1 hour ago, WESKER69 said:

They did for the final night of the event last year. And the only thing that needs to be open is 3 Broomsticks, FJ, & Hippo...

Thats one of the biggest issues with USH when it comes to HHN... The park has very few rides/attractions as it is, but then only have 4 of them open for their big event... it doesn't help that 3 out of those 4 rides are on the Lower Lot. Of course another issue is, anytime they get these big grand ideas to change the park in one way or another, they don't exactly take into account of how it affects their annual events like HHN & Grinchmas.

I don't see how opening WW affected HHN. The area is just too big to manage, it can hols some ridiculously big number of people. Plus HHN is supposed to be about the mazes, not the attractions that are open year round. People who go to HHN go for the halloween stuff, and not the rides. They opened WW on the final night as a test run to see how it would affect the Horror Nights aspect.  

As for there only being 4 rides open, it makes a hell of a lot of sense. DM is mainly targeted for small children who usually aren't at the event, and that part of the park can be used for moving props to scare zones in and around the Parisian courtyard. Makes sense to shut down DM for HHN. Shrek has the lowest guest count on the daily basis, which is why they closed it and are building the Kung Fu Panda attraction there. Even if it wasn't closed for remodeling, the amount of people going to Shrek would be too low to justify having it open during night OP's. Simpsons being open makes a lot of sense as it has one of the highest through puts, it's queue and two domes can fit a lot of people, and it's out of the way of any major scare zones. 

The lower lot has The Mummy, Jurassic Park, and Transformers open because they're very popular rides. Although the JP ride is old as hell, it's opening day counted one of if not the biggest in park guest count. People like for nostalgia reasons, AND it's the only water ride in the park. The mummy has one of the highest through puts due to it being the only roller coaster, and the ride time being extremely short. Transformers, one of the newer rides at the park, does not get a whole lot of visitors during HHN. Last year the highest wait time I saw it have was 15 minutes. However, it being right outside the entrance of Route 666 and The shinning, gives guests something to do if they think that line is too long. It too is on the popular spectrum when it comes to rides at USH. 

There are currently only Seven rides in the park (Simpsons, JP, Mummy, Transformers, DM, and Forbidden Journey and hippogrif). They keep 4 of the most popular rides open, close the two least popular rides, and close the WWoHP as a whole. It makes perfect sense to me why they would do that.  WW is not cheap to keep open, and people for the most part don't want to work there until 2:30 am. My first year working at USH i was a ride op at one of the rides that stays open during HHN. We had empty cars throughout the majority of the event hours. It sucked, we were extremely overstaffed which lead to a shortage of employees during day ops to balance out hour budgeting. 

I've wondered for a while - when HHN sells out, what is the attendance cap?  How does that "sell out" cap compare to a summer day when all the rides are open?

Where this Q comes from is that we talk about "what if they opened X during HHN", assuming that the additional ride/show would lower wait times at houses because customers would have more to do.  

But if HHN capacity is < potential park capacity, then is it not reasonable to assume that if they brought back SlaughterWorld and opened WWoHP, they would sell a correspondingly higher number of HHN tickets and our house lines would be just as long?

2 hours ago, zombieman said:

I've wondered for a while - when HHN sells out, what is the attendance cap?  How does that "sell out" cap compare to a summer day when all the rides are open?

Where this Q comes from is that we talk about "what if they opened X during HHN", assuming that the additional ride/show would lower wait times at houses because customers would have more to do.   

But if HHN capacity is < potential park capacity, then is it not reasonable to assume that if they brought back SlaughterWorld and opened WWoHP, they would sell a correspondingly higher number of HHN tickets and our house lines would be just as long?

Lat year, the most tickets we ever sold for one night was 23k. During HHN we have an attendance limit of 20k~ (I don't remember the exact number). During regular day ops, the record was set on the opening day of JP when we had well over 40k people in the park. These numbers don't mean that all 23k and 40k people were in the park at the same time, just that the overall attendance throughout the day/event were 23k for HHN and 40k+ for JP opening. 

The answer to your second question is no. The park only sold like 19k tickets on the last day when WWoHP was opened and the lines for all the mazes were the same as usual. Granted WW was only open from 11-2 or something like that. But even if they had WWoHP open throughout the entire event, they wouldn't be allowed to sell more tickets. This is why: The amount of people allowed in is determined by a fire marshal, he goes in and inspects all the mazes and he decides what the max capacity is. The way he does this is based solely off of the mazes, this is because he's only assuming that people will be in those maze queues and nowhere else.

Let's say he thinks that a maximum of 20k people would fit inside every maze queue if every guest was only in the maze queues. So he lets the park sell around 23k tickets because obviously, there would never be all 20k people in the park at the same time, and even if they were,t hey wouldn't all be ONLY in the maze queues. They'd be in some of the rides or inside the mazes themselves. So the park is allowed to sell 23k tickets  but they always oversell because math and semantics. WWoHP can hold like 12k people inside of it (I don't remember the actual number but I remember it being pretty high) so even if they opened it up and they could in theory (and I guess practice) hold an extra 12k people in there, the fire marshal doesn't care, he only cares how many people fit inside maze queues. 

5 hours ago, JonaMar said:

Plus HHN is supposed to be about the mazes, not the attractions that are open year round. People who go to HHN go for the halloween stuff, and not the rides.

Too long, didn't read. Actually I did read it... even though it was overly wordy (and thats coming from me) & boring, not too mention completely missed the point entirely.

Let me put it this way, I've been attending HHN for 12 years... I'm well aware what the event is supposed to be about & what you're supposed to go for. But again, I am not talking about the typical fanboy who goes to the event multiple times or even goes to the park multiple times throughout the year. I am referring to the average generic park guest who does NOT go to the park all the time or ever. Trust me when I say, there are people that attend HHN who have NEVER been to Universal before. I know what I'm talking about. There are also people who have been to HHN before or even go every year, but not the actual park during the daytime.

If you actually pay attention to guests at HHN, you will see that there are quite a few that don't do the mazes, they want to do the rides. Or you have the guests that do the mazes, but then want to do the rides since the maze waittimes are too long or they just want to do everything once before leaving. It doesn't matter about capacity for Shrek  or if you think DM is for small children, they are still rides/attractions that can put bodies elsewhere. And again, there are people who have never been to the park that probably would enjoy experiencing them. Of course, when it comes to either of those attractions, if they had a halloween overlay, it'd add to the daytime & hhn experience. Oh... and just FYI, "Kang & Kodos" in Orlando is the same Dumbo spinner type ride as Silly Swirly & they have had it open during HHN and people DO ride it.

I've gone with friends who have been to the park before & even though we still had TCM, Terror Tram & TWD left... they wanted to ride JP, Mummy, & Transformers. I have no problem with doing the rides at HHN, BUT ONLY AFTER you do all the mazes. Of course it also depends on waittimes. But don't fool yourself into think that EVERY guest that goes to HHN is ONLY there for the mazes/SZs. Some go to the event & are too afraid to do the mazes, so they just do the rides.

And @zombieman has an unfortunate point. Even if they were to have more things open or add a show in Waterworld & Animal Actors, sadly they'd just sell even more tickets than they already do. Universal only cares about selling more tickets than they do the overall guest experience.  There is nothing worse than a scarezone full of guests resulting in the scarezone experience being "blah".

You guys are pointlessly arguing like it'll make any difference to the actual event. It won't. Pretty much the end of story regardless of who's right or wrong.

And there can't be a show at Animal Actors. When it was used as a break room for a short time, we couldn't even touch the stage 'cause it fucks with animals during their show.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kurseddragon said:

You guys are pointlessly arguing like it'll make any difference to the actual event. It won't. Pretty much the end of story regardless of who's right or wrong.

And there can't be a show at Animal Actors. When it was used as a break room for a short time, we couldn't even touch the stage 'cause it fucks with animals during their show.

I didn't see it as arguing. Just wasn't sure why so much as having WWoHP affected HHN and Grinchmas.

1 hour ago, Kurseddragon said:

Back in the 97-2000 years of HHN they did have an animal actors show during the event... so anything is possible, if you just believe! :P

On 8/23/2017 at 10:53 AM, LetsMakeBiskuts said:

I've noticed they tend to send groups of 20 people or so at a time and space out inbetween the groups, however the main issue I see is the people in the front of the group move really slow because they're scared to move forward and that ends up holding the whole group back and eventually clogging up the maze and creating the Congo line. I guess the only way to remedy this would be to send smaller groups and space them out more, but wait times would get way longer. They could always sell less tickets but it's a money making business so they're going to cram as many people into the pro as they can.

I also usually see those people who don't want to do stuff; like in the 'Walking Dead' maze one year, a woman didn't want to walk through the semi truck with walkers in it and that held up everyone for quite a while. 

On 8/23/2017 at 1:47 PM, WESKER69 said:

Define "aliens"... like Ridley Scott/James Cameron "ALIENS" or like "abduct you & perform experiments 72 times with a turkey bastor & egg beater" aliens?

Ridley Scott. 

20 hours ago, JonaMar said:

Lat year, the most tickets we ever sold for one night was....

Thanks for the write-up, JonaMar.  That is interesting info to have.

2 minutes ago, StraightEdge said:

when they announcing the last 2 mazes though?

i was so sure we were gonna get one today. Maybe tomorrow? John said on twitter we should expect it by the end of the week, but hes said that before and it never came sooooo

1 hour ago, Jcs1707 said:

i was so sure we were gonna get one today. Maybe tomorrow? John said on twitter we should expect it by the end of the week, but hes said that before and it never came sooooo

I just wonder what the hold up is. Usually announcements come early and strong, but this year it seems like they're holding off until the last moment to reveal everything. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, WESKER69 said:

These are such brainwashed leg-humping fanboy responses. "HHN IZ TEH BEST EVENT EVA!!!" :rolleyes:

Because they keep it simple?... so they keep it dumbed down so the guests don't actually have to use their brains. Got it. No wonder movies are so bad nowadays. Everything has to be kept simple so the audience isn't challenged in any way.

Scaring people in their signature style? HHN doesn't have a signature style. Its "Murdy's style", which means "same crap, different IP" (or same IP multiple times). The event will become stale if it relies on the same thing over & over. Even Orlando has fallen victim of it several times.

Knotts... 45th year, we wouldn't have HHN if it wasn't for Knotts... This will only be Hollywood's 18th year. Bash Knotts all you want, but clearly they know what they're doing.

Fright Fest has also been doing their event longer than Hollywood & have also learned over the years. It used to be the butt of haunt jokes, but they're stepping up their game.

HHN is a great event, but lets not kid ourselves. It is NOT "the best" event ever. It is just the event that most of us grew up with and/or attended the most. There are smaller haunts, standalone haunts, & home haunts that have done better stuff than HHN.

I made an argument and provided concrete examples if you had the energy to read them. I would not consider myself a fanboy of HHN because believe me, I've met people that made fun of me for even attending Knotts last year. Those "HHN or bust" people are the fanboys in my opinion. I love variety in all haunts and each of the haunts I listed has strengths, which I decided not to mention because, you know, this is an HHN forum. I'd love to hear about the haunts you honestly think are better because like I stated, I like a variety of haunts. 

Considering Murdy is the CREATIVE DIRECTOR, it's pretty obvious that the event is HIS style. Are you trying to make a point here? Maybe I should have dumbed down my response. 

And I wholeheartedly believe that a haunt should be somewhat simple in storyline because with all the sensory overload of the scareactors, lights, sounds, and smells, it's a bit difficult to really stand there and interpret each room. I need to be able to know what's happening in a matter of seconds for me to understand it. For example a few years ago at a haunt there was a room with triangular mirrors and horse head scareactors. It had a point and was part of the story of the haunt but it was such an intricate film- like storyline that I and no one else in my group understood it and therefore the scare factor was lost. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, StraightEdge said:

when they announcing the last 2 mazes though?

I think one will be tomorrow since it's the first day of scareactor orientation and that to me is the second to last milestone before the event itself. 

3 hours ago, bendelthegreat said:

I just wonder what the hold up is. Usually announcements come early and strong, but this year it seems like they're holding off until the last moment to reveal everything. 

They're most likely going to announce Insidious tomorrow and then leave Blumhouse for last since the IP's within the house include Get Out (which I think the Hype train is too big). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dereksdominance said:

Considering Murdy is the CREATIVE DIRECTOR

^...yea.. I would use the word "creative" very loosely when it comes to Murdy.

Murdy confirmed on Twitter that the next announcement is Monday. I have a feeling the final announcement (Blumhouse) will be September 1st since it's the first of the month, the month the event starts and it's a Friday.

What is scary or not scary, creative or not creative, is so subjective that you can't always hit, you're bound to miss once in a while. Sure HHN has it's kinks and flaws, but it's just flat out fun. And I'm not a bootlicking fangirl. My heart lies with Knott's as it was the first haunt I ever attended, 20 years ago now. I remember my mom taking me to Horror Nights in 1997 when most considered me to be way too young (just a hair shy of 7) and I was in awe! The Monsterquarium maze (in my memory) was pure blood and guts camp, and that to me is what the event is all about. Walk me through movies, walk me through your weird mashup of monsters I've seen on the screen. It's a living art exhibit and it's just damn fun!

As for this year, I'm really excited to see what they do with Ash vs Evil Dead! And I've had nothing but amazing scares in all incarnations of the Insidious mazes, so I have high hopes this one will be no different. Is it September 16th yet?!!?

Side note : Mad props to you scare actors on here. I've had the opportunity to participate in a local haunt and it was not easy to keep up the energy when your costume/makeup gets hot and the guests act like morons.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, StraightEdge said:

Murdy confirmed on Twitter that the next announcement is Monday. I have a feeling the final announcement (Blumhouse) will be September 1st since it's the first of the month, the month the event starts and it's a Friday.

Or you know Insidious and Blumhouse are both announced on Monday because they both are the same company.

36 minutes ago, HHNManics said:

Or you know Insidious and Blumhouse are both announced on Monday because they both are the same company.

Then I'm hoping that happens.

6 hours ago, instamatic said:

I remember my mom taking me to Horror Nights in 1997 when most considered me to be way too young (just a hair shy of 7) and I was in awe! The Monsterquarium maze (in my memory) was pure blood and guts camp, and that to me is what the event is all about.

Squeee... I'd love to hear more about this maze. I wish there was pics and/or video footage of it.

The fact that you got to go to Hollywood's 3rd HHN event is just awesome.

The Horros of Blumhouse:

Sinister, The Purge, Happy Death day. 

Ending will be Big Daddy (giant Minigun from Purge Anarchy) 

Insidious Ch. 4:

All four insidious movies.

Major demon from new movie/maze is keydemon. Has keys for fingers. 

Ending will be 5 different demon scares.

Titans of Terror: 

Begins with house tour where boy falls asleep watching terrible acting on Murdy's part. 

1st monster is Freddy, you enter his realm through the nightmares of the little boy. 

2nd monster is Jason, Camp crystal lake

3rd monster is Leatherface. 

Ending includes all three 

Stilt liberty lady will be returning. Stilt walkers will be in metro sets in the Urban Inferno SZ as the king and queen of hell. 

I know the surprise ending to AHS. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LeakyBumBum said:

The Horros of Blumhouse:

Sinister, The Purge, Happy Death day. 

Ending will be Big Daddy (giant Minigun from Purge Anarchy) 

Insidious Ch. 4:

All four insidious movies.

Major demon from new movie/maze is keydemon. Has keys for fingers. 

Ending will be 5 different demon scares.

Titans of Terror: 

Begins with house tour where boy falls asleep watching terrible acting on Murdy's part. 

1st monster is Freddy, you enter his realm through the nightmares of the little boy. 

2nd monster is Jason, Camp crystal lake

3rd monster is Leatherface. 

Ending includes all three 

Stilt liberty lady will be returning. Stilt walkers will be in metro sets in the Urban Inferno SZ as the king and queen of hell. 

I know the surprise ending to AHS. 

you know anything of saw?