LuitaChris' Review Sat. Oct.9th

LuitaChris

** May contain spoilers ** Alright I am going to start this review out with a little background on me. I have attended every year for the past 9 years. My first year was 12 at Islands of Fear with the Caretaker. I live a little over 2 hours away so I can't go multiple times a year, only once. I usually go with my wife and best friends on a Fri or Sat. We decided to go on Saturday the 9th. We arrived at the gate at 6:15pm and made the right towards the tents and parade building. This is the way I always go and usually always knock out the 3 houses within 45 minutes. We actually got through every house by 9pm on Saturday, I was shocked. We did skip the Orfanage which I am still kicking myself for b/c it had a 10 minute wait. So onto the houses and scarezones...

We first hit HHN 20 Years of Fear. I thought this zone was pretty good. I thought there were a lot of scareactors out and the Crypt Keeper was awesome. My wife oved Chucky and I thought Frankenstein was pretty intimidating. Got a couple startles and it had good atmosphere. I give it a 7/10

We then made our way through Fear Revealed. Apparently it wasn't revealed enough b/c my friends asked me the next day where Fear was and I had to tell them he was the tall one on stilts and they thought I was joking. The best part of this zone was the Caretaker. Each time I went through this zone I saw people running from him. I thought he was awesome. Loved seeing Jack and Chance and Eddie was chasing people around. The big drawback to me was Fear. He was the least frightening out of all of the Icons which is totally ass backwards. To me it was a huge letdown. Not to take anything away from the other Icons they were great but Fear was just blah. 6/10

Now we made our way to the first house of the night Hallow'd Past. Like everyone else the warehouse with everything from the previous years were awesome. The vortex was fun as usual. We made our way into the Treaks n Foons and they really didn't do anything. Just stood there with the mirrors around so it looked like there was more than there was. Loved the Alice scene and got a pretty good scare. The first Dead Exposure room did nothing for me but the 2nd one was pretty good I also got a good scare. Got to see the spine pull and had a guy with such bad breath try to scare me that I jumped just to get away from the smell lol. I think I was in the middle of a cast change b/c the frightanic captain walked in as we were walking through. The final room was cool and a Treak actually followed my friend out which was pretty funny. Overall I give it a 7/10

Next we hit the house of the night Catacombs! When I first heard about this house when the site updated I was not looking forward to this at all. Then after hearing the reviews I got my hopes up. This was the first out of 3 houses I was hyped for and it was the only one that delivered. From start to finish this house was on! I got the scare of the night from a doctor and he knew he got me. I stood there after wards and I congratulated him on a great scare and told him " you got me " and he was pointing at me shaking his head up and down. It was awesome from start to finish. You guys were awesome. 9.5/10

After Catacombs we made out way to HAVOC. I really didn't have any feelings going into the house. When I saw the facade I got a little hyped for the house. Loved the machine gun sound also. There really isn't much I remember. I do recall my wife hitting a red button but I don't think anything happened. It was an loud house but I just didn't get many scares. Had a killer headache afterwards though. 5/10

We got through all those houses in under an hour and decided to skip Orfanage and head to Zombiegeddon. This was one of my top 3 houses I was looking forward to. I want to love this house and I am still trying to come up with excuses why I didn't like it. The atmosphere was great and the detail was awesome. I just felt like from start to finish the Zombies were too restricted. I know thats the point in the begining but even near the end I felt they were. They weren't as in your face as I was hoping. I saw the Zombie baby and tried to hold up the line to see it do something but no such luck. I did get a good scare in the van scene though. Wish I could of done it again but I give it 6/10

When we came out of the house we walk right through Zombie Gras. The first time there was no one in the zone. The second time there was but only about 4 that I saw. The atmosphere is cool but that was about it for me. 4/10

Now onto the best scare zone I have been through in the last few years, Saws N Steam. This zone had my wife and best friends girl scared out of their wits. The use of Sting Ally was awesome and was really unsettling when your are the only ones walking through this area with all the green eyes glowing at you. We got targeted by everyone and I loved it. 10/10

Now it was on to Hades. I have some mixed feelings on this. The atmosphere was pretty decent. I just didn't get too many scares. Medusa got me and the Minotaur was pretty intimidating. Their wasn't as much stuff hanging as I was expecting. The final scene really confused me. I feel that this scene could of put the house over the top but it just didn't have anything. Kind of disappointing but not the most disappointing of the night. Had good atmosphere and to me that saved it. 7.5/10

Next was PsychoScarepy. The facade was great and set the atmosphere for the house. I had a couple good startles in here but the best part was the red button. I hit it when a guy in front of me goes "what's that"? I didn't see what it did but it scared my friends gf so bad that it made me laugh my ass off through the whole house. I might have missed the rest of the house due to this. The hand scene was great though I do remember that. 7/10

Now onto the most disappointing of the night Legendary Truth. I had a feeling I shouldn't of had high hopes for this house due to the timing that was needed for the scares. I gotta say that the facade was amazing. I liked the effect of the ghosts behind the walls and I saw the ghost under the floor as I was walking into the next room. I just couldn't believe the amount of dead space in this house. That was really aggravating to me. Just regular hallways. I was just praying for something good to scare me but I didn't even feel scared. I wasn't looking over my shoulder or looking around me trying to find where the next scare was coming. It felt off and I was really disappointed. 4/10

We then walked through the Coven. I got more scares here than Legendary truth. I actually really liked this zone. A witch coming out of one of the huts got me good. I also had one of the good looking witches get all up in my ear which wasn't so bad lol. Nice atmosphere and lighting, just a really good zone. 8.5/10

After that we decided to some rides since we don't get to Uni all but once a year for HHN. Then we walked through Esqueleto Muerta. This was a pretty good zone too and I didn't think it would be. I got about 2 good scares and one of the scare actors followed my wife from the beginning of the zone to the end and was right behind her. It was great. 7/10

I have to say that I was disappointed with this years event. I thought a lot of the houses were going to be awesome from what I heard and told our group the same. I'm still hearing it a little on how it wasn't as great as I made it sound. I have been going long enough to know that sometimes its hit or miss with houses and if you are in a house during a cast change that it would negatively impact your view on a house. For people like me and most of the public who can only go once a year this is all we have to make our conclusions on the event. To me Fear is just a marketing tool. He really wasn't all that scary and there wasn't much focus on him at all throughout the event. The scarezones I thought were above average which was a huge plus. The entrance was non existent which is a shame b/c I feel it sets the tone for the night. I will always go to HHN and I am a true fan of the event. That is why I took the time to write this b/c I really love HHN. I hope that next year it progresses b/c with a few changes here and there I believe this year could have been awesome.

Edited by LuitaChris

We got through all those houses in under an hour and decided to skip Orfanage and head to Zombiegeddon. This was one of my top 3 houses I was looking forward to. I want to love this house and I am still trying to come up with excuses why I didn't like it. The atmosphere was great and the detail was awesome. I just felt like from start to finish the Zombies were too restricted. I know thats the point in the begining but even near the end I felt they were. They weren't as in your face as I was hoping. I saw the Zombie baby and tried to hold up the line to see it do something but no such luck. I did get a good scare in the van scene though. Wish I could of done it again but I give it 6/10

My only argument with that is about the restrictions of the zombies and not being in your face...there is a reason for that. It would be way too dangerous for us to do that. Look I get really close to peoples' faces and I'm near the beginning and I've been hit several times by accident and dodged a few not so accidental swings. So as much as it would be nice to be in everyones face and I want to but we've been reamed for it multiple times...so...

It also worries me you saying you made it to ZG in under an hour. Please tell me it was dark out. If it wasn't you did not go at the right time and got the full affect of it. You cannot go through there when its light out.

^^not sure if it was spellcheck or by your own accident but I think you meant "effect" as opposed to "affect". Sorry it just bothers me haha.

And Luita it sounds like you did hit Hallowd past on a cast change, sorry about that.

Awesome review though I live to read these.

Edited by gatoralex

^^not sure if it was spellcheck or by your own accident but I think you meant "effect" as opposed to "affect". Sorry it just bothers me haha.

well it shouldn't bother you because technically both are correct. And the way I was using it is correct.

Affect - is to alter feelings or emotions. I was referring to the feeling of fear in my house.

well it shouldn't bother you because technically both are correct. And the way I was using it is correct.

Affect - is to alter feelings or emotions. I was referring to the feeling of fear in my house.

Nevermind, read it wrong

Edited by gatoralex

Next we hit the house of the night Catacombs! When I first heard about this house when the site updated I was not looking forward to this at all. Then after hearing the reviews I got my hopes up. This was the first out of 3 houses I was hyped for and it was the only one that delivered. From start to finish this house was on! I got the scare of the night from a doctor and he knew he got me. I stood there after wards and I congratulated him on a great scare and told him " you got me " and he was pointing at me shaking his head up and down. It was awesome from start to finish. You guys were awesome. 9.5/10

Happy you enjoyed the house. :D

Edited by MirpleBoy