HHN and Alcohol

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink alcohol when you attend HHN?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you really have to in order to have a good time?

• Yes
    • No

I'm just really curious. What, or perhaps more importantly, where is Chez Alcatraz?

I think some of the arguments being presented are without base. Are the "drunks" really the ones tearing up the houses? Or is that action just being attributed to the group without reason? I've been buzzed, drunk, whatever you wish to call it, a couple of times at HHN and HOS and I've never even thought of damaging a house or anything else.

In my experience a drunken asshole is usually also an asshole when sober, they are merely less inhibited when drinking.

Chez Alcatraz is the little outside bar in San Francisco near the fish restaurant.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience a drunken asshole is usually also an asshole when sober, they are merely less inhibited when drinking.

If you're a decent enough person, alcohol probably won't turn you into a raging prick. But if you are a prick to begin with, well...that's how props end up stolen, exit signs kicked in, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer the questions of the poll, yes and yes to have a better time!

Much like just about everyone else who is of legal drinking age I do enjoy drinking while I'm at the event. I do tend to pre-game before coming to the event as it is more expensive to drink while I'm at the event instead of elsewhere off property. However last year Cigarz did have a great deal for employees at their bar, so I did spend a good bit of time at Cigarz before actually venturing thru the entrance turnstiles. When I'm at the event I might buy a few drinks, but the very conveniently placed bars in the middle of the queue lines are quite tempting. I don't go to the event looking to get hammered, but I do go to the event trying to maintain a buzz as like others have said, it helps the experience by seemingly making one more jumpy.

Drinking at HHN is like drinking at any other large scale event like a hockey game or a concert. If it is something that is offered up to us, and we're legally allowed to do it then we're going to do it. Many people do it just to get into the event a bit more, it's all about being social. It is an individuals responsibility to know their limits, and to not get sloppy drunk and end up causing a scene. As long as people are able to do it responsibly I 100% support drinking at HHN, and I'll be there beer in hand!

Do I? Yes

Do I have to have a good time? No

Do I always? No

Usually I have one or two beers while in line and/or something to drink at dinner, but usually I don't get drunk and I still get pissed at the idiots that ruin HHN for others, but then again most of those jackoffs don't need to be drunk to do that. Just look at that apple that used to always get stolen on Snow White's Scary Adventure at Magic Kingdom, no alcohol in the park and no one should be drunk on that ride, but jerks still steal/stole that apple all the time and i'm sure similar things go on with any ride or attraction, it's one of the unfortunate things about having people that don't respect anything other than their own gratification, and unfortunately the theme parks are just full of them (coming from a five year vet of Disney lol i've met more than my fair share when working)

I honestly dont mind alcohol being served. What I mind is people who allow themselves to get extremely drunk. I was hit on by a drunk man who looked to be about my dad's age two years back; he made vulgar sexual comments to me and I was beyond scared. Being drunk isnt necessary to have fun at hhn. It affects the experience of the people around you sometimes.

Edited by LostAlice

First, People don't have to drink to have a good time. I am 46 don't drink and don't care to. Never cared for the taste, not a recovering alcoholic just not my thing. I have no Problem with people drinking at the event. What I have a problem with is People who get drunk at the event and use the excuse oh he is drunk. LIke OH because he is drunk he should have the right to ruin your fun. Oh I did forget to mention2 small facts, I was hit in 1985 by a drunk driver and totaled my 3 month old Camaro and they were driving with no Insurance so I had to pay for everything of my deductive and rental car. Also one of my best friends BF was killed and she severely injured by another drunk driver. But you know what it's OK they were Drunk...

Get my point, drink have a good time but NO ONE has the right to ruin anyone else's good time at the event. Have some drinks and enjoy but know your limit. I wish Universal would throw more idiots that don't know there limit out of the event and maybe people would get the message.. Also Oysterhead I am not Lying and don't find it funny that you put that comment up there that people that say NO were one of those 3... Sorry my opinion no trying to start anything but that is a broad generalization.

I'm kind of torn on the issue. I love hhn but I will say, initially the first few houses, I need a little liquid courage to calm the nerves if you know what I mean. We all hit up Margaritaville before going in the parks for that reason. You can drink and have fun. Do I think most of the people I've encountered drinking at hhn follow that thought? Not so much. It (to me at least) seems much more rare to encounter a slightly tipsy person enjoying their night and more common to get the belligerent arm swinging chick with puke on her pants cursing at the scareactors. I like Hollywood's no tolerance policy in theory and am sure a park full of comprehendable people is much more enjoyable than the sea of grain alcohol you tend to witness at Orlando but I admit I do like to drink there within reason.

LostAlice and jmorri26 hit the nail right on the head with their responses. The key words being WITHIN REASON and IT AFFECTS THE EXPERIENCE OF THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU SOMETIMES...

I almost didnt go last year because of my experience that night. I was just always srrounded by extremely drunk people in line and it made me uncomfortable to have to constantly keep my distance to avoid being puked on.

Where does all this mayhem happen?, I have been going for the last 6 years and have never

seen any displays of someone puking, fighting, destroying props. I do however see people

having a good time, drinking or not, laughing, screaming and running from the scareactors.

I guess it can happen, maybe I am just not looking for the drama. I will say that I have only

attended on non peak nights, if there is such a thing anymore, but I will be attending this year

over the weekend .So I might have a different opinion after this year.

Nevertheless, I hope everyone has a great time and no one gets hurled on.

I enjoy having a couple drinks, usually for during Bill and Ted. Having a slight buzz going makes me loosen up a little and enjoy myself more, even more willing to strike up a conversation with the people waiting in line around me. But after flying across the Atlantic and spending a years savings, I don't want to get $#!%-faced and not remember the night I had.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest lurking_grue

From the imbiber's point of view, there is a definite downside to overdrinking. I do normally drink at HHN, mostly for the same reasons others have posted. However, 1 year (16 I think), I found a bartender that made the best lime shots ever, and found myself over my limit before I realized it. Fortunately, I'm a happy and friendly lady whether sober or not, and I kept my cookies to myself, so hopefully I wasn't a burden to my fellow attendees. However, I don't have a very clear memory of two houses that I would have loved, Run and All Night Die-In 2. I very much regret, from my own perspective, that I missed 2 houses I was really looking forward to - even though I was inside each more than once!

Moral of the story - even if you know your limit, watch your limit!

On another note, I don't think I've hit Chez Alcatraz during the event, but I do love Finnegan's, HHN or no. I'll have to check out the crowd at Chez Alcatraz and say howdy!