Sign in to follow this  
Kurseddragon

California's Great America Halloween Haunt 2018

I know like maybe two people here care about this haunt, but since I'm working it again, I felt I may as well post something.

There's two new things this year compared to last year. One's a new maze, one's a new scarezone. One of a long-time running maze will not be there anymore.

Idk if I should post them or not. But maybe. I'm sure you'll find out soon if it's not already somewhere on the internet.

I'll be in the new maze as a 'child.' Because both my personality and my stature is that of a child. 

I didn't wanna do scarezones because their break scheduling sucks. A lot.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:41 PM, Kurseddragon said:

I know like maybe two people here care about this haunt, but since I'm working it again, I felt I may as well post something.

There's two new things this year compared to last year. One's a new maze, one's a new scarezone. One of a long-time running maze will not be there anymore.

Idk if I should post them or not. But maybe. I'm sure you'll find out soon if it's not already somewhere on the internet.

I'll be in the new maze as a 'child.' Because both my personality and my stature is that of a child. 

I didn't wanna do scarezones because their break scheduling sucks. A lot.

Guessing Toy Factory or Cornstalkers is biting the dust. Toy Factory was amazing last year and the only house where I got legit scared, felt like something at HHN. Constalkers is fun but was severely understaffed all last year, same with Zombie High(but that’s always a dud IMO except for the Prom and Bungee scene). 

Is the new house an Orphanage or School or something like that? I really hope it’ll be the Scary Tales zone from last year

So basically the house lineup is:

- Chaos House

- Madame Marie’s Massacre Manor

- Backwoods(AWFUL maze last year; never got a good run through and was really corny but the set design was amazing)

- Roadkill Roadhouse

- New Maze

- Zombie High

- Cornstalkers or Toy Factory

- Wax Museum 

* ik it sounds like I hated last year but it’s always a ton of fun, just wish they had more staff. 

On 7/20/2018 at 4:15 PM, wow said:

Guessing Toy Factory or Cornstalkers is biting the dust. Toy Factory was amazing last year and the only house where I got legit scared, felt like something at HHN. Constalkers is fun but was severely understaffed all last year, same with Zombie High(but that’s always a dud IMO except for the Prom and Bungee scene). 

Is the new house an Orphanage or School or something like that? I really hope it’ll be the Scary Tales zone from last year

So basically the house lineup is:

- Chaos House

- Madame Marie’s Massacre Manor

- Backwoods(AWFUL maze last year; never got a good run through and was really corny but the set design was amazing)

- Roadkill Roadhouse

- New Maze

- Zombie High

- Cornstalkers or Toy Factory

- Wax Museum 

* ik it sounds like I hated last year but it’s always a ton of fun, just wish they had more staff. 

Guess I'll just say the new stuff since, whatevz.

Toy Factory is gone is replaced with Tooth Fairy. 

Whatever the scarezone outside of Demon was is replaced with Reepers (I think they spelled it like that).

And funny, I was in the prom scene at Zombie High last year. Although I ended up just walking around the entire maze at some point and hung around the exit as well toward the end.

Glad to see Toy Factory getting the boot as its about time, that maze hasn't been good since like 2010. Also I gotta agree Backwoods was a big let down I never got a single good scare once in there and the bungee scene was unused. Same with Zombie High that maze hasn't been good the last couple years each time I went through it in 2017 literally there was no one manning the bungee scene which is the highlight of the maze what a disappointment. I just hope CGA finds a way to hire more scareactors because thats their biggest issue not enough people to fill out mazes and youll walk through entire scenes often with no one in them especially in like Cornstalkers where half the maze or more is empty. I know Madame Marie's is getting some love with the Blackout effect added to it which should breathe some new life into that maze but did the people in charge mention some of the other old mazes getting any improvements at all? Also did they mention how come they scrapped skeleton key rooms this year?  @Kurseddragon

8 hours ago, Hatchet said:

Glad to see Toy Factory getting the boot as its about time, that maze hasn't been good since like 2010. Also I gotta agree Backwoods was a big let down I never got a single good scare once in there and the bungee scene was unused. Same with Zombie High that maze hasn't been good the last couple years each time I went through it in 2017 literally there was no one manning the bungee scene which is the highlight of the maze what a disappointment. I just hope CGA finds a way to hire more scareactors because thats their biggest issue not enough people to fill out mazes and youll walk through entire scenes often with no one in them especially in like Cornstalkers where half the maze or more is empty. I know Madame Marie's is getting some love with the Blackout effect added to it which should breathe some new life into that maze but did the people in charge mention some of the other old mazes getting any improvements at all? Also did they mention how come they scrapped skeleton key rooms this year?  @Kurseddragon

They struggle hiring because people quit. I obviously don't know facts and only worked there one year but it felt like more than half the people in the mazes by the end of the season were new hires lol. Even then, the new hires quit. And they hire pretty much everyone as far as I'm concerned, apart from the obvious ones who wouldn't work. I'm sure they expect people to quit and all, but like. Damn. They need new management tbh, because the two 15s and a 30 for this job is ridiculous per night. I know other places have it worse and even Universal had been worse in the past but like. If you want people to stay, make adjustments.. it's just poorly managed.  But maybe I'm just spoiled after working at Horror Nights first. Idk. I'd help them run it if they hired me lol. 

Anyway. I didn't even know they got rid of skeleton key. Maybe not making enough money. Not popular enough. Requires separate auditions and whatnot. Probably hard to recast at CGa. I'm just guessing though. 

And no, they didn't mention any revamping of old mazes. Just said they were there again and that the scarezone and tooth fairy was new. And I love doing new shit even if it ends up sucking. 

Although I'm glad I didn't end up in chaos house or I would've died from that mess. 

I worked Haunt at CGA for like 4 weeks in 2013. I started the second week so i could go to Horror Nights and Knott's that first week. I only worked in a scare zone one night and they wouldn't let me get a facial prosthetic because i started late and running around all night in a sweaty full rubber mask was brutal so I moved over to a blackout for a $1 less an hour in Cornstalkers and I enjoyed myself much more. At this point I was basically being paid to stand there and watch people get scared lol. I remember like you said the breaking scheduling being shitty in the scare zones and I had to push my supervisor to let me take my last break because he forgot to break me. If I lived in LA though I would totally love to work for Horror Nights but I'm in the Bay Area so I don't see that ever happening.

More info for the one or two people who care:

Did preview night last night. Tooth Fairy is actually kinda good? It's real dark. I don't like how many objects that CGA puts in the middle of the floors, but whatever. 

They said they wanted to try a shit ton of stuff for this maze. They have a crawling area, and a specific floor at the end (I haven't seen it used yet, though). But overall, it's good for a CGA maze. Idk anything about the Knott's maze, but from what I was told, it has very few similarities to that one; so it's its own thing.

Also was told during orientation that Toy Factory would probably come back since the person who runs the event loved the maze so much. So idk.