Academy of Villains: Altered States

Mark M.

EBy8qDbXkAACT61?format=jpg

Academy of Villains returns in an epic experiment of mind and body. Man’s true nature is dragged out into the dark, gothic streets of anarchy. This wickedly talented group of artists is back for an all-new performance featuring a killer mix of visionary dance and extraordinary theatrics in the Fear Factory Live Stage!

The dance got old real fast last year.  Partially because the theme (whatever it was supposed to be) didn't work with dance numbers.  The show was a mess, and I barely made it through one showing.

I hope they don't feel the need to:

1) Force audience participation (the wave, robot mode, etc)

2) Bring up unsuspecting audience members to force a dance off/sing off/etc

With the exception of House of Fear, all of their HHN shows have done something like this, and House of Fear was the only one I really enjoyed...it was so different than the other shows, and the only one that nailed an HHN atmosphere.  Shouldn't be that hard to recapture that.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 2:33 PM, zombieman said:

The dance got old real fast last year.  Partially because the theme (whatever it was supposed to be) didn't work with dance numbers.  The show was a mess, and I barely made it through one showing.

I hope they don't feel the need to:

1) Force audience participation (the wave, robot mode, etc)

2) Bring up unsuspecting audience members to force a dance off/sing off/etc

With the exception of House of Fear, all of their HHN shows have done something like this, and House of Fear was the only one I really enjoyed...it was so different than the other shows, and the only one that nailed an HHN atmosphere.  Shouldn't be that hard to recapture that.

I think House of Fear was by far their best show. And I didn't like the forced audience participation either. What worked the first two years was feeling like you were part of it because you chose to be part of it. Having to watch for symbols to tell you what to do doesn't make you feel like you're part of it, it makes you feel like you're being told what to do and just accept it.

• 3 weeks later...

HEY KID!

DO YOU LIKE SEEING THE SAME THING EVERY YEAR?

DOES WASTING TIME THAT COULD BE SPEND IN SCAREZONES OR HOUSES APPEAL TO YOU?

THEN OH BOY DO WE HAVE A SHOW FOR YOU!

Skip this crap. It brings nothing new and each year I see it the more my desire for the return of an excellent halloween adventure grows.

Edited by Bozo
  • Like 3

I think this year's show was MUCH better than the last two.  Is it better than the first year, House of Fear? It's pretty close.  However, I do agree and still believe AoV belongs on the main stage out in the park.

People that knock it, just can't seem to grasp the fact that B&T is gone.  Maybe you'll get your peace next year for the 30th, but that show ran it's course sorry to say.

Another truly awful show from aov. It's a high-school level talent show trying so desperately to be halloween-related that it features not one, but TWO Marilyn Manson singles! So edgy!!! Having this as the only real show continues to push the whole HHN Orlando event further into kid-friendly territory. It''s Depressing.

19 hours ago, Primusjim said:

Another truly awful show from aov. It's a high-school level talent show trying so desperately to be halloween-related that it features not one, but TWO Marilyn Manson singles! So edgy!!! Having this as the only real show continues to push the whole HHN Orlando event further into kid-friendly territory. It''s Depressing.

Trust me, it could be worse: Jabbawockeez.

I am a huge AoV fan and have been since House of Fear, so my review may mean very little, but I love this show. It's got the same style and setup as House of Fear mixed with the theatricality they showed off last year in Cyberpunk. Their level of energy, enthusiasm and love for what they do just pours out onto the stage, and I am always pleased when I leave the stadium. I wish they were back in the streets only because of how engaging it was to have them there, but they do a great job in Fear Factor Live, and anyone grumbling about them being there and not Bill and Ted need to let the past go. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

I recall writing that I'd be happy if they'd just present the same House of Fear show.  Was really surprised to see that they pretty much did just that, and now they are getting rave reviews.

To me, it's working because they did a show that understands it is at HHN.  Same thing with Marathon of Mayhem.  Who would have thought a freaking lagoon show would be one of the best shows in years?  When a show is catered to an event, it's hard to screw it up.

• Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to Academy of Villains: Altered States