Jump to content
mz_

HHN 29: Depths of Fear

Recommended Posts

 
Depths of Fear

 

Descend Into Terror in Depths of Fear at Halloween Horror Nights

MAY 21, 2019

If you have a fear of water and what lies beneath, your skin will crawl with this new haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights. Depths of Fear mixes all the elements of the unknown with underwater elements, monstrous creatures and a countdown to a disastrous fate.

 

Story

The workers of a deep-sea mining company have found themselves in a dire situation. They’ve delved too deep and encountered a parasitic race of creatures that turn out to be deadly. Panic ensues as you find yourself encountering infected miners and acidic creatures. The pressure builds as the self-destruct sequence counts down to the inevitable implosion of the facility. 

“Mouthbrooders”

As you venture further into the depths, you’ll encounter the creatures known only as the “Mouthbrooders.” Picture being trapped in a claustrophobic mining installation underwater with a countless number of these slithering monsters. Your worst nightmares will come to life as these fiends spew flesh-eating acidic eggs at human hosts, and you witness miners being driven mad by the infection.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very interesting....not sure what I had envisioned during speculation but it wasn't this, just kept thinking they would re-create Knott's The Depths house. Not saying negatively just legit not what I had thought at all would be the story. This house feels like such a wild card to me, I am eager to see how it turns out I'm genuinely curious whats the end result! It sounds like a really cool concept and unique, very eager!

Edited by Rikku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the story description, it sounds very much like The Depths at Knotts.  That's not a knock, as The Depths is a really good house.

 

 

 

Here is Knott's description:

The Depths — "A heavy fog drapes over an abandoned port village where ancient creatures lurk inside the pitch-black underground caves hidden below the seaside shores. The Nightwatch Mining Crew has mysteriously disappeared and village rumors point to the eerie tunnels the town sits upon. Myths of the terrifying horrors that lurk within the cave have often been whispered but never confirmed. Did the crew meet their demise at the hand of vicious creatures that live within the cave? Journey into the dark caverns and follow the crew’s path into The Depths and discover if the superstition revolving around the cave is true or not. But be warned! All who have entered have never resurfaced."

Although it starts in a mine, thematically it goes everywhere, ending underwater.

 

On another level, the HHN house has an Interstellar Terror ring to it, albeit in an underwater vessel instead of in space.  Universal describes an infestation (IT was a contamination), miners being driven mad by the infection (crew was driven mad in IT), and a self-destruct sequence on the installation (IT had a self-destruct sequence on a space vessel).  Same story, different setting.  But it's not like we've never seen this film many times before.

 

Very much looking forward to this

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An underwater version of Interstellar Terror? Sign me up!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOMA plus The Abyss/Leviathan plus Dead Space?

 

Take me to the river, wash me in the water!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Facebook someone commented “Rapture is that you?” and I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner! If this is HHN’s love letter and closest house we will ever get to a Bioshock house then my hype and love for this house is already through the roof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rikku said:

On Facebook someone commented “Rapture is that you?” and I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner! If this is HHN’s love letter and closest house we will ever get to a Bioshock house then my hype and love for this house is already through the roof. 

Saws and Steam: Into the Machine was a Bioshock house.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The teaser video for Hollywood's upcoming Jurassic World ride shows a screen with the mosasaurus. Do you think this house will have something similar where a creature swims up on a screen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap how hard it is having to decide between this and Nightingales as my new #1 most anticipated...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kablue said:

The teaser video for Hollywood's upcoming Jurassic World ride shows a screen with the mosasaurus. Do you think this house will have something similar where a creature swims up on a screen?

HHN has used screens in a number of houses.  Certainly could do it here, and it would make good sense to do so.  Scary Tales mermaid scene used screens effectively, but I did not care for the seaweed partitions to simulate underwater - that was pretty clumsy. 

 

Looking back, the mermaid area sure seemed like a test run for this house, eh?  It was my least favorite part of Scary Tales, but now it suddenly makes sense...

 

 

And puppets.  I predict a huge number of puppets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, zombieman said:

HHN has used screens in a number of houses.  Certainly could do it here, and it would make good sense to do so.  Scary Tales mermaid scene used screens effectively, but I did not care for the seaweed partitions to simulate underwater - that was pretty clumsy. 

 

Looking back, the mermaid area sure seemed like a test run for this house, eh?  It was my least favorite part of Scary Tales, but now it suddenly makes sense...

 

 

And puppets.  I predict a huge number of puppets.

I went through Scary Tales two or three times last year and really enjoyed it, but for some reason can't remember anything about the mermaid area except the seaweed. I guess that part of the house wasn't that memorable to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, zombieman said:

And puppets.  I predict a huge number of puppets.

I can also predict puppets will be the mouthbrooders, however to keep expectations in check, I'm not expecting a whole lot of them. Legacy has elsewhere mentioned that everything he's heard about the house makes it sound more akin to Interstellar Terror and Havoc with the infected/crazed crew members being the main scare. After all, Man is the most terrifying creature of all, especially in close quarters set to blow. That and the Michael Aiello tweet says the crew are "Hosts" for the creatures.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wanted to see them go back to this type of story and if it's like how I remembered Interstellar Terror being like, sign me up, very very excited this house next to Nightingales :) 2 ips down, 2 Originals down!!! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, zombieman said:

HHN has used screens in a number of houses.  Certainly could do it here, and it would make good sense to do so.  Scary Tales mermaid scene used screens effectively, but I did not care for the seaweed partitions to simulate underwater - that was pretty clumsy. 

 

Looking back, the mermaid area sure seemed like a test run for this house, eh?  It was my least favorite part of Scary Tales, but now it suddenly makes sense...

 

 

And puppets.  I predict a huge number of puppets.

 The thing about the mermaid scene was those mask weren't actor friendly and didn't look like Mermaids, but more like poisionish  lion fish. 
 Same with the amazonian women from planet hell kind of looked like frogs. 

I think this might be most puppets in single house. 
 I think this could be really cool. 
 Since this is Charles Gray's original house. I loved his past work, Doll house of the damned, Carnival graveyard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, kablue said:

I went through Scary Tales two or three times last year and really enjoyed it, but for some reason can't remember anything about the mermaid area except the seaweed. I guess that part of the house wasn't that memorable to me.

 

I went through Scary Tales 5-6 times last year and I remember the scare actors but NO details about what they looked like. That whole room was lost on me, I didn't even get it was supposed to be under water till someone explained it to me after. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like after re-reading Michael Aiello's tweet about this house, the inspiration came from Deep Star Six, Leviathan and Lords Of The Deep, funny enough that all three films came out in 1989, definitely give all three a watch to see what could be taken from these films and brought into the house for sure. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about now also I wonder if they'll be reusing molds from the Sculder creatures from The Spawning for this house as well lol, I mean even though the house wasn't good, I mean the creature looked sorta cool, would love to see it make a cameo in the house. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, littlegreenghouls said:

 The thing about the mermaid scene was those mask weren't actor friendly and didn't look like Mermaids, but more like poisionish  lion fish. 
 Same with the amazonian women from planet hell kind of looked like frogs. 

I think this might be most puppets in single house. 
 I think this could be really cool. 
 Since this is Charles Gray's original house. I loved his past work, Doll house of the damned, Carnival graveyard. 

24 was his first year, right? Does anyone know what his houses from 25-27 were?

 

From this article it sounds like his maze for 27 was DW.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

24 was his first year, right? Does anyone know what his houses from 25-27 were?

 

From this article it sounds like his maze for 27 was DW.

I believe that there is 2-3 houses the creative directors are over charge for. 
I am not sure, but I could maybe ask him if he is going to be at my Saturday Job, I already confessed how this person made me feel. It was awkward mainly for me. 
  I know for fact that he was apart of Body collections of 25. 26? I think Ghost town and something else? 

 I want to see this house to have an effect heavy house to be honest. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will I need a poncho just for this house? Underwater? Creatures spewing acid/eggs on you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, faceleg said:

Will I need a poncho just for this house? Underwater? Creatures spewing acid/eggs on you?

I wore a raincoat for going through Poltergeist. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing Aiello's tweet, I'm very excited into entering this house, I would love to do the Unmasking The Horror tour this year to go through this house because I feel like they're going to have a lot of nifty stuff, a lot of awesome details. I hope they give us though some teaser pictures, maybe when they put out merch and have one of the merch being displayed on someone in this house or something. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I’m not excited at all for this house but I’m going to go in it with a open mind and hopefully it surprises me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...