Sign in to follow this  
hgwy407

Queen Mary Dark Harbor On Sale Now

For those interested in the event, I personally love it, tickets went on sale today. Special discount code is SURPRISE. And so it begins....happy haunts!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, littlegreenghouls said:

I was thinking about going to this instead of knott's 

it looks decent.   

what can I look forward too?

I used to go to Queen Mary every year.  It's gone through many iterations.  Most recently went for the first two years since it was branded as Dark Harbor.  

Expect some really truly long mazes.  Most are actually on board, in the bowels of the ship.  If that sounds neat - it is.  You really go through the engine room, prop shaft room, and places you don't normally go in the day.

That said, there are lots of long hallways with plywood walls.  Every doorway is a ship door, so you step over a ledge and they have lots of padding so you don't bump your head.  The engine room has most everything under padding and cobwebs like you see at Knotts.  So it's like being on a child-proofed ship.  You are, after all, walking around in the dark.  

Each maze was decently detailed, but in no way to the level of HHN.  Or even recent Knott's houses.  Dark Harbor reminded me of the old OLD days of Knotts Haunt if you were around.  I'm talking early 2000s.

There are not a lot of boo-holes on a ship, so they have to construct most of their hiding places, and it becomes kinda obvious what will happen and where.  Each maze ends with a big finale room where something high tech happens.  The mazes are really formulaic in this manner.  They used to have a completely black maze in the Spruce Goose dome.  Then they replaced it with a chain link maze.  Not sure what they do anymore, because Carnival Cruise Line now uses the dome, and supposedly they are expanding there in 2018, so this year might be a bit of a change for Dark Harbor.  Queen Mary has (used to have?) a very big old fashioned marketplace in front of it.  They used to create a MASSIVE maze back in the day that went through every single building.  Seemed to go on for 20 minutes.  That (to me) was the premier portion of the attraction, because you had these individual separate rooms and buildings where they could do anything.   The actors scream a lot.  Expect shaker cans.  

The "theme" of the event is that they have a number of icon-type characters that roam around.  Think of these as mascots.  They are very interactive with people and even put on little impromptu shows when the come across each other.  At one point, I think they tried to have a maze represent every character.  It looks like they add a new character every year, with the main character being a "ringmaster".

People complain a lot about parking.  One year they were charging something like $40 to park your car.  No joke.  There were practically riots and they stopped that quick.  So Google around to see what current policy is.  I think that the express wristband is a must.  You can buy it once there as an add-on, but once you are past the gates you can't go back and get one.  So decide if it looks crowded or not.  They only have one scarezone, and it's a big one.  It's basically all parts of the grounds outside the ship and marketplace.  That includes all of the food areas and lounge areas.  I think they also have some carnival type rides these days.

One thing I did not like (and not sure if they do it anymore) is that they used to BLAST death metal in every single maze from beginning to end.  I mean you were unable to hear for 10 minutes after you exited.  They take away your sense of hearing and that is supposed to be scary.  Maybe do it for one maze, but all?  For a clown maze?  Never made sense to me and I hope they have stopped.

Remember that as I write all of this, I have seen ownership of the haunt change 4 times.  At its lowest point, it was run by Ten Thirty One (the people who brought us Ghost Ship - Google that.  It's a great read of the worst haunt ever created.  EVER.  I went there...  Where they actively censored all negative facebook posts and threatened legal action against those who did not like it).  They somehow managed to secure a Shark Tank deal, proving that Mark Cuban is not the brightest crayon in the box.  But it then found good owners who seem to care.  So if it's like it was in my most recent visit 5 years ago, I think you will really like it.  It is a good change of pace from Knotts,

Dark Harbor is a once in 4-5 year attraction, because you can go every 4 years and it will seem new (they do not retire mazes often)

Knotts is a once in 3 year attraction, as they now have few mazes that push 5 years.

If you like HHN and Knotts, I say definitely try Dark Harbor.  I'd even say try Six Flags Fright Fest - if you have never been.  

Dark Harbor has huge discounts for early birds, so check the site for deals.

"Dark Harbor reminded me of the old OLD days of Knotts Haunt if you were around.  I'm talking early 2000s." LMAO over this, and not in a bad way, but to hear the old days and the 2000's mentioned is hilarious to a guy who has been going to Knott's Scary Farm since day one in the 70's. I love it and thanks for making me smile this morning.

On 6/20/2018 at 7:16 PM, zombieman said:

At its lowest point, it was run by Ten Thirty One (the people who brought us Ghost Ship - Google that.  It's a great read of the worst haunt ever created.  EVER.  I went there...  Where they actively censored all negative facebook posts and threatened legal action against those who did not like it).  They somehow managed to secure a Shark Tank deal, proving that Mark Cuban is not the brightest crayon in the box.  But it then found good owners who seem to care.

Funny story about TenThirtyOne... (first of all, i skimmed that article, but not surprised by what i read)... so in 2015, I saw a scareactor audition ad for LA Haunted Hayride. The event had a cool looking logo & the map made it seem like a decent haunt event :unsure: So before I passed the audition process & got cast, I did a quick brief interview for a "STAFF" position as well just in case I didn't make the cut. That is where the epic lies began. The dude doing the interview hyped the shit out of the LA Haunted Hayride event & got me all excited. :wacko: It was complete trash....

So my "costume" fitting was at a storage space in Glendale. They didn't exactly have a wardrobe that fit. They said they'd take jeans & stuff in for a better fit. :rolleyes: Didn't happen. I ended up having to use a safety pin to make the pants fit. On top of that, they did NOT wash these costumes every night like other haunts would. So if you sweat a lot that night, guess what? by the time the weekend was over, your costume would smell rank.

As for the haunt itself... ugh. Only 2 "rehearsal" days. However, that first rehearsal day consisted of nothing outside of seeing the different maze locations & whatnot. But thats not even the best part. The event started THAT weekend and NOTHING was even remotely close to being completed. Worse than what we've seen at HHN with last minute stuff. I wish I had taken pics because it was mind-blowingly beyond amateur hour. The maze I was cast in was "Trick or Treat" (not to be confused with the maze we're getting at HHN this year). It was a legit circus style picnic tent (not the quality tents we see at HHN or other haunts). Our maze was supposed to be a neighborhood consisting of front doors... You'd think John Murdy created it because it was all just plain black walls & front doors, literally one big loop around the inside of the tent with 8 doors in the center. It had an "alley" (which was my terrorory) to get to the other 4 doors.. Our maze lacked set details & scares. The worst part was, the event began in like 4 days. Our 2nd "rehearsal day" was the day before the event started and NOTHING was still finished. The entire event was pathetic. We still lacked set details except for a few minor cheap halloween decorations here/there but nothing exciting. I could've easily gone to Party City and spent about $20-30.. and it would've improved our maze 100%.

The entire event was terrible quality. The people who run it are a complete joke. Also, we were all the ONLY cast for each maze & the hayride itself. So we had no set times with someone to tag us out every 30-45mins. If you had to go to the bathroom, you had to run to the porta-potty & run back. Thats how it was every night. We didn't get breaks. It was a terrible experience. And the prices they charge for the event is ridiculous. I'll see what pics I have & make a thread.

But yea... TenThirtyOne... ugh.. OKAY NOW BACK TO DARK HARBOR

I have to say, from the perspective of someone who has been to Knott's Scary Farm every year since year one, Dark Harbor is a great compliment to the Knott's experience. It has it's own evil carnival atmosphere combined with a real haunted ship. Some of the mazes remind me of old school Knott's in their simplicity and execution. I realize that last statement is kind of vague, but there is a vibe there which reminds me of some of my earliest Knott's Haunt experiences. The VIP pass to my wife and I, are well worth it. Front of the line access to all mazes and free food and a couple of adult beverages each in a private area overlooking the event for VIP pass holders. If this year is anything last the past, the front of line is not limited to one use per maze, which is a major plus to me as I tend to want to ring out as much of a haunt as my legs will allow me, which is usually until the park closes. I travel the country every year now attending different haunts, starting with Howl O Scream in Tampa, then onto HHN Orlando and then hitting a couple of places every weekend until the end of October where we finish off our annual run with Knott's, HHN Hollywood and Dark Harbor. I have to say, Dark Harbor is now one of my favorites, and it's pretty cheap to boot. It's worth checking out for sure.

• Like 1

Midsummer Scream

Queen Mary's Dark Harbor presentation

Sunday - July 29th (12:00 PM - 1:00 PM)

• Like 1

Here is the Queen Mary panel... Lots of new surprises along with Knott's Scary Farm's "John Cooke"!!! Also a link to the Dark Harbor website since it is up now

QUEEN MARYS DARK HARBOR    <-----CLICK FOR WEBSITE & EVENT DETAILS!

On 6/28/2018 at 6:44 PM, hgwy407 said:

I travel the country every year now attending different haunts, starting with Howl O Scream in Tampa, then onto HHN Orlando and then hitting a couple of places every weekend until the end of October where we finish off our annual run with Knott's, HHN Hollywood and Dark Harbor.

I live in L.A. and still do Orlando every year also.  I used to state-hop on the way back, hitting quite a few things along the way.

Bates Motel, Edge of Hell, The Beast, Terror Behind the Walls, Jason's Woods, Scare for a Cure, Headless Horseman, Darkness, Erebus, Haunted Hoochie, Realm of Darkness, The Mortuary in New Orleans, House of Shock, 13th Gate, Necropolis, Dent Schoolhouse, Fright Dome, Netherworld, Rocky Point Haunt (RIP...), Goretorium (RIP...), and others I forget.  It's possible to hit three of these along the way, but it's difficult.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:59 PM, zombieman said:

I live in L.A. and still do Orlando every year also.  I used to state-hop on the way back, hitting quite a few things along the way.

Bates Motel, Edge of Hell, The Beast, Terror Behind the Walls, Jason's Woods, Scare for a Cure, Headless Horseman, Darkness, Erebus, Haunted Hoochie, Realm of Darkness, The Mortuary in New Orleans, House of Shock, 13th Gate, Necropolis, Dent Schoolhouse, Fright Dome, Netherworld, Rocky Point Haunt (RIP...), Goretorium (RIP...), and others I forget.  It's possible to hit three of these along the way, but it's difficult.

I knew I liked you! Living in Las Vegas Fright Dome was something we did along our travels as well. Maybe it will return, but I already kind of miss the advertisements for it as it was one of those things that reminded me the Halloween season was coming. Maybe next year, until then RIPieces Fright Dome.