New to HHN Hollywood this year

Before coming to these forums I was part of the Vault as well. Have been around for the last 4 years or so now but rarely posting here. Never posted in Hollywood's portion.

To change things up a bit my buddy and I are traveling to Hollywood for this year's event. After attending Orlando's for a number of years we had amassed 'tricks of the trade' to get the best experience all around. Whether that be flights, hotels, restaurants or how to get the most out of the event itself; we had it figured out and had a great time. But we know nothing about flying into HHNH, the best place to stay that is within walking distance (if possible) or a place that has a shuttle with a quick drive time (5-10 minutes), etc.

Care to share your tricks of the trade for getting the most out of HHNH?

Notes:

• We typically fly in mid-to-late October (10/20-10/25ish) for a 6 day / 5 night vacation.
  • Stay in the park all day and then HHN all night with a FFP
  • Do any hotels have express passes built into your stay using your room key, etc?
  • May want to do Knott's Berry Farm

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

First and foremost, glad to see you'll be coming our way to experience "Hollywood-ized Scares." Secondly, I hope we don't disappoint. Just remember, we're more about making the movies come to life. I hope you're not coming over here for "originality" because we don't serve that up too well. Here's what So Cal has to offer you this Halloween season:

The Universal hotel (I don't know the EXACT name of it) last year had a type of bundle where you get tickets and a room. It's pretty barebones but at least you got a place to say that's in moderate walking distance (no hotels practically on property like Orlando). But I wouldn't necessarily rely on that since it took them until half way into the event to even post the information. However, there are a lot of shuttles in the area so you'll find your way there easy PLUS taxi service that literally drops you off at the entrance, if all else fails.

You're getting the FFP, which is already good in itself. Since you'll be attending for a two or three days, not sure if you'll need a front of the line pass but our event is RISING in popularity vastly so who knows. It might just be a safe bet to get one.

As for Knotts, go on a weekday and you'll get through ALL of the mazes (literally ZERO wait if you go on a Wednes or Thurs pretty much anytime in the month). Also, a vast majority of the rides have zero wait as well, especially between 7 - 9 so you wouldn't even need to go there in the day for that. If you want to see some shows (which are honestly not worthwhile other than the Hanging and maybe the improv show), you might need another night but I've known of people who have successfully done everything (with some serious time crunching and without eating). Well actually, for that you could do a Pre Buffer BBQ deal and actually get in the park a bit earlier than everyone else. Also, their hotel packages (from previous years, mind you) were lightyears better than Universal's. I'm talking free breakfast, tickets, rooms, parking, T-shirts, collectible cups, etc. AND it's on the property. But Knotts is a good hour or so away from Universal. But hey, also another thing you might want to consider since you'll be right there...

Disneyland has become a pretty good Halloween event as of late. No mazes or scarezones but they're racking up on the entertainment and boosting it up every year. Nothing scary but it sure is fun, especially the cheesy 80s horror version of Space Mountain (known as Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy). Also, Star Tours 2.0 and The Little Mermaid rides are opening at both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure (literally across from Disneyland, in case you didn't know). Disneyland is only a few short miles from Knotts also. So think about it, you can stay in the Knotts hotel for the duration, go to Knotts one night, go to Disneyland Resort for 1 or 2 nights and cap it off with Universal (maybe via taxi there). You might even be interested in their Trick or Treat event, if you're interested in feeling like a kid again and want to trick or treat in the most bad ass place on the planet. Come in a costume, get candy and ride some Disney classic rides.

If you got anymore questions, feel free to just ask! I'm a local and I do all three events each year.

Edited by DTH316

First, thank you for a detailed response like that. Very helpful!

We actually want to try Hollywood because of the movie aspect. Orlando has done great with a few properties that tie into their story lines. But we have been there a few years in a row and it's too familiar now. The rides, the attractions, etc. So it's time for Hollywood.

I checked out the Universal hotel (Sheraton?) and it was upwards of $2500 for our stay. Which is pricey for two people. I was able to cover my round trip flight, Hard Rock Resort stay, all tickets, purchases, food, movies, etc for roughly half that total in Orlando. Are the prices really that much greater here? I really want to stay within walking distance. We learned our lesson the first year in Orlando as taxi costs add up really quickly even for 5-10 miles at a time. The freedom of not being on a schedule for a shuttle, and staying late at HHN, is huge.

Depending on the cost of commuting to Knott's, we are definitely interested in going there for a day. Not Disney however. Disney is definitely something I would be interested in for the family though. Just not with my buddy.

Thanks again!

Just to add to what DTH said, I would recommend getting a FOTL pass. I went opening night last year and had to skip a maze, not to mention the fact that we rarely get on the rides or see shows with the exception of B&T. As for hotels, I've never stayed @ the Universal Sheraton but $2500 sounds way too expensive for 2 people. Definitely look around, maybe just stay there while attending HHN, and if you decide to hit KSF (which I recommend, simply for the fact that it so different from BOTH HHN's AND quantity of mazes) stay at a hotel in Buena Park close to KSF, and it wont be such long trip to Disney (should you choose to visit)

Just to add to what DTH said, I would recommend getting a FOTL pass. I went opening night last year and had to skip a maze, not to mention the fact that we rarely get on the rides or see shows with the exception of B&T. As for hotels, I've never stayed @ the Universal Sheraton but $2500 sounds way too expensive for 2 people. Definitely look around, maybe just stay there while attending HHN, and if you decide to hit KSF (which I recommend, simply for the fact that it so different from BOTH HHN's AND quantity of mazes) stay at a hotel in Buena Park close to KSF, and it wont be such long trip to Disney (should you choose to visit)

Would FOTL pass be an issue if we had a FFP and attended the event 3 nights? We are usually able to do everything in one night in Orlando without any passes during 'Hell week' when all schools are out and it's packed. If not one night, certainly two nights with doubling back on the houses as well.

I'm fairly certain we will stay in the same hotel for the entire stay so we don't over complicate things. We may not be able to make it to Knott's due to the distance then. Do they have any special shuttles or commuting options to get there? Doubtful, but thought I'd ask. I can't imagine an hour long taxi ride to be cheap either ;)

Through Universal's site I was able to get a price of $1450 for the Sheraton hotel. It's about .2 miles from Universal so that's perfect. Much more reasonable.

After looking around at ticket options on Uni's site I got an idea. They have a "Starline Tours of Hollywood - hop on, hop off" ticket for $29. It goes to Knott's. So, I'm thinking, we could take that tour and hit Knott's for an entire day and then taxi back depending on rates in the area. Seems like a great way to save a few bucks on getting there plus take in some sights en route.

Thoughts?

Would FOTL pass be an issue if we had a FFP and attended the event 3 nights? We are usually able to do everything in one night in Orlando without any passes during 'Hell week' when all schools are out and it's packed. If not one night, certainly two nights with doubling back on the houses as well.I'm fairly certain we will stay in the same hotel for the entire stay so we don't over complicate things. We may not be able to make it to Knott's due to the distance then. Do they have any special shuttles or commuting options to get there? Doubtful, but thought I'd ask. I can't imagine an hour long taxi ride to be cheap either ;)

Through Universal's site I was able to get a price of $1450 for the Sheraton hotel. It's about .2 miles from Universal so that's perfect. Much more reasonable.After looking around at ticket options on Uni's site I got an idea. They have a "Starline Tours of Hollywood - hop on, hop off" ticket for $29. It goes to Knott's. So, I'm thinking, we could take that tour and hit Knott's for an entire day and then taxi back depending on rates in the area. Seems like a great way to save a few bucks on getting there plus take in some sights en route.Thoughts?

You wont need a FOTL if you're attending multiple nights. You'll def hit EVERYTHING within 3 nights, and can do so within one night if planned properly.

I would def take that tour bus down to Knotts for a day and night of fun. BUT that taxi ride back to your hotel sounds pricey. Idk. I def think Knotts is worth your time, just not too sure about that taxi ride back to the hotel.

You wont need a FOTL if you're attending multiple nights. You'll def hit EVERYTHING within 3 nights, and can do so within one night if planned properly.

I would def take that tour bus down to Knotts for a day and night of fun. BUT that taxi ride back to your hotel sounds pricey. Idk. I def think Knotts is worth your time, just not too sure about that taxi ride back to the hotel.

Thinking about stay the first night at Knott's then taking a taxi to Universal (Sheraton or Hilton) for the rest of the trip. Just hate the thought of so much run around on a vacation like that. Multiple hotels, taxis, etc. Doesn't sound relaxing and fun ;)

I'd definitely say do Knotts first so you can just see how much better Universal is haha

Ending with Knotts would be a downer, as far as quality goes (unless they amp things up this year but I doubt it)

I did every single ride, maze and show at HHN last year in one night. You can look up my trip report to find out the amount of time and such it took to accomplish that. I was very precise with the report in what time it was and such so it should be helpful. It also helps to remember to be tactful! Do the "maze of the year" first, or whichever one's line might take the longest, and then run down to the lower lot within the first hour. After that, do things as you go and you'll get everything done.

As for Knotts, maybe go counter-clockwise or whichever way is against in which most of the crowd goes. Actually, I semi take that back. Do the log ride and the mine train first and then start at maybe the bumper car venu and then clockwise until you end at the Mystery Lodge venue. I think that might work splendidly for that but then again, if its a weeknight, it probably doesn't matter what damn direction you go in because you'll get on everything no matter what haha

• 5 weeks later...

well unless your a baller and got money like that then i would recommend staying at 1 of the 2 hotels on the universal property lol.

Personally stay in Hollywood, or the south bay area of los angeles county and you'll find cheaper hotels.

unless your not planning on renting a car. Cause most hotels in the Hollywood area offer shuttle services too universal, knotts, etc.

the event is ok. not as long as Orlando's hours, days, and mazes, and scare zone. but it definitely draws a big crowds.

Usually start letting people in at 6:45 or 10 to 7 at night for the opening scare amony.

definitely get there early too avoid the parking hassles and wait at nights.

and for the most part get your tickets early. there were a lot of days last year that tickets sold out before noon.

yes fotl passes are the way too go. avoid the long lines with annoying people lol.

food is kinda pricey in the park. as in city walk.

Price wise if you want to save i would choose the Sheraton over the Hilton. And it would be best to stay in HHNH area. Personally i didn't like Knotts. Everything about it was plain crappy besides the regular rides. Last year was my first and last year attending them so if you want to save a few bucks not going to there's i wouldn't blame you lol. In all just make sure you arrive to Horror Nights earlier to get a early start on everything and check out the opening act. You'll definetly have a good time and enjoy yourself no matter what HHN it may be. Theres also more stuff to do like Citywalk, Sight seeing in LA etc. Try checking the tickets closer to Oct. who knows you might get a better deal on tickets.

While I would agree that HHN stomps all over Knott's, I personally like Knott's for its own "fun scary" environment. Kinda scary but more of a fun event. What I like about Knott's is that after you're done with the mazes, you can ride all of the thrill rides and roller coasters; though you'll want to catch a show of the Hanging first.

• 1 month later...

To the OP, I am one of the two people on this forum who live in CA and fly to Orlando every year for their events. Creeper06 is the other.

I'm known for rediculously long-winded and over-detailed resposes around here, and I won't let you down with this one :)

If you are out here for 3 nights, my advice is:

* Knotts, but not on Fri or Sat. Thurs and Sun are essentially dead nights. Knott's has no VIP pass to bypass the lines, so it's very important to avoid a peak night. No need to pre-purchase Knott's tickets if it is a non-peak night. They will not sell out.

* HHN on a Fri or Sat, but definitely with a FOTL pass. This is the place you WANT to visit on a Peak night (as long as you have a FOTL pass). Even when the park is wall to wall people, the FOTL pass will get you into things as much as you like with zero wait. Three nights at HHN is two nights too many. The event is a fraction of the size of Orlando's. Do not equate the FOTL with an Express Pass. EP lines in Orlando can often be 40 minutes, and you can only enter one time per house. The FOTL is always a walk-on and is good as many times as you like. Seriously, with an FOTL pass, you can easily see everything twice in 3 hours (and that includes rides). Becuase this is a low-capacity park, HHN WILL sell out on peak nights - and often on any night that is included in the FFP. They definitely sell out of FOTL passes every night, so you should pre-order these tickets.

* One of the following:

- Disneyland for their halloween event

OR

- Queen Mary Dark Harbor even on a Fri or Sat (they sell a VIP wristband in the rare event it is packed).

OR

- Reign of Terror in Thousand Oaks, then hop over to Old Town Haunt in Pasadena

* Do NOT waste your time with Fright Fest at Six Flags Magic Mountain. As a haunt, it is awful. As a park to visit in the daytime, it is great for the coasters. Some of the best in the U.S.

Disneyland's halloween event is VERY much like MK's. Orlando's parade kicks major butt over the yawner that DL presents, but I think that DL's fireworks are much better (complete with a flying Zero). The one big plus DL has over MK is the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay in the Mansion. I don't think it's even fair to call it an overlay anymore - it's a totally different ride experience. Crowd levels at the DL event are moderate - a bit higher than MK's event. 15-20 minutes for Space Mtn for instance. Disneyland usually sells out on peak nights.

Queen Mary is unique, but not that good as a haunt. Still, it offers another 5 mazes. For someone from out of town, I totally see the allure of a haunt inside a huge ship. You won't see that anywhere else. No fear of sell-out nights here.

Old Town Haunt and Reign of Terror are small, single-house haunts, but they are absolutely top-notch and worth driving to. Each of these offers a skip the line ticket. Peak nights can be a 90 minute wait; otherwise you're looking at 15 minutes. The two events are about 30 miles apart, so plan accordingly. Find out closing times for each if you are planning to hit both in one night.

Knott's and Disneyland are within 10 miles of each other. Universal is about 40 miles away from them. This can be a terrible drive due to LA freeways. Driving-wise, Universal is in the middle, with Old Town relatively close, Knott's and Disneyland 30 miles to the South, ROT 30 miles to the NW, and Six Flags 40 miles to the North. Universal is closer to Burbank airport than to LAX. Burbank is infinitely easier to use than LAX.

I know you don't really want to get a car and want to stay near Universal. If you book air/hotel/car through just about any site like Expedia, the car is essentially free. I can't imagine flying all the way out here and only going to HHN - for 3 nights. Honestly, I don't think the FFP even has a 3-night contiguous stretch. Most weekends are considered to be Peak nights and are excluded. The Sheraton is pretty much the only place in walking distance; you'd be looking at a shuttle from anywhere else. Those rates you quoted are rediculous, though.

Do yourself a favor and consider a car. You HAVE to visit Knott's if you're flying all the way here. The mazes are on par with HOS. HHN is going to bore the heck out of you by night two.

EDIT: One more thing to consider: Every year, several coaster groups do a Haunt-related day at Knott's and sometimes a Haunt-related day at Universal. The group that always gets the best itineraries is themeparkreview.com. What they do for Knott's is usually incredible. Last year, we got parking, (day and Haunt) admission, lunch, T-shirt, morning ERT on some of the rides, wristband for VIP maze access, and a daytime lights-on tour of a couple of the mazes. The price is around $60 - for a day that starts with rides before the park even opens, all the way through the Haunt itself. Universal is usually just the nighttime event, but includes front line access. The VIP wristband at Knott's was really neat, since they don't offer them to the general public.

Sign up for a free forum ID on themeparkreview, and be watching for the announcements (usually early-mid Aug). When they announce, they will sell out of tickets within about 3 weeks. Based on last year's dates, I'd guess the Knott's event will be Oct 9th.

Edited by zombieman