Halloween Horror Nights Orlando 29 Discussion Thread

zombieman

Longggggggggg time, no see everyone! Guess what? We get to go this year! Grandma's in town to watch the kiddos and the wife and I are heading up Saturday. I know I haven't been super active in a  long time, but I was hoping to get some help on here. 

It's been so long since we have gone, since we can never get a baby sitter and are a couple hours away. I bought the S&S addon to the tickets this weekend. Is ST in the front by Minions where the big house usually goes? So is that the Hello Kitty S&S area or Finnegans? 

ANY POINTERS? God, it's been so long and we can't fork out for FP... we want to get as much done and I feel liek going straight to ST first would help with waits the rest of the night.

Love all you guys, my horror family. It's been a while but I hope everyone has been doing good. <3

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Merlin said:

Longggggggggg time, no see everyone! Guess what? We get to go this year! Grandma's in town to watch the kiddos and the wife and I are heading up Saturday. I know I haven't been super active in a  long time, but I was hoping to get some help on here. 

It's been so long since we have gone, since we can never get a baby sitter and are a couple hours away. I bought the S&S addon to the tickets this weekend. Is ST in the front by Minions where the big house usually goes? So is that the Hello Kitty S&S area or Finnegans? 

ANY POINTERS? God, it's been so long and we can't fork out for FP... we want to get as much done and I feel liek going straight to ST first would help with waits the rest of the night.

Love all you guys, my horror family. It's been a while but I hope everyone has been doing good. <3

Stranger Things is where Poltergeist was last year while Ghostbusters is the one in front of the stage, so the waiting area should be the same regardless.

In my personal experience on the first two nights, it doesn’t save much time to do the big houses first. Ghostbusters took 40 minutes even with being the first one through the gate on my turnstile because I was up at the front. Speed-walked there and everything, but still.

I don’t know how it’s gonna be with Stay and Scream, but you could always try. The waits generally don’t improve over the night for those big ones, whereas it feels like the smaller houses only worsen. All in all, the ones I’ve waited a considerable amount of time for would have been 7:26-8:02 for Universal Classic Monsters, 8:20ish-8:45 for Graveyard Games, 8:50-9:45 for Nightengales, and obviously ST and Busters get some lines. I know that at least the beginning of the night, all of the back houses should be walk-ons; House of 1000 Corpses followed immediately by Depths of Fear had almost no wait for us on opening night, and were it not for it being opened a little later last night, Nightengales would have been good at 6:30. As we left Nightengales, we could see that Depths was still a walk-on.

Anyway, back-of-the-park strategy is always handy, but if you want to do one of those bigger houses more than once (I don’t know about ST, but Ghostbusters has some sights), sure, go ahead and knock it out with S&S. I wouldn’t advise doing both of the big ones one after the other unless the goal is to get them out of the way. If the goal is to save time, the problem is that everyone else has the same idea and once they’re done with those big houses, they’re going to head to the smaller ones and the lines will increase.

I hope you guys have so much fun at HHN and that the lines won’t be too harsh! If you run into problems and need recommendations or directions, I’ll be there Saturday and I’m more than willing to help out. Have a great time and do remember to plan a first house, but otherwise, I find it easier and more fun to decide in the moment. Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/8/2019 at 9:44 AM, itsabee said:

Also, it’s so interesting just how divided we all are about the houses this year. Blood Pit might have been good, but I wouldn’t know; I don’t think I’m a scareactor’s perfect target anymore, especially because a guy I met that was part of a group last night was a stereotypical dudebro, so I missed a lot of scares. The smell of death or whatever it was that they were trying to present just stunk and made the house feel gross enough to keep my mind off of the setting.

I’ll give Klowns another shot, just to see what happens. I do remember someone pointing out that the plywood is what makes everything so loud, so I guess I can think about that. Could you give me a little layout of the rooms so I’d know what to look for? Someone mentioned key props and to be honest I don’t remember them inside the ship. I’m just hoping that I had a bad run last time and that KKfOS isn’t the sesnsory nightmare I experienced on opening night.

Ooof, I'll have to go in again. Maybe watch the walk-through online? I don't know if that will help or spoil anything for you though

1 hour ago, Ringwraith said:

Ooof, I'll have to go in again. Maybe watch the walk-through online? I don't know if that will help or spoil anything for you though

Oh my god, I understand! So the light sort of moves in waves, right? So certain sections are darkened while others are lit up? The lights were CONSTANTLY on past the point where you enter the spaceship I think?? I haven't seen the movie, but the big clown face with the big red nose, NOT Klownzilla. I think it may have been because the cast change just happened; perhaps they turn the lights on so that it's easier for the scareactors to head to their locations? Anyway, with all of the bright overhead lights, all of the neon just hurts. I think that with the right effects going off this could have come off a lot better. Have to do it again.

Also, Klownzilla was stationary for me. That movement is kind of badass when it does work.

Edit: Watching a vlog, and the Ordinary Adventures couple experienced what I saw at 3:28.

Edited by itsabee

6 hours ago, Merlin said:

I've got a wait times thread posted so you can gauge how opening weekend went.

So one of my favorite things every year is all the insane details that are put into the event. A lot of times it seems there are pages of backstories and loads of interesting info that the average attendee misses.

If you guys know of anything, I would seriously enjoy it. Every year it's always fun to learn just how detailed the event it

Edited by Midnight Detective
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

So one of my favorite things every year is all the insane details that are put into the event. A lot of times it seems there are pages of backstories and loads of interesting info that the average attendee misses.

If you guys know of anything, I would seriously enjoy it. Every year it's always fun to learn just how detailed the event it

Same! If anyone hears anything, please let us know!

I can go ahead and say, though, that one very fun fact is that the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is essentially a giant carved block of the kind of styrofoam that would come in a package. It’s mounted on a custom-built “stage”-style platform to hold it in place so that everything else can be projected onto it. Info gained from scareactor who backed up to it in his area and frequently leaned on it.

From the same scareactor, through his experiences with stilts, I learned that apparently the creatures in Depths of Fear have pretty awful eyesight because of there being practically no visibility points in the headpiece. I guess it was an oversight. It makes the stilt performer in that house just that much more impressive, given that he’s on a slant AND blind, but I can’t help but worry for him.

On that note, I have a question. So as I never shut up about, my boyfriend was a reserve last year and is one again this year. Because he was given a rundown of each house/his role within that house by the casting and show directors, he was able to provide a lot of nifty information last year. So, mods: is it okay to eventually start some kind of lore thread that contains the information people can get from UtH tours or backstage info from team members themselves? Or should the details go in their respective threads?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

Unconfirmed, but I heard someone say there's a WWI logo in Nightingales as a reference to the original house.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, itsabee said:

Same! If anyone hears anything, please let us know!

I can go ahead and say, though, that one very fun fact is that the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is essentially a giant carved block of the kind of styrofoam that would come in a package. It’s mounted on a custom-built “stage”-style platform to hold it in place so that everything else can be projected onto it. Info gained from scareactor who backed up to it in his area and frequently leaned on it.

From the same scareactor, through his experiences with stilts, I learned that apparently the creatures in Depths of Fear have pretty awful eyesight because of there being practically no visibility points in the headpiece. I guess it was an oversight. It makes the stilt performer in that house just that much more impressive, given that he’s on a slant AND blind, but I can’t help but worry for him.

On that note, I have a question. So as I never shut up about, my boyfriend was a reserve last year and is one again this year. Because he was given a rundown of each house/his role within that house by the casting and show directors, he was able to provide a lot of nifty information last year. So, mods: is it okay to eventually start some kind of lore thread that contains the information people can get from UtH tours or backstage info from team members themselves? Or should the details go in their respective threads?

Please do share! Where you the one that dropped a bunch of fun facts at the end of last year?

12 hours ago, Midnight Detective said:

Please do share! Where you the one that dropped a bunch of fun facts at the end of last year?

Probably...? I think there were a few scareactors doing that too, but yes, I did mention some!! Right now, my only sources are a little girl ghost in Graveyard Games, the first Phantom in the PotO section of UCM, and a former Ringleader in Ghostbusters. Jake hasn’t been cast yet because no one’s really called out, as they typically don’t in the first week, but if he does go somewhere I’ll definitely fill you in.

Really, the only knowledge I can throw out there is weird, specific, yet basically worthless information about the Ringleader. There was a whole costume fiasco on opening night because the big stilt pants for that character require a certain type of suspenders, which went missing. The costume became modified during that night to include elastic sewn into the waistband. Again, though, he was taken out of the role on Sunday, so I’m not sure if he’s just out or the character itself is going to be gone. Look out for the stilt scare/possibly an empty space at the end of the hallway after Winston has his dialogue.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bozo said:

I doubt it’ll be empty for the rest of the event.

It just depends on how many stilt-approved reserves there are. Stilt roles have specific stilt auditions, and basically anyone that CAN be on stilts already IS because of that. Also, like I said, I don’t know if they just decided the role is way too high maintenance (pants issues, mask issues, stilt danger, etc) and so the character itself will be taken out of the house. It’s kind of late for a new character to be created to fill that hole, I think.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:33 PM, Luigi18512 said:

I feel like the really toned down the scares this year (with the exception of the two parade warehouses). However, the sets were alot more grand and the effects and scareactor costumes looked the best in Horror Nights history (for as long as I have been going).

I agree. I  didnt get as many scares. not even  threats to die or anything. I  think they hired a lot of new people 

On 9/8/2019 at 11:07 PM, zombieman said:

Now, I'll buy it just for the sake of being a souvenir, but I wonder if I brought last year's cup if I could just pay the refill fee.  I imagine that would be the case.

I'm sure others here have tried bringing freestyle cups from prior years, with success?

Yes, you can bring other freestyle cups.

There is also a limited edition cup for $30.  It is NOT for the entire season.  You're just paying $30 for a cup that still gets recharged for $10/night

57 minutes ago, HHN Pro 2 said:

Unrelated to this year, but it's crazy knowing HHN 30 is next year. I'm just imagining how big it's gonna be... Plus I remember it was said next year it's gonna be cranked up to 11 or 12 houses? HYPE!

Hard, HARD pass. More houses = fewer scareactors per house, as well as a reduction in time they can take off from using certain scares, making the event feel more "samey." If you wish to spread out the crowds keep more rides open. Aside from which, it sounds like crowds are *somewhat* better this year, granted it's still early.

Quality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quantity

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Hard, HARD pass. More houses = fewer scareactors per house, as well as a reduction in time they can take off from using certain scares, making the event feel more "samey." If you wish to spread out the crowds keep more rides open. Aside from which, it sounds like crowds are *somewhat* better this year, granted it's still early.

Quality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quantity

Or...more crowds = more money

more money = more funds for houses and scareactors

more houses and scare actors = bigger event

eventually I want to see both universal AND IoA to be all horror night’d up

• Love 1

I already got a 12-house lineup for next year.

Jack's Dungeon of Terror - Soundstage 21

IT - Soundstage 22

All Nite Die-In: Bloody Marathon - Soundstage 24B

Psychoscareapy: No Escape - Soundstage 24A

The Thing - Soundstage 25

RUN: Havoc Forever - MIB Tent

Scream - Sprung Tent 3

The Organ Donor - Sprung Tent 2

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers - Sprung Tent 1

Terra Queen: Return of the Wrath - New Parade Building

Zombieland - Parade Building

H.R. Bloodengutz Presents Holidayz in Hell - Shrek 4D Theater 2

Edited by HHN Pro 2
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Bozo said:

Or...more crowds = more money

more money = more funds for houses and scareactors

more houses and scare actors = bigger event

eventually I want to see both universal AND IoA to be all horror night’d up

Doesn't change the fact that there's less time they can take without using certain scare tactics. Also means they're going to have to streamline/simplify house design. More than 10 houses is a BAD idea, guys.