Sign in to follow this  
Hobbz

HHN Horror Film Competition

Thought we take a break from discussing this years events and start discussing the films for the Horror Film Contest.

Which one is your favorite

Personally I liked "The Marksman"

Thanks for making the thread. I'll paste my reviews from the discussion thread here!

My reviews (writing these as I'm watching them from one to the next) --

Hazards: Wow this movie sucks. There ain't much else to say other than that. 3/10

Jasper: I enjoyed this one. The environments, the acting and the music all worked well together. Only thing I didn't dig was the unrealistic character motivations to stick around when shit was happening (spoiler: one guy getting stabbed in the nuts and the other guy just standing there looking at it for a whole 10 seconds instead of reacting in SOME way then he gets bit on the ARM and falls to ground while she goes back to attack the other guy again and he STILL doesn't run away). Other than that, good short. 8/10

Love Me Tender: Yeeeeah, I don't get it. Some how it's still better than Hazards though. 4/10

The Marksman: Stupid. Just stupid. The directing & acting were just fine but the writing was horrible and the music never made it scary. The last minute is kinda cool but it's so stupid it's almost silly (I think that was kinda the intention, I'm not sure). And then motivation at the end correlated a bit with what was going on but by that point, it was irrelevant. Would've been nice to know what was going on from the beginning and could've put a new spin on things. 4/10

Mister Wednesday's Playground: Um... yeah. Creepy but not really in a horror way until the last 30 seconds but then that part doesn't even make sense. 4/10

Parasite: I get the parasite metaphor but um... what was she afraid of? The main character is stupid as all hell but at least it had some decent music and some kinda creepy moments. 5/10

Suffering in Ecstacy:... okay. This was more like an extremely odd and over long, anti-drug commercial that never went anywhere. I thought Hazards was bad. I'll give it a point for the weird music and a point for the blood, other than that, this was useless. 2/10

Trick: FUCKING AWESOME. The fact that it's a cartoon was pretty cool too. I liked everything about this one. The colors, the music, the voice acting (aside from the dad), and mainly the writing which developed into an awesome reveal. Flippin' demented and I loved it. Not scary but it at least felt like horror. 10/10

The Widower: Acting & editing are horrible but this was still fucking creepy beyond all hell. Would've been better than Trick if it fixed those two problems. I really enjoyed it and I think the creators have a future in horror if they play their cards right. 8/10

The Winter Stalker: Hehehehe, that was a good one. Definitely creepy and a pretty twisted vision. I loved it but in a different way. 7/10

Well, um... hopefully Murdy only plays the 5 good ones here because the other ones just SUCK. Like even for a student film or amateur film... they're just BAD. I can definitely see Jasper, Trick, The Widower and The Winer Stalker playing while waiting in line, those would make me VERY happy. Maybe one other one but anything else would just ruin my mood. Playing those in between some Rob Zombie videos and movie trailers would be awesome and maybe even worth going on a crowded night so you can just look up in queue and just enjoy the screens. For the most part, I don't know how the hell they chose some of those but the good ones are easily "the good ones." I have to believe there were many more better films than those and not just only 4 out of I'm sure the hundreds of submissions that were better than decent. However, I'm gonna have to vote for Trick on this and I feel like it's almost cheating because it was a cartoon but seriously, it WAS the best one out of all of those. Not scary but it just worked. What do you guys think?

hold up this is F'en tripy I dreamed that the videos went I woke up 5 minutes ago and first thing i did was check here and WTF I have a sixth HHN sense I'll watch them right now and give review be back folks!

I don't think Trick would've been as good if it were real. There was this very novel presence about it being a cartoon and the type of "look" they were going for probably couldn't have been captured or might've cost too much money to do it right and still be as awesome as the cartoon was. It also might've made it a bit TOO gruesome and took the fun element out of it (I'm not sure, just saying) but this really helps for the directors because they had complete control over what was and was not seen.

Just go to the HHN Hollywood site and click on Film Contest - Vote

Just watched all of them, The Winter Stalker and Jasper were the couple that got a laugh out of me. Trick was pretty good and The Widower and Parasite were creepy, but not an overall good video.

Hazzard-WTF did M. Night Shamalan enter this year, was not scary whats so ever made zero sense and I could'nt even figure out it was a bulldog till the end I would hate to see the videos that lost

0/10

Jasper-Cheesy but creepy, I saw the old lady turning into a monster coming, but it was fun more on the creepy side then scary but hey it works some of the acting blew in the begaining but fixed itself once the old lady turned into a monster. did anybody else expect the clown mask guy to say "Why so Seriouse?"

5/10

Love me Tender-Yeah that it would of ended better, and I dont get how she bit his tooth out without opening her mouth sad part 100% better then Hazzard

1/10

The Marksmen-Agreed with HorrorFreak hooray for Boobies lmao, this one was good but just like Jasper, saw it coming a little more scary then the other 3 so far but does not scream winner, and the whole idea of a guy snipping out of his car into people's windows kinda felt wierd would of been better if he was robbing the home instead of going Call of Duty in a sububan neighborhood. BTW I dont get how 3 scratched on neck killed him

6/10

Mister Wendsday's Playground-Just when I thought Hazzard was the stupidest entry this year I see this shiny terd Kudos Mister Wendsday Whoever the F' You are, serously What the Hell this made no sense and seemed like a Halloween Kmart commercial and then the end? did M. night submit two short films this year? what the hell!

0/10 and thats just to be far I realy want to give it a -15/10

Parasite-LMFAO I dont know why but this just seemed like something out of Family Guy and I laughed so hard when she stabed her boyfriend it was just so random it was creepy but It might have failed at being scayr and I dont get the parasite thing.

6/10

Suffering in Ecstasy-The was like a mix of the Tunle from Willy Wonka and the video from the ring, so I feel like Im gonna die at a rave from a choclate over does in 7 days, the gore was gorey I guess but it felt a little unneccesary I'll give it point for making me cringe but realy thePublic service annoucenment was way too obviouse.

4/10

Trick-ok the best one, I love the whole Halloween special feel to it, and I agree this would of been kinda over doing it if it wasnt a cartoon so this is my pick.

10/10

and the other 2 im not even going to mention because they blew so yeah Trick FTW

The Widower and The Winter Stalker did not blow! At least not as bad as Hazards or Wednesday wtfever it was called, c'mon! Why didn't you like 'em?!

The Widower and The Winter Stalker did not blow! At least not as bad as Hazards or Wednesday wtfever it was called, c'mon! Why didn't you like 'em?!

honestly I gave up lol after all the crap and Trick being the only good one I gave up LMAO

Edited by Grindhousehero13

Watch those two, Trick may be the best one but those 2 are honestly the best live action ones.

Okay, I don't have time to do full reviews on what I saw, but I thought the Winter Stalker probably had the biggest "WTC!?" ending in all of history! Trick was the best one by far. The ending was really good. Who would've thought the best ending would've been a cartoon?

Winter Stalker was perfect, lmao, definitely don't show that kids or else their view of holidays will forever be tainted because when you think about the legend, that's probably what it would be like in real life and how he would think. "He knows when you are sleeping..."

Winter Stalker was pretty cool, at first I thought it was going to be a religous thing thing and it was going to be GOD or something like that. But when Santa appeared it was funny.

i really liked trick and jasper but i voted for trick(:

it was just really creepy and am i the only one that got a creepshow vibe from it? with the magazine and everything? i thought it was good(:

i really liked trick and jasper but i voted for trick(:

it was just really creepy and am i the only one that got a creepshow vibe from it? with the magazine and everything? i thought it was good(:

Yeah I did and a kinda Trick r Treat feeling too

btw we all like trick but I looked on the facebook and alot of them are voteing for Jasper and Hazzard =[

Trick will be the winner , no doubt about it. I loved everything about it... It is definitely the most original video ever made for the HHN film contest.