Second time at HHN (extremely late review)

EthanH

It's been four years since I logged on to this site.  I'm returning to HHN on Sunday for my third HHN experience (my first being in 2015 and my second being in 2018).  I realized I posted a review for 2015, but I didn't post one last year for 2018, so I figured since I enjoyed 2018's event marginally more than 2015's, I should do an extremely late review.  I did rank the houses the night after I went last year, and this is based on that.

10. The Horrors of Blumhouse.  I remember enjoying the Happy Death Day section of the house a great deal, even though I never saw this movie.  I haven't seen The Purge either, but I'm more familiar with that concept, and I don't think it was as bad as 2015's Purge house, but I'm glad The Purge isn't returning for 2019.  Grade: B-

9. Dead Exposure: Patient Zero.  This is a house that I wish I could've gotten a behind the scenes tour of because I could tell it was extremely detailed.  I also love how much care they took in the backstory, as they do with all their best houses.  However, with the flashing lights and constant darkness, I couldn't absorb the scenery.  It did make up for that in scares, however.  Grade: B

8. Stranger Things.  I'll admit, I'm not the biggest Stranger Things fan either.  I liked season one a lot (which is what this house was based on), but seasons two and three... that's a different story.  This was the first house I did the night I went (boy, what a mistake that was.  Even with fast pass).  As for the house itself, it was extremely scenic.  It was kind of strange that they didn't combine seasons one and two, like they're doing seasons two and three this year, considering season two had already been out for a year when this house came out.  I'm more worried about 2019's house.  I hear it's not as good as 2018's, and I only liked 2018's just fine.  Grade: B

7. Poltergeist.  From what I can tell, this is generally considered to be the best house of the event.  I'm not the biggest fan of the movie, but I remember the house was perfectly fine, I just like the other houses more.  Definitely one of the scarier houses.  Grade: B

6. Halloween 4.  I don't think I've ever seen Halloween 4 in particular, but I'm pretty sure I saw the original Halloween, so I wasn't particularly lost during this house.  For a house in the Shrek theater, it was far more enjoyable than 2015's Asylum in Wonderland.  Grade: B+

5. Scary Tales.  In all honesty, I can't remember a damn thing about this house.  The perils of writing a review more than a year after I did the event.  I only did the house once.  I think I remember something about Hansel and Gretel?  This must have been a good house, because I had this fifth in my ranking when I ranked them the day after.  But I like giving advantages to the original idea houses.  So more Scary Tales!  Grade: B+?

4. Slaughter Sinema.  This is where the houses take a huge uptick in quality.  I had the fast pass and decided to wait in the regular line just so I could do the house again later in the night.  So I ended up having the longest wait time with this house at nearly 40 minutes.  I adore the idea they had of going into a different B-movie with a poster alluding to what you're about to enter.  Genius idea.  Grade: A

3. Trick 'R Treat.  I didn't see the movie prior to doing the house, but I did watch it a few days after.  I loved the movie, and I loved the house even though I didn't see the movie.  It's such a wonderfully halloween house, going through a neighborhood with pumpkins everywhere and all that.  This house perhaps had my favorite set decor of all the houses.  Grade: A

2. Carnival Graveyard.  I think I did this house twice?  Maybe once.  But I loved it and thought it competed admirably with my number one.  I love carnivals around halloween, and doing a spooky metal circus a la Carnival of Carnage was a great choice.  Probably the scariest house of the event.  Grade: A

1. Seeds of Extinction.  Not a whole lot of praise for this house, which is shocking.  I loved it.  It's the only house in the history of HHN that I got to do more than twice.  Four times!  And two of those times were in a row when the park was nearly closing.  Maybe it was just because I absorbed more detail and absorbed the surroundings enough, but I adored the backstory and the incredible amount of detail they applied to the settings.  The airplane above surprised me every time.  The titled walkway was great.  The costumes were creative, unique, and blended beautifully with the surroundings.  I have a feeling that Depths of Fear for 2019 will be the most similar to this house, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one.  Grade: A+

• Love 1

Cool review.  Late is better than never!

I especially liked the reviews for the IP houses where you had not seen the movie.

Happy Death Day and to some extent Trick R Treat at least to me seem like houses that wold be very confusing if one had not seen the movie.

It says a lot about A&D that you enjoyed the houses despite not necessarily knowing the plot.

Scary Tales was the house that had the witch flying overhead at the facade, Wizard of Oz, Hansel & Gretel, The Three Pigs, Red Riding Hood, Miss Muffet, Humpty Dumpty, Rapunzel, and Little Mermaid.

• Like 2