This will be my first time going opening night!

Okay guys, I'm very excited about this year and will be attending OPENING NIGHT. I've never done this before but since SCREAM is coming, I honestly had no choice but to. I just can't wait until the end of the month more near towards Halloween to wait for something like that. Anyway, on to the point of the forum...

I know many of you have attended opening nights before. Personally, I've always avoided going to Halloween events in September and to events on Friday nights in general. Typically, I've gone to HHN on week nights every year (Halloween in 07, the last Thursdays of the month 08 - 10).

Now I've heard many mixed things about opening night so I thought for anyone like me who is curious, those who have gone can tell us first hand accounts about it.

Some basic things I know:

The Scareactors won't be 100% on their game.

A lot of concepts and ideas won't be completely fine tuned.

As for line administration and stuff, we'll basically be guinea pigs (other than employee night)

Now the few questions I have to ask:

How does the Eyegore Awards effect the event? Like are any streets, scarezones, mazes or anything closed down because of it until it's over? What time is it usually anyway?

Are celebrities often seen walking around because of the Eyegore Awards on this night?

I know before last year, opening night was relatively low crowds - - but it sold out last year. How bad were the lines after about 9 PM?

Do people arrive super early for opening night or is it kinda the same for other nights where people trickle in until 9?

Is the parking chaos before park opening? (I guess that goes with the last question a little)

Will the front plaza scarezone (SCREAM this year) be open when they let people in for opening scaramonies?

Is it mostly fans who know to do the lower lot first? Or is it still a big GP crowd who wander around?

Is there any maze venues it takes an extra while for scareactors to get to before the event begins, making it less full then it will be later?

Any other comments, details, advice?

1) I'm not sure how the Eyegore Awards affect the event, the first time i went opening night, i went an hour late and everything was fine. (Opened at 6, went at 7 i believe) I DO believe that some of the houses may get held up because some celebrities may want to walk through the house alone with their group.

2) I don't remember seeing any celebrities as the first time I attended the event was on opening night and I wasn't familiar with much of the horror industry

I'm sorry that I can't explain that much as I was dropped off, and I don't remember too much (I went 2008) lol.

Just let me tell you this, not everything is set up opening night. I remember going a second time that same month and things were different (not too much but strobe lights were added; fog was added in some scenes; etc)

Okay guys, I'm very excited about this year and will be attending OPENING NIGHT. I've never done this before but since SCREAM is coming, I honestly had no choice but to. I just can't wait until the end of the month more near towards Halloween to wait for something like that. Anyway, on to the point of the forum...

I know many of you have attended opening nights before. Personally, I've always avoided going to Halloween events in September and to events on Friday nights in general. Typically, I've gone to HHN on week nights every year (Halloween in 07, the last Thursdays of the month 08 - 10).

Now I've heard many mixed things about opening night so I thought for anyone like me who is curious, those who have gone can tell us first hand accounts about it.

As for line administration and stuff, we'll basically be guinea pigs (other than employee night)

How does the Eyegore Awards effect the event? Like are any streets, scarezones, mazes or anything closed down because of it until it's over? What time is it usually anyway?

Are celebrities often seen walking around because of the Eyegore Awards on this night?

I know before last year, opening night was relatively low crowds - - but it sold out last year. How bad were the lines after about 9 PM?

Do people arrive super early for opening night or is it kinda the same for other nights where people trickle in until 9?

Is the parking chaos before park opening? (I guess that goes with the last question a little)

Will the front plaza scarezone (SCREAM this year) be open when they let people in for opening scaramonies?

Is it mostly fans who know to do the lower lot first? Or is it still a big GP crowd who wander around?

Is there any maze venues it takes an extra while for scareactors to get to before the event begins, making it less full then it will be later?

I ALWAYS go opening night, so a few things I've noticed.

Scareactors are ALWAYS 100% on their game. I've gone multiple nights the same years, and actually found a lot of the scareactors are most amped the first night. They can be a little overeager for the screams on night 1, but they're always on top of it. The only ones who are still working stuff out are the ones who have improv lines, i.e. ringmaster in Klownz last year, preacher in Welcome to Hell year before, etc...They're still figuring out what lines work and what don't.

Also, everything is basically fine tuned already. Keep in mind, JM has been working on this since opening night last year. Yeah they change things here and there, but all the concepts are in place.

Eyegore awards have very little effect on the rest of the park, it's removed enough from everything that it's a non-issue. There ARE celebrities roaming the park, but they're usually getting RIP tours, so don't expect to bump into Corey Feldmann in line for Hostel. Parking is decent, they're always pretty on top of that. I always end up paying for premium parking though, so I'm jaded. Some people arrive early, but keep in mind, it is gonna be a Friday night in Los Angeles, traffic capital of the world. Intentions don't often allow for reality. Unfortunately I can't speak to Opening Scaremonies, as traffic disallowed it for me both years. Most of the repeat guests know to do lower lot first, while the others tend to go based on what the wait kiosks tell them is their best bet. I'm not 100% sure I understand the last question.... Hope I could help.

.Some basic things I know:

I'd figure i'll advise some of these questions based upon fair judgement

i'll be on my A game ALL EVENT LONG even if im dead (no pun) the next day i'll push my A game

From training days to Final scare on the 31st

Theres always something bound to happen at any moment, its like a live taping of a show, someone yells out something stupid or throws something, theres nothing you can do since its live

Same with us, We're going on for 8-10 hours a night, if something goes wrong or if theres a small flaw we have to work through it so dont expect it to be on purpose

Opening Night will be the greatest next to EP and special event nights. You guys are the REAL crowd, EP are our test subjects. so dont feel so bad :) we have multiple training sessions before EP so you'll be ready for our scares

Onto your unanswered questions :)

Eyegore Awards doesn't truly effect the event, although there will be A LOT of Press and Camera Opening night. If you do meet a celebrity or if someone in your group spots one, be respectful to them

Remember they've been invited to be a guest the same way Universal opened its doors to you. If theyre trying to catch a maze with a few friends Let them.

Opening Night is usually always the night that gets packed. Its the First of The Year, People wanna get scared and they've seen Universal Quality so they know what to expect.

Long Time Fans to even New Fans, Its gonna be a blood bath. My Suggestion, hit SCRE4M first then Lower Lot :)

People usually arrive early to buy tickets or to hang at citywalk before the event. My Suggestions, When at Universal, Do as the Romans Do

The Lines can get a little crazy along with Parking, So be prepared to find a quick safe and easy place to park you WILL be tired after the nights over

Front Plaza usually opens around 6:15 as they like to get guests in before 6:30 when the event Truly opens. Usually Opening Scaramonies take place in NY Street

So if anything they pull the line toward HoH and Stop so you can witness the OS

Lower Lot can get crowded on some nights, Usually its the least due to it being all the way at the bottom. My Suggestion was up above about Hitting Scream then Lower Lot

If your gonna hit LL hit both Hostel and Alice, TRUST ME you're gonna thank me when its over

Last for the way scareactors get to mazes. We have different call times and different casts (A and B) this means that usually people with say a 4:30 call time would need to get to Scare Base, Sign in Get make up costume prosthetic prop etc etc and take their shuttle down up or to the backlot

Once there they immediately are set into position, JUST BE WARNED certain times Scareactors WILL be switching during the run of a maze. My Suggestion. Miss the scares hit it before the night completely ends. Even if you are late to Bill and Ted hit EVERY maze at least twice ITS VERY POSSIBLE

All in All dude Have Fun and be sure to say Hi if you see me on break, this years gonna be amazing and you WILL NOT regret it :)

Ignore the part where Steve is talking about call times and casts. Thats not how it really works. :) Won't go into details, but rest assured- every spot in the maze is filled by the time guests are allowed through, baring some sort of emergency.

Opening Night really is not too different from other nights. Energy levels are high, however... people ARE still easing into their roles and zones. Learning what works and what doesn't so yeah, things might be a little 'off'. I would say by Second weekend, I've usually hit my stride again and know for sure what I'm doing with my character, and its much the same for everyone else.

When Knott's used to have a different opening night then Horror Nights, I always went opening, then a few times later on and talent performance always got better so I never judged them based on that first night.

first off who told you the SA arent 100% on their game ?? to me they are HYPED UP to the max...its there first day and all so of course they ALWAYS go all out. Sure they get even better at scaring throughout the month but there performance is INCREDIBLE the first night, i usually NEVER have a problem with that. well its good to see we have a new opening night attender lol :D to me opening night is the BEST time to go because of the built up anticipation for the event is finally relieved. well time to answer some questions :D

1) The eyegore awards doesnt effect the event in anyways possible. Sure once you walk through the zombieville SZ or HOTC maze you'll notice it. Its restricted off and you can he stand by and watch some horror celebrities being interviewed or taking photos. Its actually pretty cool but it doesnt intervene with the parks performance.

2) YES ! i've actually seen rob zombie on the escalator coming up from the lower lot. Seeing these celebrities is actually what makes opening night cooler !

3) the lines actually started off descent but last year is the FIRST year i've noticed or seen how packed opening night was. Hoepfully it wont be that way this year but by the time the lines got long i was actually about done with everything. after 9pm ughhh ill say it was about 30-45 mins wait time or more.

4)people usually arrive early to catch the opening ceremony and through excitment to go in but of course you'll always have your stragglers coming in around 9 or later :P

5) the way this question was worded kind of confused me lol well ill tell you this, parking can be good and convient for you as long as you arrive early.

6)this SZ is really never open til after the opening ceremony. so you miss it in exchange to watch the opening act. But you can always stroll back or catch it on your way out.

7) i think its the fans that know lol i always hit this place first and its empty to little people seriously at first. either that or everyone else is hitting up a diffrent maze first or taking time to get down there.

8) the only maze venue it takes longer for scareactors to get to is the HoH overlay which usually opens later than all the other mazes. probably because they have to fix it up after HoH regular daytime hours

ALL in ALL your gonna have a GREAT RE-MEMORABLE time! Honestly Opening Night is my FAVORITE time to go. i couldnt imagine watching these awesome reviews on this year and still having to wait later in the month to go. its been a tradition since 2006 to go on opening night. Just the excitment and anticipation for the event gets you going as you step foot through the gates into HHN.

Edited by HorrorNights93

Yeah, usually I can wait it out to get more of a Halloween experience but just sitting by and reading reviews on SCREAM or THE THING or even LA LLORONA would just kill me knowing I'd have to wait longer. The way I see it, it's like the midnight screening of a movie you've been waiting for.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, usually I can wait it out to get more of a Halloween experience but just sitting by and reading reviews on SCREAM or THE THING or even LA LLORONA would just kill me knowing I'd have to wait longer. The way I see it, it's like the midnight screening of a movie you've been waiting for.

And that's why I'm gonna call in for work for that day and go to HHN anyway, if.. uh.. if it's not sold out by opening night FOR opening night by then. I just don't want to wait until Oct. 22nd to finally have my turn at this year. I guess I started a new tradition for myself, always go to opening night solo and then sate my appetite by looking at video on YouTube, or hopefully what I take myself until it's time to go again.

Hope I can meet some of you guys there!

All I will tell you is this, cause the others have answered all your questions. Last year(opening night) was my first year and all of my friends first years because we finally had a ride. The year before I was 18 but got my license when I was 17, so my mom didn't want me to drive in LA cause it sucks! We were kind of pissed off when we got there cause of the traffic, it was 7:30 by the time we finished dinner and we didn't get into the park until 7:50 cause of the security line... BEST NIGHT EVER! We were all used to scary farm scares, which make me jump and occasionally make me yell in shock, but HHN SCARED US! Every scare caused me to jump like a foot in the air, and every maze we did produced multiple AWESOME scares! VERY VERY AWESOME NIGHT... and we had no game plan last year AT ALL... we just went to what had a short wait! Opening night RULES!