Killswitch22's Unexplainable Review (Some Spoilers)

killswitch22

First off I would like to say, what an amazing year for HHN. It was definetly a step up from last years event. This was a year of firsts for me as an attendee. these firsts being:

1. First Time going to HHN for multiple nights

2. First time with a Frequent Fear Pass

3. First time leading my group through a house

4. First time going to HHN by myself

5. First time going to HHN without a lady :(

6. First time to hit everything in one night.

Last night ( September 29th) was one of the best nights to go. I got done with everything in about three and a half hours, so I actually got to repeat houses. Lets start with a review of the houses

Note from 10/6/2011: Scareactors seemed much more aggressive tonight. I'm loving it. Keep up the good work.

HOUSES: (In order I went through them)

Saws n Steam (7:00): I was not expecting a whole lot from this house being that I wasn't a fan of the scarezone last year. This house was ok. Not too many scares and there wasn't really much to look at in my opinion. The waterfall guy/effect was neat but overall this house lacked in many areas. There were lots of areas where it seemed like it was just dead space. This maze also seemed very short to me. Oh well, will go through again for sure and hope its better next time. Rating 2.5 out of 5.

Edit October 9 (8:00) Much better run through tonight. Much more intense. Still not my favorite but its rising.

Nevermore (7:25): I was really looking foward to this house when it was revealed and it really pulled through. For a tent house this has so much detail put into it compared to past houses I've been in in this tent (The Spawing, Havoc). A lot of good scares. The Raven Room is really neat and totally different than what I was expecting. Poe was amazing too, I loved seeing him throughout the house. Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

The Forsaken (7:45): After hearing the reviews of this house I was a bit skeptical but WOW. This house is absolutly amazing. The details and the scares were great and I had the most scares in this house. I don't ever think I've jumped so far back in a conga line during a scare. This house works because of the empty rooms, the anticipation is really what makes this house. The slanted floor room is crazy dangerous and the finale is one of the best finale scares I've gotten in a while. Rating: 5 out of 5.

Edit: 10/6 (11:20) Another Great run through tonight. Seemed wetter and louder than the last time. Only adds more to what I would call the best house of the year.

The In- Between (8:05) This was my first 3D house I've been through and was really looking foward to it. I have to say this house was crazy trippy. You could tell what was real and what was fake. I got a few good scares in this one. The design was neat and I like going through the different glowing rooms. Rating 4 out of 5.

Winters Night (8:25) This was my most anticipated house just because of the fact that it was going to be cold and I'm so glad it was. I expected this house to be extremely dark however that is not the case. You can see everything. Really good trick scares. Got the best scare of the night in this house too. Nothing special about this one but it still worked. Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

Edit: 10/6 (10:20) This one seemed to have many more actors than I remember, but not as many scares. Finale scene was on it tonight though.

Nightengales (9:30): I was very excited for this house and was extremely dissapointed. I expected the banshees to be as viscious as the DOWs from Havoc. The visuals and the sounds were great but the scares lacked. I got one good scare and thats it. Will definetly be going through this one again though. Rating: 3 out of 5.

Edit: October 6 (10:30): Much better runthrough last night. Much more scares. Very impressed now. Rating:4 out of 5.

The Thing (9:40): I have mixed feelings about this house. I'm not sure if I hit it during a cast change or what but it seemed like some parts that should have tons of scares didnt have any. The stobe effects in this one were great but would have been better if there were scares to go along with it. Rating: 3 out of 5

Bloodengutz (10:30): I love the dark comedy houses and this was no different. The scenes are amazing and lots of fun. I love the Presidents day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas rooms. I actually got a good scare in the fourth of july room too. Good scenes, average scares. Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

Scarezones:

7: OH MY GOD. This is by far the best scarezone I've been in since I've been attending since 09. The lady's are wonderful and their minions get great scares. I went through this one 4 times because it was so good. Oh and the Manson playing in the background just makes it so much better. Rating 6 out of 5.

Grown Evil: I went through this one once during the day and once during the night. And I'll tell you what. It is one cool zone at night. The music in the background makes it even creepier. I love the animals trying to get you and an overall good scarezone. Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Canyon of Dark Souls: This one was really cool. The stilt actors are really aggresive in this one and they are what make the zone. The first time I went through there were no actors and the zone was still creepy. But as it got darker it got better and better. The fire effect brings the intensity up more too. Rating: 4 out of 5.

Acid Assault: This one was really cool. The actors were top notch here and got some good scares in this one. The building effects are amazing here too. Not much to say about this except that it was a solid zone. Rating 4 out of 5.

Nightmaze: This is a good concept and I love how the actors blend in with the walls. The pitch black also helps with scares too. Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

Your Luck has Run Out: This was an ok zone for me. There was a guy behind me who got the crap scared out of him however. This zone wasn't terrible but it wasn't great. Rating: 3 out of 5.

Edit: 10/6: The actors were really on it tonight. Some of the best scares I've ever recieved in a scarezone. Much better than the past couple of walkthroughs.

I didn't hit any shows tonight I'm saving them for the 9th.

House Rankings (As of 10/9)

1. The Forsaken

2. Nevermore

3. The Inbetween

4. Bloodengutz

5. Nightengales

6. Winter's Night

7. Saws n Steam

8. The Thing

Scarezone Rankings (As of 10/9)

1. 7

2. Canyon of Dark Souls

3. Grown Evil

4. Acid Assault

5. Your Luck Has Run Out

6. Nightmaze

Bill and Ted: Not a lot to say about this year. Some laughs and some complete misses. I was glad to see the Honey Badger. The finale was much better than last year but that all that I saw as an improvement.

Overall this is a great year. The best year for scarezones since I've been going and all of the houses are pretty good. Thanks for reading.

Edited by killswitch22

Your Luck has Run Out: This was an ok zone for me. There was a guy behind me who got the crap scared out of him however. This zone wasn't terrible but it wasn't great. Rating: 3 out of 5.

Do you remember if the person that got really scared had somewhat long blonde hair, black jeans, and a "New Era of Darkness" shirt on? It could have possibly be me.

photo of me

Man, I hope you do Saws n Steam again. I'm disappointed you didnt like it all that much. 7:00 is still a little too early to go through the Jaws house no matter how good or bad it is. If you wait til a later time when its dark outside I'm sure you'd like it better. Also either cast will have been through our first sets so we'll have gotten the warmup we need ;)

not necessarily. i went through this one as well yesterday at 6:15 and my group of 3 were the only ones in te house and its my favorite house of the year, even one of the best ive ever done. which actor are you?

Nightengales (9:30): I was very excited for this house and was extremely dissapointed. I expected the banshees to be as viscious as the DOWs from Havoc. The visuals and the sounds were great but the scares lacked. I got one good scare and thats it. Will definetly be going through this one again though. Rating: 3 out of 5.

cast change at 9:30. bad timing.

Right after the waterfall before the ZG drop fence/slammers.

You've or your swap out have gotten me every time I've gone through pretty much. I'm always so distracted checking out the waterfall and scuba guy and getting wet, that once I turn to continue on, your character is always right in front of me blocking the way, always gives me a scare! :) Great job! Love that house!