Freak

The Terror Tram: Should it Stay or Go?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Terror Tram Stay or Be Replaced with a Maze or Two?

• Yes, keep the Terror Tram. It has potential of being something very interesting.
    • No, get rid of it. I'd rather see another maze or two replace it.

With the Terror Tram becoming a bit stale and very repetitive, I want to ask you all if you really would rather have the Terror Tram stay but freshen it up with some unique stuff, or if they should just dump it and replace it with a haunted house or two.

I personally think it should stay; at least a couple more years. It is one thing we have over Orlando's event, but it just feels like the same 'ol thing every year. It would be great if they changed up a bit and put us in a new location in the backlot (Hello, the Mexican street?). If they insist on using the same location, then they really need to find new ways to make it feel fresh again (Maybe a cornfield maze, a small mini haunted house or something of that sort). It would be a bit of a shame to see it go since it is a completely unique attraction and allows guests the opportunity to actually walk the Universal backlot.

Now what are your thoughts?

Definitely keep it. The problem is the creative team just don't know what to do with it. It is CLEAR they've ran out of ideas when it comes to the TT, which is very unfortunate, because there are plenty of other people who have great ideas for it (I believe it was IloveStabWounds that did an AMAZING Terror Tram on the creations page based on Urban Legends). I don't know why they don't just get a different creative director solely for the Terror Tram so Murdy can focus simply on just the mazes. Murdy just hasn't put his heart into the TT these last two years and the ideas just fell flat even though they had HUMONGOUS potential to soar. I hate to say it but it truly seems that way but if he and creative did, they would do put some NEW ideas in there.

I'm not talking about changing the scenery - - believe me when I say, even if they did that, the problems would still stay the same. The story is still going to suck because they still can't top 06 - 09's stories and the scares aren't going to be anything special because you can't really do set scares in such an open space. It's all about being creative in the space you're given and doing something new and fresh. New and fresh occurred between 06 - 09 each year. And then 10 came and we realized 09 was the same as 10 and 10 is now pretty much the same as 11. So the 4 year awesome run they had with expanding and coming up with new ideas has now turned into a 2 year rut which means if nothing is still done next year, it'll be half and half of the Terror Tram's existence of being pretty sub-par.

Chucky had a great story but a horrible execution of the actual trail. It fit his character and the mythology of the Chuckster at HHN. The trail is pretty decent until you realize they ruined the story by randomly throwing La Llorona in there. And it's not like her section was small either, it was a good 1/3 of it from the hill all the way to the Psycho house. And then you realize that there was nothing new to offer to the previous year, using the same ol set pieces from My Bloody Valentine, F13 and etc.. Plus it suffered the loss of the sheet maze.

Then Scream had a great story as well UNTIL it came down to finishing it up or giving anything a motive. But let's forget that for a second because after that, Scream and Stab were NOT represented on the trail in any shape or form. There was no iconic characters or kills from the franchise and then there's the confusion of "okay, so is Stab-A-Thon the Stab 8 set and if so, how does that even make sense?" At this point, it's being too forgiving that the Stab 8 they came up with is uber lame, even for a shitty and fake series within a series and had nothing to do with the other Stab films' canons or Scream stories that they rip from. They returned with a mini maze at least but it was so bare bones.

So they need to first, make an amazing story and two, FOLLOW IT THROUGH to the very end of the trail and even until you get off the tram at the unload station. Doing that is already half the battle. I can forgive the same sets and props if the story is SELLING that idea. But if the story doesn't have me sold or if an element within the story is broken or paused for a random something else, I start being extra critical. And let me just say, if the story is selling the idea, the ideas to come up with for the sets will just work their way into themselves. The best example is the Nightmare Tour in 08, the very BEST TT EVER. Take that same concept today and throw it at the creators and they'll just throw some random zombie nonsense in the WotW again. But back then, it seemed like they were thinking passionately and very creatively on how to make that work within the realms of the story and therefore, WotW became Elm Street and Freddy had taken over. What could they have done with Scream? That street could've been Woodsboro and Ghostface is capitalizing on the carnage to wreak havoc. Throw some shadow gags on the houses of Ghostface killing people, people getting phone calls, have random cops - - that the Scream series is infamous for - - trying to calm people down only to be murdered and etc. and it would've been GREAT. It would've fit within the realms of Scream, could've easily fit as Stab and would've been better than "oh, here we go, zombies AGAIN." But they decided quickly that Ghostface, even though they already DENIED him a full fledged maze, couldn't handle being the main theme of the TT throughout. It's not like he was being over represented at the park already like say, oh I don't know, Jigsaw was in 09. There was not much wrong with the four fake films idea but it's how they executed to the same fashion of stuff they did in previous years that made it boring.

It's almost the same situation as the lower lot. It's like they're just giving up and pulling out all the old stuff again to say, "oh, here you go, something scary, enjoy" instead of saying, "we got something new and exciting and fresh that we can't wait to scare the crap out of you with!" The lower lot in 07 had love. I'd even say 09 had a bit of love too by utilizing the SES screen. And then it just stopped. They started taking out elements (although the SES screen wasn't really their fault) and just minimized it year after year. The same could be said about the Terror Tram over the last two years. Anyone remember the Whoville set in 07 or 08? Those were awesome set ups. Back then, it wasn't just the Whoville set off to the right. I remember there was even quite a lot of space to walk around until they started closing in the area. But there was actual set design in there. If I remember correctly, there were giant children play blocks off to the side for clowns to come out from behind. It was scary! Now there's very little of that creativity in that area. Horror movie convention in 09? Brilliant idea, same ol set but they rocked it with Chucky and the Strangers. 08, first use of the hill. 09, first use of the burning shack. 08, first use of the sheet maze. 09, they started changing where you walked on the WotW set. These things were exciting and new and the sets were most of the time practically new. Now it's nothing. That fence maze is nothing special because there's nothing special IN IT! It COULD be if it had actual elements from either Scream or something similar to it for Stab 8 but we have Ghostface jumping over walls, banging on fences and popping from behind curtains. The sheet maze had actual doors for Michael Myers to burst out of and it was awesome.

They just need to think outside of the box instead of thinking they're stuck with the same old thing. Make better use of their area and first, like I said, that comes with the territory of a good story. Have a well thought out, fleshed and developed story, and the ideas for the areas will come. But to me, without the Terror Tram, Universal isn't much special. Sure, it has better quality mazes but then it'll be missing that something that takes it a notch above because it truly is a valuable experience. Plus, it eats up a LOT of crowd. They don't need to get rid of it, or move it, they just need to BRING IT in terms of story, scares, actual set design to accommodate the existing sets and throw more set design on the existing sets. I wouldn't say creative are out of their prime now and they can't do anything special anymore, because they can with their mazes but with the Terror Tram? I think that's it - - they're done. With the stories/characters they had the last 2 years, the TT should've flourished with great praise but with what seemed like a lack of creativity can pass off as a lack of passion. And when it comes to the TT, I don't think they have it anymore. There's dozens of people who are willing to take the job and can more than likely bring it to where it needs to be. Take it off Murdy's shoulders so he can put more focus on the other stuff and bring in fresh blood who will help make the TT thrive again. *coughs* me *coughs* I'm sorry, damn dust in the air...

It seems to me that Murdy and co. seem to think "well we've nailed the Terror Tram. It's not broken, no need to fix it. Just keep doing the same thing every year and people will still line up for it". But it has gotten extremely stale and boring. Last year was the tipping point for me. I realized it was just more of the same. I love walking on the backlot and getting close to the Psycho house but the actual execution is out of juice and inspiration. I started skipping it completely. Would I rather have another, original maze? Yeah. Because it's new. But am I ok if it stays? Yep! Because it is a huge crowd eater. So it can absorb huge groups of people while people like me, who have seen it a million times already, can skip it and use that time to enjoy another maze ot two.

IMO the Terror Tram is the very heart and soul of HNN Hollywood, without it wouldn't even compare to the one in Orlando (since HNNO has more mazes and original icons and houses). What Hollywood has that Orlando doesn't have is the opportunity to actually walk through the real movie sets of the most iconic films in movie history (The Grinch, WotW, Psycho). While the TT has been a tad bit repetive the past two years and has room for improvement, it is still the attraction that made HNNH.

BTW thanks for the reference DTH! :)

Get rid of it! I am the easiest scare EVER and I never get scares there... EVER... if I do it's ghostface knocking on a window... not at all scary, just a little jump. I understand how cool it is to walk on the sets, but if its EVER between TT and a maze the maze will win EVERY TIME even if it's HOH! There is not a good story here, not enough sets, pissed off neighbors, and no real scare variety here. The ONLY exception here is the Bushmen... but they can somehow be placed in the park! I have never not been blown away by an HHN maze... they are CRAZY impressive, pretty damn scary, and overall awesome! The tram is a cool experience... but I'd rather pay to get scared! PLUS I believe 2 mazes would tie us for Orlando in mazes... and for now HHN needs expansion! We are a growing event... that is evident from the INSANELY detailed sets this year... La Llorena was INSANELY beautiful and even Alice Cooper looked AMAZING! We need more mazes, we need expansion... TT just didn't cut it and hasn't cut it!

I'd be up for getting rid of TT for a few years and putting new mazes in the parking garages again.

It seems to me that Murdy and co. seem to think "well we've nailed the Terror Tram. It's not broken, no need to fix it. Just keep doing the same thing every year and people will still line up for it". But it has gotten extremely stale and boring. Last year was the tipping point for me. I realized it was just more of the same. I love walking on the backlot and getting close to the Psycho house but the actual execution is out of juice and inspiration. I started skipping it completely. Would I rather have another, original maze? Yeah. Because it's new. But am I ok if it stays? Yep! Because it is a huge crowd eater. So it can absorb huge groups of people while people like me, who have seen it a million times already, can skip it and use that time to enjoy another maze ot two.

I agree with you 1000%. You nailed it. It's a crowd eater and there is no feeling it needs to change.

But Creep, you HAVE to go this year. I mean, this year you're so close to the Psycho house you can ACTUALLY TOUCH the stair banister out front!!!! Just think - at this rate, you'll be able to KNOCK ON THE DOOR around 2017. I get chills just thinking about it! We can leave a flaming bag of poo on the Psycho doorstep.

^Zombieman, what if Universal announced that the Terror Tram would be relocated to the Western Street or Little Europe? Would you still think the same of TT as you have voted (Judging by your post)?

But Creep, you HAVE to go this year. I mean, this year you're so close to the Psycho house you can ACTUALLY TOUCH the stair banister out front!!!! Just think - at this rate, you'll be able to KNOCK ON THE DOOR around 2017. I get chills just thinking about it! We can leave a flaming bag of poo on the Psycho doorstep.

LOL! :lol: By 2012, we can probably take showers in there.

LOL! :lol: By 2012, we can probably take showers in there.

If I can shower inside, I will happily change my vote. Until then, I'm gonna go visit La Llorona again :P

If I can shower inside, I will happily change my vote. Until then, I'm gonna go visit La Llorona again :P

Oh, I'm sure you'll get to go through it again....next year. "Back by popular demand!"

Oh, I'm sure you'll get to go through it again....next year. "Back by popular demand!"

LOL. Add two more pigs and now it's "New and Improved!!!" :D

You guys might get your wish, if that Vision plan ever actually happens.

But if the Vision plan happens, that means the WWW arena gets turned into Central Park! Could that be the end of our beloved venue?!

I think it's a horrible plan; it'll mean the neighbors will be even closer to the lot and who knows what major motion pictures they'll complain about being filmed and them ruining!

^Zombieman, what if Universal announced that the Terror Tram would be relocated to the Western Street or Little Europe? Would you still think the same of TT as you have voted (Judging by your post)?

Oh, you mean like it did in 1992, when the Terror Tram KICKED ASS? Yeah, I'd love that, and anyone who was fortunate enough to go that year knows exactly exactly what I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong - 2006 was a great experience as well. But in 2007 they neutered it.

I ultimately voted keep it because I'm such a Psycho fan that walking by the sets always gets me to geek out, but I enjoyed all the new mazes in 2010 and 2011 much better than the repetitive Terror Tram. If it was replaced with 2 high quality mazes, it wouldn't be the biggest loss at this point. Unless of course they actually decide to innovate a little.

I don't want to burst bubbles, but the Psycho house burned down in '08... this is a remake of it. When you're touching it, you're just touching a remake... I want TT to stay. John Murdy had a year of complaints, then next year he had it planned to be fixed but a movie took the place we would have walked through. Thus, they had to stick with the same thing. This year, John Murdy knows he has to bring something new to the table and I trust he will...

I don't want to burst bubbles, but the Psycho house burned down in '08... this is a remake of it. When you're touching it, you're just touching a remake... I want TT to stay. John Murdy had a year of complaints, then next year he had it planned to be fixed but a movie took the place we would have walked through. Thus, they had to stick with the same thing. This year, John Murdy knows he has to bring something new to the table and I trust he will...

The Psycho house didn't burn down in the 2008 fire. NY streets as well as Kong did.

Okay, ACTUALLY this is the story of the Psycho house and motel:

The original spot was where Jaws is today. Since, the motel and the house have moved in at least a dozen or so spots over the 70s and the 80s (from where the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas to Falls Lake and etc.). THEN the hotel was rebuilt and the original house was put in the spot we know it to be for Psycho III, which was almost 25 years later. Psycho IV, they shot in Florida, which if I remember correctly is the early 90s. THAT house burned down, for real, because that's what they needed for the movie (I never been to Florida so I don't know if it's been rebuilt). THEN in the late 90s, the motel in Hollywood was renovated a bit and they built a NEW house directly next to/in front of the old one for the remake. Where my knowledge stops though is whether the house that is still standing is the Psycho 1-3 house or the remake house (I believe it's the 1-3 one but I could be wrong). That house still stands to this day, as well as the motel, and have never burnt down. It was then renovated again, I'm guessing for the Terror Tram, in 2004 - 2006.

So you may not be on the actual ground where they filmed the ORIGINAL Psycho or Psycho II. And it may just be shreds of what it used to be when they filmed Psycho 3 & the remake. BUT the motel (and like I said, possibly the house from the ORIGINAL) are pretty much the same from when they filmed part 3 and the remake with some extra additions to make it more noticeable to what was there in the original and part 2. Either way, they're iconic and have been used in film and are important to film history. Not even to mention (again, this is if it's the 1-3 house) that the house has been featured in dozens of other films, TV shows, commercials and music videos.

Edited by DTH316