemed to put ,more effort into hiding HOH as much as they could even in the chucky room and it felt more like we were walking in Talbot hall, they added less ferral children and spaced out the Lawrence wolfmen and even added other wolfmen, the best part to be honest is the forrest (Wolfmans actual part in HOH) they used the strobe effect when Lawrence would pop out and when he did he booked it to the group in front of us passing but I swear when I looked to my left thanks to the strobe it realy looked like he was running at unhuman speed it was badass to say the least although I think Vampyre was the best HOH incarnation I would say this is the second best and realy made use of being stuck in HOH. BTW this is the other Maze that scared the S**T out of me

Award: Best Cast

Cons: House Of Horror like always

Enviroments: B they realy tried to work with what they got this year

Overall: 8/10

so I will finish my review with my final thoughts in a bit still kinda out of it so here you go.

Everything got a positive review from you so this must've been a GREAT year for you! I'm really surprised how much you loved the Terror Tram but damn, I wish I had an experience like that. I also love the Ghostface as a blackout fake out, it scared me good when going up the dark hill as I wasn't expecting that at all (wasn't there the first weekend). Since you loved the Terror Tram so much, I really wish you could've seen it with the mini maze in front of the Bates Motel as I'm sure that would've made you love it all the more. What did your date think of it all?

Everything got a positive review from you so this must've been a GREAT year for you! I'm really surprised how much you loved the Terror Tram but damn, I wish I had an experience like that. I also love the Ghostface as a blackout fake out, it scared me good when going up the dark hill as I wasn't expecting that at all (wasn't there the first weekend). Since you loved the Terror Tram so much, I really wish you could've seen it with the mini maze in front of the Bates Motel as I'm sure that would've made you love it all the more. What did your date think of it all?

after chucky's Terror Tram last year (I hated it with a passion) idk it seemed like Murdy was tweaking everything to the last minute cuz I watched tons of videos of the Terror Tram and it matched up with al your guy's reviews it seemed lack luster and just chuckyall over again but it seemed like A.) they tried there best to redeem themselfs and B.) I guess since it was Halloween Weekend all the scareactors put their heart and soul into there characters and it was a great crowd despite the few d-bags here and there I know Im only going on the many youtube videos but trust they did alot to approve the TT and alot to proove that Ghostface is the guy pulling the strings here, I felt like they realy did looked into the fan sites and did there best to give the fans what they wanted although I seee your point still about it avoiding the plot from scream, but I kinda seen what they were going for they focused more on Ghostface as an entity, his persona since unlike Chucky, Freddy, Jigsaw, Micheal Myers, Jason, or Harry Warden, her is never the same person and in the relm of Scream he techincaly does not exist, he's a fictional character, it seemed like it was based off of the ghostface from STAB, not the Ghostface from Scream since techincaly there is no ghostface in Scream, in a way hes like santa clause he does not exist but people are out there pretending to be him, they focused more on Ghostface as character to me was awsome and a great to get around the fact that they only got the right for 4, plus kinda fix the problem that Scream realy has no enviroment, thats how I see it. Yeah it was my dates first time at HHN cuz although she loves horror movies shes kinda chicken, if it wasnt for Bill and Ted, Scream, and Alice cooper I dont think I could of convinced her to go, but shes now an HHN fan although I found out shes realy afraid of anything that has to do with Hostel my arm still hurts and has her hand imprint from her squezzing it all threw hostel and the thing.

now for my final thoughts

IMO this ranks up to my 2nd favorite year, only behind 08, it still it flaws though, this does not match 09 or even 10 in Scarezones it was alot of just repeated material except Reapers, the lack of the Western SZ kinda left a big gap between SZ good thing when the Terror Tram closed all Ghostface and a few Bush people moved to the Animal Actors area and the lack of sliders left the area in front of shrek empty next year I would like to see a SZ go back to the Animal Actors area and to see the new york SZ stretch to the old Western street area, althoug alot of mazes were awsome if one maze "HAD" to return I hope its La Llorrona, Alice Cooper wasnt realy scary IMO, The Thing was one of the best but repeating it would kill its novelty, same goes for Hostel, this is the right amount of mazes at least for the time being. it would be cool to see klowns come back next year but with some fresh concept like new clowns or new props, other then that please no other repeat Scarezones. we need sliders again just saying, and finaly I would like to see more shows one it would kill the long lines and two it seems dead without them at least bring Slaughterworld back. well now that this year is over I think Im gonna go on Halloween Weekend from now on I loved the energy it was great and made the experiance 100% better so thats my report just two more days and count me in for 2012 speculation!