Sign in to follow this  
WESKER69

WB Studio Tour Hollywood 2018 - "Horror Made Here: A Festival of Frights"

Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood

RHV7r1q.jpg

This Halloween season, get ready for the most terrifying event in Hollywood with the return of Horror Made Here: A Festival of Frights. We’re transforming the iconic backlot into a bone-chilling experience where some of Warner Bros.' greatest horror movies and interactive entertainment will come alive. This year’s event will host even more dark mazes, scare zones, horror-themed activities, and plenty of food and drinks available throughout our creepy carnival.  

WB STUDIO TOUR HAUNT EVENT <-----CLICK HERE

Two Announced Mazes:  Stephen King's "IT" & DC's "Arkham Asylum"

ZhjQaPM.jpg

MORE DETAILS COMING SOON....

• Like 2

Ghouls, please leave a review if you go.

I may go myself (never visited the WB studios).  

I know they had the It experience last year, but this looks like the first year that they are referring to "dark mazes".

This can only be good for us.  

Raise that bar for HHN.  Maybe we'd see fewer black plywood hallways...

EDIT.  Hollywood Gothique reviewed their 2017 offering, and I was wrong.

Last year they had their own tram tour and three "houses":

Neibolt house, which was the same thing that the It preview had in LA

Nightmare on Elm Street, which was said to be too short and not especially good.

The Conjuring, was was presented as a guided tour.

So it looks like they dipped their toe in the water last year and may be jumping in the deep end this year!

Two years ago, they presented the "horror made here" studio tour... last year, added the extras... this year will be a full blown haunt event.

And yes, this is a direct middle finger to Universal considering it is literally in their own backyard. Also raises some questions about certain WB IPs people expected to see at HHN this year or future years..

Its nice to see us FINALLY get that Arkham Asylum maze. Remember, WB already tested the DC waters at Fright Fest the past few years with the Suicide Squad. So it'll be cool to see what they do with this.

Another thing you have to keep in mind with them going full haunt.... they have an advantage HHN Hollywood doesn't... soundstages...

• Like 1

I wonder how much the price would be ? 

I wouldn't mind 60 bucks for good houses. 
 I heard the It house is like last year house but scarier is awesome. I was kind scared from the online walkthrough Hollywood house. 

Midsummer Scream

Horror Made Here: A Festival of Frights presentation

Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood gives a sneak peek of their Halloween event

Sunday - July 29th (1:30 PM - 2:30 PM)

epQpjwI.jpg

EVENT DATES: OCTOBER 5-6, 12-14, 18-21, 25, 28

CLICK THIS LINK TO SEE THE HORROR

8hPfJ9m.jpg

MAZES:

- IT: Knows What Scares You

- Arkham: Escape From Arkham Asylum

- The Conjuring Universe

- Nightmare on Camp Crystal Lake + Horror Studio Tour

ATTRACTIONS:

- The Exorcist: Forbidden Screening (4D Experience)

- STAGE 48: Script To Scream (Tim Burton Exhibit)

- Lost Boys Arcade

- True Blood "Fangtasia" Bar

- Devil's Drop Tower Ride

EXTRAS:

- Little Shop of Horrors (event giftshop)

- Live Entertainment

• Like 1

For the record.... the lady that was part of the panel. She used to help with Queen Mary's Dark Harbor. This isn't new territory for her.

Also keep in mind, A LOT of the horror movies were filmed on the Warner Bros backlot. A LOT of them. They're going to utilize that.

• Like 1

Five houses - WB is all-in. I wonder if they will announce even more.  Tickets go on sale tomorrow and I will definitely attend with my daughter.  

I still have no desire to go to Plywood City (a.k.a. HHN Hollywood) this year other than to confirm once again how much better Orlando's is.

And it sounds like WB is going to start protecting their IP from use by other haunts (namely HHN), which further shows they are suddenly serious about Halloween.  This can only mean great things for everyone (but Murdy).  It may force HHN Hollywood to start doing some originals.   With WB literally next door to HHN, look for some serious amping up from both events in 2019.

It's actually 3 mazes. The Freddy/Jason thing is like Terror Tram '06/scarezone drop off area somewhere mid-tour, not much of a guided maze. And The Exorcist is just a screening of the film. Either way, the 3 mazes sound cool and so does the tour!

• Like 1

Its not exactly a screening of The Exorcist, but 8-10mins of the best scenes with "in theatre" effects. Basically.... Shrek 4D, but with The Exorcist :lol:

In other news, the advance ticket sales today have pretty much wiped out the "Loser Club VIP" ticket option. More might be available tomorrow, but we'll see. The price is $169

Regular ticket prices: $76-79 depending on the night you go.

That is TOO steep of a ticket price for me to jump on this. May have to just wait for reviews. Absolutely silly to be more expensive than HHN, or even same price.

$39-59 would've made them seem like a great alternative that's much cheaper. Also, considering that's what Knotts is priced as, which has the most haunted attractions AND rides between HHN and WB COMBINED.

@DTH316 Keep in mind, the major difference between HHN, Knotts etc... and the new WB haunt is that they aren't catering to the masses. They are giving you an exclusive opportunity to "party on the backlot" & NOT have to deal with conga lines for mazes. Also, the event isn't trying to be a cheap haunt. To be fair, the price isn't that much different from their normal daytime Studio Tour... So I have no issue with the price.

The regular Studio Tour is 40 for SoCal residents... A $19 upgrade for 3 mazes and some extra pizazz is worth it (opening night). A $34-39 upgrade is practically a Knotts ticket, I don't care about "exclusive opportunities," I want a HAUNT!!!

You do realize that the haunt itself IS the exclusive opportunity. And you're getting more than only 3 mazes. You should be grateful & thankful WB is providing this new alternative to the other haunts. And guess what? The more successful, the more they will be inclined to do because the higher ups that control their budget see that it was worth it.

Again, the regular studio tour doesn't exist to cater to locals, its for the tourists who are in awe of the Hollywood set/backlot life. So the price is very reasonable for this event. If you expect to pay $10, expect shitty quality & a one-and-done event.

But if we pay $80 and get a shitty quality event not on par to two other major Haunts within an hour radius that are cheaper, IT'LL BE A ONE-AND-DONE EVENT.

Start modest and work your way up. HHN did it right. KSF knew when to go high and when to scale back their prices. Disney (although a completely different market) can pay insane prices because they also started relatively low and people now know it's worth it. Queen Mary has all sorts of deals, most notably the early bird deals -- they could be a much bigger event if their maze quality was at least better than Knotts, but it's only on par, so between the two, a reasonable person chooses the rides. Fright Fest fails because they don't want to become a hard ticketed event and don't put in enough effort or budget. The wristbands probably don't allocate enough of that money to maze quality and even during Halloween, people are still focused on the rides. They stay afloat because they're Six Flags and might as well do a Halloween event -- they're not even open on freakin' Halloween and the park is literally open 365 now -- there's no excuses not to do their Haunt that day.

WB is in danger of being "that bougie Haunt" and will push away a lot of people with their prices. Even something niche like Delusion, which sells out every night MONTHS in advance at high prices, can't stay open the whole season or ends up missing a year, but I bet if they had more people flowing in conga style (which would then ruin the entire point of what they're going for), they'd be more sustainable and afloat.

A normal person isn't talking to their friend about how it's such a cool exclusive opportunity to be on WB backlot -- they've been going to Universal for the past decade, that's nothing new to them. They're going to want a quality Haunt. And if WB has that, they want people to see it, so they'll need to lower their prices or die. Period.

The ticket price is seriously not that high. I don't know why you expect it to be practically free. You are expecting & wanting way too much, not to mention failing with your logic by comparing the theme park haunts. In case you missed it, LA Haunted Hayride is the shittiest event in the area, yet they charge $30 & up for the crappiest quality... But hey, even that keeps returning year after year. The difference... WB has a better team & a bigger budget. And considering they were charging nearly the same amount (or a little less) last year without going full haunt, they will be just fine. If you don't want to cough up the $$$, someone else will. 

Oh & btw, No, HHN didn't do it right. Their first year they killed one of their scareactors.

You literally just proved my point.

Haunted Hayride is cheap and that's why they're hella popular. They've expanded from just a hayride to also mazes on the side. They can increase their prices over the next few years, increase their popularity and quality at the same time -- they're staying afloat perfectly. They're arguably a much smaller known name than WB as well, but people know Haunted Hayride for it's Halloween festivities and people go in droves every year. I'd bet money that more people will go to that than they will to WB this year, even with all their IPs.

And hardly anyone went to WB last year, you can barely find reviews or videos on it. Even their panel had small applause to anything they said because the fanbase is very, very low. And the people who did go will say it was ALRIGHT at best. Even YOU said NOT TO COMPARE the two because "this year" will be different. Even if last year was the same price, this year is supposed to be their "proof is in the pudding." How is $39-59 "practically free?" Tons of haunts have this price point for even more attractions. Very basic supply & demand. If WB can't sustain itself with that market point, nobody freakin' asked them to be a Haunt, and if they fail, well than that's their fault (I KNOW I KNOW, "OMG YOU CANT COMPARE TO LAST YEAR, YOU CAN'T COMPARE TO HHN OR OTHER HAUNTS, ITS AN EXCLUSIVE VERY SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY, YOU SHOULD BE ON YOUR KNEES AND KISSING WB'S ASS, YOU SHOULD BE SO GRATEFUL, NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING WB DOES CAN POSSIBLY BE WRONG, THEY ARE PERFECT, ALL HAIL WB FOR DOING US THIS FAVOR AND LET US GRACE OUR EYES ON THEIR EVENT").

I don't have to pay, but you're wrong that enough "someone else's will" because every business is fallible. Even Disneyland will shut its doors one day - which had epic failure in the beginning and only succeeded because the very idea of the park was a pure phenomena. Give it another 30 years (not when they CLOSE, but when things start to decline, STAY WITH ME HERE, I know it's tough for you to grasp concepts) when enough kids of kids who didn't go today don't hold the same nostalgia to care to take their kids in the future... It's all about sticking the landing and WB HAS TO. Just like Knotts did. Just like HHN did.

And why the hell even compare HHN when it wasn't even HHN yet, we are CLEARLY talking about post-hiatus. '06 and up. The modern Haunt era. The events that made HHN what it is today. HHN was a shit-show prior to that, no doubt about it, to the point it's irrelevant. However, even they didn't charge crazy ass prices to get in. But we could talk about the other coast, because Orlando is removed enough to say it did it on it's own without Hollywood's help or disservice. And today, it's known as THE Haunt in all of the United States by many, many people because of how it popped on the scene and kept climbing.

The best example I can think of is Eli Roth's Goretorium. Too pricey and nobody cared, even with it's decent quality. Closed within a year or two and nobody misses it. People just kept on going to FearDome because it was cheaper and consistent.

Anyway, this is my final correspondence pre-WB opening on the matter. Nothing you say holds weight, and plenty are annoyed with your self-important attitude on just about every topic. Especially when all of us are just saying "it's expensive, we hope it's good" and nobody has outright said "this is going to suck!" You've been very defensive about it for no reason. You hated HHN last year yet went through mazes upwards of 50+. Can't trust the opinions or ideas of a man who has clearly gone mad lol. Next you're gonna say that Fright Fest is going to be good this year. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

DTH, take a breath

My following comments are only based on your comments because that's all I choose to read.

Given that Haunted Hayride is running many more nights than WB, and that we don't know the ticket cap of WB, probably a safe bet that Hayride will be seen by many more eyes than WB.

We don't know WB capacity last year.  Maybe they sold out many nights and we didn't know.  I agree there weren't many reviews posted, but does that mean everyone ignored it?

(Remember, I'm ignoring the posts that you're getting irate about - but I probably would be getting annoyed myself)

I really don't know where you're going with the next part, but I went to HHN pre-2006, and it was better than many of the post 2006 years.  It was relevant back then, had sold out nights, lots of shows, and big names behind houses.  Murdy brought it back and did some cool things over the years, but it's been the same thing for the past five+ years.  The scares have not evolved.  Stuck in a rut.  Pre-2006 was anything but a shit show, I can assure you.  Most of the houses were in soundstages.  2000 was its last year because of the clientele that was attending - gang bangers and fights were common at the event.  Which is also why it was a dry event.  It didn't stop because the lack of quality.  I don't think you went those years, so careful about making assumptions without evidence.

In my opinion Goretorium was not overpriced for a Vegas strip attraction.  The primary reason it closed was that the actors and builders were stiffed.  The owners (Eli Roth was just one of them) had relationships that imploded.  Everything ended in lawsuits.  Goretorium was not a big attraction for Joe six pack.  Joe could get a lot more bang for his buck at Fright Dome, with lots of houses and rides (all mediocre of course).  Goretorium was for the horror wonks and those wanting to try out the latest night club at the time.  It happened to have a top notch house (that I do miss).

I will go to WB and will give my thoughts.  Truly hoping it will blow me away.  Worth it?  Who knows.  I'm the guy who had no reservations about buying tickets to The Willows and Delusion for close to $100 a pop.  I'm said  horror wonk.

I pieced together my thoughts about WB based on what I have been able to ascertain from reviews, advertising, rumors, etc.

I was wrong when I thought it had more houses than it does (thanks for that correction)

Based on the actual number of houses, the regular gate price seems ok to me.  This is based on a promise from them - that there will not be conga lines.  That's a biggie.  To me, no conga lines means less thruput which must necessitate fewer tickets sold, which leads to high ticket price.  I was pretty peeved when you broke the news that Loser's Club was one entry per house, so I had an instantaneous leaning that the event was overpriced.  While I still think the VIP is overpriced, GA is ok with me.

Only a few weeks away.  Let's see what happens.  Whaddya say  - let's go shit on HHN Hollywood marketing.

• Like 1

"No conga lines" could also mean slow moving lines, I don't think they mentioned it being an intimate or low capacity haunt during the Midsummer panel right? 

13 minutes ago, Alucarda said:

"No conga lines" could also mean slow moving lines, I don't think they mentioned it being an intimate or low capacity haunt during the Midsummer panel right? 

Tickets will be limited for each night. Think of Mickey's Halloween Party where its only a __________ number of tickets sold. They don't want it packed full like HHN or an at capacity theme park. The no conga lines doesn't mean slow moving lines... other haunts do the same. Its called "pulsing". You let _____ number of people go inside. Wait _______ minutes before letting in the next group. It works out just fine.

And honestly, people willingly wait 2-3+hours for mazes and/or rides.

14 hours ago, Alucarda said:

I have not listened to the panel yet, but someone mentioned that they promised no conga lines.  

That inherently leads to slow queues.

It then is left to WB to decide if they have 4 hour queues or sell fewer tickets (or resort to conga lines).

So I was not totally correct to say that "no conga lines" necessitates fewer tickets sold.  They could decide to be bastards and just make queues unbearable.

Also just to throw it out there - they can heavily pulse people to avoid the conga lines, but in turn they need to maintain the spacing inside the maze.  I've seen a lot of houses that do a great pulsing job outside, but then they have some room that always results in a backup, and is a conga line from then on.

Again, the event is NOT going to be selling tickets like HHN where they want the park at capacity. It will be limited like Disney does with their Halloween event. Which allows guests to enjoy the event without 5 hour waittimes.

Also, WB even said that the queue for the mazes will be part of the overall experience. They will be interactive. They're even going to have "scareactor plants" for the different experiences. Translation: That was not a random guest infront/behind you, that was a scareactor victim to add to the intensity. <---highlight

The queue for "IT" will be on the streets of Derry to immerse you into the environment even before you enter the maze itself.

• Like 1