Halloween Marathon of Mayhem

Ueeediot

Halloween-Marathon-of-Mayhem-1170x731.jp

The screams featured at this year’s Halloween Horror Nights will come to life in a whole new way with the debut of the nighttime lagoon show, “Halloween Marathon of Mayhem.” Guests will watch as terrifying moments inspired by some of the Halloween classics taking over the event come to life right before their eyes in the Universal Studios Florida lagoon. 

Giant water screens highlighting iconic horror scenes, accented with more than 100 fountains, awesome special effects, pounding electro music, lasers and more will bring this all-new experience to life – creating a larger-than-life mix tape that guests won’t want to miss. Guests will witness a twisted new take on Netflix’s Stranger Things, Sony Pictures’ Ghostbusters, Universal Monsters and Metro Goldwyn Mayer’s Killer Klowns from Outer Space as they invade the Universal Studios lagoon for “Halloween Marathon of Mayhem,” running on event nights at the world’s premier Halloween event.

9 minutes ago, Ueeediot said:

My initial reaction to this is that it will be a 100% dud just like the nightly show.  If it is anything like the nightly show, this will just be a commercial for HHN houses with zero additional content.   Note to Universal, you don't need to market to people who have already bought their tickets.

If anything it’ll be something the drunk people can gawk at which will help bring the lines down a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ueeediot said:

My initial reaction to this is that it will be a 100% dud just like the nightly show.  If it is anything like the nightly show, this will just be a commercial for HHN houses with zero additional content.   Note to Universal, you don't need to market to people who have already bought their tickets.

While I can't speak for this new Halloween version I will say the the normal version of Cinematic Celebration is very popular with guests and probably the best night time show Universal has done in sometime. That being said, I'm not sure how many people are going to set aside their precious house time to see it. I think it'll end up just being a nice surprise for people who just happen to be walking by at the time sort of like The Director's Cut in 2006 or the 3 mini shows during 2012.

2 hours ago, marc said:

Lagoon show announced:

The lagoon show sounds cool however it not something I am going to go out of my way to go see, that being said I am concerned about the audio and lighting from the show bleeding into Central Park and killing the vibe of Vikings and to a lesser extent San Fran and Zombie

Edited by darkdelusions

Does Cinematic Celebration have a fixed projection screen as well as water projection screens?

Reason I ask is that I find it interesting that they have "Marathon" in the title, which implies a continuous show.

I suppose it's possible that they feel movie Marathons are somehow an 80's thing (I don't attach that concept to any particular decade).

But assuming they do have a fixed projection screen, how would you feel if they used it to show the many HHN related videos that we also see on queue line monitors, but every 15 min or so they do something specifically related to the house IPs - adding water and lighting effects.  That would technically be a marathon.

And don't be surprised if this show is being used to test the waters for something else, as they did with projections in the Acid Assault scarezone long ago.

When I saw "pop culture" in the description, Bill & Ted came to mind instantly (how could it not?).  I'd love it if they had snippets from some shows to gauge audience reaction and appetite for something happening in HHN 30.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zombieman said:

Does Cinematic Celebration have a fixed projection screen as well as water projection screens?

Not in it's current format.   It just uses the water spray to create a movie screen.  

And if you watch the video you'll see that the show is just basically commercials for the rides with parts of the rides in the show.   It's really nothing more than the marketing channel you see in your on site hotel room.

Here's to hoping HHN is better.

Edit: From the Universal site:

It may well run continuously and recycle hourly or it will be a 20 minute show 3 times a night?

A new lagoon show is debuting at Universal Studios Florida during Halloween Horror Nights on select nights Sept. 6 – Nov. 2. Watch as the lagoon transforms with a spectacle of neon and synth, featuring iconic scenes from top horror films, cult classics and TV shows in “Halloween Marathon of Mayhem”.

Grab a bucket of popcorn and get ready as the lagoon lights up with iconic scenes from Netflix’s Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, Universal Monsters and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. This new show features a blend of fountain-based media, state-of-the-art technologies and special effects in a new way. This is one 80’s nightmare you won’t want to miss.

Show times each event night are 10PM, 11PM and 12AM. Download the Official Universal Orlando Resort Mobile App for updates and more info. 

Edited by Ueeediot
  • Like 1

Yikes!  I watched through the JP part of the Cinematic Celebrations show...

While I've never seen that high a quality projection on a water screen, the content wears thin really fast.

The thought of that simply being replaced with scenes from ST, GB, Universal Monsters, and KKFOS does not sound like something that interests me, unless I'm exhausted and have a place to sit and watch.

Without a fixed screen, so much for a continuous show - so the idea of a "Marathon" is in name only.

I wonder if adjacent screzones will have to go quiet (or dark) during the shows.  The Simpsons area is usually filled with the sounds of carnival music and chainsaws.

I didn't even think about how this could impact nearby scare zones! I certainly hope when the show is active the near by zones don't have to go dark....I think that would be a huge mistake especially for 3 times a night that is to much....they have to keep them active the whole event....I hope

20 hours ago, Gambit said:

While I can't speak for this new Halloween version I will say the the normal version of Cinematic Celebration is very popular with guests and probably the best night time show Universal has done in sometime. That being said, I'm not sure how many people are going to set aside their precious house time to see it. I think it'll end up just being a nice surprise for people who just happen to be walking by at the time sort of like The Director's Cut in 2006 or the 3 mini shows during 2012.

I haven't seen the Cinematic Celebration show but Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle is hugely popular and very good IMO. I personally can't wait for this new show but I'm a sucker for neon and synth (I loved AOV: Cyberpunk last year). At the very least it might suck some crowds. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just spent 10 minutes of my Saturday morning watching the YouTube video of the Lagoon Marathon of Mayhem.   

I have really made a massive mistake here.   I've watched this without my wife and I am going to have to sit through this again.

When I speculated, back in August, that this would be a 100% dud, a commercial for the houses, and it would not provide any additional content.....I was only slightly wrong.  It is not a commercial for the houses, per say.  There is a scene of some classic monsters, but the rest is what looks like old VCR info projected onto the facade of buildings and music, lights, and water jetting into the sky.   

Truly it is horrifying that I may have to watch this again.

10 hours ago, Ueeediot said:

I just spent 10 minutes of my Saturday morning watching the YouTube video of the Lagoon Marathon of Mayhem.   

I have really made a massive mistake here.   I've watched this without my wife and I am going to have to sit through this again.

When I speculated, back in August, that this would be a 100% dud, a commercial for the houses, and it would not provide any additional content.....I was only slightly wrong.  It is not a commercial for the houses, per say.  There is a scene of some classic monsters, but the rest is what looks like old VCR info projected onto the facade of buildings and music, lights, and water jetting into the sky.   

Truly it is horrifying that I may have to watch this again.

You must have seen a pretty horrible recording if that is what you got out of it 

14 hours ago, Hhnsophmore said:

You must have seen a pretty horrible recording if that is what you got out of it 

Based on your comment I went to youtube and looked for another video.  And, you are right.  There were a lot more effects than in the first video I saw.  I guess maybe the effects were not on during that first show.

Still, it looks to be as expected.  

1 hour ago, Ueeediot said:

Based on your comment I went to youtube and looked for another video.  And, you are right.  There were a lot more effects than in the first video I saw.  I guess maybe the effects were not on during that first show.

Still, it looks to be as expected.  

Yea not much different than expected. I see it being something kinda cool to watch once for the 15 minutes it lasts and that is about it 

• 2 weeks later...

This show is a very fun way to liven up that section of the park for the event. It's got a great soundtrack, and the segements are fun representations of the content they are there to promote. The only one I didn't care for much was Stranger Things, but the rest was a blast, and I love the use of the Swan Lake theme that was used for the original Universal Dracula in the finale. Top notch choice. 

• Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to Halloween Marathon of Mayhem