Halloween Horror Nights Orlando 29 Discussion Thread

zombieman

As HHN officially opens in......about 4 hours, let's move from Speculation to Discussion!

If you are reviewing the event, please create a thread in the dedicated reviews section.

[EDIT - I need to ask mz to create a reviews subtopic...]

As I type this, people are sitting in the early entry holding areas (im)patiently waiting...

I am jealous.  But I am sitting in a comfortably cool 72 degree office, so they are a bit jealous of me.

Have a great time out there!

giphy.gif

Spoiler alert!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

OH MY GAWD!  IT'S THE YET-AY!      THE YET-AAAAAAAAAAY!

giphy.gif

Let me DISCUSS how hot it is here, oh my god, but I’m so thrilled to be waiting here, especially compared to sitting in a college class or in my apartment. Picked up my ticket and I have about an hour to just listen to everyone around me talk about hype and one lovely couple talk about “that klown house” and I can’t help but check back on this forum. HHN is back at long last!! (Speaking of, if anyone sees someone with neon pink eyeshadow, pls come say hello ! I haven’t met anyone from here before !)

Edited by itsabee

You see, that's why I locked the speculation thread.  Because we don't have to speculate about the weather out there.  It's freakin HOT!

I will try to send cool thoughts your way.  I hope it works.

Let us know about the crowd size and give us some idea of wait times.

Oh, and the app has a new set of games that are available only in the park, including East Coast vs West Coast trivia battle!

That will be interesting, as there will only be a few hours when the parks align for HHN.

I think I know my HHN Orlando trivia better than my HHN Hollywood trivia, and I live in California :)

My trip plans for HHN have been a mess...

I was originally going the week of Sep 18th, but learned KISS was going to be in town at the Staples Center.

Bought a suite seat for the concert and moved my travel plans for HHN to the week of the 25th.

...aaaand today I learn this.  KISS has postponed the Staples Center date to March of 2020.

Anyway, I'm locked and loaded for another stay at Sapphire Falls and a few days at HHN!

Was headed straight to Stranger Things, saw that 120-minute wait, yeeted into Zombieland instead. VERY cool. Think about the hissing sound effects from Vamp but much more realistic and much louder. Took me a second to think about whether or not the scareactors were somehow activating those sounds with some kind of trigger because they were so good at acting along with them.

Rob Zombie is skeletons, axes, and tiddies.

CORPSES: VERY very long; thought it had to have been over about 2/3 through. Wow! Fishboy was an impressively-sculpted figure but wasn’t lit up, so it didn’t pay off. Lots of Otis. Spaulding is very sparse with his scares; actually told my boyfriend “oh, I guess there is a hole tonight” until he pointed him out, but he looked very close to the film Spaulding based on what I could see! Dr. Satan is SO impressive, and actually got me as a scare even though he was completely in the open and visible, even behind a table and therefore away from me, for the whole time. I looked at him and gasped and whispered “Doctor Satan..!” to my boyfriend, but the Doctor himself was making eye contact with me and held out his gross syringe fingers in my face. Felt the squishy floors of a wet house before I felt the water, so for now, don’t worry about getting too wet. GREAT HOUSE if you’ve seen it at least!!

YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE DEPTHS OF FEAR. HOLY SHIT.

Edited by itsabee
  • Love 1

Well I just got in a few minutes ago and already having issues. Our tickets got misprinted and it didn’t include the whole barcode. They took us over to someone to try and reprint them but the system is having issues reprinting passes with express built in. They were still able to manually enter the ID to get us in, but we’d have to do the same for every house we wanted to use. Just tried at Ghostbusters and it’s a clusterfuck. Kinda annoyed but I understand it’s the first night and there will always be issues. They recommended going to guest services later in the night to see if the issue is resolved. 

8 minutes ago, clash said:

Oh no.....

I mean, I just read Ringwraith’s critique and they loved it a lot, but I just.......hoo boy. Loved the zone, found the house just full of constant patterns and bright colors with no more subtle scenery breaking it up start to finish. The triggers were all extremely loud and almost all just bizarro funhouse boings and such, all overlaid on top of each other. Very loud, very bright, very fast, no time to breathe. We were part of the first six or so people going in after a cast change, so maybe the scareactors were a little trigger-happy, but...oof.

edit: not to mention the fact that nothing was scary...even what I expected to see and love, the cotton candy cocoons, went unnoticed because of all of the other distractors and the overall rushed feeling of that house.

Edited by itsabee
  • Like 1

So even with all the issues we had tonight, we were still able to do 8 houses with express. I don’t rate any houses until I’ve done them a few times, but first impressions were great. Every house is very well put-together and the set designs are amazing. Fingers crossed tomorrow goes a little more smoothly. For now.. it’s shower and bed time. 

I feel like the really toned down the scares this year (with the exception of the two parade warehouses). However, the sets were alot more grand and the effects and scareactor costumes looked the best in Horror Nights history (for as long as I have been going).

Edited by Luigi18512
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ultimateforce said:

I feel like Killer Klowns was suffering from opening night bugs and will get better in the upcoming weeks. I went to Universal Movie Monsters at rope drop and my last house at 12:30. I saw an improvement already. 

Jesus. What did you think about Klowns? Please I need someone else to talk to about this because it just felt so uncomfortable.

10 minutes ago, itsabee said:

Jesus. What did you think about Klowns? Please I need someone else to talk to about this because it just felt so uncomfortable.

Did you have on super bring pink eye shadow and was on the left side of the gates on opening night?

Anyway, Killer Klowns might have been the biggest missed opportunity of any house I've seen so far. Let me preface by saying I really enjoyed this house, but let me explain. The buzz about the Klowns was really huge this year. People were lining up to take photos with them outside the house, and the middle-aged guy behind me in line talked about how much he enjoyed the movie having recently seen it for the first time.  I listened to the Killer Klowns song by the Dickies twice on the way to HHN, I was pumped.

SPOILERS FOR THE REST OF THIS POST.

The opening scene was spot on. We are outside in the city with the projection of Shorty and the "knock your block off" scene in shadow. The moving trash cans with with no Klown as a good scare and it looked realistic. The next couple gags were quick hits from the movie, with the puppet sheriff being particularly good. None of them were scary or surprising. Just lots of "hey I remember that part from the movie, pretty cool" then on to the next one. Once we got in the ship I think it just felt like they ran out of time. I thought the plywood floors and walls were true to how the real movie sets were made but a lot of scares involved the actors stomping on plywood floors to make noise. Compared to Graveyard Games this wasn't even on the same level. The Klowns aren't scary they are funny in my opinion and the hallway with the GATs should have been the whole rest of the house. The ending scene with all the Klowns in a twisting line was fun but went by so fast. Why the hell didn't the song loop properly? It just cuts off in the middle of a verse and repeats!

If they iron out some of these bugs and do some changes I think this house could be fantastic it just didn't work for me without my nostalgia and desire to enjoy it. I was talking to a couple in line behind me and they thought it was supposed to be based on IT!