Halloween Horror Nights Orlando 29 Discussion Thread

zombieman

3 hours ago, Luigi18512 said:

I feel like the really toned down the scares this year (with the exception of the two parade warehouses). However, the sets were alot more grand and the effects and scareactor costumes looked the best in Horror Nights history (for as long as I have been going).

For the IP houses, I'd say yes.

For the originals, heck no!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

Did you have on super bring pink eye shadow and was on the left side of the gates on opening night?

Yes, that was me!! Aw !!! Tonight it’s blue to match my HHN 28 shirt !

Also I never realized there were GATs or a problem with the song, probably because I was so ready to leave, but that would have been interesting. I think I might have just gone in at the completely wrong time and had the worst set of coincidences. It feels like a fever dream.

Current rankings...

HOUSES

#1 - Yeti: Terror of the Yukon

#2 - Depths of Fear

#3 - House of 1000 Corpses

#4 - Nightingales: Blood Pit

#5 - Universal Monsters

#6 - Stranger Things

#7 - Graveyard Games

#8 - Killer Klownz from Outer Space

#9 - Us

#10 - Ghostbusters

SCARE ZONES

#1 - Vanity Ball

#2 - Rob Zombie: Hellbilly Deluxe

#3 - Zombieland: Double Tap

#4 - Vikings: Undead

#5 - Anarch-cade

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

Did you have on super bring pink eye shadow and was on the left side of the gates on opening night?

Anyway, Killer Klowns might have been the biggest missed opportunity of any house I've seen so far. Let me preface by saying I really enjoyed this house, but let me explain. The buzz about the Klowns was really huge this year. People were lining up to take photos with them outside the house, and the middle-aged guy behind me in line talked about how much he enjoyed the movie having recently seen it for the first time.  I listened to the Killer Klowns song by the Dickies twice on the way to HHN, I was pumped.

SPOILERS FOR THE REST OF THIS POST.

The opening scene was spot on. We are outside in the city with the projection of Shorty and the "knock your block off" scene in shadow. The moving trash cans with with no Klown as a good scare and it looked realistic. The next couple gags were quick hits from the movie, with the puppet sheriff being particularly good. None of them were scary or surprising. Just lots of "hey I remember that part from the movie, pretty cool" then on to the next one. Once we got in the ship I think it just felt like they ran out of time. I thought the plywood floors and walls were true to how the real movie sets were made but a lot of scares involved the actors stomping on plywood floors to make noise. Compared to Graveyard Games this wasn't even on the same level. The Klowns aren't scary they are funny in my opinion and the hallway with the GATs should have been the whole rest of the house. The ending scene with all the Klowns in a twisting line was fun but went by so fast. Why the hell didn't the song loop properly? It just cuts off in the middle of a verse and repeats!

If they iron out some of these bugs and do some changes I think this house could be fantastic it just didn't work for me without my nostalgia and desire to enjoy it. I was talking to a couple in line behind me and they thought it was supposed to be based on IT!

The house spends too much time inside the ship. It sucks. Most of the house feels like it is all in the ship besides the beginning rooms 

8 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

For the IP houses, I'd say yes.

For the originals, heck no!

I though Yeti was really quiet. I expected it to be extremely loud and intense. The rest of the originals I would have to agree are on the same quality of scariness. Also, is it just me or did they REALLY tone down the scarezones in both scale and scariness this year?

• Like 1

Night two for America's Sweetheart (me).

Ghostbusters was amazing. Worth the 50 minute wait, maybe the best house of all time even better than Poltergeist. The effects, the settings, the actors were beyond what I could even imagine. Live actors doing lines and improve, a certain 'buster gave me a high five at the end.

Killer Klowns is already showing wear and tear (I noticed a key prop was broken tonight) and I missed a lot of scares I remember from the first night. After seeing it again, if you aren't a fan of the movie already I don't see a new comer understanding anything about this house.  

House of a 1000 Corpses was way better than I thought it was going to be. The scares are the end were fast and the group I was with was getting blasted. The facade was worth admission to see once.

Universal Movie Monsters was much better on the second night with the Mummy room's actors in perfect sync. Made my group pinball around the room perfectly.

Blood Pit is my sleeper hit of the year. I felt trapped in a complete nightmare. The houses don't scare me at all but towards the end I was feeling dread like I needed to escape. Something about how tight the maze is. A must-go house so far.

Depth of Fear was terrible. Lots and lots of empty boo holes. I actually saw a group of (what appeared to be) managers in the house in a group looking very angry. The group I was with was very disappointed.  

Graveyard Games is a such a simple concept they nailed. The creative team knows how to make a graveyard and zombies so this is an easy home run house that just works.

Marathon of Mayhem is excellent, watch it once if you can make it to the proper area. 

I walked through Zombieland with a group of new people tonight and they didn't even realize it was a scare zone.

Edited by ultimateforce
  • Like 4

On 9/7/2019 at 1:01 AM, itsabee said:

I mean, I just read Ringwraith’s critique and they loved it a lot, but I just.......hoo boy. Loved the zone, found the house just full of constant patterns and bright colors with no more subtle scenery breaking it up start to finish. The triggers were all extremely loud and almost all just bizarro funhouse boings and such, all overlaid on top of each other. Very loud, very bright, very fast, no time to breathe. We were part of the first six or so people going in after a cast change, so maybe the scareactors were a little trigger-happy, but...oof.

edit: not to mention the fact that nothing was scary...even what I expected to see and love, the cotton candy cocoons, went unnoticed because of all of the other distractors and the overall rushed feeling of that house.

Interestingly enough, we went through Ghostbusters last night and it was very average, when on opening night, it blew my socks off. The cast, effects, puppet functionality, the group around you, etc. can all make or break a house. I would give it repeat visits during different times of day, to get a full grasp.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

Marathon of Mayhem is excellent, watch it once if you can make it to the proper area. 

What would you consider the "proper area"? I'm going in early October and will only have two nights. If I take the time to see this instead of going through a house or people watching in the zones I would like to know how to best experience it.

59 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

Interestingly enough, we went through Ghostbusters last night and it was very average, when on opening night, it blew my socks off. The cast, effects, puppet functionality, the group around you, etc. can all make or break a house. I would give it repeat visits during different times of day, to get a full grasp.

Also, it’s so interesting just how divided we all are about the houses this year. Blood Pit might have been good, but I wouldn’t know; I don’t think I’m a scareactor’s perfect target anymore, especially because a guy I met that was part of a group last night was a stereotypical dudebro, so I missed a lot of scares. The smell of death or whatever it was that they were trying to present just stunk and made the house feel gross enough to keep my mind off of the setting.

I’ll give Klowns another shot, just to see what happens. I do remember someone pointing out that the plywood is what makes everything so loud, so I guess I can think about that. Could you give me a little layout of the rooms so I’d know what to look for? Someone mentioned key props and to be honest I don’t remember them inside the ship. I’m just hoping that I had a bad run last time and that KKfOS isn’t the sesnsory nightmare I experienced on opening night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kablue said:

What would you consider the "proper area"? I'm going in early October and will only have two nights. If I take the time to see this instead of going through a house or people watching in the zones I would like to know how to best experience it.

Across from Mel's Die-In there's a big viewing area roped off. You'll know it when you see it!

1 hour ago, itsabee said:

Also, it’s so interesting just how divided we all are about the houses this year. Blood Pit might have been good, but I wouldn’t know; I don’t think I’m a scareactor’s perfect target anymore, especially because a guy I met that was part of a group last night was a stereotypical dudebro, so I missed a lot of scares. The smell of death or whatever it was that they were trying to present just stunk and made the house feel gross enough to keep my mind off of the setting.

I’ll give Klowns another shot, just to see what happens. I do remember someone pointing out that the plywood is what makes everything so loud, so I guess I can think about that. Could you give me a little layout of the rooms so I’d know what to look for? Someone mentioned key props and to be honest I don’t remember them inside the ship. I’m just hoping that I had a bad run last time and that KKfOS isn’t the sesnsory nightmare I experienced on opening night.

I went in a group of two girls and we assumed a train position for each house. The taller of the two in front of me with my arms around her, and the smaller one behind me holding on to my back pack with her eyes mostly closed. I have been to HHN nearly 20 times and last night my group got hammered harder than I have ever experienced. We had a giant bull's eye on us the whole night. 

The Klownzilla wasn't moving and the big red nose was broken off last night around 8pm when we went though it along with a LOT of missing scare actors. 

Edited by ultimateforce
  • Like 1

So last night went way more smoothly than Friday and we were able to hit every house and show with time to spare. I still won’t do a full review until after we return next weekend, but I will say there was a lot of inconsistency with a couple houses just between the two nights. Scares from the first walkthrough were missing during the second time around. Could’ve been just bad timing on our parts (cast changes, etc.) but who knows. 

As far as the shows go, AoV is way better than last year and the lagoon show is amazing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ultimateforce said:

Across from Mel's Die-In there's a big viewing area roped off. You'll know it when you see it!

I went in a group of two girls and we assumed a train position for each house. The taller of the two in front of me with my arms around her, and the smaller one behind me holding on to my back pack with her eyes mostly closed. I have been to HHN nearly 20 times and last night my group got hammered harder than I have ever experienced. We had a giant bull's eye on us the whole night. 

The Klownzilla wasn't moving and the big red nose was broken off last night around 8pm when we went though it along with a LOT of missing scare actors. 

See, I didn’t even know Klownzilla was supposed to move. It was static on opening night, at least around 11:00 it was. But yeah, typically, if my boyfriend isn’t cast as a reserve that night, he’ll come back into the park and do houses with me. He likes making scares, but not being scared - he clings onto my shoulders the whole time. I’m a 5’4, 110-lb girl who isn’t afraid with a taller, nervous boy who very much is, so we’re usually a unit target. He wasn’t with me last night, though, so I was left alone for the most part. I did end up getting way more scares last night than opening, though, so that was cool!!

5 hours ago, kablue said:

The show is very amazing. Better than anything any park has ever done (as far as water shows) it takes your breath away

If you could arrive 20 minutes early you could find a good spot. Just try to be at the center and to the front of the standing area 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 6:21 PM, marc said:

It is not. They’re selling a branded Freestyle cup but you have to pay to reactivate each night. 

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

How much is it to refill, might I ask?

All,

HHN 29 Reviews section is now open.  Please post reviews there and not here.  Thanks!

Also, I am updating the wait times thread constantly, so check that out as a reference, and please add your own data to it also.

4 minutes ago, marc said:

If I remember correctly, the cup was around $18 and activations were $9.99. 

Was there an HHN themed cup?

I wonder if you were to activate it during the day at the park, would it extend thru HHN at night.

Last year the cup was also usable at the hotels (I was able to use it at Aventura).

Just now, zombieman said:

Was there an HHN themed cup?

I wonder if you were to activate it during the day at the park, would it extend thru HHN at night.

Last year the cup was also usable at the hotels (I was able to use it at Aventura).

Yep, there’s an HHN cup. Pretty sure it’s Stranger Things.

Just now, marc said:

Yep, there’s an HHN cup. Pretty sure it’s Stranger Things.

Now, I'll buy it just for the sake of being a souvenir, but I wonder if I brought last year's cup if I could just pay the refill fee.  I imagine that would be the case.

I'm sure others here have tried bringing freestyle cups from prior years, with success?

4 hours ago, zombieman said:

Now, I'll buy it just for the sake of being a souvenir, but I wonder if I brought last year's cup if I could just pay the refill fee.  I imagine that would be the case.

I'm sure others here have tried bringing freestyle cups from prior years, with success?

It has been stated that apparently the IP on the cup may get swapped out bi-weekly I believe.

3 hours ago, Luigi18512 said:

Anyone know why they have glowing lights on the chainsaws this year? I heard from some tonight that it had to do with legal issues involving someone getting angry over how the chainsaws looked "too real".

I mean...neon theming in the 80’s based year. It could be true, but if you asked, that’d probably be the answer you get. 

• Like 1