Sign in to follow this  
littlegreenghouls

Dark Horizon.

I read about this a few weeks ago.  From the site:

The creators, producers, and directors of one of the most terrifying haunts in the world, The Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor introduce the first West Coast-style haunt in the East - Dark Horizon!

Dark Horizon emerges in Orlando with much anticipation, to feast upon your fears, fray your nerves, and curdle your blood. Escape the clutches of one of Florida’s most infamous serial killer’s, Bloody Ed Watson. Navigate Captain Killigrew’s ship and her deviously mad crew, and wade past the Vodou Priestess before she has a chance to evoke the (Lwa) spirits to possess your body and steal your soul. Hundreds of heinous monsters await to drag you toward the event horizon. Thrill-seekers will revel in 16 nights of terror featuring three gruesome haunted houses, immersive bars, festive fare, death-defying entertainment and more! Brought to you by some of the most celebrated minds in the industry, don’t miss Dark Horizon, the Halloween event of the season.

I find the phrase "the first West Coast-style haunt in the East" humorous.

Having been to haunts all over the country and if I could magically teleport to a random haunt, there is no instance where I could say with certainty "THIS is a West Coast haunt".  I couldn't begin to tell you what a "West Coast haunt" is, other than over here we call them mazes instead of houses.  Perhaps they think a "West Coast style haunt" features soy milk and avocado toast as food..

On the contrary, there are plenty of non West Coast haunts that would be impossible to have in So Cal.  For instance, you can find a lot of "haunted trails" all over the midwest and in Florida.  We don't have the space out here for such things.  Likewise, hayrides can be found everywhere outside of California, with the exception of the LA Hayride.

That being said, Dark Harbor has found a way to distinguish itself from other haunts due to its location.  You have this giant permanently docked ship with a small "village" in front that is comprised of a bunch of shops.  That area of shops would normally be a midway for the event, but they are re-purposed for haunted houses.  So the designers still needed something to serve as a midway for the event.  Their answer was to create a gigantic party atmosphere - carnival rides, food trucks, dance floors, LOTS of opulent outdoor bars, and some hidden bars that you needed to search for.  That is quite unique in terms of other So Cal haunts.  Dark Harbor's houses are nothing to write home about.  They are not as good as Knotts houses.  I'd say they are on the level of the current Howl O Scream houses.

Assuming they were able to bring the same midway experience over to Orlando, I think folks will like it, but be prepared to be disappointed by the houses.  Scream-A-Geddon has a decent party atmosphere with a large midway, and fun houses.   Dark Harbor's midway pales in comparison to what House of Shock offered when it still existed, and what Haunted Hoochie (Dead Acres) offers today.  Those were intense, with shock torture shows and death metal bands.

Someone needs to go to Dark Horizon and post a lengthy review!