HHN and Alcohol

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink alcohol when you attend HHN?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you really have to in order to have a good time?

• Yes
    • No

Is it really necessary to drink alcohal at Halloween Horror Nights in order for you to have fun???

Not for me. Believe it or not I don't drink alcohal. I just don't see the point in getting drunk just so you can have a good time. Now I understand that selling alcohal at HHN is a big money maker for them but do they have to have an alcohal or beer cart every 10 feet that you walk??? For me halloween horror nights is a blast without having to get drunk. Tell why or why not you do or don't drink alcohal at HHN.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not necessary. I'm 20 so I can't *legally* drink yet, and I still have a ton of fun at the event. But next year, I'll probably have a few drinks during the event. I don't like the assholes who get shitfaced, but a nice buzz can make you unaware of your surroundings and make the event even scarier. I wouldn't drink to the point to where I couldn't walk straight, but just a couple of drinks to get myself tipsy and feeling good. I can understand why people drink. It does make things more "fun". As long as you don't go overboard with it. I hate the obnoxious drunks. And Universal puts so many carts out to satisfy the demand. Have you seen the lines at the carts? Could you imagine if they cut the number of carts in half? Holy hell I couldn't imagine waiting in that line. They do it to satisfy consumer demand and to make as much money as possible.

I recall buying only a total of two drinks out of the 4 nights I was able to attend last year, and it wasn't for the purpose of getting drunk.. I don't really drink to get drunk anyway, and if I ever drink it's rare anyway. The specialty drink, "Hair of the Wolf" is what I got, and I think it's safe to say that it's Uni's grand evil plan to make one buy more than two to get effected much. I'm on vacation, but I'm still aware of what I'm doing and I drink responsibly... one for the night and I'm done, thanks.

So yes, I may buy one or two... but no, it's not necessary for me to get one to enjoy myself and I don't put it on my list of things I absolutely must do while at the event. If I pass by a stand and see there's not much of a wait, sure, I'll buy one and only one that night... it's just not in me to run right for the nearest 'bar' and order up every time I pass one.

Life isn't fair. Some people can try an addictive substance once and spiral out of control of their lives. Others will happily enjoy intoxicants without ever developing any dependency on them.

I am fortunate enough to be in the latter category. I could easily stop drinking and never take another sip again.

Therefore it is not at all necessary for me to drink to enjoy HHN.

But I usually do have a pint at Finnegan's.

Having a few drinks only makes the event that much more enjoyable. For many of us, this is the one time of year we let loose and have fun. We drink and we have a good time...end of story.

As Dr. Jimmy said, the vast majority of us know how to have a few drinks and enjoy ourselves. We don't have to drink to enjoy the event, we just choose to do so.

What's sad is everyone notices the sloppy, loud, obnxious drunks...many of us drink but don't go to such an extreme.

Alcohol has and always will be a huge part of HHN. It is a massive amount of revenue for Universal. HHN wouldn't remotely be the same as a "dry" event, the mere thought of that makes me cringe! Can you imagine HHN without a specialty drink, a shot or a beer?! Now THAT is scary... ;)

In HHN Hollywood (Which I normally attend.), they do not sell alcohol and I am very thankful for that. To me, I don't need to drink anything to have fun; I'll just stick with the Full Throttles, thank you. Besides, I would not be able to enjoy the event with a bunch of drunk, obnoxious people going about through the mazes.

Look at Knott's for example. I went last year on Thursday and had no trouble with drunks, but I heard a LOT of weird alcohol-related stories there. Some guy was peeing while he was walking (That was the same night I was there but managed to avoid it for some reason.), some scareactors were bruised and one even had his jaw broken from the obnoxious drunks punching and molesting them, and people would be loud, boisterous, and push the people over in front of them in the mazes. I heard they even kick out about 1,000 people every year on average for the Haunt; mainly because of drunk people.

In HHNH; however, it being a dry event, there are rarely any problems. Sure there's the occasional trouble-maker, but for the most part, not much trouble with the crowd. With that I am very, very thankful that HHN Hollywood is a dry event.

Let's just hope they don't decide to sell alcohol at HHNH one day, then we'll never have a trouble-free event ever again because of how much $$$ they would get out of it! :blink:

Oh yes!, I enjoy my time at HHN with a few drinks. It would'nt be the same

with out it. I don't like drunks, (who does?) they can be funny I guess. I think

most of the ones who become drunk, do so with out intention. They get caught up in the

party and BAM!! their drunk and theres not much you can do once you pass your limit.

PSA: Remember the prices, the more money you buy, the more drinks you need to bring.

Now for my serious answer...

Do you NEED to drink, no...of course not. If you don't drink that's great...I have a few friends who don't touch alcohol and I have a lot of respect for them knowing how much they had to be picked on in Highschool/College.

Do I drink, yes I do...and a lot. I go down with 3-8 other guys and we just have a blast. We're all mid-30s with real lives and jobs and not Fratboys who drink all the time. Also, we live in a range encompassing about 80 miles back here in NY. So we go to Florida together, have no job or family responsibilities, stay in a hotel 1 mile from Universal and take a $5 cab ride so driving is a non-factor, and we get to sleep in the next day.

Drinking also slows your reflexes and makes you less perceptive, and while this sounds like an alcoholic trying to justify their addiction, it sure adds to the scares you get when you're a group of middle aged men with no screaming girls with you and get very few scares.

Now, this might sound pompous, but we're cool drunks. We might be a little sillier, but we're HAPPY drunks...and not fighters or grabasses. So our drinking doesn't interfere with others enjoyment other than maybe an occasional bump or lean or something. If I went down there when I was 21 and on vacation...yeah...I'd be one of the assholes we all hate. At 36, I'm just some guy constantly with a beer in his hand who keeps to his group of friends :)

I tend not to drink at HHN. It's more amusing to watch all the drunks than be one. I also prefer to be aware of things so I can catch all the little details. Although drinking has become a big part of the "party" atmosphere and the majority of their cash flow. I definitely wouldn't miss it if they took it out of the event like Hollywood did. I wouldn't miss the obnoxious drunks either, however I would miss the entertaining drunks.

On the flip side of that. As an actor it's way easier to get a drunk person than it is a sober person because the alchohol makes people let their guard down. Then again I pride myself more on being able to get a sober person than someone who's had to many. The drunk persons reaction is always a lot more hysterical though. I guess as long as people aren't obnoxious I don't care. I just don't care to partake it in.

Im not gonna lie i think a couple of drinks is fine, you dont have to drink to enjoy yourself at HHN but its nice to let loose escape reality at HHN and have a couple of drinks i just cant stand the drunks that have to start shit there (ive dealt with this numerous of times) but yea a couple of drinks is fine just dont get drunk please lol

It is an unfortunate event when people cannot handle their drinks. Those such as Lyn (Hush), Oysterhead and myself all have the same opinion. I live in Georgia, so my trip to HHN every year is sometimes my only trip of the year and it includes buying the specialty shot or drink they offer plus a few souvenir shot glasses to take home to enjoy!

It truly stinks that the only memories some have of the event is the first beverage they enjoy at City Walk. Alcohol is an addictive substance that MANY do not know how to handle. I'm almost 30 and learned my limit years ago and seriously ladies lets face it alcohol is not the nicest look for our photo ops! Plus, I actually like to enjoy my memories of the houses, scarezones and best THE SCAREACTORS!

I find that most tourists do not respect themselves or the scareactors in that they have to be so drunk to walk into the houses that is causes problems. I hear it every year at the first bar we go to, there is always a male/female buying a drink and stating "I need some liquid courage to go in there" I can't tell you the amount of times when I was working when there wasn't some sort of drunk man/woman who made as a$$ of themselves because they were wasted. Although it did give us and the security guys some laughs, there were more times than not that my step dad (who was a paramedic at the time) had to make a stop near our Ship of Screams to help someone that had way too much to drink.

I look forward to having a drink with any dreamers out there who wish to enjoy a beverage with me in Oct! No we don't have to have the alcohol to have fun but boy oh boy does it usually give some great funny laughs during the event!

You asked two questions, and I was am only able to answer one on that poll.

Yes, I do drink at the event. I consider it "Liquid Courage". I am a chicken.. it is a known fact.. if I have a few drinks.. I am able to walk through a haunted house, and actually see what it going on. Do I get so drunk I don't know what is going on? No. I know what is going, and know what I am doing.

Do I have to drink to have a good time? Nope. I can have a great time with my friends without drinking, but when I go to Orlando that is my weekend to let loose and have fun. So I have a few.

I agree with everyone else - you asked 2 questions and we can only answer once! :-P

That being said, yes I drink at HHN (I don't get drunk though), but nah - you don't need to. You just gotta know yourself and those you go with. I don't think it should be a dry event. As long as security is doing their job, it's all good. :) And if they need help from a few helpful citizens... that can be arranged. lol

(If they ever did decide to change it to a dry event, I'd invest in a flask and call it a day. :) )

Booze is good. Seriously, after 7 or 7:30, lines get too long that I don't want to wait for the houses any more, so we drink. Spending time with friends and drinking at Chez Alcatraz is one of my favorite parts of HHN.

Now we know where to find you guys after the event starts, we certainly know where you are at during Stay & Scream :lol:

Not to far from us no less, :rolleyes:

Edited by akdar

I sometimes drink but I don't need it to have fun. However, I do it a little backwards. My best friend, my wife, and I go to a restaurant near Universal and have alcohol there, usually they are 2 for 1 specials or something. My wife, who doesn't drink, then drives us to the park, but unfortunately the buzz is pretty much gone by the time it gets dark out. I try my hardest not to buy anything on Universal property because it is so expensive.

I notice that although most of the posts seem to support responsible drinking, the non drinkers are winning the poll. Thus I would like to point out that although FDR and Winston Churchill both drank, Hitler was a fanatical teetotaler.

BHAHAHAHA, that made me spit my drink out. I would love to know the amount of members on this site who are not of legal age to drink, therefore would vote "NO" in the poll.