HHN 20 House Ideas

Alright, well I have discreet ideas about the haunted houses that are going to be used in Universal's Halloween Horror Nights 2010. But when I was watching "Chiller TV", they were giving "The Birds". An idea popped into my head. I said to myself, would it be interesting to have "The Birds Haunted House" in Halloween Horror Nights 2010. As soon as I thought of the idea, I started drawing sketches of what the haunted house should look like. You walk into Sound stage 20, and you will see the Brenner's Home Facade, with boarded up windows and holes through the walls. By the way, if you want to see what the facade would look like, copy the link below. Anyways, you enter the house and you are in the living room, with Mitch (One of the main characters in the movie) warning you to get out, and he will be flailing his arms around as if birds are attacking him. With the sound of hundreds of birds and the sounds of wings flapping, it makes the Mitch character look like he is actually in danger. Then you pass the kitchen and you will walk through a long sheet of torn up curtains. You will enter a vortex where your walking on a small bridge and the walls are spinning around you. The pictures on the spinning vortex will be birds flying. Copy link below. That is all I have for now. If you any more ideas about "The Birds Haunted House", contact me at:

Rafael Carbonell

813-671-2427

http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/files/article...ds/birds001.jpg

http://www.floridathrills.net/figment/bgt/hos/afterhours.jpg

• 3 months later...

So this would be in hopes of some new stuff at this year's event and not just all repeat houses from the past;

Ok, I had a cool idea for a HHN house and hope someone reads this and runs with

it. I would absolutely love to see the video game Dante's Inferno made into an

HHN house. It has all the darkest, most creepy imagery and demonic beasties you

could ask for and an awesome backstory too. Travel through the 9 circles of Hell

and experience true horror in the abyss in settings like; Limbo, Lust, Gluttony,

Greed, Anger, Heresy, Violence, Fraud and Treachery. The soundtrack is

beautifully haunting and just screams HHN. Someone please make it happen! Hey

they make more and more house based on films so why not video games? They gross

just as much as films really so why not. I would love to see this as a double

sized soundstage house that takes you like 8-10 minutes to walk thru. I would

love for Uni to take me to Hell with Dante's Inferno.

Your thoughts?

Cheers!!!

F.U.B.A.R.

Well, you asked for thoughts, so here goes:

A haunted house based on a videogame that's influenced by a 700 year old poem about morality, sin and punishment? Whew, that's a tall order, my friend.

I think that a house like you're describing would require tons of staff, lots of elaborate (and expensive) props and set pieces, and almost justifies the need to be an attraction all its own. I'm thinking it would work in the way that you see independent, permanent haunted houses in smaller towns across America. Being from a small town in Georgia, I think people in the Bible Belt would be thrilled to experience something that is both terrifying-because-of-the-scare-tactics, as well as terrifying-because-of-the-spiritual-implications.

For that reason, I can't see it being added to an event as hugely popular and mainstream as Halloween Horror Nights has become. The risk of offending large demographics due to your subject matter is a line that the HHN designers skirt every year. However, when you're using imagery as blatant as the Circles of Hell, that risk shoots up through the roof. Remember all the "negative publicity" (if there is such a thing) from the Bloody Mary billboards a few years back? That was mainly due to the Metro Orlando Mommies. Just imagine if they'd stirred up the hornets nest with religious organizations!

I'm a fan of Dante's work, as well as Milton's Paradise Lost. They're wonderful pieces of literature, and both terrifying in their own ways. As I said, the imagery from works like these might work in the right setting, with the right resources devoted to them, I just can't see the subject matter being appropriate for such a mass audience.

Any other opinions from the peanut gallery?