Michele

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my Domke shoulder bag:

http://www.adorama.com/DMF5XZBW.html

Plenty of room for my DSLR with attached lens + two extra lenses. I also carry an extra battery, filter, lens caps, and other miscellaneous items in the front and back pockets.

I highly recommend Domke for camera bags. You can check out all their options here if you're looking for something smaller.:

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=430&tablename=domke

Edited by NickC

I love my Domke shoulder bag:

http://www.adorama.com/DMF5XZBW.html

Plenty of room for my DSLR with attached lens + two extra lenses. I also carry an extra battery, filter, lens caps, and other miscellaneous items in the front and back pockets.

I highly recommend Domke for camera bags. You can check out all their options here if you're looking for something smaller.:

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=430&tablename=domke

Thanks Nick, those look great :)

• 3 weeks later...

Really thinking about grabbing the D90 since the price went down because of the D7000 release. I can get the D90 w/ kit lens, 2 SDHC cards, a couple of UV filters, and a 55-300mm lens for the same price as the D7000 with just a kit lens...

But then I'm sacrificing the 1080p video, weatherproofing, magnesium body (I understand it's just the top and rear) and the use of ISO 3200 for more sensitivity with image quality similar to ISO 1600 on the D90 in low light. But will that really matter if I'm shooting with a f/1.8 prime? I could really use that telephoto lens. It's like $100 cheaper in the bundle than if I bought it separately too.

I'm just worried about the future. I feel like a D7000 would last me longer, as it's the newer model.

Edit: Bought the D7000 body by itself with a 55-200mm lens. I've heard the 55-200 is sharper (albeit, a little slower too) than the 18-105 and I figured the 35mm I'm buying here shortly will be good to cover those wider shots. Those two should last me a good while. If anything, next thing I'd probably buy is the 70-300mm if for some reason I want more range. But that probably won't be for a couple of years.

I also bought a fast SD card (dual card slots on the D7k is AWESOME) and a BlackRapid R-strap to prevent neck strain. Only things on the list now are a couple of UV filters, an extra battery and a bag. A tripod and external flash will come later.

BRING ON HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS!

I'm waiting for Nikon to release a D90 upgrade. I have a D90, and I want a new camera with 1080 video. I don't want to go to Canon because I have lenses. I'm not quite sure about the D7000. I know there are problems with hot pixels. But I heard that Nikon has fixed (or tried to fix) this problem. Hows the video quality for you, Grime?

I'm also waiting to see if they announce the rumored D8000 later this year.

I'm waiting for Nikon to release a D90 upgrade. I have a D90, and I want a new camera with 1080 video. I don't want to go to Canon because I have lenses. I'm not quite sure about the D7000. I know there are problems with hot pixels. But I heard that Nikon has fixed (or tried to fix) this problem. Hows the video quality for you, Grime?

I'm also waiting to see if they announce the rumored D8000 later this year.

The video on the D7k is great, just don't rely on the auto focus. It takes a good while for it to gain focus on your subject, then if they move it completely loses focus. And you can hear the motor cranking attempting to focus in all of your clips.

But I didn't get this camera for video primarily, so it's all good. The 5D Mk.II still seems to be where all of the videographers are going these days, but yeah, all of your lenses would then be useless (unless you've got some Sigmas or something)

And D8000? Really? It hasnt even been a year for the D7k yet :\

Edit: I also got my BlackRapid RS-4 strap today and it is AMAZING. If you hate the neck strain that normal straps put around your neck, this thing is highly recommended.

Only things on the list now are a couple of UV filters, an extra battery and a bag. A tripod and external flash will come later.

When I first got our D90 I had UV filters on it, went to HHN and it was hell. You get a lot of light flare off them, took them off and everything was MUCH better. Now I didn't buy high end UV filters, but I did get mid-range priced ones. The external flash helps greatly when you need to shoot with a flash which you can also swivel and bounce in different directions. Low light shooting is tough no matter what, specially with movement. All I can say is practice A LOT. :)

I also don't carry the camera in a bag as it's a pain in the ass to take in and out all the time when I want to take a shot, not to mention lugging around all that gear. I just bring the lens I want that night and a good lens cover and I'm good to go. When going through houses as long as your lens cap is on there will be no issues.

Dude that is cool. I may have to get one of those :)

Yeah man, the video is a little dated and they've got several newer models in now. The RS-4 (what I got) is basically just the strap with a small pocket for holding memory cards, ID, money, or what have you. The RS-5 has a cell phone holder and a larger pocket and the RS-7 I believe has all of that, plus connectors for many of their optional mods. The strap is a bit pricey, but a friend of mine has had his for over 2 years with no problems at all. A few people question how safe it is to let your camera hang by its tripod mount, but I can't find a single incident on google where the camera has fallen off of the strap. Theres a video somewhere of somebody literally swinging the camera above their head on it, and the strap is tested on over 400lbs.

When I first got our D90 I had UV filters on it, went to HHN and it was hell. You get a lot of light flare off them, took them off and everything was MUCH better. Now I didn't buy high end UV filters, but I did get mid-range priced ones. The external flash helps greatly when you need to shoot with a flash which you can also swivel and bounce in different directions. Low light shooting is tough no matter what, specially with movement. All I can say is practice A LOT. :)

I also don't carry the camera in a bag as it's a pain in the ass to take in and out all the time when I want to take a shot, not to mention lugging around all that gear. I just bring the lens I want that night and a good lens cover and I'm good to go. When going through houses as long as your lens cap is on there will be no issues.

I agree and I don't see myself bringing a bag to HHN or to any single-day event. But I do go to a lot of conventions, parks, and other multi-day events where I would need something to take my equipment with me. I'm probably going to hold off on filters too. At least for now.

The 5D is a bit out of my price range. As for the D8000, that's just the rumored name. It may not be, but everyone is waiting for a true D90 upgrade. So we'll see!

Maybe I fail to see how the 16.2MP sensor, 25,600 maximum ISO, 14-bit RAW files, 30fps 720p/24fps 1080p video, external mic input, 6fps continuous mode, 100% coverage viewfinder, 39-point AF system, 2016 pixel RGB sensor, magnesium upper and rear plates, dual card slots, among a few other smaller changes don't make this a true successor to the D90 without going to a pro body.

I've been reading all over TONS of forums and blogs about Nikon prosumer bodies for the last 6 months and have never heard anything about another possible D90 replacement. Could you provide a link?

I was at CEO 2011 this weekend, which takes place at the Wyndham Resort off of Sand Lake and I-Drive. I walked around a bit waiting for SSF:AE finals to start and took a few pics. Here's a few I think turned out decent. All shot with a 55-200mm f/4. Let me know what you think.

Edit: Photos removed.

Maybe I fail to see how the 16.2MP sensor, 25,600 maximum ISO, 14-bit RAW files, 30fps 720p/24fps 1080p video, external mic input, 6fps continuous mode, 100% coverage viewfinder, 39-point AF system, 2016 pixel RGB sensor, magnesium upper and rear plates, dual card slots, among a few other smaller changes don't make this a true successor to the D90 without going to a pro body.

I've been reading all over TONS of forums and blogs about Nikon prosumer bodies for the last 6 months and have never heard anything about another possible D90 replacement. Could you provide a link?

The Nikon D7000 is really an upgrade. I'm just waiting to see if they release anything else that might tickle my fancy on the video side of things. We shall see. I'll most likely purchase the D7000. It seems like cameras get spit out so quickly, which is why I'm waiting. I'll have to look for links when I have time, I'm sure there still there. A lot of the rumors were of the D7000 I believe, but I think I read about D8000. I'll go look.

I thought about selling my Canon HV40. I'm not sure yet. I was rather disappointing with it. Not versatile enough for me, and it really limits creativity in some cases. We'll see. I guess it depends on how much I can get for it.

Edited by Goo

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what Canon offers in the way of fast lenses, but I just bought myself a 35mm f/1.8 for HHN. Generally you want something with a wider aperture to let more light in, which would be a lower f/#. Most HHN photography I see is shot with a 1.4 or 1.8. There is a whole thread dedicated to HHN photography over in the General HHN Orlando subforum. I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

Thanks! I can't remember my logic in posting here instead of the HHN one, lol. I think a better question would have been, should I buy a zoom lens first or a better nighttime lens? I do want to get good pictures at HHN but the lens I have may be fine for that. I know you have the Nikon but do you find zoom worth the extra dollars or do you end up not using it enough?

It depends on what you plan on shooting. There is really no one great "go to" lens for everything. I have a 55-200 that I am using for daytime shots whenever I go out to a park or an outdoor event because it's not incredibly fast, but it will let me zoom on things. I take this lens to Universal, Disney, etc. Any day trips. My 35mm has a much shorter focal length, but is much faster and can be used in almost any situation that doesnt require me to zoom, so it's become my primary walk-around lens.

There's a lot of things to learn about different lenses. If you're looking for something cheap (price wise of course, not build quality) then you usually have to settle for either distance, or speed. Getting both in one lens will cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. My recommendation to you is to look up a wide, fast prime lens for landscapes and HHN (something between 30-50mm that's at least f/2.0) and then a slower telephoto lens for long range shots. Your 18-55mm kit lens can fill in everything inbetween.

To give you an estimation on prices, I paid $200 for my 35mm f/1.8 and $250 for my 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 brand new, and they both deliver very high quality shots, I just have to pick and choose which one I need to use when.

Google is your best friend. Find a lens within your price range on Adorama, Ritz, Best Buy, etc. and find some reviews on it. See what people are saying. The great thing about lenses is they lose barely any value over the course of several years. So if you really find yourself wanting to get deeper into the hobby, you can always turn those cheaper lenses around and sell them for almost the same amount that you paid for them as long as they're taken care of and buy some new, fancier lenses.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...